PDA

View Full Version : iTunes Radio

boomhower
Sep 20, 2013, 04:19 AM
Can you like and dislike songs alla Pandora? I can't seem to find it if so.

darkfiber
Sep 20, 2013, 04:42 AM

No that I have found. However, on the "Now Playing" screen you can press the Star icon (just to the left of the Pause button) and you can tell it to "Play more songs like this" or "Never Play This Song Again"

Here is the new iPhone user guide for iOS 7...

http://help.apple.com/iphone/7/

SirHaakon
Sep 20, 2013, 05:44 AM
No that I have found. However, on the "Now Playing" screen you can press the Star icon (just to the left of the Pause button) and you can tell it to "Play more songs like this" or "Never Play This Song Again"
(which is exactly what "liking" and "disliking" songs in Pandora does...)

thelatinist
Sep 20, 2013, 09:06 AM
I actually find it much less necessary to do that in iTunes Radio than Pandora. iTunes seems much better at anticipating my tastes, and it doesn't try to foist cheaper unknown artists on me. I'm sure if I set a station for discovery it would be different, but I'm much more satisfied with the selection iTunes comes up with than anything Pandora does.

From A Buick 8
Sep 20, 2013, 09:10 AM

As others have stated, yes you can (in stations you create), just use the *

I did find that on some of the iTunes radio provided stations the only option under the * is to add the song to your wish list.

boomhower
Sep 20, 2013, 12:04 PM
Thanks guys. My problem was I was mainly listening to the iTunes stations which you can't. Got it straight now.

mrcalabash
Sep 20, 2013, 12:41 PM
I'm disappointed they didn't get the licenses to play or chose not to play full classical pieces--only individual movements. No different from pandora. This keeps it at the level of a pops channel, one not for snobbish listeners like me.

I don't understand why a regular radio station or streaming radio station can play full pieces but not this or pandora.

thelatinist
Sep 20, 2013, 02:37 PM
I'm disappointed they didn't get the licenses to play or chose not to play full classical pieces--only individual movements. No different from pandora. This keeps it at the level of a pops channel, one not for snobbish listeners like me.

I don't understand why a regular radio station or streaming radio station can play full pieces but not this or pandora.

A regular radio station does not have to negotiate licenses or pay royalties to performers. Only writers are paid any royalties for radio play, and for classical music this is mostly irrelevant. Streaming audio services, on the other hand, have to pay royalties to performers and studios and therefore have to negotiate agreements for them. The only incentive for studios to make such deals is to promote music discovery and to get you to buy songs or complete albums. Allowing you to stream an entire album-length concerto is simply not in their best interest (any more than it would be in the studios' interest to let you stream an entire pop or rock album).

DriveByPoster
Sep 20, 2013, 02:50 PM
My problem with iTunes Radio so far is this:
My radio stations do not play the artist that the station was made for. For instance, I have Depeche Mode radio, and the first song will be a DM song but then another one will not be played, even if I star one and select play more like this. However, if I star another artist in that station, it will play the hell out of that artist. I do have it set to variety, but I wouldn't think that would mean to play one song by that artist and nothing else. Other than that, it's great.

RockabillyKid
Sep 20, 2013, 03:24 PM
Are we able to shuffle our stations like Pandora? i could not find the answer anywhere.

JoeShades
Sep 20, 2013, 03:45 PM
Are we able to shuffle our stations like Pandora? i could not find the answer anywhere.

No and that is a big negative

james92se
Sep 20, 2013, 04:06 PM
My problem with iTunes Radio so far is this:
My radio stations do not play the artist that the station was made for. For instance, I have Depeche Mode radio, and the first song will be a DM song but then another one will not be played, even if I star one and select play more like this. However, if I star another artist in that station, it will play the hell out of that artist. I do have it set to variety, but I wouldn't think that would mean to play one song by that artist and nothing else. Other than that, it's great.

My biggest complaint other than stations not matching their titles (for example one of them was called like "80's pop hits" but plays late 90's R&B) is that a lot of it is totally obscure crap. Not all of us are hipsters who claim to enjoy obscure music simply because it's obscure or unpopular (because you know, as soon as an artist gains notoriety he/she is a sell-out and should be shunned). So Apple needs to knock that off.

Oddly enough your complaint about iTunes Radio is exactly why I never much liked Pandora. If I set a station based on artist on Pandora, it would play a song by that artist first, then the rest was just stuff that was supposedly similar but usually wasn't. It's a bit counter-intuitive because going into it you assume the "Elvis Presley Station" (just as an example, don't know if that is or isn't one) would play Elvis Presley songs.

Of course this is all moot for me now anyway seeing as my iTunes Radio completely disappeared from my phone the other day.

latsyrhc
Sep 20, 2013, 04:42 PM
i feel like i have a very wide taste in music, so my pandora station is set to play everything from the les miserables soundtrack to nirvana. with with itunes radio, even if i try getting it to play musicals, it just keeps playing the same handful of similar-sounding artists, some of which i don't really care for. and i've tried toggling to and from every setting (hits, variety, discovery). so after letting it do its thing all morning (i was trying to let it "get to know" me), i gave up and went back to pandora.

eclipse01
Sep 20, 2013, 04:46 PM
Is everything edited in Itunes music?

I made an old school rap station and all it is playing is edited rap songs.

AppleRobert
Sep 20, 2013, 05:31 PM
Can I listen to whole albums like Spotify allows when you subscribe and then download it to the iPad or iPhone you are using?

BasicGreatGuy
Sep 20, 2013, 05:32 PM
Can I listen to whole albums like Spotify allows when you subscribe and then download it to the iPad or iPhone you are using?

Not that I have seen.

RockabillyKid
Sep 20, 2013, 06:26 PM
No and that is a big negative
I agree that is a big negative. Just when I was beginning to get used to this over Pandora. I always shuffle my stations. Hopefully this gets rectified soon.

PeteLP
Sep 20, 2013, 06:47 PM
Is everything edited in Itunes music?

I made an old school rap station and all it is playing is edited rap songs.

I believe this answers your issue:

- From the "Now Playing" Screen:
Tap the Circled "i" centered above the album art.

- A new screen appears. Then, in the "Tune This Station" section:
Turn on "Allow Explicit Tracks".

AppleRobert
Sep 22, 2013, 12:35 PM
Not that I have seen.

For free it is a streaming music radio much like Pandora I guess.

If they make it like Spotify whereby you pay and can access full albums and download to the device and play offline, I would go for it.

Blau
Sep 22, 2013, 11:22 PM
I've noticed that songs I star as "play more like this" on the music.app sometimes are unmarked if the song plays again later.

I've had much more luck listening on iTunes, and after using it this past weekend starring songs, and manually entering in other artists, I'm finally starting to get a good mix of artists and songs without any repeats.

Also found out you can change your station name (on iTunes, not sure about the music.app). Not sure if the cover picture of stations can be changed, seems to be based off the artist/genre/song you originally created the station from. The changes from iTunes appear on the phone after syncing.

Really loving this; haven't touched Pandora for nearly a month now.

eclipse01
Sep 23, 2013, 10:01 AM
I believe this answers your issue:

- From the "Now Playing" Screen:
Tap the Circled "i" centered above the album art.

- A new screen appears. Then, in the "Tune This Station" section:
Turn on "Allow Explicit Tracks".

Thank you, this was annoying me big time