PDA

View Full Version : Spotlight is very difficult to access in IOS 7 – a big step backward!!!

Georgetown
Sep 20, 2013, 02:02 AM
You can no longer access the Spotlight search function by pushing the home button. You have to move your finger up the screen and swipe downwards. But if you swipe from too high, you get the Notification screen. If you don’t swipe in a vertical line, you cause the screen to switch to the next page of app icons.

This is crazy. The old IOS gave us direct access to the most important function of the iPhone with a single click.

Then when Spotlight is activated, the type is white type on grey - which is not very legible. What is wrong with good old fashioned black type on white - which is s much easier to read, especially when you are on the run and want to quickly glance down at your phone for a contact or other piece of information.

I doubt Steve Jobs would have allowed this. He loved good design, but he never allowed design to triumph of functional simplicity.

Apple, for goodness sake, please bring back direct access to Spotlight through the Home button - and make the typography more legible.
:mad:

jfware
Sep 20, 2013, 02:06 AM
You have to be kidding.

Difficult to access? Seriously?

It's freakin easy

Puonti
Sep 20, 2013, 02:08 AM
Considering that nothing happens when you press the home button on the first page of your home screen, nothing would be lost if doing so brought the search bar down in iOS 7. Same as in iOS 6, while also accessible with the new downward swipe from every other page (a definite improvement).

The new way works fine for me, no problems accessing search.

dictoresno
Sep 20, 2013, 02:15 AM
its so easy to access that i hit it by accident all the time

cyks
Sep 20, 2013, 02:28 AM
You have to move your finger up the screen and swipe downwards.

Up the screen? You know you can swipe downwards from any point on the screen. Just pick a clear spot between folders and pull down.

dictoresno
Sep 20, 2013, 02:43 AM
Up the screen? You know you can swipe downwards from any point on the screen. Just pick a clear spot between folders and pull down.

it can be anywhere, even on folder or icons. its kinda hard to screw up. i feel bad for the OP if theres this much trouble pulling down on a big screen.

sandwicher
Sep 20, 2013, 03:13 AM
Another "Steve wouldn't have allowed this"

Yeah right.

Michael CM1
Sep 20, 2013, 03:25 AM
Another "Steve wouldn't have allowed this"

Yeah right.

Until there's a Blu-ray Disc drive in a Mac, all of those "Steve wouldn't have allowed this" lines are bunk. But Steve literally would never have allowed BD drives. Oh, and if iPhones were to run off Android, then yeah, that too. Otherwise, no.

bbfc
Sep 20, 2013, 03:26 AM
You can no longer access the Spotlight search function by pushing the home button. You have to move your finger up the screen and swipe downwards. But if you swipe from too high, you get the Notification screen. If you don’t swipe in a vertical line, you cause the screen to switch to the next page of app icons.

This is crazy. The old IOS gave us direct access to the most important function of the iPhone with a single click.

Then when Spotlight is activated, the type is white type on grey - which is not very legible. What is wrong with good old fashioned black type on white - which is s much easier to read, especially when you are on the run and want to quickly glance down at your phone for a contact or other piece of information.

I doubt Steve Jobs would have allowed this. He loved good design, but he never allowed design to triumph of functional simplicity.

Apple, for goodness sake, please bring back direct access to Spotlight through the Home button - and make the typography more legible.
:mad:

Looks like somebody else who doesn't like change.

boomhower
Sep 20, 2013, 03:53 AM
It's very simple. This is a change I love.

Svengali
Sep 20, 2013, 03:54 AM
Are you kidding? This is one of the easiest things to do. You literally have almost your whole screen to swipe downwards from, I don't see why it's such a big issue for you, it's not hard at all.

The Phazer
Sep 20, 2013, 04:06 AM
If anything, it's way *too* easy to access. I keep hitting it all the time when trying to swipe sideways and I really hope Apple will adjust the angle to make it harder eventually.

Macman45
Sep 20, 2013, 04:12 AM
It's annoying if you happen to be in a browser, but if you swipe sown about two inches below the top of the screen then it works fine...If you swipe at the top it'll take you to the today screen...You do get used to it, but I haven't found a way to do it when in mail or in Safari...Not really a big deal for me as I don't tend to use search that much but I do understand the gripe.

bbfc
Sep 20, 2013, 04:31 AM
It's annoying if you happen to be in a browser, but if you swipe sown about two inches below the top of the screen then it works fine...If you swipe at the top it'll take you to the today screen...You do get used to it, but I haven't found a way to do it when in mail or in Safari...Not really a big deal for me as I don't tend to use search that much but I do understand the gripe.

You've never been able to access spotlight when in apps.

Macalway
Sep 20, 2013, 05:05 AM
I think it has improved quite a bit, like most other things ( sans the blinding white ;) )

Not sure what you are doing

robertk328
Sep 20, 2013, 05:34 AM
The best part for me is it can be accessed from any page. Used to be you had to be on the main page to access spotlight - but not now. I just do a simple drag down from the top row of icons and it shows up. Go above the icons and you get notification center. :)

jaenicky
Sep 20, 2013, 05:44 AM
come on man, its about the easiest thing you can do on ios7.

Fzang
Sep 20, 2013, 05:49 AM
The old IOS gave us direct access to the most important function of the iPhone with a single click.

If you're referring to Spotlight, then it has never and will never be the most important function of the iPhone.

TroyBoy30
Sep 20, 2013, 06:44 AM
If you're referring to Spotlight, then it has never and will never be the most important function of the iPhone.

agreed. ive never used it. i know where all of my stuff is