PDA

View Full Version : iOS 7 is killing my iPhone 5 battery!!

redshovel
Sep 20, 2013, 05:50 AM
Since installing iOS 7 my battery is dissipating faster than ever before. It's not even going to last half a day.... Not meaning to sound dramatic ....but my iPhone is effectually useless now.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/20/anutyhyr.jpg

navodwickra
Sep 20, 2013, 05:51 AM
Try turning off background app refresh.

adamgbiggs
Sep 20, 2013, 05:51 AM
Try a restore, it may help.
Apple need to sort this out ASAP.

Adam.

redshovel
Sep 20, 2013, 05:53 AM
I have followed all the battery saving advice tips I can find, including background app refreshing, and still the battery plummets when I use the iPhone!

sim667
Sep 20, 2013, 05:55 AM
Wait a sec, 87% battery usage when you've charged it up 15 hours ago and have used it for 2 of those 15 hours isnt really that bad?!

My battery usage has improved with the update

Enco
Sep 20, 2013, 06:01 AM
That's awful.

Definitely a bug or something gone wrong.

I'm at 20% remaining with 4 hours usage and 1 day standby. I have 3G on, Wifi on, location services and background app refresh.

iPhone 4S.

Maybe try a clean install.

redshovel
Sep 20, 2013, 06:03 AM
Wait a sec, 87% battery usage when you've charged it up 15 hours ago and have used it for 2 of those 15 hours isnt really that bad?!

My battery usage has improved with the update

"Isn't really that bad"..... U are joking??. My iPhone 5 was getting 6 hours use on the same charge with ios6. For the first time ever today I am having to carry around a USB recharge unit.
And it's as well I have became below is my usage will all battery saving tips in place and screen brightness whacked rite down! http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/20/ga9unyny.jpg

----------

That's awful.

Definitely a bug or something gone wrong.

I'm at 20% remaining with 4 hours usage and 1 day standby. I have 3G on, Wifi on, location services and background app refresh.

iPhone 4S.

Maybe try a clean install.

Clean install.....never had to before so....how does that go again :)

Pagemakers
Sep 20, 2013, 06:04 AM
I used up from 100% to 13% queuing to buy the 5S today - 4 hours.

cirial
Sep 20, 2013, 06:05 AM
Reset all content and settings, then restore from your iCloud backup. After I did this my iphone 5 lasted the longest I've seen in awhile before shutting off (6 hrs usage and over 1 day standby)

gaiao
Sep 20, 2013, 06:07 AM
I'm losing around 1% every 1-3 minutes on safari... Auto brightness is turned off, wifi off, parallex off, Bluetooth off, location services off for most services..
I'm with excellent coverage.
Nothing else is running.
I don't like ios7 very much so far...

Oh and I installed ios7 on Recovery mode.

redshovel
Sep 20, 2013, 06:08 AM
Thank you for advice.....will try a clean install then when I get home. Hope it makes a difference.

The Phazer
Sep 20, 2013, 06:09 AM
I really don't think any of the supposed fixes do much. There's clearly a big issue that happened between Beta 6 and the GM, and we're going to have to wait for a fix.

Zerilos
Sep 20, 2013, 06:09 AM
My battery was doing poorly as well (however not nearly as bad as the OP). I disabled weather, many location services, parallax and auto update. Now doing rather well. Didn't care about those options anyway. Brightness set to around 35%.

sim667
Sep 20, 2013, 06:12 AM
"Isn't really that bad"..... U are joking??. My iPhone 5 was getting 6 hours use on the same charge with ios6. For the first time ever today I am having to carry around a USB recharge unit.
And it's as well I have became below is my usage will all battery saving tips in place and screen brightness whacked rite down! Image (http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/20/ga9unyny.jpg)

----------

Clean install.....never had to before so....how does that go again :)

On iOS 6 I was lucky to get through a working day with more than 10% Battery left. Yesterday I got through and entire working day with 60% left...... Hence my bemusement that you think 15 hours on a battery is bad.

Eresin
Sep 20, 2013, 06:12 AM
I hope you find a working solution.
On a slightly less serious note
http://i.imgur.com/PnO9tei.jpg (http://imgur.com/PnO9tei)

Mr.Chow
Sep 20, 2013, 07:56 AM
I have the same issue. What I found out so far is that when I'm at home and connected to wifi that battery usage is as good as in iOS 6. Maybe turning off wifi when you're on cellular may work?! Haven't tried that yet.

redshovel
Sep 20, 2013, 08:02 AM
My standby time seems to be holding ok....it's when I use the phone for anything you can watch the battery drop off a cliff!

14:00 and down to 1%......better get my USB charger pack out.....dam that's flat too :(

I like the look of ios7, but it has sure wreaked this phone!
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/20/pesadehu.jpg

redshovel
Sep 20, 2013, 02:41 PM
Well after a restore my battery appears to be somewhat back to normal. Not just as good as ios6 but it's now at least usable!
Judging by the hundreds of ppl I have seen on twitter moaning I think mine is a wide spread problem and lots of ppl will have to do a restore.... Problem is many them won't know how or won't be bothered and just keep moaning. Thing is... a restore shouldn't really be needed in the first place .

BulkHedd
Sep 20, 2013, 02:46 PM
I was experiencing poor battery life too. I disabled Background App Refresh and turned off AirDrop. Battery seems to be back to normal today.

I might try turning one of those things back on and see if it changes another day.

tongefactor40
Sep 23, 2013, 04:43 PM
Well after a restore my battery appears to be somewhat back to normal. Not just as good as ios6 but it's now at least usable!
Judging by the hundreds of ppl I have seen on twitter moaning I think mine is a wide spread problem and lots of ppl will have to do a restore.... Problem is many them won't know how or won't be bothered and just keep moaning. Thing is... a restore shouldn't really be needed in the first place .

Did you restore from an iCloud backup too?

Armen
Sep 23, 2013, 04:49 PM
Since installing iOS 7 my battery is dissipating faster than ever before. It's not even going to last half a day.... Not meaning to sound dramatic ....but my iPhone is effectually useless now.
Image (http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/20/anutyhyr.jpg)

Can you please search? There are at least 20 other threads with fixes.

P.S. check Tapatalk settings. It's set to auto refresh every 30 minutes. You may want to turn that off too.

hafr
Sep 23, 2013, 05:13 PM
On iOS 6 I was lucky to get through a working day with more than 10% Battery left. Yesterday I got through and entire working day with 60% left...... Hence my bemusement that you think 15 hours on a battery is bad.
15 hours standby with two hours of usage is TERRIBLE. You won't find a single Apple employee that wouldn't replace his phone in a second if he has tried restoring his phone's data and settings.

thedon1
Sep 23, 2013, 05:18 PM
I'm getting similar usage stats to the TS.

No bluetooth on.

It was fine on the last beta, the GM just started killing the battery though.

pooleman
Sep 23, 2013, 05:25 PM
I hope you find a working solution.
On a slightly less serious note
Image (http://imgur.com/PnO9tei)

Was this from the Apple's new iOS 7 user guide?

pooleman
Sep 23, 2013, 05:27 PM

So is this good or bad? This was from today.

musicjunky
Sep 23, 2013, 05:32 PM
I feel your pain. It seems like every min I look up from my browser, the battery percentage is down a tick. Hope changes are being made to bolster this.

webitorgal
Sep 23, 2013, 05:38 PM
I think I may have found the culprit - on my phone, at least. It's email. While going through some 20-odd unread messages, my battery dropped a good 3% points - from 49% to 46%. :(

tongefactor40
Sep 23, 2013, 05:50 PM
I feel your pain. It seems like every min I look up from my browser, the battery percentage is down a tick. Hope changes are being made to bolster this.

It just makes me paranoid; I use my phone a ton for work and I am sure the amount of emailing I do is a major battery hog, but losing 40% per hour when just browsing the Internet randomly, is really lame.

Nolander07
Sep 23, 2013, 06:06 PM
Can you please search? There are at least 20 other threads with fixes.

P.S. check Tapatalk settings. It's set to auto refresh every 30 minutes. You may want to turn that off too.

In tapatalk the refresh every 30 minutes is only after you "wake it up" from the background. It doesn't auto refresh while it's sitting in the background.

Armen
Sep 23, 2013, 06:13 PM
In tapatalk the refresh every 30 minutes is only after you "wake it up" from the background. It doesn't auto refresh while it's sitting in the background.

I hope you're right because that doesn't make any sense. Who stares at the same screen on tapatalk for 30 minutes waiting for a refresh?

nightstalkerz
Sep 23, 2013, 06:24 PM
Have you restarted your phone after you updated to iOS 7?

That seems to have fixed it for me.

sim667
Sep 24, 2013, 03:29 AM
15 hours standby with two hours of usage is TERRIBLE. You won't find a single Apple employee that wouldn't replace his phone in a second if he has tried restoring his phone's data and settings.

Tbf I bet most apple employees replace their own iphones at the slightest hint of a problem.....

Probably why they try and tell everyone that takes a faulty item in that its water damaged.

hafr
Sep 24, 2013, 04:00 AM
Tbf I bet most apple employees replace their own iphones at the slightest hint of a problem.....

Probably why they try and tell everyone that takes a faulty item in that its water damaged.

I wasn't talking about Apple employees replacing their own phones. If you only get 15 hours of standby and two hours of usage on a full charge after having tried restoring the phone as new (resetting all data and settings), please go to your nearest Apple store and replace your phone - because there is something seriously wrong with it.

slwiser
Sep 24, 2013, 05:44 AM
Same here , my Ipad battery is taking big hits since moving to ios7. I have turned off background updates and it continues dropping faster than with os6 with no adjustments.

AeroZ
Sep 24, 2013, 05:55 AM
Strange. It seems that IOS7 have increased my iPhone5's battery life.

Usage: 5h 7min
Standby: 1d 1h
Battery 41%

msvadi
Sep 24, 2013, 01:53 PM
I have iPhone 5 upgraded to iOS 7. My standby battery consumption seems to be ok: from 100% to 97% in about 2.5 hours. When browsing on wifi, the battery goes down by 1% every 5 minutes or so (brightness is set to about 1/3 of its maximum value).

At the end of a day (yesterday), the battery was at 26% with 5.5 hours of usage and 13 hours of standby. So I guess I can get about 7 hours of usage. I have a feeling that it was slightly better before the upgrade, but it might be just an illusion. Unfortunately, I did not take any measurements before upgrading.

https://discussions.apple.com/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/2-23143858-301484/2013-09-23+23.24.31.png

On the other hand, on iPad 3 battery life has improved substantially. It feels now like a single charge will last forever.

JamesM
Sep 24, 2013, 04:16 PM
Mine seems ok

Remaining 24%
Usage 5 Hours 44 Minutes
Standby 13 Hours 58 Minutes

oVerboost
Sep 24, 2013, 04:34 PM
Strange. It seems that IOS7 have increased my iPhone5's battery life.

Usage: 5h 7min
Standby: 1d 1h
Battery 41%

How to you use your phone, in general as having 41% after over a day is quite rare!

termi
Sep 24, 2013, 04:57 PM
This is mine, not bad I say

merrickdrfc
Sep 24, 2013, 05:05 PM
Been running iOS 7 full time on my iPhone 5 since around beta 2 I believe, up until 2 days ago when I got my 5s. Personally my battery life was better than iOS 6 consistently on the GM build, did have a few issues in the beta's but that was to be expected! My 5 was running iOS 7 GM seed updated straight from iOS 6, with nothing disabled at all (Location Services / Background App Refresh / Frequent Locations etc. were all enabled).

Any battery issues I had in the beta's however were usually fixed by performing 'Reset all Settings' or 'Reset Network Settings'.

My 5s I just restored from the backup of my 5, and it's been even better! (Note screenshot is from 5s and not 5).

Ubele
Sep 24, 2013, 06:19 PM
I'm losing around 1% every 1-3 minutes on safari... Auto brightness is turned off, wifi off, parallex off, Bluetooth off, location services off for most services..
I'm with excellent coverage.
Nothing else is running.
I don't like ios7 very much so far...

Oh and I installed ios7 on Recovery mode.

I'm getting the same kind of battery drain on my iPad 4, and it even dropped from 97% to 65% after three hours on standby. My iPhone 5, however, which has the same settings, is getting the same battery life as with iOS 6. I'll try restoring iOS 7 on my iPad.