PDA

View Full Version : iOS 7 runs "warm" on iPhone 4S.

Traverse
Sep 19, 2013, 11:38 PM
Hi,

I upgraded my iPhone 4S to iOS 7 on the 18th. I'm actually pleasantly surprised by its fluidity, but I noticed two annoying things:

Battery Drain is somewhat higher.
My phone gets much warmer under less use than iOS 6

I assumed it was the parallax (I like it, but I actually find it a little distracting), well I disabled it and I feel that my iPhone is running cooler and somewhat better battery life.

I guess the A5 is working overtime, have any of you noticed this?

Armen
Sep 19, 2013, 11:53 PM
Hi,

I upgraded my iPhone 4S to iOS 7 on the 18th. I'm actually pleasantly surprised by its fluidity, but I noticed two annoying things:

Battery Drain is somewhat higher.
My phone gets much warmer under less use than iOS 6

I assumed it was the parallax (I like it, but I actually find it a little distracting), well I disabled it and I feel that my iPhone is running cooler and somewhat better battery life.

I guess the A5 is working overtime, have any of you noticed this?

My iPhone 5 did that In Beta 6.

settings > general > reset > reset settings, reset network.

IF that doesn't work restore the phone as NEW.

Traverse
Sep 19, 2013, 11:58 PM
Thank you for the reply, but this is a fresh install...

freemannnn
Sep 20, 2013, 12:31 AM
this is happened to me also when i did fresh install in the gm.
after restoring to 6.1.3 and update to 7 does not feel so warm.
strange world!

Armen
Sep 20, 2013, 12:34 AM
Can you check iMessage to see if its activated or bouncing back and forth between on/off?

Michael CM1
Sep 20, 2013, 12:38 AM
My iPhone 5 did that In Beta 6.

settings > general > reset > reset settings, reset network.

IF that doesn't work restore the phone as NEW.

This. Also turn off unnecessary background app refresh. Just found out about that today.

Armen
Sep 20, 2013, 12:40 AM
This. Also turn off unnecessary background app refresh. Just found out about that today.

found out today with background refresh off find my friends doesnt work :confused:

I'm anticipating 7.0.1 soon.

jfware
Sep 20, 2013, 12:53 AM
My 5 drains the battery using ios 7 as well. Hopefully this will be addressed with an update.

Other than that I am happy with ios 7.

benji888
Sep 20, 2013, 12:54 AM
Settings>General>Background App Refresh ...turn off anything you don't need here.

Settings>Privacy>Location Services ...see if something is using location services that you are not using (scroll to bottom for notes on what arrow colors mean). I had an old app I wasn't using that was using location services, kept it on even though the app wasn't even open.

If you have automatic updates on, it could be doing this in the background without your knowledge, adding processor usage which can warm up the phone, (Settings>iTunes & App Store).

darkfiber
Sep 20, 2013, 01:04 AM
After I did the OTA upgrade on my iPhone 4S from 6.1.3 to 7, I of course played around with it a lot, downloaded and ran a bunch of apps. The phone got warm I would imagine from the amount of use. After I closed out all the apps and rebooted it, I haven't noticed it getting warm anymore.

benji888
Sep 20, 2013, 01:10 AM
one more thing:

Settings>Privacy>Location Services>System Services> ...a couple things here may keep the processor going...Frequent Locations, Traffic ...these are working in the background also, learning places you frequent and adding traffic info in Notifications Today tab once it learns where you frequently drive. If you don't want this, turn these off. (This is also where you find the switch for Location-Based iAds).

If these don't help...you may have an app that isn't updated for iOS 7 that is running in the background for some reason, you could try quitting apps you're not using with multitasker.

Armen
Sep 20, 2013, 01:18 AM
one more thing:

Settings>Privacy>Location Services>System Services> ...a couple things here may keep the processor going...Frequent Locations, Traffic ...these are working in the background also, learning places you frequent and adding traffic info in Notifications Today tab once it learns where you frequently drive. If you don't want this, turn these off. (This is also where you find the switch for Location-Based iAds).

If these don't help...you may have an app that isn't updated for iOS 7 that is running in the background for some reason, you could try quitting apps you're not using with multitasker.

I thought the traffic was the traffic being displayed on Apple maps app?

benji888
Sep 20, 2013, 01:39 AM
I thought the traffic was the traffic being displayed on Apple maps app?
That's different, which, I guess, is why Apple buried this setting. Apple has added some automated AI that learns where (and when) you travel and eventually adds a travel summary in Today tab of notifications...tells you how long it will take you to get to work today, for example, using traffic info for the route you frequent. This is outside of using Maps app. You can still turn traffic info on and off within Maps.

It also finds popular apps nearby, puts these in App Store "Near Me" tab. ("Popular Near Me" switch in that setting)

I'm just guessing all these little things add up to a warm iPhone, and faster battery drain. This is partly why, I think, Apple added the M7 co-processor to help lighten the processor load and run these kinds of things in the background with it getting warm. (And conserving battery power).

http://www.apple.com/ios/whats-new/#notification-center

Also if you read about multitasking, iOS 7 learns what you do, when you do it.

Traverse
Sep 20, 2013, 07:57 AM
Thanks everyone! I will try your advice!

I've already disabled most background refreshes.
I turned off automatic updates
I disabled frequent locations

I'll try the traffic setting as well, but I I've seen an improvement with the parallax off.