Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
dberg said:
has anyone had any issues intalling new memory for the quad?

I ordered 2 x 512 from here :

http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merc...=M&Product_Code=140695&Category_Code=OCZ_DDR2

and when it boots i get some wierd memory checksum error. Tried it with just the 2 x 512 and got some funky beeps and the fans went into mayhem. Any idea what could be at fault here ?

thanks
adam

Return it and buy some from a reputable dealer.

OWC, Crucial, NewEgg.....

If the price looks too good to be true it probably is.

dberg

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2005
so you guys think the memory is bad ?

should i return it ?

dberg

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2005
is there any way to confirm the mem is bad ?

it is OCZ memory, its not some no-name brand. Just seems wierd. But i guess if only 1 of the 2 are bad, the whole system wont work due to the paired issue right ?

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
I don't think the memory is necessarily bad. I think the RAM is not guaranteed to work in a Mac. Macs are picky about RAM. Return it (if they let you, you may have to pay a restocking fee if they say the RAM is not defective). Do yourself a favor and go to a dealer that has Mac specific RAM. The only two memory places I shop for my Mac are datamem.com and crucial.com.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
dberg said:
it is OCZ memory, its not some no-name brand.
Just because it is a brand name doesn't mean it will work in a Mac. Crucial for instance has RAM and a more expensive Mac RAM. The regular RAM may work, but it's not worth the risk that it may not.

dberg

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2005
just doesnt make sense. Assuming the memory is good, it has the exact specifications that the manual requires for additional memory.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
dberg said:
just doesnt make sense. Assuming the memory is good, it has the exact specifications that the manual requires for additional memory.
Not all specifications are posted. Such things like how many chips are on the stick make little difference in PCs, but are very important to a Mac. There are other little RAM nuances that are very relative for a Mac.

Edit: Here is an example
Stick1 Stick2
Both sticks seem identical. Stick1 is guaranteed to work in a Mac. Stick2 may or my not work in a Mac.

dberg

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2005
thanks for the examples. Just seems kinda silly that apple supports installing more ram, yet ram that seems an identical match to their requirements may not work. very frustrating.

not to mention that Monarch wont take returns on memory , only exchanges so now looks like i am out of luck with this identical memory that wont work.

dberg

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2005
ordered the certified RAM from OWC. $92 for 2x512 for the quad. cost me $13 restocking fee with Monarch b/c they wont do full refund. Apple says nothing they can do except to use certified memory users, since the macs are very picky about their ram.

oh well guess it is a $13 learning experience. Certified mac resellers only.

thanks for all the help and info guys.

dberg

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2005
yeah they were a few bucks more, so i went with OWC. Hopefully no issues.

dberg

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2005
just wanted to say thanks to you guys for the advice. got my 2x512 from OWC today for my quad and it works perfectly.

thanks for all the help here, just figured i would post something good about OWC since so far everything has been great from them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.