Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Basic75

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 17, 2011
Europe
Hi,

looking at the buyer's guide I noticed that the simple "average update time" gives wrong and/or misleading advice in at least two cases:

- The iPod classic obviously won't ever be updated again, and it might disappear any time, so the "don't buy" advice is hardly correct, if you want/need that amount of storage you should buy it right now.

- The MacBook Pro (non-Retina) similarly has a "don't buy" rating although it seems unclear on whether they will actually get another refresh, or, given how Apple always tends to a small product line and computer sales are generally tanking, discontinue them when the Haswell rMPB is released.

Regarding the MBP it's of course not clear what to recommend since it's not clear whether the next thing will be a refresh or a removal...

Giuly

macrumors 68040
Hi,

looking at the buyer's guide I noticed that the simple "average update time" gives wrong and/or misleading advice in at least two cases:

- The iPod classic obviously won't ever be updated again, and it might disappear any time, so the "don't buy" advice is hardly correct, if you want/need that amount of storage you should buy it right now.

- The MacBook Pro (non-Retina) similarly has a "don't buy" rating although it seems unclear on whether they will actually get another refresh, or, given how Apple always tends to a small product line and computer sales are generally tanking, discontinue them when the Haswell rMPB is released.

Regarding the MBP it's of course not clear what to recommend since it's not clear whether the next thing will be a refresh or a removal...

Don't buy the iPod, get an iPod Touch and use iTunes Match.
Buy a Retina MacBook Pro instead - or don't, because either way one of them or both should get an Haswell upgrade soon.

Buyer's Guide seems accurate to me.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
Don't buy the iPod, get an iPod Touch and use iTunes Match.

But how would you access all your content if you were somewhere without wi-fi? Or have data caps limiting the amount you can stream? Or prefer a click-wheel to a touch interface?

The Classic still exists for these, and several other reasons. I agree with the OP - now would be a good time to grab one, in case they do in fact for some reason disappear soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.