PDA

View Full Version : iOS 7 and Maps still sucks

Pages : [1] 2

VulchR
Sep 20, 2013, 06:44 AM
Just upgraded to iOS 7 and Maps still sucks. There are errors in road names. There are stores shown that closed 7-8 years ago. Stores that do exist are shown a block away from their actual location. In short it is virtually unusable, and it looks wholly amateurish compared to Google's maps. If Apple's maps is meant to be a fallback if Google ever pulled the plug on their map app, then Apple's is failing miserably. If Apple's maps was meant to replace Google's, then Apple's efforts are laughable.

I know what you're thinking: The OP lives in a small town in Scotland, and the focus should be the US first and then metropolitan areas outside the US. Perhaps, but part of Apple's tax minimization scheme is that Apple US uses Apple Ireland to pay for R&D. It seems odd to me that Apple Ireland would be more concerned about the US than Europe. Moreover, I pay more for my iProducts than people in the US do, as I suspect many people in Europe do. Apple has a wad of cash - why is it not spending it on providing services outside the US? Google certainly is....

If Apple can't get better data, then perhaps they had better start collaborating with Google to improve the experience of their customers.

Todd B.
Sep 20, 2013, 06:51 AM
Maps is fine, honestly.

You think Google Maps was perfect the first two years?

chrf097
Sep 20, 2013, 06:54 AM
Maps has always been fine for me. I'm not denying that Maps has had issues, it certainly has, but it hasn't gotten anything wrong for me before.

TheRainKing
Sep 20, 2013, 06:55 AM
Apple maps still can't find the college 5 minutes from my house. So yeah.. :cool:

Steve121178
Sep 20, 2013, 06:56 AM

It was pretty good from the very start actually. At least the map data was accurate.

bbfc
Sep 20, 2013, 06:57 AM
Just upgraded to iOS 7 and Maps still sucks. There are errors in road names. There are stores shown that closed 7-8 years ago. Stores that do exist are shown a block away from their actual location. In short it is virtually unusable, and it looks wholly amateurish compared to Google's maps. If Apple's maps is meant to be a fallback if Google ever pulled the plug on their map app, then Apple's is failing miserably. If Apple's maps was meant to replace Google's, then Apple's efforts are laughable.

I know what you're thinking: The OP lives in a small town in Scotland, and the focus should be the US first and then metropolitan areas outside the US. Perhaps, but part of Apple's tax minimization scheme is that Apple US uses Apple Ireland to pay for R&D. It seems odd to me that Apple Ireland would be more concerned about the US than Europe. Moreover, I pay more for my iProducts than people in the US do, as I suspect many people in Europe do. Apple has a wad of cash - why is it not spending it on providing services outside the US? Google certainly is....

If Apple can't get better data, then perhaps they had better start collaborating with Google to improve the experience of their customers.

Maps has been steadily getting better over time. Upgrading to iOS 7 will not some how make Maps perfect. It's all server side.

Google Maps isn't perfect either but it's been out much longer.

OllyW
Sep 20, 2013, 06:59 AM
I like the app but the map data is still as poor as it was when it launched last year. :(

maflynn
Sep 20, 2013, 07:00 AM
I'm fine with Maps, it works just as well as my turn by turn app.

Daveoc64
Sep 20, 2013, 07:10 AM
Just upgraded to iOS 7 and Maps still sucks.

The problem has never really been about the App. The App itself is pretty stable and although it might not have some of the features that Google Maps has, the ones it does have work as you expect.

The problems are all down to the map data they're using. In a lot of places, that data is out of date, and they have not done a very good job of integrating different sources of data to provide things like POIs and details like road names.

iAmirul
Sep 20, 2013, 07:17 AM
Maps have been great! Even on iOS 6, it always give me the right directions!

cyks
Sep 20, 2013, 07:23 AM
Maps is fine, honestly.

Just because you think it's fine doesn't make it so. Many of us continue to have issues with it and numerous problems I reported a year ago still haven't been fixed.

The Google argument is irrelevant since we were never forced to use it.

Todd B.
Sep 20, 2013, 07:34 AM
It was pretty good from the very start actually. At least the map data was accurate.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-23331456

And that was just from this year. I highly doubt it was "pretty good" from the "very start".

Just because you think it's fine doesn't make it so. Many of us continue to have issues with it and numerous problems I reported a year ago still haven't been fixed.

If the Google argument is irrelevant because you're not forced to use it then the Apple Maps argument is irrelevant too, since you're not forced to use it either.

The problems are all down to the map data they're using. In a lot of places, that data is out of date, and they have not done a very good job of integrating different sources of data to provide things like POIs and details like road names.

You think that's strictly an Apple Maps thing? The data on Google Maps from my town is just as outdated - heck, there's still a missing bridge when it's been fixed for nearly five years now.

Steve121178
Sep 20, 2013, 07:48 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-23331456

And that was just from this year. I highly doubt it was "pretty good" from the "very start".

That's west Scotland though. There's nothing there apart from sheep and a few drunk men in parks clutching whisky bottles.

MozMan68
Sep 20, 2013, 07:48 AM
If the Google argument is irrelevant because you're not forced to use it then the Apple Maps argument is irrelevant too, since you're not forced to use it either.

He means that he is forced to use it as the default on a bunch of third party apps.

Try tracking your running or cycling on a third party app that can't use Google maps as a default.

Has always worked fine for me in the U.S. in a ton of cities....and for those who say it hasn't improved, the poi and search database has improved dramatically in the U.S. where I have used it. Not everywhere, but no one can say they have been sitting around and doing nothing about it.

darngooddesign
Sep 20, 2013, 08:30 AM
...The Google argument is irrelevant since we were never forced to use it.

You were forced to use it for the first year, and it was the default maps app for the next five years. The moment there was an alternative map app in the App Store, you were no longer forced to use it as an app, and you could always pull up a map system in the browser.

To sum up, Apple is not forcing you to use anything.

byke
Sep 20, 2013, 09:03 AM
Maps is fine, honestly.

Thats not a reason or justification.
The guy has PAID for a functionality, as part of his device.

Doublea6
Sep 20, 2013, 09:05 AM
This one time google maps told me to do a u turn on the middle of the free way.

Todd B.
Sep 20, 2013, 09:18 AM

The minor issues with Maps don't prevent anyone from using it (unless you're the type that clings to the sensationalism of the tech blogs every word).

darngooddesign
Sep 20, 2013, 09:19 AM

That's true.

I use Maps for directions and Google maps for POI.

VulchR
Sep 20, 2013, 09:40 AM
Maps has been steadily getting better over time. Upgrading to iOS 7 will not some how make Maps perfect. It's all server side...

How long am I supposed to wait - until iOS 17? I know the issue is about the quality of the data they have, but it's a solvable problem.

The problem has never really been about the App.

Agreed. However I am losing patience, having reported several corrections on which no action has been taken (by the way, there appears to be no way to correct road names). If Apple were smart they would allow the GPS/camera to be used to document crowd-sourced corrections, but have they even thought of that? No. Instead they were thinking about narrow, hard-to-read fonts.

...Not everywhere, but no one can say they have been sitting around and doing nothing about it.

Actually, where I am, I can. As I said, I paid just as much, if not more, for my iDevices as anybody in the US. Does Apple offer a discount or apology for its maps outside the US? No.

eclipse01
Sep 20, 2013, 09:43 AM
I just use Waze

MozMan68
Sep 20, 2013, 12:06 PM
Actually, where I am, I can. As I said, I paid just as much, if not more, for my iDevices as anybody in the US. Does Apple offer a discount or apology for its maps outside the US? No.

Was the apology they gave U.S. specific??

Outside of the issue with Apple Map integration in some third party apps, what's wrong with the many other map apps that more than make up for the deficiencies present in some areas of the world with Apple Maps?

sixstrings03
Sep 20, 2013, 12:12 PM
Maps may be great now but after it took me way off course the first month it was out, I've just automatically gone to Google Maps as a habit.

I don't think there's a compelling reason for me to switch back to using the Apple Maps app yet.... Google has never gotten me lost so I trust it.

matttye
Sep 20, 2013, 12:29 PM
I like the app but the map data is still as poor as it was when it launched last year. :(

Agreed. Love the app itself and love navigation but it's wholly inaccurate and not well stocked with POIs.

It IS improving though, slowly, thank god.

TroyBoy30
Sep 20, 2013, 12:43 PM
i find apple maps to be more accurate than google maps

nefan65
Sep 20, 2013, 12:48 PM
I've had good luck with Maps. I'm in the Northeast, and don't do a ton of traveling. But when I've used it, it has worked well. I don't think it's been any worse/better than Google Maps [at least for me!].

sk1wbw
Sep 20, 2013, 01:02 PM

You know that Apple doesn't have a field team driving around and checking street names, right? Apple gets information from other people/sources that update this stuff.

Daveoc64
Sep 20, 2013, 01:04 PM
You think that's strictly an Apple Maps thing? The data on Google Maps from my town is just as outdated - heck, there's still a missing bridge when it's been fixed for nearly five years now.

I just don't see the same problems with Google Maps (or anything else for that matter - Bing, OpenStreetMap, Waze).

I reported issues during the iOS 6 beta, like a road that seemingly runs through a supermarket that was built about 15 years ago, and nothing's happened about them.

Like I said, the problem is not necessarily about being out of date - it's that they've not done a good job in combining all the data sources they have to be as accurate as possible. It's just too big a task to do for the entire world in the way that Apple did it.

As an example, you can see a lot of satellite imagery in Apple Maps that's more accurate than their road vectors, which is pretty unusual for this sort of service.

The other mapping services built these things up over time, so for them, they don't see the sorts of problems that Apple does..

VulchR
Sep 20, 2013, 01:10 PM
You know that Apple doesn't have a field team driving around and checking street names, right? Apple gets information from other people/sources that update this stuff.

Yes. I get that. i fail to understand why :apple: don't have cars/people/etc. going around making sure information is correct in Europe. Simply waving their hands and saying 'we got it from poor sources' doesn't really enhance my user experience. But hey, there is always Google Maps. For now. And in the long run if Apple doesn't pull its finger out, there's Google's Android.

eclipse01
Sep 20, 2013, 01:15 PM
do you have to have data to use apple maps?

or does it go only on gps?

Brittany246
Sep 20, 2013, 01:24 PM
I've never once had a problem with Apple maps.

MisterPunchy
Sep 20, 2013, 01:32 PM
I've been using GPS navigation devices for a lot of years now, including Garmin/TomTom type dedicated devices, Google maps and iOS maps. Gotta. Say - they've ALL had issues with accuracy in location and directions. All of them. Who hasn't heard tons of crazy stories of people being misrouted by a GPS system at some point? I honestly don't believe Apple is any worse or different than the others, especially since they're the new kids on the block. In fact, I think their initial offering was superior to most of the others' when they first came out. Apple will improve with time like everyone else has had to. But I really think we complain more about Apple's shortcomings than any other company. We hold Apple to a different standard and are far more forgiving with other companies' weaknesses.

comatose81
Sep 20, 2013, 01:34 PM
What!? Errors in digital maps?! This is an outrage!

Next you'll tell me politicians lie!

minimo3
Sep 20, 2013, 02:02 PM
Maps has shown the wrong location for the biggest outlet in MA since the beginning (Wrentham Outlets). I've reported the error at least 4x over the past year or so, but nothing's changed.

sk1wbw
Sep 20, 2013, 03:13 PM
Yes. I get that. i fail to understand why :apple: don't have cars/people/etc. going around making sure information is correct in Europe. Simply waving their hands and saying 'we got it from poor sources' doesn't really enhance my user experience. But hey, there is always Google Maps. For now. And in the long run if Apple doesn't pull its finger out, there's Google's Android.

The car based GPS units that people stick on their windshield get information from the same sources. It's a widespread problem, just don't blame Apple and say their Maps app sucks.

betabeta
Sep 20, 2013, 03:34 PM
I'm in the US, and its just OK at best.

Maybe if they actually updated ONE thing I sent in as being wrong, I have and had others around the area send in changes as big as completely wrong street names and nope, nothing for a year.

Places completely in the wrong location, or haven't been there for 20 years LOL...nope no change...like a blast from the past, these schools, and business's are gone, yet now they live in Apple maps:D Of course some of places being wrong is one thing, BUT street names that are wrong should be fixed in a months time when you send that in, it's been a year since I sent in corrections.

Honestly it sounds like a huge job, but checking out map info corrections sent in wouldn't take as many people as you think. Too bad they don't have the resources, maybe it's a money issue.:rolleyes:

Lava Lamp Freak
Sep 20, 2013, 03:42 PM
I submitted errors for the problems I found as soon as Maps was released. Not even a single error has been corrected.

I have a large city park close to my house that doesn't show up. Along one street all of the restaurants and businesses are on the wrong side of the street. There is a shopping mall down the street that closed in 2004 and there is now a Walmart there, and the mall still shows up but not Walmart. There is a new highway that has been under construction for years, and the final 20-something mile stretch was completed last year. The final stretch doesn't show up yet.

All of these things are there on Google Maps. The missing segment of the highway is the biggest annoyance because when getting directions Maps doesn't know it's there and adds extra miles to the trip. I can imagine the trouble that causes for people who are travelling through the area and aren't familiar with that highway.

TLDR: If Maps isn't even accurate at home, I can't trust it when travelling. Submitted corrections seem to be ignored.

james92se
Sep 20, 2013, 03:51 PM
Just over the past summer, Apple maps has directed me to addresses on the wrong sides of highways or shown I had arrived at locations when the locations were really a mile or two away. It's been frustrating especially as my experience with apple maps has been fine up until this recent string of issues this summer. The most annoying part is the point you're driving along and realize Apple is steering you wrong, and then having to fool with your phone while still driving trying to pull up the Google app.

And this has all been in Dallas, not some remote outpost shanty town!

cyks
Sep 20, 2013, 04:53 PM
He means that he is forced to use it as the default on a bunch of third party apps.

You were forced to use it for the first year, and it was the default maps app for the next five years. The moment there was an alternative map app in the App Store, you were no longer forced to use it as an app, and you could always pull up a map system in the browser.

To sum up, Apple is not forcing you to use anything.

Outside of the issue with Apple Map integration in some third party apps, what's wrong with the many other map apps that more than make up for the deficiencies present in some areas of the world with Apple Maps?

Since I'm not forced to use Apple Maps, please explain the steps required to change the default maps for Reminders, FindMyPhone/ Friends, and Siri.

jwolf6589
Sep 20, 2013, 05:07 PM

If you dislike iOS 7 and prefer Apple to make a USER FRIENDLY way to downgrade to iOS 6, or if you have found bugs, or just have general suggestions then do what I have done and click here!

http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

Not too difficult. Stop complaining here and start complaining there! I have sent multiple messages. iOS 7 has some major advantages and new features, however also some drawbacks & bugs.

That was not difficult to understand was it?

Still100
Sep 20, 2013, 05:27 PM
Maps is generally improving but at least in the uk the data on local shops etc is 5-10 years old. They should just switch it off outside of Central London.

Lerxt
Sep 20, 2013, 05:39 PM
Apple maps is not much use where I live in Asia. It can't find any locations i search for whereas google maps can.

ajay96
Sep 20, 2013, 05:49 PM
It functions fine for me. So that is really all that should matter.

Harrycooke
Sep 20, 2013, 05:52 PM
Google maps told me it would take 15 minutes to walk 100 yards.

happyslayer
Sep 20, 2013, 05:53 PM
I live in the US - Phoenix, AZ - and I've had no real issue with maps. I really like it, actually. More so than Google maps. And I really like the iOS7 navigation utility. I recently went to New Mexico (I have a developer account and was running the GM) and it had no problem taking me to places in Alamogordo that I'd never been to. Since I got a dash-mount kit, I use the nav all the time now, even when I know where I'm going. I'm interested in knowing what Apple thinks is the best route.

It's sometimes not the best choice, as there are occasional issues with updating for traffic and construction sometimes, but it seems to be right the majority of the time.

Just my experience. I'm happy with it.

ajvizzgamer101
Sep 20, 2013, 05:58 PM
I use Apple Maps every day. Only problem I had was that I wasn't connecting to a satellite so Google Maps and Waze didn't work either.

John T
Sep 20, 2013, 06:11 PM
I find Apple maps to be fine.

Some people will always moan and complain about everything!

thekb
Sep 20, 2013, 09:27 PM
I've been using GPS navigation devices for a lot of years now, including Garmin/TomTom type dedicated devices, Google maps and iOS maps. Gotta. Say - they've ALL had issues with accuracy in location and directions. All of them. ...

This, this, this.

I acknowledge that some of you have had worse luck with Apple maps than others, but for me, it's really worked great. I've used it from Florida, all the way to Ohio and Wash DC ... a few minor glitches here and there, but by and large pretty solid.

APhillyApple
Sep 20, 2013, 09:33 PM
Maps hasnt let me down yet, doubt it will now. They are continuing to make it better.

schizbomb
Sep 20, 2013, 10:14 PM
I live in a top 10 populous city but just moved to a complex on an entirely new subdivision with new roads and I was impressed that Apple had it all mapped out within 2 weeks of me moving in (the complex opened in May). When I first moved in it had me in a field and no roads nothing.

ReanimationN
Sep 20, 2013, 10:17 PM
I live in Australia and they're still awful. Google Maps is the only choice here.

odin
Sep 20, 2013, 10:53 PM
Don't complain about mistakes in it unless you're reporting them and offering corrections. In my rural area, Apple Maps is more accurate than Google for road stuff which I find odd because of Street View. I've reported to google for at least a year. Nothing.

Apple DOES have some issues with businesses. Much of that stems from bad information on Yelp. So again, click to report a problem in Maps to fix that. If you're really wanting to see improvement, sigh into Yelp and make corrections there as well.

Directing this to those that complain and never try to help improve the issues, not the folks that do report problems. I've found the vast majority of the "business" info that is wrong in my area is bad Yelp! info. Yelp never seems to correct things even when I give them news articles about businesses closing or opening.

biosci
Sep 20, 2013, 11:10 PM
Traffic data is completely off for maps in urban/suburban areas compared to Google maps. Plus, a few businesses are for some reason constantly pushed into a residential zone that doesn't even match the street name that is officially and physically listed on. I've even submitted the error and correct location twice to Apple to no avail. Oh well. so much for customers/end users trying to help out I guess...

Umbrarian
Sep 20, 2013, 11:30 PM
Maps is fine, honestly.

Except the street I live on is not in their map database. Folks cannot use iPhone to get directions to my house.

----------

Then they need to get it from the same place Google gets it from.

VulchR
Sep 21, 2013, 10:00 AM
Don't complain about mistakes in it unless you're reporting them and offering corrections...I've found the vast majority of the "business" info that is wrong in my area is bad Yelp! info. Yelp never seems to correct things even when I give them news articles about businesses closing or opening.

I have repeatedly reported errors since Maps came out. Only one was corrected - the village of Leuchers was no longer labeled as being in the North Sea. The rest have been ignored. I do agree about Yelp! being awful - Apple would do better to get rid of them and use some other provider of information or heaven forbid actually hire some employees to do the work.

The car based GPS units that people stick on their windshield get information from the same sources. It's a widespread problem, just don't blame Apple and say their Maps app sucks.

Since I do not drive, I haven't paid for car-based GPS. I have paid for navigation on my mobile phone. An error of a few blocks means little when one is driving, but it can be rather more of an issue when one is walking (and potentially carrying groceries etc.). It's not as though there are not local cartography sources that are accurate where I am am (the UK Ordnance Survey comes to mind, as do the maps of the Royal Mail). The simple truth is that a cash-rich company like Apple should be able to afford reasonable maps within developed countries. This is not rocket science, and as you see from the admittedly potentially biased poll above, I am not the only one that feels this way.

If you dislike iOS 7 and prefer Apple to make a USER FRIENDLY way to downgrade to iOS 6...
That was not difficult to understand was it?

I fail to understand why you seem to think that iOS 6 Maps would be any better. My point was that in spite of a major software update, no improvements were made to Maps where I am when Apple developed the upgrade from iOS6 to iOS7. They haven't corrected errors that were brought to their attention more than a year ago (and several times since then). There are lots of people out of work. Apple has lots of cash. You'd think Apple would be smart enough to connect the two to improve Maps outside the US. Even OpenStreetMap is better than Apple's Maps where I am.

DeanWSmith
Sep 24, 2013, 08:23 AM
The developers and testers ought to be tied to a steering wheel and attempt to use the maps app overseas. If the potential for accidents wasn't real, and it is, it would be comical. 2 years in a row I've tried to use this app in Europe and I would NOT recommend it's use. Here's just a casual list of some of the anomalies I've noticed.

1) How about the pronunciation of foreign names? Nimes!, Marseille? Orange, Gstaad? Use the recognized pronunciation!

2) When was the European data base last updated? It's awful. Road circles not in the data base? Circles that have the incorrect number of exits? This is awful and dangerous to depend upon. How was this checked?

3) Its routes in Italy frequently refuse to employ tunnels in Italy. Try driving from Naples to Sorrento using maps. Don't follow the road sign directions, try using maps.

4) It took me down a cow path near Arles.

5) In Stresa, Italy it took me down an alley so narrow that both side mirrors simultaneously scraped the opposite buildings at the same time.

6) In Salon de Provence it told me to take numerous turns where no road existed (in downtown no less).

It isn't just undependable and unreliable, relying upon it can be dangerous.

Signed, a life long Apple bigot (and shareholder).

Tyler23
Sep 24, 2013, 11:38 AM
do you have to have data to use apple maps?

or does it go only on gps?

Data is required

xxBURT0Nxx
Sep 24, 2013, 01:49 PM
i forgot, you can't download google maps from from the app store... :rolleyes:

stop complaining and use a different app if you aren't finding maps to suit your needs.

It amazes me the amount of people who will complain that they don't like the calendar app, or maps doesn't work for them, or the weather app doesn't provide enough information......

rather than whine about it, go to the app store, and download one of the many alternatives, I'm sure you will find one to suit your needs.

Brazuca
Sep 24, 2013, 02:28 PM
Please post screenshots of the alleged mistakes. Too often there is no error at all.

Brazuca
Sep 24, 2013, 03:07 PM
Finding addresses in NYC is very bad. I don't know if this got worse, but I just noticed it. I cannot search for the following address in New York: 433 E46th St
"no results found"

apparently, I need to enter: 433 E 46th St

Spot the difference? Very bad, Apple. And I use Apple Maps 100%

The same thing happens in Queens. Addresses are of the form 65-43 blah ave. You cannot find it if you type 6543 blah ave, Queens, NY.

POIs are one thing, but the search for addresses should be much better, fast.

matttye
Sep 24, 2013, 03:26 PM
The developers and testers ought to be tied to a steering wheel and attempt to use the maps app overseas. If the potential for accidents wasn't real, and it is, it would be comical. 2 years in a row I've tried to use this app in Europe and I would NOT recommend it's use. Here's just a casual list of some of the anomalies I've noticed.

1) How about the pronunciation of foreign names? Nimes!, Marseille? Orange, Gstaad? Use the recognized pronunciation!

2) When was the European data base last updated? It's awful. Road circles not in the data base? Circles that have the incorrect number of exits? This is awful and dangerous to depend upon. How was this checked?

3) Its routes in Italy frequently refuse to employ tunnels in Italy. Try driving from Naples to Sorrento using maps. Don't follow the road sign directions, try using maps.

4) It took me down a cow path near Arles.

5) In Stresa, Italy it took me down an alley so narrow that both side mirrors simultaneously scraped the opposite buildings at the same time.

6) In Salon de Provence it told me to take numerous turns where no road existed (in downtown no less).

It isn't just undependable and unreliable, relying upon it can be dangerous.

Signed, a life long Apple bigot (and shareholder).

With all due respect, you CANNOT rely on these devices - NONE of them - to get you to your destination safely. You need to exercise your caution and skill as a driver. You're blaming the sat nav for taking you down a narrow road where both mirrors scraped on buildings, but you as the driver should have found a more appropriate route.

No sat nav will ever be 100% perfect because it's impossible to keep up with all of the roads worldwide when they're constantly changing. For this reason I like TomTom's "Mapshare corrections" feature where local users can share corrections.

It's for that reason you should also always keep an eye on road signs - as your sat nav WILL get it wrong sometimes no matter which one you're using.

That said, I recognise and agree that Apple Maps has a very high rate of errors when compared with others and it is desperately in need of a MAJOR update.

xxBURT0Nxx
Sep 25, 2013, 02:11 PM
Finding addresses in NYC is very bad. I don't know if this got worse, but I just noticed it. I cannot search for the following address in New York: 433 E46th St
"no results found"

The same thing happens in Queens. Addresses are of the form 65-43 blah ave. You cannot find it if you type 6543 blah ave, Queens, NY.

POIs are one thing, but the search for addresses should be much better, fast.

what would make you think that you can enter 433 E46th St???

Any logical search engine would assume that to mean "E46" Street, not East 46th Street. I don't type "EArapahoe Ave" to search for Arapahoe Ave. I don't type WBroadway to search for Broadway, so I still am confused why you think that apple should know to separate an arbitrary letter you add to the beginning of your street names in its search. when you look for something on google do you type "How to make AMovie"?? NO, you type "how to make a movie" Do you search for "HowOld Is the EiffelTower"? NO, you separate your individual words, why should a map search be any different?

I can understand that apple maps are not perfect, but your decision to merge two separate words into one is not a problem with maps, it's a problem with your ability to use a search engine.

MinEderPlayz
Sep 25, 2013, 02:25 PM
My former classmate is living in a town according to Apple maps which does not exist since the early 1950s... Two towns were merged and they got a new name.

adder7712
Sep 25, 2013, 04:12 PM
Utterly useless in my country. Many streets are missing, common businesses do not appear. Directions are a hit or miss.

I just use Google Maps. Even Waze has a more accurate map but that is user editable.

tshrimp
Sep 25, 2013, 05:03 PM
Everyone has their opinion, but I do find it difficult for anyone who has used Google Maps to think that ios7 Maps is anything but garbage. Maybe they should just copy Google maps as it would fit in to many of the new features that Apple has yet again taken from Android. But must admit...I am glad they did as I like the changes.

ErikGrim
Sep 25, 2013, 07:09 PM
Google Maps have still tried making me turn right at no-right turns for many years. Also think you can go up an on-ramp against traffic to get on to the highway a block away. :eek:

In short, no map is perfect. And for me Apple Maps have been far more accurate for my part of the world.

----------

"no results found"

POIs are one thing, but the search for addresses should be much better, fast.This I agree with. Address parsing should be much smarter. To the point where you should be able to copy and paste an entire iMessage saying "My address is blah blah" and it should just work.

Squid7085
Sep 26, 2013, 12:24 AM
What I can not fathom is why Apple has not learned the lesson that Google did, crowd source. There are thousands are idiots like me who will spend a week fixing everything in my town, or mapping out my college campus. I WANT to do that, I want to make the maps better, just GIVE me the tools.

I have submitted HUNDREDS of error reports. Not a single one has been fixed. If you want people to help fix things, actually fix the things they tell you are broken. Google responds to your "report a problem" and then emails you when the problem is fixed. Knowing that your problem was not only heard, but fixed leads to more willingness to submit those reports. I have all but given up on submitting error reports because frankly, it's not worth it anymore. I will just use Google Maps.

I have given Apple the benefit of the doubt this past year but unless you live in NYC, Maps is a joke. I have seen zero improvements here, or anywhere in Kansas.

Brazuca
Sep 26, 2013, 12:16 PM

Any logical search engine would assume that to mean "E46" Street, not East 46th Street. I don't type "EArapahoe Ave" to search for Arapahoe Ave. I don't type WBroadway to search for Broadway, so I still am confused why you think that apple should know to separate an arbitrary letter you add to the beginning of your street names in its search. when you look for something on google do you type "How to make AMovie"?? NO, you type "how to make a movie" Do you search for "HowOld Is the EiffelTower"? NO, you separate your individual words, why should a map search be any different?

I can understand that apple maps are not perfect, but your decision to merge two separate words into one is not a problem with maps, it's a problem with your ability to use a search engine.

Because this is Manhattan. Half of all the addresses are "E ## St". Maps should parse that easily. Asking for perfect punctuation, spacing, even spelling is bad implementation.

Example, google this exact term (including quotes):
"E46th" street

Fuchal
Sep 26, 2013, 12:48 PM
My Maps won't find anything - Boston, USA, England, Target, Starbucks. No results found. Always. Hoping 7.0.2 solves it.

Edit: Nope :(

peckerhead
Sep 26, 2013, 01:18 PM
Near where I live they have an Air Force base labelled as an airport :eek:

I reported this a few times but it still remains :rolleyes:

MacMan988
Sep 26, 2013, 01:22 PM
I live outside the US and Apple maps doesn't provide me directions at all!!

benji888
Sep 26, 2013, 02:21 PM
I love Apple Maps over google any day, however, my BIG issue w/Maps has more to do with Yelp. Yelp is what Apple Maps uses for business/places data, and Yelp is not accurate. I use Foursquare to find places (especially, but not limited to, restaurants) when I am out of town, it is accurate, current, and the UI is friendly, easy to use and the social aspect is right there too. Yelp lacks in all of these, yet, for some very odd reason, Apple decided to buy Yelp and integrate it into Maps last year, and even more integration this year. Yelp fails, takes me to the middle of nowhere, or closed businesses, UI is clunky at best, no one uses it for social networking, it is a big fail, don't know why Apple can't see this. There has to be some inside business reason for it, but, it was a big waste of effort to integrate it more into iOS 7, very disappointing. There is nothing Yelp can do to really get my interest, I'm already happy with Foursquare, just wish it was integrated into my favorite Maps app.

Apple was rumored to be in talks with Foursquare before iOS 6 was released. Unfortunately they chose Yelp, and now we are stuck with the s it end of the stick on that deal. Apple should have, still can, done whatever Foursquare wants to buy them or license their data and integrate it into Maps. This is absolutely necessary.

I'm saying this from the perspective of someone who seriously tried to like Yelp when I got my iPhone 5 last year. ...I used it online before I had a smartphone, so, now that it was part of Apple Maps, I tried it out again, but, it is still back there, somewhere in the past, like their data.

(I know some people use Facebook for locations, but I do not trust Facebook, they are not secure, use my info. however they want.)

xxBURT0Nxx
Sep 26, 2013, 03:15 PM
[/COLOR]This I agree with. Address parsing should be much smarter. To the point where you should be able to copy and paste an entire iMessage saying "My address is blah blah" and it should just work.

in a message you can simply click the address, there is no need to copy the entire thing so i don't see your point. Dates or even terms like "tomorrow at 6:00" or "wednesday at 3" become clickable "links" to create calendar events.

Because this is Manhattan. Half of all the addresses are "E ## St". Maps should parse that easily. Asking for perfect punctuation, spacing, even spelling is bad implementation.

Example, google this exact term (including quotes):
"E46th" street

it sure doesn't give me a map when i google those terms. I still don't see why you think that a search engine should be able to separate words for you.

How about places with a hwy called e470 for example? the address E 470 St is not the same as E470 the hwy but you want them to magically know what you are talking about because you don't want to type one extra space.

E 46th St is not the same as
E46th St

just the same as

"The dog is a loud mutt" is not the same as
"The dog is aloud mutt"

If you wanted to search for the first quote, would you leave out the space between "a" and "loud"??? NO

If you want to search for an address would you type

East 46th Street or would you search
East46th Street without a space?

I don't type "HowToMakeChickenWings" into google and expect it to figure out where it should put spaces, so why should I expect a map to do the same?

I mean, based on your logic, why even put spaces in an address at all, it should just figure out what "12255E56thST" means right?

FFF84
Sep 26, 2013, 03:30 PM
Apple maps still can't find the main train station in Berlin.

azentropy
Sep 26, 2013, 03:30 PM
Based on the title I was fully expecting to see choices:

1. It sucks some
2. It sucks a lot
3. It sucks immensely

dumastudetto
Sep 26, 2013, 03:31 PM
Maps by Apple are far better than Google Maps. They just are.

CHMK
Sep 26, 2013, 03:47 PM
if all the tech companies could just get along, technology would be great.

if apple and google were friends, then apple would be able to pay for googles map services , and all would be fine. just as im sure that google could take advantage of some apple technology etc...

everybody wins.

im not saying u need to copy all each others patents such as the samsung and apple wars but...

sakau2007
Sep 26, 2013, 05:02 PM
still terrible for me. i live in a micropolitan area in the united states. the neighborhood where i live was built in 2007. it is not on the map. instead, random streets that do not exist are shown in its place. i have come to find out that there was once a trailer park on this land and those may have been the street names from back in 2004, you know, when it still existed. there are stores that closed 5 years ago on the map, and there are also stores that do exist shown anywhere from a tenth of a mile to 2+ miles off.

tl;dr version
it's awful

----------

Maps by Apple are far better than Google Maps. They just are.

in what way? certainly not in the sense that the map data is accurate. i feel like anyone who prefers apple maps is basically saying they would prefer a painting by me to Da Vinci because i used higher quality paint than Da Vinci did.

ErikGrim
Sep 26, 2013, 06:39 PM
in a message you can simply click the address, there is no need to copy the entire thing so i don't see your point. Either not true or the parsing of addresses there also need to work better.

xxBURT0Nxx
Sep 27, 2013, 01:38 PM
Either not true or the parsing of addresses there also need to work better.

oh really??? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

http://s11.postimg.org/3mqq6dwhb/photo.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/3mqq6dwhb/)

like i said, addresses become clickable, without so much as even needing a city, state, or zipcode.

It also makes text like "3:00 today" clickable to easily make a calendar appointment. Nice try though.

apollo1444
Sep 27, 2013, 01:55 PM
there are lots of iSheep on the forums, I do love Apple and iOS 7 but lets be honest their maps efforts are a joke

Brazuca
Sep 30, 2013, 01:17 PM
in a message you can simply click the address, there is no need to copy the entire thing so i don't see your point. Dates or even terms like "tomorrow at 6:00" or "wednesday at 3" become clickable "links" to create calendar events.

it sure doesn't give me a map when i google those terms. I still don't see why you think that a search engine should be able to separate words for you.

How about places with a hwy called e470 for example? the address E 470 St is not the same as E470 the hwy but you want them to magically know what you are talking about because you don't want to type one extra space.

E 46th St is not the same as
E46th St

just the same as

"The dog is a loud mutt" is not the same as
"The dog is aloud mutt"

If you wanted to search for the first quote, would you leave out the space between "a" and "loud"??? NO

If you want to search for an address would you type

East 46th Street or would you search
East46th Street without a space?

I don't type "HowToMakeChickenWings" into google and expect it to figure out where it should put spaces, so why should I expect a map to do the same?

I mean, based on your logic, why even put spaces in an address at all, it should just figure out what "12255E56thST" means right?

Again, this is Manhattan. It is very common for the address to not include a space before the E. My example of the google search is just to illustrate how common this is.

"123 E43rd St" is common.
"123 East43rd St" is not.
"123E43rdSt" is a joke.

But a parser should be smart about all these cases and try its best. It should know that, in Manhattan, there is no confusing "E43rd st" with some other mythical street named "E43". This is exactly the job of the search engine.

Instead, Apple returns "no search results" because of a missing space on an obvious address in Manhattan. No suggestions, no anything.

That doesn't mean I think that all spelling mistakes should be expected to return the correct result. Only that Apple's implementation can be better and much more aware of the content.

ErikGrim
Oct 1, 2013, 01:20 AM
oh really??? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Image (http://postimg.org/image/3mqq6dwhb/)

like i said, addresses become clickable, without so much as even needing a city, state, or zipcode.

It also makes text like "3:00 today" clickable to easily make a calendar appointment. Nice try though.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Like I said. Parsing needs work.

xxBURT0Nxx
Oct 1, 2013, 11:55 AM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Like I said. Parsing needs work.
You can roll your eyes, but you are the one who called me a liar and said it doesn't work and is not a feature when in fact it is.

maybe you, like the other guy, need to work on using spaces in your addresses??

I mean, I don't search on google for "HowToCookLobster" I don't know why you guys type your addresses like 13345BanannaStreetDenverCO80445 or even 13345,Bananna,Street,Denver,CO,80445

I mean, I'm just saying. And even if that is how you write addresses in australia, it's pretty apparent that the search they are using is unable to figure it out, so perhaps, you should adapt and try to help yourself by helping the search out? I mean I guess you could just keep doing it the other way, never getting the results you want, and continuing to complain because that's probably easier for you....

MozMan68
Oct 1, 2013, 03:05 PM
"123 E43rd St" is common.

well...it's a common "mistake." as "E 43rd" is correct.

What bothers me is that typing in "123 East 43rd St" does not take one to the correct address....talk about bad parsing. :(

ErikGrim
Oct 1, 2013, 11:56 PM
You can roll your eyes, but you are the one who called me a liar and said it doesn't work and is not a feature when in fact it is.I think you will find that was in response to your eyerolling up there. :rolleyes: <- Genuine eye roll

R.Stoychev
Oct 2, 2013, 01:08 AM
"I live outside the US and Apple's Maps is OK. " - but I prefer google maps :)

jdsingle
Oct 2, 2013, 01:40 AM

Seriously? I lived in Southern California and Google Maps was a joke when it first started off. I don't see what the big deal is with Apple Maps, if it sucks, don't use it. Google Maps is available on your iPhone, use it.

MisterPunchy
Oct 2, 2013, 02:24 AM
Maps is fine, honestly.

Precisely. Thank you. Hate the double standard.

kaielement
Oct 2, 2013, 02:58 AM
I down loaded the Google maps for iOS and found that I got wring directions a few times. So far on iOS I haven't had as many issues. IOS maps for now when using my iPhone.

thekb
Oct 3, 2013, 08:48 PM
Apple Maps has been dead-on balls accurate for me.

It's an industry term.

robjulo
Oct 3, 2013, 08:59 PM
Until they add a way to scroll the map while navigating so I can see the upcoming route (or zoom out) I will continue to use google. A task as simple as trying to to figure out where it is taking you shouldn't involve going through "overview"

AMPoulos
Oct 4, 2013, 01:20 AM
Always have like Maps.
Only one time did I have a discrepancy.
I use Maps daily to log distance and time.
It Works very well, and is very, very accurate.

odin
Oct 4, 2013, 02:25 AM
Visit the TomTom website. Notice most Apple Maps errors are TomTom errors. Use TomToms site error reporter to report errors that gives feedback on when or if your error is accepted and will be in next update or refused. Do this for each error. Watch Apple Maps improve even more quickly.

imhereareyou
Oct 4, 2013, 02:42 AM
The maps tend to work awesome for me, my girlfriend has some big ole phone and that damn thing literally makes us go in circles, I am not even kidding, just happened last weekend. So we always pull out my trusty iphone.
Where are you guys from that this is happening? It works fine in San Francisco and Chicago where I normally go...

----------

Apple Maps has been dead-on balls accurate for me.

It's an industry term.

LMAO. I wish I could like this post!

cynics
Oct 4, 2013, 05:06 AM

Yet entering that address in every other gps system as Exx st works perfectly fine. So what are you talking about? Logical search engine lol

pojo1806
Oct 4, 2013, 05:11 AM
"I live outside the US and Apple's Maps is OK."

Only fault for me is it seems to be slower than my car, so I do miss the odd turn...

gentlefury
Oct 4, 2013, 09:24 AM
Just because some tech blogs made rash, snap judgements on maps when it first came out, why do people have to go on saying it sucks. Apple maps kills google in every way.

The Phazer
Oct 4, 2013, 09:54 AM
Just because some tech blogs made rash, snap judgements on maps when it first came out, why do people have to go on saying it sucks. Apple maps kills google in every way.

Because we're not blind and stupid?

Maps is unforgivably bad. Still. Apple has done no meaningful fixing of it's data which is junk in the UK.

chibamac
Oct 4, 2013, 10:36 AM
Ridiculously bad here in Ontario.. What a shame, it was designed to look very nice unlike google's maps. I'll settle for ugly maps that work properly however.

jonasdamn
Oct 4, 2013, 10:45 AM
no improvements for my country, reported tons of times but they didnt improve. Also Apple maps isnt so smooth as was with iOS6 but it will be fixed soon i think.

gentlefury
Oct 4, 2013, 11:45 AM
Because we're not blind and stupid?

Maps is unforgivably bad. Still. Apple has done no meaningful fixing of it's data which is junk in the UK.

Sucks for the uk. Works great here.

kevpan815
Oct 4, 2013, 11:56 AM
Whitehall Lane = Princeton Road. :mad:

It Is James
Oct 4, 2013, 12:04 PM
At least it no longer tries to kill you...

On a site note, I live in the United States (and often travel to Canada) and Apple Maps works just fine for me.

thekb
Oct 4, 2013, 07:23 PM
[/COLOR]

LMAO. I wish I could like this post!

You can. CLick the little up arrow in the bottom right corner of a post to "like" it.

Orange22
Oct 4, 2013, 07:29 PM
IOS 7 mapping is working ok. i feel like there is no difference with the IOS 6.:p

Arndroid
Oct 4, 2013, 07:32 PM
What if apple used Scottsmen drunk on whiskey to map out your burg?

Maybe it is not Apple's fault?

odin
Oct 4, 2013, 08:38 PM
no improvements for my country, reported tons of times but they didnt improve. Also Apple maps isnt so smooth as was with iOS6 but it will be fixed soon i think.

Read my post about TomTom above.

I've found that many of Apple's major issues in Maps are found in TomTom maps. You can report for faster fixes on THAT website rather than through Maps it seems. Posted more above.

Nevaborn
Oct 5, 2013, 07:13 AM

I've found that many of Apple's major issues in Maps are found in TomTom maps. You can report for faster fixes on THAT website rather than through Maps it seems. Posted more above.

TomTon seems to get more updates than Apple Maps data though. Also the user added share data should be included. Thats a great way.

odin
Oct 5, 2013, 11:25 AM
TomTon seems to get more updates than Apple Maps data though. Also the user added share data should be included. Thats a great way.

Agree, that's why I hope people report issues through the TomTom website as well. They enter repairs and updates more often. They also let you know if your changes are accepted or not and when/if they will be included in revisions. Once they go live there, Apple eventually incorporates them as well. At least you know you've been accepted so there some feedback with TomTom.

MozMan68
Oct 6, 2013, 06:18 AM
Agree, that's why I hope people report issues through the TomTom website as well. They enter repairs and updates more often. They also let you know if your changes are accepted or not and when/if they will be included in revisions. Once they go live there, Apple eventually incorporates them as well. At least you know you've been accepted so there some feedback with TomTom.

With a Maps app coming with Maverick, it seems logical that a Windows version (web based) can't be far behind so you will be able to submit directly with Apple.

jonasdamn
Oct 6, 2013, 06:28 AM

no problems with TomTom for me. However Apple maps still shows incorrect location

cynics
Oct 6, 2013, 08:42 AM

Oh come on! Even if you preferred Apple Maps no one can honestly say it beats Google Maps in every way.

It's fact that the POI aren't as good or as updated. It doesn't have basic features like avoidances. There is no way to get speed limit in the app.

Lol, if you click public transportation you get...

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/06/by2u5une.jpg

Hahah, it ask you to use Google (if installed) for proper direction. So how is Apple maps that relies on Google maps better then it?

What I've noticed is people that say it's the best are people that don't really travel. Goto a place you never been and you'll quickly find Apple maps needs to be supplemented but other mapping software.

odin
Oct 6, 2013, 12:54 PM
no problems with TomTom for me. However Apple maps still shows incorrect location

That's good on some level. Since they get so much info from TomTom, the more accurate TomTom is (in my area I've submitted over 50 'fixes' to TomTom, all have been accepted so far) the more accurate Apple will be the next time they pull data.

I also report to Apple, but I've never seen that that works on anything faster than a glacial pace. It'll be easier once it is done on the Mac. It's just a pain trying to input a lot of data quickly on a mobile device imo, so I only do the major ones.

----------

With a Maps app coming with Maverick, it seems logical that a Windows version (web based) can't be far behind so you will be able to submit directly with Apple.

Yup, it'll be easier then. You can do it now but it's tedious. I do wish they'd handle it like TomTom in that they accept your changes or not and explain why.

Chazz08
Oct 6, 2013, 01:15 PM
I just get annoyed that stuff I reported months ago still aren't fixed.

VulchR
Oct 6, 2013, 01:17 PM
Based on the title I was fully expecting to see choices:

1. It sucks some
2. It sucks a lot
3. It sucks immensely

:o

bobenhaus
Oct 6, 2013, 01:25 PM

Also Google Maps is light years ahead of Apple maps. The main reason is years and 1000's of employee's working on it. By the time Applecatches up with Google Maps, Apple will have to catch up again to Google Maps. Also Google is the main innovator when it comes to mapping technology.

----------

Also Google Maps is light years ahead of Apple maps. The main reason is years and 1000's of employee's working on it. By the time Apple catches up with Google Maps, Apple will have to catch up again to Google Maps. Also Google is the main innovator when it comes to mapping technology.

darngooddesign
Oct 6, 2013, 01:33 PM
just upgraded to ios 7 and maps still sucks...

lol

hexblot
Oct 7, 2013, 03:07 AM
I've been using Apple Maps since day 1 -- the directions they give are far better than Google Maps, however their POI database is dreadful. I normally end up looking up places etc on GMaps and then moving it over to Apple Maps to get decent directions.

Do note that in my case, it seems that GMaps are trying to get you as fast as possible (which normally includes the crappiest roads ever), whereas Apple maps make better use of larger streets. Normally it takes about the same, but it's a helluva better experience.

The last thing is that I REALLY despise the new look on Google Maps... but that's probably because I don't use it as much.

daneoni
Oct 7, 2013, 03:41 AM
Funny, i was out this weekend and Google Maps got me lost! Meanwhile Apple Maps got me back to the right place.

Nevaborn
Oct 7, 2013, 05:09 AM
Looked at my city last night at all the poi's and they are all stil wrong none of which updated since ios 6 came out.

It is still saying there is a zoo in the middle of the highstreet right bang inside a store >.>

I also hate how labels are on the wrong part of buildings. There are other map using apps that are user updatable by users including moving location and names etc

Apple maps still looks and runs better than googlw but they NEED to update the maps. Get current high detail data. Even if I have to pay for a map update.

Im sick of zooming in to a blurry picture then all image data dissapears revealing a grey grid. It seems cheap and poorly made.

Ipad even can come soon enough. Hope they announce updates to all Apple software.

devman
Oct 7, 2013, 05:39 AM
What I've noticed is people that say it's the best are people that don't really travel. Goto a place you never been and you'll quickly find Apple maps needs to be supplemented but other mapping software.

making enough assumptions there dude?

I travel often. I travelled to Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia, Japan, and Australia and I didn't need to use Google maps. Apple Maps has worked fine for me.

activate
Oct 7, 2013, 06:58 AM
Very impressed with Apple maps. The gps interface and the direction providing etiquette is the best I've seen, better than GPS specialised services. POIs and general map data presentation is also better than Google maps. 3d imagery where active is fantastic.

The map database may be larger at Google but in the last 6 months of use, travelling in and out of town, I 've yet to resort to Google's app.

The integration with 10.9 app also works exactly as expected ie. you can route the destination on the mac and send the instructions to your iOS device.

VulchR
Oct 7, 2013, 06:59 AM

I travel often. I travelled to Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia, Japan, and Australia and I didn't need to use Google maps. Apple Maps has worked fine for me.

Well, regrettably the poll suggests that your experience of using Maps outside of the US is not what most people experience. This is possibly why there is a certain amount of disagreement in this forum. With 330 people responding so far, it seems clear that Maps is not uniformly good outside the US:

Evaluation of maps:

Great: US - 58%; non-US: 28%
OK: US - 23%; non-US: 37%
Poor*: US - 19%; non-US: 35%

Obviously the sample might be biased, both in terms of the demographics of the people who read MR, but also who bothered to complete the poll. However, the differences in these proportions suggest that the experience of Maps outside the US is not up to Apple's usual high standard of quality. I think Apple should discount its iDevices outside the US until the quality of Maps outside the US is comparable to that of US Maps.

*Poor, as in the 'festering pile of excrement' kind of poor.

activate
Oct 7, 2013, 07:09 AM
discount its iDevices outside the US until the quality of Maps outside the US is comparable to that of US Maps.

lol

No one is forcing you to purchase an IOS device or use their maps app. Apple maps is an app that never existed before iOS 6 so nor are they taking away anything that they sold you.

VulchR
Oct 7, 2013, 09:36 AM
lol

No one is forcing you to purchase an IOS device or use their maps app. Apple maps is an app that never existed before iOS 6 so nor are they taking away anything that they sold you.

So... those of thus who live outside the US should tolerate poor service for this portion of Apple software even though we pay as much (or more) for iDeivces than those in the US?

You're right, though, nobody is forcing me to choose Apple products. But then again, nobody is forcing Apple to choose a particular price point for their iDevices. It works both ways, and if Apple wants to remain a global player it had better start paying attention to issues such as these.

xxBURT0Nxx
Oct 7, 2013, 10:30 AM
you think people in the US don't complain about certain apps or issues that they have with iOS?

So I guess apple should just discount phones for everyone because a few people here and there complain about some arbitrary feature.

Guess what, you can download another maps app.... you don't have to use apples if it doesn't work for you.

I don't get a discount on my phone just because I decide that I don't want to use apples calendar. Or because I decide not to use the stock weather app and replace it with something from the app store.

Should you get a discount on your next television because you don't use "feature C"??? Should they discount your next computer because you don't use the camera on top?? You don't just get a discount because a feature isn't needed, or doesn't suit your lifestyle.

MozMan68
Oct 7, 2013, 10:34 AM
I guess all of the "poor" software is why iPhone sales continue to decline...oh...wait....:p

cynics
Oct 7, 2013, 01:16 PM

Unlikely, public transportation in most of those counties is too important not to us. Especially Hong Kong, there are places that require public transport, never been to the other countries. And what do you know Apple doesn't support public transportation. Or am I assuming that and it actually does?

The Phazer
Oct 7, 2013, 01:58 PM
lol

Yes they are - functional integrated maps was a huge selling point for iPhones, and they did remove it from people.

Downloading a third party app doesn't integrate it.

MozMan68
Oct 7, 2013, 02:01 PM
Yes they are - functional integrated maps was a huge selling point for iPhones, and they did remove it from people.

Downloading a third party app doesn't integrate it.

C'mon...are you seriously comparing pre-iOS 6 maps to even the crappy poi one introduced a year ago? Turn-by-turn alone (even if you have to type in an address instead of searching for a POI) was worth the change.

Pre-iOS6 app was worthless for anything other than looking up basic directions or searching for a location.

OTACORB
Oct 7, 2013, 02:04 PM
Apple maps for me have been great, I've not had any issues whatsoever. I have done some side by side with Google maps and I'd say 99.9% of the time the Apple maps have been right on par.

I think where Apple maps have issues is in geographical areas outside the US where they have not had nearly as much work done. I mean you are talking 1 1/2 years vs Google's 10 plus years.

joejoejoe
Oct 7, 2013, 02:11 PM
Surprisingly little discussion of the interface here. I find Apple maps to be extraordinarily clean, informative, and beautiful. Accuracy of information and ease of search aside, I think it has a beautiful constructed map and navigation UI.

Polar opposite would be Waze, which is dangerously hard to make sense of while driving.

Personally I see the ultimate map app as having the interface of Apple's, the data of Waze, and the search capability of Google.

Sadly, Google snatched up Waze, and Apple's search algorithms don't seem to be getting any smarter, so this fantasy will only exist in my mind for now :(

MozMan68
Oct 7, 2013, 02:14 PM
... and Apple's search algorithms don't seem to be getting any smarter, so this fantasy will only exist in my mind for now :(

I would disagree here...at least in the US....searching has become increasingly better since launch last year. Pulls up local streets/poi's first when it didn't before. Still some "dumb" issues/isolated cases where it doesn't do that, but it has improved dramatically when I use it.

And to your point, it is so smooth and a pleasure to use with all the info I need right there on the screen. I do wish it would visually show data on the screen (as an option) like Waze does....I usually only care about upcoming traffic or police, but I would be happy if it just gave an indication of traffic jams. Google Maps doesn't even do that...:(

Zerilos
Oct 7, 2013, 02:23 PM
Maps is fine, honestly.

Had so many issues with Google Maps when I used a Droid 2. In 2 years had about 10 occasions where it led me to wrong location (often a corn field). About 4 months ago had my first (and only issue with Apple Maps)...cornfield issue again. I switched to Google Maps which then led me to exactly same location. Ended up using Map Quest on Safari to get to destination. Since then no issue with Apple Maps.

odin
Oct 7, 2013, 03:19 PM
I've been using Apple Maps since day 1 -- the directions they give are far better than Google Maps, however their POI database is dreadful. I normally end up looking up places etc on GMaps and then moving it over to Apple Maps to get decent directions.

Do note that in my case, it seems that GMaps are trying to get you as fast as possible (which normally includes the crappiest roads ever), whereas Apple maps make better use of larger streets. Normally it takes about the same, but it's a helluva better experience.

The last thing is that I REALLY despise the new look on Google Maps... but that's probably because I don't use it as much.

This seems generally true. Both offer me multiple routes for most destinations as well. You hit the nail on the head with one thing though: Apple has a POI problem because the crowd sourcing is NOT good data from Yelp.

There are HUGE issues in my area with things that Yelp has listed that are gone for years or in the wrong town. (There's a similar sounding town about 300 miles to the east, the businesses are often listed in my area.) You have to correct these somehow but Yelp never seems to update ANYTHING.

I sent Yelp info on a business that had closed. I listed a press release from the company, etc. They denied it and kept it open. I tried a second time, I included link to press release and a photo of the restaurant closed. They denied it. Finally I sent all that and a newspaper article about the closing along with a note that I was going to take them to task publicly for not updating info with proof. They finally changed it. That should not be what it takes.

The Phazer
Oct 7, 2013, 05:22 PM
C'mon...are you seriously comparing pre-iOS 6 maps to even the crappy poi one introduced a year ago? Turn-by-turn alone (even if you have to type in an address instead of searching for a POI) was worth the change.

Pre-iOS6 app was worthless for anything other than looking up basic directions or searching for a location.

The iOS 5 map was literally a million times more useful.

Turn by turn is completely useless if you don't know where something is. And more importantly, there are many, may of us who don't own a car, making it literally entirely useless as there's still no transit.

MozMan68
Oct 7, 2013, 05:38 PM

Turn by turn is completely useless if you don't know where something is. And more importantly, there are many, may of us who don't own a car, making it literally entirely useless as there's still no transit.

Was transit an option in iOS 5? I honestly don't remember.

I have found that third party apps are much better/more accurate anyway. I've used HopStop at every major city I have visited in the US and am assuming that since they were bought by Apple, it will be integrated shortly.

AppleMIA
Oct 7, 2013, 07:41 PM
He's right. It does. I couldn't even find Kickin Chicken with the Apple Maps, it's pretty usesless

MozMan68
Oct 7, 2013, 08:12 PM
He's right. It does. I couldn't even find Kickin Chicken with the Apple Maps, it's pretty usesless

Hmmmm...

xxBURT0Nxx
Oct 9, 2013, 01:50 PM

So download google maps and you will have all of the same functionality again. I don't know why you are complaining. If anything it's a win win situation because you have apple maps, and since google now has their own maps app on the app store they have updated it with a ton of features that were not there when it was an integrated map.

macred
Oct 9, 2013, 02:34 PM
I've noticed a degree of improvement. If we remember that it's a big project, that'll make waiting easier.

edhchoe
Oct 9, 2013, 03:05 PM
Apple maps database must be older than 3 years.
The autozone store in my area still doesn't show up. It's been there for over 3 years.

xxBURT0Nxx
Oct 9, 2013, 04:03 PM
The autozone store in my area still doesn't show up. It's been there for over 3 years.

maybe in certain areas, but there are definitely places that are newer than 3 years and show up in maps.

Nevaborn
Oct 9, 2013, 06:08 PM

My city in UK its over 6 years out of date. Its an Apple, Tom Tom and Google issue. All ou of date. They all need to get their act together if tey are going to offer this service as its not only inconvenient to users creating bad pr for the company but can be down right lethal if wrong information is given.

My biggest issue with Apple is you zoom in and get so far and the image quality deteriorates ans then really bad it disappears just leaving grey squares where there is no data. If theres no data then stop me zooming in ! It feels so half assed and unprofessional to see it happen especially from Apple.

Id also like to be able to zoom in closer to streets in high detail so I can see whats going on. Of course a street view is highly preferential.

cjmillsnun
Oct 9, 2013, 07:02 PM

OK lets answer this as a geographic information professional.

Maps and GI is my day job.

Google maps was appalling for several years before it finally became OK. It is still not a patch on Ordnance Survey data (with the exception of streetview), nor will it ever be. If I had the resources I could set up a maps service using freely available OS data that would make G maps as supplied on previous iOS versions look amateurish. Sadly I can't afford servers with enough bandwidth to handle it.

Now the front end app for Apple Maps is actually a well designed mini GIS implementation. It's quick and works. I have issues with Apple's cartography (for example road colours in the UK and the EU are not to standard - Motorways/Autoroutes etc should be blue, Primary routes green etc - but Google have gone the same way!), but Apple in using vector data (with the exception of the aerial mapping which by necessity has to be raster based) they have to be praised. It made Google get off their backside and create their own G Maps app which is reasonable.

The problem is they get their POI and road data from TomTom (or more specifically TeleAtlas). They are IMO the poorest data supplier on the market.

The best in this country is unquestionably OS, but for the MasterMap ITN data (which they would need for TBT directions) the licence fees would be astronomical and as OS is a government agency would probably solve this countries deficit!

The next best supplier is NavTech - They supply most integrated sat nav and the Garmin Nuvi portable sat nav mapping. The problem is they're owned by Nokia, who are now owned by Microsoft... That data is for Windows Phone or for paid apps.

The next best supplier is actually free. It's OpenStreetMap. This is crowd sourced. Everything is under the GPL. It's constantly being updated by users, many of whom (like me) are GI professionals in their day job. If I were Apple I'd be making extensive use of it. (They do make some use of it but not nearly enough IMO).

Then there's Google Maps. It's OK, reasonably accurate but all the above are better.

Lastly TomTom. It's really only designed for TBT navigation You'll find that curves are badly rendered (caused by inaccurate GPS logging), and points of interest are rarely updated.

Then there's issues with the raster data (aerial photography - incorrectly referred to as satellite data) that Apple uses. Some of it is badly mosaicked leading to melting issues, and others are based on old photography - hence some of it is low res and some of the high res is black and white. Google had this problem about 5 years ago.

----------

I beg to differ!

----------

You're not forced to use Apple maps either. Google maps is a free download from the app store and now has TBT directions

----------

Do you have any idea how much it costs for that?

They don't do it in the US either. Google do, yes, but they sell their maps. Anybody that uses google maps APIs for commercial use has to pay. Also Google make money on advertising on their maps. Apple don't.

----------

there are lots of iSheep on the forums, I do love Apple and iOS 7 but lets be honest their maps efforts are a joke

I'd love to see you do better. It's not easy and it's bloody expensive.

wingsabre
Oct 9, 2013, 08:38 PM
Just visited Tucson, and the directions to the Tucson Airport directed me to the Costco. Second attempt direct me to the Employee parking lot. Google Maps directed me directly to the terminal on the first attempt.

VulchR
Oct 10, 2013, 06:59 AM
Do you have any idea how much it costs for that <hiring people to do the mapping>?

They don't do it in the US either. Google do, yes, but they sell their maps. Anybody that uses google maps APIs for commercial use has to pay. Also Google make money on advertising on their maps. Apple don't.
I'd love to see you do better. It's not easy and it's bloody expensive.

Thank you for posting an informed opinion. I always figured that the cause of the problems was that Apple had picked the wrong partners.

'Expensive' is a relative term when Apple's unused cash is considered. Moreover, it would not cost much for Apple to start addressing user-reported errors. Again, as I said above, there are a lot of people out of work in both the US and Europe and now would be a good time for Apple to employ people to sort out maps. The salaries that people are willing to accept are lower now than they would be if the economy picks up (if it ever does).

By the way, Apple does make money on the basis of their reputation for quality control, but right now Apple's Maps where I am in the UK advertises that Apple thinks a half-assed job is OK. That can be expensive in the long run if Apple cannot convince consumers to pay that little bit more for iDevices.

GlenK
Oct 10, 2013, 07:02 AM
i find apple maps to be more accurate than google maps

Same for me. Google misspelled the street I live on. Have reported it numerous times over the last year or so and it still hasn't been updated.
Apple maps is far better for accuracy in my area.

robjulo
Oct 10, 2013, 07:04 AM
Surprisingly little discussion of the interface here. I find Apple maps to be extraordinarily clean, informative, and beautiful. Accuracy of information and ease of search aside, I think it has a beautiful constructed map and navigation UI.

(

I disagree as it is missing one glaring, basic interface feature. You cannot scroll the map or zoom out while navigating.

Often, I want to see where the route is taking me, how where my next turn is, is it a hard turn or more of a merge, etc. etc. You cannot do it with Apple maps. You have to click out to "overview", which gives you the entire route.

Google Maps does it right in this aspect. I can scroll the map, zoom in, zoom out, all while navigating. It is the one main reason I continue to use Google Maps and not Apple Maps.

jcorbin
Oct 10, 2013, 01:10 PM
It actually got worse. Now it can't even figure out where my house is or my office. It puts my hours in the middle of a round about on a major road. Had a dentist appt and forgot how to get there from work. Looked it up and the address was right so I started navigation. Finally got close and realized the pin was across town.

gmanist1000
Oct 10, 2013, 01:24 PM
I want to like Apple Maps, I really do... they just have small errors that make me lean towards Google Maps.

440121 440122

440123 440124

gmanist1000
Oct 10, 2013, 01:25 PM
Here's another. I reported this error back when iOS 6 was in beta... still not fixed.

440127 440128

Brazuca
Oct 10, 2013, 01:55 PM
Here's another. I reported this error back when iOS 6 was in beta... still not fixed.

440127 440128

This tracks with my experience also, but can you re-post those with the same search in both apps so we can have comparable results?

thekb
Oct 13, 2013, 08:03 AM
It is still saying there is a zoo in the middle of the highstreet right bang inside a store >.>

Have you ever been there at Christmas?

daviddth
Oct 13, 2013, 08:22 AM

But at least when it found something it was in the right place. Sorry, 50% or more of the searches done here in Australia are close, but not close enough. It's not unusual for the street numbers to be reversed end to end, businesses and other POI to be miles off their real locations (or so far out of date), and some suburbs that are 10+ years old are not there yet.

It's not the actual Maps app itself, that seems to work pretty well, it's the data it has both in mapping data as well as POI. Much of this has been reported a LOT to Apple (and Yelp) and reports 12+ months old have not been acted on, so the data is still wrong. Surely Apple has the resources, funds and clout to get this stuff fixed eithor in house, externally, or by licencing data from a new and more reliable source.

zone23
Oct 13, 2013, 08:28 AM
I remember when maps came on paper and i kept it in my glove box. It was never updated.. that said I have yet to turn into the side of a building because thats were the GPS said to go. A little common sense goes a long ways.

Altis
Oct 13, 2013, 09:47 AM
I like the speed of the Vector maps over Google maps for sure.

Only I struggle to see the roads. Why does it have to be very thin light grey on white?

At night, I use invert colors because the white light just washes it all out. Even then, I struggle to see where all the roads meet up. There's been a few times where I though a road was continuous but it had a break that I couldn't see.

I have sharp eyes and love the crisp new fonts... but those map lines...

Nevaborn
Oct 14, 2013, 01:46 AM
Have you ever been there at Christmas?

In that caseid of labeled it ghost town

VulchR
Oct 16, 2013, 05:40 AM
I like the speed of the Vector maps over Google maps for sure.

Only I struggle to see the roads. Why does it have to be very thin light grey on white?

At night, I use invert colors because the white light just washes it all out. Even then, I struggle to see where all the roads meet up. There's been a few times where I though a road was continuous but it had a break that I couldn't see.

I have sharp eyes and love the crisp new fonts... but those map lines...

I find them very hard to see as well, which makes the one aspect of Maps where I am that is actually accurate less useful to me. I just don't get why Apple hasn't fixed Maps.

scoop2mylue
Oct 16, 2013, 05:55 AM
I have had no problems with apples map app

Boredalert
Nov 18, 2013, 08:51 PM
It seems that all the apple fanboys (and fan girls) cannot find fault with apple maps. I have a big problem with apple maps. My business address is listed wrong in apple maps. It was listed wrong in google maps, but the big difference is that Google figured out a system to fix problems, Apple has not. Google maps has a mapmaker app that you can sign up, go in, correct your map, and some higher up supervisor will determine if your correction is valid, then your problem is fixed. Google fixed my problem, apple did not. I have written 3 emails to Tim Cook, no reply. I have send no less than 50 messages to apple to fix my address and still not a correction. I have spoken to store managers, one who sent my information to Cupertino, to no avail. Apple maps had my address on the wrong side of a bridge detour. You have any idea how bad this has been? Now the construction is basically finished, so people can at least cross the two bridges and under the highway to find me but, pleeese.. It is terrible that this giant company flushed with cash can't put enough cash into fixing this problematic map app and set up a corrective system with people actually doing something when they receive error messages.

CB1234
Nov 18, 2013, 09:39 PM
It seems that all the apple fanboys (and fan girls) cannot find fault with apple maps. I have a big problem with apple maps. My business address is listed wrong in apple maps. It was listed wrong in google maps, but the big difference is that Google figured out a system to fix problems, Apple has not. Google maps has a mapmaker app that you can sign up, go in, correct your map, and some higher up supervisor will determine if your correction is valid, then your problem is fixed. Google fixed my problem, apple did not. I have written 3 emails to Tim Cook, no reply. I have send no less than 50 messages to apple to fix my address and still not a correction. I have spoken to store managers, one who sent my information to Cupertino, to no avail. Apple maps had my address on the wrong side of a bridge detour. You have any idea how bad this has been? Now the construction is basically finished, so people can at least cross the two bridges and under the highway to find me but, pleeese.. It is terrible that this giant company flushed with cash can't put enough cash into fixing this problematic map app and set up a corrective system with people actually doing something when they receive error messages.

Just out of curiosity, how did people find you before Apple maps were released?????

Boredalert
Nov 19, 2013, 04:37 AM
Map quest and now Google Maps, they still get lost when they use Apple Maps, they get to the other side of the two bridges and across the highway, end up at a parking lot, and generally call me to tell me they cannot find my building. I have stated clearly in my notices to Apple that they have the beginning of my street numbers in the wrong place. But my output seems go to a dead end. Before I posted last night I checked again to see if the correction was made, but of course it was not. There is no function where I can reach a supervisor who can get this fixed for me. I am wondering as to what will get their attention as nothing has helped. I am hoping someone at Apple might read about this problem.

stringent
Nov 19, 2013, 04:38 AM
The mapping is OK, its the POIs which are mostly wrong I find.

DaveOfNorway
Nov 19, 2013, 06:44 AM
I used Google maps right from its beginning and it also took some time before it became what it is now...and its still not perfect!
Mapping apps are complex and take time to develop.

attila
Nov 19, 2013, 06:52 AM
You were forced to use it for the first year, and it was the default maps app for the next five years.

But GoogleMaps had existed for several years before that, so your 'forced' Google Maps app had tonnes of more data from the start.

darngooddesign
Nov 19, 2013, 08:11 AM
But GoogleMaps had existed for several years before that, so your 'forced' Google Maps app had tonnes of more data from the start.

That's true, but I was responding to cyks who said we were never forced to use Google Maps.

Boredalert
Nov 19, 2013, 10:10 AM
My complaint with maps, google included, is when I am driving and I need to make a pit stop, like buy juice at a convienience store or whatever, there is no "shunt switch" or "holding pattern switch". I go to the bathroom and it tells me to "u-turn or take a left" , all I want is for it to shut up till I am ready to continue to my destination.

benji888
Nov 19, 2013, 11:12 AM
My complaint with maps, google included, is when I am driving and I need to make a pit stop, like buy juice at a convienience store or whatever, there is no "shunt switch" or "holding pattern switch". I go to the bathroom and it tells me to "u-turn or take a left" , all I want is for it to shut up till I am ready to continue to my destination.
I've had apple maps switch to walking directions...agreed, need a "pause" or "hold", "pit stop/rest area", or "I'm on the toilet, shut up!" button!

ErikGrim
Nov 19, 2013, 09:03 PM

Just click End. Then when you are ready to resume, click route. I thought everyone did this?

biosci
Nov 19, 2013, 10:35 PM

Try editing it on TomToms site... I did that for errors around me I noticed. But it may take time for data to be updated from them and then for apple to incorporate that map data.

Boredalert
Nov 20, 2013, 03:13 AM
I corrected my map at Tom Tom, thanks for the heads up. Now I will wait and see what happens. If this is all that it takes, then why is "correct your map" not included in FAQ's or "Search" on Apples website, accompanied with a link to Tom Tom? Why is it that all the Apple staff at the Apple Stores are untrained and clueless as to information regarding fixing your map?

LarxJo
Nov 20, 2013, 05:25 AM
I pretty sure you don't look how it's in Switzerland.

Almost no Point of interest. When I found one. It is at the location it was 15 years ago. I report it to Apple more than 1 year ago, but nothing change.

A big part of the country is in light green for an unknown reason. As you can imagine, the road are almost not visible to the eyes.

So, as Apple doesn't care, as They almost answer "**** you. Its not our work anymore to fix problem", I'm using Google map.

biosci
Nov 20, 2013, 06:37 AM
I corrected my map at Tom Tom, thanks for the heads up. Now I will wait and see what happens. If this is all that it takes, then why is "correct your map" not included in FAQ's or "Search" on Apples website, accompanied with a link to Tom Tom? Why is it that all the Apple staff at the Apple Stores are untrained and clueless as to information regarding fixing your map?

Who knows why Apple Store employees don't know. I find that true enough often enough! And I hear they're 'really strict' per say in their hiring practices. Does that mean you or I could easily get jobs there? Dunno? Maybe we need to be more hipster/quirky/etc to work there LOL! I'm guessing map updates just take forever but in the sense of a small business owner. That's a big deal.

edddeduck
Nov 20, 2013, 08:31 AM

Did you really use Google Maps for the first few years? Edinburgh was shocking with massive errors all over and not just the minor roads, my parents village DIDN'T EVEN EXIST!

I have noticed the improvements with Apple's Maps on a monthly basis (no OS update needed). Sure it's not as good as Googles in some respects but Google has over a decades head start which counts for a lot when aggregating data.

Given how it is progressing I don't have any major concerns, give it another 18 months and it will be even closer to Google but things take time.

I think you are expecting a bit much to expect the maps in some small location in Scotland to be accurate immediately compared to a system that Google have spent 10/15 YEARS improving.

Data for Map apps is aggregated and updated from many sources and some of those sources are wrong/out of date for Apple and that takes time to fix especially considering the millions of reports (and fact checking) that needs to be done for each one.

Edwin

cynics
Nov 20, 2013, 11:47 AM
Just out of curiosity, how did people find you before Apple maps were released?????

Prior Apple maps people were using other services with the correct address.

This is my issue with Apple maps. I just can't trust it as much as I'd like too. I always end up double checking with other mapping software to verify if it's correct or not regardless if it is correct prior to driving somewhere.

There have been plenty of times I'm running Apple and Google maps at the same time.

VulchR
Nov 21, 2013, 03:24 AM
Did you really use Google Maps for the first few years? Edinburgh was shocking with massive errors all over and not just the minor roads, my parents village DIDN'T EVEN EXIST!

I have noticed the improvements with Apple's Maps on a monthly basis (no OS update needed). Sure it's not as good as Googles in some respects but Google has over a decades head start which counts for a lot when aggregating data.

Given how it is progressing I don't have any major concerns, give it another 18 months and it will be even closer to Google but things take time.

I think you are expecting a bit much to expect the maps in some small location in Scotland to be accurate immediately compared to a system that Google have spent 10/15 YEARS improving.

Data for Map apps is aggregated and updated from many sources and some of those sources are wrong/out of date for Apple and that takes time to fix especially considering the millions of reports (and fact checking) that needs to be done for each one.

Edwin

In the poll for this thread, more people outside the US thought Apple's maps were poor than excellent. The reverse pattern is true in the US. My point is that in spite of the fact that Apple has a 'research center' in Ireland, which allows it to avoid corporate tax, the bulk of their money seems to be aimed at providing services to the US. Yet, here in Europe we pay as much – or more – for our iDevices as those in the US.

Moreover, I see very little evidence whatsoever that Apple is correcting wildly inaccurate POI's in their database. Apple have obviously partnered with the wrong geoinformation companies, but instead of remedying their error by spending a little more cash, they simply ask us to accept a second-rate service compared to the US. There are a lot of unemployed in the UK who no doubt would be ecstatic to correct POI errors for a modest wage. Indeed, does Apple make the process of reporting errors easily documented by allowing photos with GPS information to accompany error reports? No, they don't. They're doing a half-assed job. Given the high level of quality in the other domains of Apple products, I find this both frustrating and extremely odd.

Bad :apple:.

edddeduck
Nov 21, 2013, 04:31 AM
In the poll for this thread, more people outside the US thought Apple's maps were poor than excellent. The reverse pattern is true in the US.

I would say that you're slightly manipulating the stats to prove your point.

For people outside the US you get the following results:
27% Excellent
38% OK
34% Poor

For people in the US you get the following results:
54% Excellent
27% OK
19% Poor

Your "steaming pile of excrement" comment (I used poor) does show potentially some bias to how you think the results should be described.

You could just as easily say 65% of people outside of the US think Apple Maps gives an OK or Excellent service compared to 81% of US users. That stat suddenly looks quite good.

My point is that in spite of the fact that Apple has a 'research center' in Ireland, which allows it to avoid corporate tax, the bulk of their money seems to be aimed at providing services to the US. Yet, here in Europe we pay as much – or more – for our iDevices as those in the US.

That is a massive assumption to make, perhaps Apple being a US company and the US having better mapping partners and up to date information could be part of reason for the discrepancy?

Moreover, I see very little evidence whatsoever that Apple is correcting wildly inaccurate POI's in their database.

I believe Apple are focusing on the areas with the largest population and errors reported first so they can improve the service for the most number of users first. This was what Google did places like Edinburgh and the north of England took years to update (my parents home was a field for about 5 years!). However when I moved to London the errors I did find were updated and fixed a lot quicker.

Here is a population map of the UK, every colour has the same population but as you can see some areas are bigger than others.

http://twitter.com/tkb/status/397428787899420674/photo/1

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BYPzYH7CUAAzAMv.jpg:large

As you can see fixing issues in London (the small dark blob) would fix issues for a bigger population than all of Scotland, Northern Ireland and the North of England! I am not saying it's great for people in sparsely populated areas but you can see the logic to fixing the issues that effect the most amount of people first?

Apple have obviously partnered with the wrong geoinformation companies, but instead of remedying their error by spending a little more cash, they simply ask us to accept a second-rate service compared to the US.

The statistics (given the size of the ENTIRE WORLD) are not that bad for a relatively new service. As for partnering with the wrong companies I wouldn't say that was necessarily the case, Apple have partnered with TomTom for some of the Map information for example who have a very reliable street map system.

Yes some of the other systems are not quite upto date but if you cannot partner with Google then you have to use other systems like Yelp etc which are not quite as robust. I can't tell how much money they are pouring into mapping but it is definitely hundreds of millions based on mapping companies they have bought however throwing money at a massive problem won't always fix it quicker, you also need time.

There are a lot of unemployed in the UK who no doubt would be ecstatic to correct POI errors for a modest wage. Indeed, does Apple make the process of reporting errors easily documented by allowing photos with GPS information to accompany error reports?

Apple allow GPS based reports built into the Mapping program which should suffice. Correcting POI issues isn't this simple grab a few people off the street and update issues blindly. You need to aggregate all the reports, independently verify that the change is indeed correct (a photo won't be enough proof on it's own). You want corrections to be correct and improve the service, blinding updating things based of anonymous reports is a recipe for problems.

Fo example what if a bunch of students reported a street name error renaming it something rude. If enough people report the "change" it still shouldn't be altered unless independently verified. This cannot be solved quicker by hiring more people in a massive call centre style building.

No, they don't. They're doing a half-assed job. Given the high level of quality in the other domains of Apple products, I find this both frustrating and extremely odd.

Bad :apple:.

I get it, where you live maps is not as good as Google maps. But it took Google over a decade to get the system to the state they have it now after spending billions on it. Expecting Apple to get to the same level in a year or two is expecting a bit much. Given the head start Google have they seem to be doing pretty well based on the poll you ran.

Can they do better? Yes.

Are Apple working pretty hard on improving it? Yes.

Have overall users experiences improved massively since launch of Maps with iOS6? Yes.

Does more focus need to be on the less populated areas now the main areas are getting much better? Yes.

Should we keep reporting issues to Apple to help them keep up the pace? Yes.

Edwin

OllyW
Nov 21, 2013, 05:05 AM
Does more focus need to be on the less populated areas now the main areas are getting much better? Yes.

A well though out post.

I'd like to make one point though. I live in the middle of one of the most densely populated areas outside London (the blue bit in the middle) and the response to error reports has been pathetic. Most of the smaller towns in the West Midlands area are still unlabelled and I've reported dozens of other mistakes on numerous occasions since Maps was released, which have all been ignored.

So I would agree with most of your post but disagree with the statement about "now the main areas are getting much better".

edddeduck
Nov 21, 2013, 06:01 AM
A well though out post.

I'd like to make one point though. I live in the middle of one of the most densely populated areas outside London (the blue bit in the middle) and the response to error reports has been pathetic. Most of the smaller towns in the West Midlands area are still unlabelled and I've reported dozens of other mistakes on numerous occasions since Maps was released, which have all been ignored.

So I would agree with most of your post but disagree with the statement about "now the main areas are getting much better".

I think if Apple had an option "let me know when this issue status is updated" option that would help with some of the complaints.

If you knew your reported issue was fixed/duplicate/open/needs verification it would at least let you know the report you logged was not going into a black hole.

Edwin

VulchR
Nov 21, 2013, 07:56 AM

I think if Apple had an option "let me know when this issue status is updated" option that would help with some of the complaints.

If you knew your reported issue was fixed/duplicate/open/needs verification it would at least let you know the report you logged was not going into a black hole.

Edwin

If we can think of ways for Apple to do Maps better, than why can't Apple? I get that some parts of the world are less densely populated as your maps shows, but then again the number of POI's is also less dense. Of course it does makes sense - given Apple's poor implementation of Maps in the first place - to mitigate the disaster by satisfying as many people as possible first by working on high-density areas. However, that still does not explain the US bias, for the EU-27 have about 7% of the world's population and North America has 5%. Finally, having one out of three people outside the US being dissatisfied with a given Apple product seems wholly counter to Apple's focus on quality and excellence. In part this is why I started the thread - first to see if my poor experience is shared by others outside the US (it is) and to put pressure on Apple to start treating its non-US customers as deserving the same service as those in the US (Are you from the US by the way?). The same type of issue applies to Siri services outside the US.

edddeduck
Nov 21, 2013, 08:35 AM
If we can think of ways for Apple to do Maps better, than why can't Apple?

My point is I think Apple know about the issues but things like this take time. They usually (for good or bad) do things in silence and don't expose their thinking on problems.

I get that some parts of the world are less densely populated as your maps shows, but then again the number of POI's is also less dense. Of course it does makes sense - given Apple's poor implementation of Maps in the first place - to mitigate the disaster by satisfying as many people as possible first by working on high-density areas.

It took Google a few billion dollars, lots of companies keen to get their data integrated into google search (which benefited maps) and over 10 years of hard work to get to the accuracy they have now. I still think your expectations for a new system (that cannot access or use any of Googles proprietary tech or databases) a little harsh.

However, that still does not explain the US bias, for the EU-27 have about 7% of the world's population and North America has 5%. Finally, having one out of three people outside the US being dissatisfied with a given Apple product seems wholly counter to Apple's focus on quality and excellence.

It's not a simple as that as I was trying to show in my population graphic.

There are many factors, in the USA you are looking at a single country with a single counties mapping data, language, legal rules etc. For Europe most countries have different mapping companies, different companies might have accurate data, data formats etc are different. You might have to communicate with different languages when contacting data companies etc.

They all look small items but together it means getting Europe sorted is many times harder than the US. Combine this with the fact Apple don't have a search engine full of data that can be data mined and they have a harder job on their hands. Remember it's in Googles interest to hamper Apple's mapping efforts as much as possible, it makes their platform(s) look better.

It's also assuming the adoption rate of iOS in Europe is the same as the states, last time I checked Apple have double the install base in the states making it a bigger territory for Apple in terms of users.

In part this is why I started the thread - first to see if my poor experience is shared by others outside the US (it is) and to put pressure on Apple to start treating its non-US customers as deserving the same service as those in the US (Are you from the US by the way?). The same type of issue applies to Siri services outside the US.

I doubt this thread is going to put any extra pressure on Apple (but we might as well try), I think they already know Maps is something they need to focus on based on all their comments and investment in the area. I would say compared to a year ago when I would have rated Apple Maps as poor based on recent usage I would be between OK and Excellent.

I use it around London and on Motorways/Major roads. I couple of months ago when using both Google Maps and Apple Maps while travelling near Oxford only Apple told me a motorway slip road was closed saving me 45 minutes on my journey. I know this is only one case but I thought it's worth mentioning as an example of Apple's Maps being better/improved even over Google.

As per my previous posts I work on London but have family in the north of England and I have previously lived in Edinburgh, when Google Maps was brand new and much worse(!) than Apple maps is now.

I am not trying to say that Apple don't need to improve the service (they do), or that the US gets better service on launch with everything from iTunes to Siri (it does) what I am saying is what they are trying to do from scratch is very hard and expecting it to work as well as something like Google maps with a decade of time and user input combined with a few billion dollars of investment is expecting a lot.

Edwin

VulchR
Nov 22, 2013, 03:38 AM
I understand all you have to say, but a company with Apple's resources should be able to manage Maps better, and to keep their customers updated about efforts to improve maps. If appropriate partners are not available for a given reason, then Apple should hire people to do the mapping, just like Google did. The problem is that Apple wants to be like Google, but does not want to invest like Google. In any case, I've said my peace. I prefer using Apple's products to Google's for a variety of reasons, and it is a shame that where I am Apple's Maps is worth than useless. Indeed, it is not just a shame for me, but it is also for the local businesses that rely on the hundreds of thousands of people who visit our area as tourists.

Finally, as a resident in Scotland, don't get me started on the resources that go to London compared to the rest of the UK... :p

globalist
Nov 22, 2013, 08:59 AM
Apple still uses Google maps for Find My Friends/iphone. Just saying. :cool:

SolRayz
Nov 22, 2013, 09:26 AM
I live in South Florida, hardly a rural or uncharted area of the US, and Apple maps fails to even list the road to my work. It's not even mapped correctly. It's a real pain for clients to find us since maps guides you down a road that doesn't even exist!!! Apple fail!

Also I find map loading much slower than it used to be...kind of pointless to have solid LTE and apple can't even keep up with maps on the road consistently.

bransoj
Nov 22, 2013, 09:46 AM

Not on my iPhone 5 they dont appear to...its apple maps.

MozMan68
Nov 22, 2013, 10:42 AM

ummmm...No....Apple has only used Apple Maps since iOS6 for their own apps.

globalist
Nov 22, 2013, 10:49 AM
ummmm...No....Apple has only used Apple Maps since iOS6 for their own apps.

Ummmmm, Google maps is still used on https://www.icloud.com for Find My Iphone.

bransoj
Nov 22, 2013, 10:54 AM
Ummmmm, Google maps is still used on https://www.icloud.com for Find My Iphone.

Yes they use it on the web version as they dont have a web version of their maps. If you use the Find My iPhone app then its Apple maps

mcfly88
Nov 22, 2013, 10:54 AM
Maps has come a long way, it was usable when it first released (at least in my are, MA). However, I've been using it recently with really good results.. at least when it comes to driving. Walking directions are still awful, it can never find exactly where I am.

robjulo
Nov 22, 2013, 12:46 PM
My biggest gripe with it now, isn't so much the routes or not finding correct addresses, it is the interface, it stinks.

The lack of an ability to scroll the map without going through "overview" makes me use google maps almost all the time. Right now, without hitting "overview", all it lets you do is some sort of strange rotation of the map, which is utterly useless.

Zellio
Nov 22, 2013, 12:48 PM
I used Google maps right from its beginning and it also took some time before it became what it is now...and its still not perfect!
Mapping apps are complex and take time to develop.

How many more years will you people give this excuse?

MozMan68
Nov 22, 2013, 03:09 PM
Yes they use it on the web version as they dont have a web version of their maps. If you use the Find My iPhone app then its Apple maps

He shoots he scores...:D

CarlosQG
Nov 22, 2013, 03:28 PM
I live outside the US and Maps suck. It won't find restaurants and schools Google Maps do, not to mention they use 4 year-old data.

globalist
Nov 22, 2013, 04:28 PM
He shoots he scores...:D

Hmm, so this multi-billion company doesn't have a web version of their own maps that were introduced 2 years ago? What's next? They can't get their own maps up to par with Google's for the same lenght of time and have to emergency- crowd-source the data corrections to their alpha-grade product? You don't say!

Señor
Nov 22, 2013, 05:47 PM
It's great for me.

Some people you just can't please.

:rolleyes:

MozMan68
Nov 23, 2013, 06:11 AM
Hmm, so this multi-billion company doesn't have a web version of their own maps that were introduced 2 years ago? What's next? They can't get their own maps up to par with Google's for the same lenght of time and have to emergency- crowd-source the data corrections to their alpha-grade product? You don't say!

I guess I should apologize for being correct...:rolleyes:

And thank you for correcting all of us on the bar of success being, " must have a web version of Maps app" as being the new standard to make your point valid...:rolleyes:

Sorry...I need to roll my eyes one more time...:rolleyes:

Nozuka
Nov 23, 2013, 06:28 AM
i will probably never switch to apple maps, as long as i'm happy with google maps, even if it became just as good. there would have to be an extremely good feature (that google maps doesnt have) to make me switch.
no reason to switch from something i know and love, when the other service is not massively better.

globalist
Nov 23, 2013, 03:17 PM
I guess I should apologize for being correct...:rolleyes:

And thank you for correcting all of us on the bar of success being, " must have a web version of Maps app" as being the new standard to make your point valid...:rolleyes:

Sorry...I need to roll my eyes one more time...:rolleyes:

Where did I say they must have a web version of Maps app? Are you even familair with icloud.com? :rolleyes:

MartinAppleGuy
Nov 24, 2013, 10:36 AM
Maps is much better that Google Maps App. Although the original Google Maps was better.

robjulo
Nov 24, 2013, 01:02 PM
Maps is much better that Google Maps App. Although the original Google Maps was better.

How is it much better? Is it more accurate? Is the UI while navigating better? Are the POIs more complete.

In my experience, it is less accurate, has less POIs and the key differentiator in the UI is the ability to scroll while navigating with google, which Apple also does not have.

edddeduck
Nov 25, 2013, 03:17 AM
How is it much better? Is it more accurate? Is the UI while navigating better? Are the POIs more complete.

I prefer the UI on the Apple Maps app, it's cleaner and easier to use. However I also have Google Maps installed plus TomTom.

Doesn't hurt to have options.

Edwin

Zcott
Nov 25, 2013, 04:15 AM
Google Maps good for POIs. Apple Maps good for turn by turn. Tom Tom good for areas of no data.

Boredalert
Nov 25, 2013, 07:23 AM
I went to Tom Tom and made 2 corrections relating to the problems with my map and directions to my location. I received a notice that my correction was approved and will be in the next update. Does this mean my problems with Apple maps will be fixed? Does anyone have an idea when Apple will update its maps and how often they update?

Jambalaya
Nov 25, 2013, 07:31 AM
UK and French mapping is still poor. Seems to have improved from original version when I was sent to wrong address nearly an hours walk away from where I wanted. It's not just an iOS problem, Mavericks is just as poor. Too mnay 3D gimmicks whilst basic data is sub standard.

I'm remain 100% on google for mapping.

Boredalert
Feb 10, 2014, 02:30 PM
I posted quite a while ago about how bad apple screwed me with apple maps. Well, 5 (I'm guessing) months later. Still same ****. Wrong map info, sent another 20 or so notices about the incorrect maps, had my map fixed on Tom Tom, still nothing. This company seems to only be interested in getting retail product out the door, managing to suppress any bad info and do nothing about REAL customer service.

m0thr4
Feb 23, 2014, 11:39 AM
Maps is fine, honestly.

No, but they had the good grace to call it Google Maps Beta... and they're doing the same with the overhauled version.

And they did not charge money for it. When you buy an iPhone with iOS7, part of what you're paying for is Apple Maps.

----------

I went to Tom Tom and made 2 corrections relating to the problems with my map and directions to my location. I received a notice that my correction was approved and will be in the next update. Does this mean my problems with Apple maps will be fixed? Does anyone have an idea when Apple will update its maps and how often they update?

No, I submitted a fix for my street name via TomTom's online map share website nearly 18 months ago, but it's still wrong in Apple Maps. So, this tells me Apple's street data is at least 18 months out of date.

I'm not sure how long TomTom took to fix the problem, but I submitted the same change to Google Maps, and it took 2 weeks for them to fix it, and I was kept updated on progress via email throughout.

m0thr4
Feb 23, 2014, 11:53 AM
I posted quite a while ago about how bad apple screwed me with apple maps. Well, 5 (I'm guessing) months later. Still same ****. Wrong map info, sent another 20 or so notices about the incorrect maps, had my map fixed on Tom Tom, still nothing. This company seems to only be interested in getting retail product out the door, managing to suppress any bad info and do nothing about REAL customer service.

I think it's very telling that while companies that pride themselves on customer service are setting up Twitter accounts and Facebook pages... Apple has neither.

Apple's brief era of innovation has passed; to their credit, they have encouraged a number of other technology companies to rethink their game. Now Apple sits on the sidelines and watches these companies surpass them in every respect. It's very frustrating, as all my mobile & computer devices at home are Apple-based. Yet whereas this used to attract envious looks from friends... I now find the reverse. You have phones that recognise when you're looking at them, and delay the screen lock accordingly... what's Apple's new feature? A fingerprint scanner... ancient technology that was proven insecure and unreliable many years ago.

Todd B.
Feb 23, 2014, 12:08 PM
No, but they had the good grace to call it Google Maps Beta... and they're doing the same with the overhauled version.

And they did not charge money for it. When you buy an iPhone with iOS7, part of what you're paying for is Apple Maps.

Google calls everything beta to excuse their shoddy piece of garbage experiments and crappy customer service when you try to complain.

iLog.Genius
Feb 23, 2014, 12:16 PM
Google calls everything beta to excuse their shoddy piece of garbage experiments and crappy customer service when you try to complain.

But again, that's why it's called a beta. Whether or not you think or feel it's a final version or not, when you read the word beta attached to something, you have to acknowledge that it's in testing which is totally appropriate, not sure how you can deemed that a negative. You're really going to seriously complain about a beta product? "Hey Google, I know product X is in beta, but this **** is so buggy! Fix your beta!"

Had a weird experience with Apple Maps. Was downtown Toronto, and was heading the direction Maps told me to only to realize that I was going the opposite direction I was supposed to be going. It kept telling me to keep going and going only to find I was moving further away from my destination. :D

Todd B.
Feb 23, 2014, 01:20 PM
But again, that's why it's called a beta. Whether or not you think or feel it's a final version or not, when you read the word beta attached to something, you have to acknowledge that it's in testing which is totally appropriate, not sure how you can deemed that a negative. You're really going to seriously complain about a beta product? "Hey Google, I know product X is in beta, but this **** is so buggy! Fix your beta!"

Had a weird experience with Apple Maps. Was downtown Toronto, and was heading the direction Maps told me to only to realize that I was going the opposite direction I was supposed to be going. It kept telling me to keep going and going only to find I was moving further away from my destination. :D

Yeah because Google slapping a beta label on something, selling it to customers, and then saying "oh, sorry, we can't provide support; you're on your own" isn't too shady.

I'm willing to bet every tech blog would be all over Apple's case if they ever did anything like that yet, because it's "sainted" Google, it's a-okay.

iLog.Genius
Feb 23, 2014, 01:32 PM
Yeah because Google slapping a beta label on something, selling it to customers, and then saying "oh, sorry, we can't provide support; you're on your own" isn't too shady.

I'm willing to bet every tech blog would be all over Apple's case if they ever did anything like that yet, because it's "sainted" Google, it's a-okay.

You're kidding right? Why would anyone get angry if Apple decided to say Apple Maps Beta? At least consumers would know, ok, Apple Maps is totally messed up here but it's a beta. You're acting like beta is wrong or something totally inappropriate. The only reason why Apple doesn't do this beta thing because they have this image that they need/want to uphold because that's how they have been operating and for the most part, they successfully executed. But the execution of Apple Maps was a total screw up. I guarantee you, if Apple came out and said they were ditching Google Maps for their own mapping application but would be in beta, it wouldn't have received the criticism it has.

But yeah, let's slay Apple for putting out a beta. God forbid they go through the software development process!

It's all about execution and setting expectations. If anybody should know that, it's Apple.

globalist
Feb 23, 2014, 01:48 PM
You're kidding right? Why would anyone get angry if Apple decided to say Apple Maps Beta? At least consumers would know, ok, Apple Maps is totally messed up here but it's a beta. You're acting like beta is wrong or something totally inappropriate. The only reason why Apple doesn't do this beta thing because they have this image that they need/want to uphold because that's how they have been operating and for the most part, they successfully executed. But the execution of Apple Maps was a total screw up. I guarantee you, if Apple came out and said they were ditching Google Maps for their own mapping application but would be in beta, it wouldn't have received the criticism it has.

But yeah, let's slay Apple for putting out a beta. God forbid they go through the software development process!

It's all about execution and setting expectations. If anybody should know that, it's Apple.

Has Siri ever officially come out of the beta? :p

iLog.Genius
Feb 23, 2014, 02:36 PM
Has Siri ever officially come out of the beta? :p

LOL Not sure...

Something like Siri, many people aren't going to gripe about. I personally don't know anyone who actually uses Siri other than the initial play around when Apple first introduced her/it. Besides, I would like to think that most people know that these voice recognition/commands aren't going to be too accurate as it's meant to only pick up key words, so if you don't use them, it's not going to work.

edddeduck
Feb 24, 2014, 02:23 AM

Apple Maps is free you are no more paying for Apple Maps than you are paying for Google's Maps.

They are both subsidised either by advertising in Googles case or through sales of software and hardware by Apple.

No, I submitted a fix for my street name via TomTom's online map share website nearly 18 months ago, but it's still wrong in Apple Maps. So, this tells me Apple's street data is at least 18 months out of date.

That tells you your specific example has not been updated for 18 months, it doesn't mean all street data hasn't been updated for 18 months. Extrapolating that no fixes have been implemented based off one issue is not a safe logical conclusion.

Edwin

janitor1999
Feb 24, 2014, 04:09 AM
I use apple maps daily, and find it fine in the area i use it in I'm in the U.K, i started off using Google maps for turn by turn navigation, but twice it to me to go up a no entry, so switched to apple maps, admitted i do need to switch to a dedicated sat nag for newer addresses but not to often, don't use sat nag as startup time is longer, can be half way up the street using apple maps before sat nav has even finished booting.

cynics
Feb 24, 2014, 11:08 AM
Apple Maps is free you are no more paying for Apple Maps than you are paying for Google's Maps.

They are both subsidised either by advertising in Googles case or through sales of software and hardware by Apple.

That tells you your specific example has not been updated for 18 months, it doesn't mean all street data hasn't been updated for 18 months. Extrapolating that no fixes have been implemented based off one issue is not a safe logical conclusion.

Edwin

Is Apple maps free? I'm honestly asking. I know it's on my iPhone, iPad and Mac, so certainly not free there.

Do they have a way to access it from the web? Or Apples site? I never really looked.

I know you can use Google maps from pretty much any device even if it's just the web version. I guess some could argue the definition of free but I'm only talking actual cash.

edddeduck
Feb 24, 2014, 11:15 AM
Is Apple maps free? I'm honestly asking. I know it's on my iPhone, iPad and Mac, so certainly not free there.

Yep it's free, you can get it for free without paying for it. Saying it isn't free because I need Apple hardware is disingenuous. You can even upgrade older Apple hardware for free to new a newer OS (iOS and OSX) with Apple Maps for no cost. So yes that is free in my book.

I guess some could argue the definition of free but I'm only talking actual cash.

No cash needs to cross hands for you to use Apple Maps for free on any Apple hardware. Claiming you have to own Apple hardware to use a free feature so that means I am paying for it is not really logical IMHO and is splitting hairs to help the "Google is free Apple you pay for" argument.

cynics
Feb 24, 2014, 12:07 PM
Yep it's free, you can get it for free without paying for it. Saying it isn't free because I need Apple hardware is disingenuous. You can even upgrade older Apple hardware for free to new a newer OS (iOS and OSX) with Apple Maps for no cost. So yes that is free in my book.

No cash needs to cross hands for you to use Apple Maps for free on any Apple hardware. Claiming you have to own Apple hardware to use a free feature so that means I am paying for it is not really logical IMHO and is splitting hairs to help the "Google is free Apple you pay for" argument.

You saying I get Apple Maps free with the purchase of a 650+ dollar phone is a little silly IMHO. As if the price of Apple software and updates isn't built into the price. It's like the pay double and get one free saying.

The clear difference is I can buy any device including the iPhone and use Google Maps. The opposite doesn't apply for a PC, Android, Windows devices etc.

The data collection is how you pay Google so that's not technically free either. But like I mentioned I'm just talking cash.

Splitting hairs, I agree with and actually I think it's a moot point to the original topic.

MozMan68
Feb 28, 2014, 06:17 PM
If Apple made you download the app instead of including it on the phone, would you still NOT consider it free?

Boredalert
Mar 27, 2014, 10:19 AM
After 90 reports to Apple my map still remains wrong. Totally infuriating plus loss of business. Hey Apple... Wake Up!!!

cynics
Mar 27, 2014, 01:34 PM
If Apple made you download the app instead of including it on the phone, would you still NOT consider it free?

Hmm? Not sure if this is directed toward me. But yes I would not consider Apple maps "free" under any circumstance.

At least not as long as the funding for Apple maps department comes from Apple sales, more specifically iOS device sales.

Where exactly do you guys think the money came from to fund Apples leap into navigation/maps came from? Anything other then the consumer of their products would be the wrong answer. Long before maps was even a thing consumers were paying for it.

mattopotamus
Mar 27, 2014, 01:41 PM
Hmm? Not sure if this is directed toward me. But yes I would not consider Apple maps "free" under any circumstance.

At least not as long as the funding for Apple maps department comes from Apple sales, more specifically iOS device sales.

Where exactly do you guys think the money came from to fund Apples leap into navigation/maps came from? Anything other then the consumer of their products would be the wrong answer. Long before maps was even a thing consumers were paying for it.

That is just silly IMO. Apple products cost the same with or without apple maps.

By your logic, no app is free then b.c we are paying apple to have the "app store" app.

cynics
Mar 27, 2014, 01:59 PM
That is just silly IMO. Apple products cost the same with or without apple maps.

By your logic, no app is free then b.c we are paying apple to have the "app store" app.

Uhh yeah. By my logic everything on the phone cost money to build and support. No duh right? It wasn't free for Apple so who did you think paid for it? Government? Charities? Money tree? If you say us as the consumer then you are agreeing with me.

I can see why people have a hard time grasping this but I use it daily in sales and service. Expenses are tacked on to the consumer all the time for future services.

MozMan68
Mar 28, 2014, 06:44 PM
So is Mavericks really free since they used to charge for their OS?

:p

benji888
Mar 28, 2014, 07:11 PM
After 90 reports to Apple my map still remains wrong. Totally infuriating plus loss of business. Hey Apple... Wake Up!!!
If by "loss of business" you mean your own business, Apple uses Yelp data for business information, including the addy, so, maybe try Yelp support.

This is why I wish Apple would drop Yelp and either buy or license Foursquare data, it's much more accurate and up to date, not to mention the app is 1000% better.

----------

You're off topic, but, yes Mavericks is free, and yes, they used to charge to upgrade your OS from whatever OS your Mac came with.

cynics
Mar 28, 2014, 08:06 PM

Being in the technical service field I'd answer no. Software/hardware designed for future updates carries that as an initial expense.

So say someone at the company I work for writes a program to control a piece of equipment. If the consumer wants it supported and updated (not bug fixes but feature add ons) then that expense is built in during the initial bill of sale.

That expense can be built in anywhere. This is what give people the illusion of getting something for free. So say a company purchases an HVAC system from the company I work for, it includes building automation to do a ton of fancy stuff be controlled from the internet blah blah. When a "free" software or hardware update comes out it's just an update that the consumer already paid us for. They just don't have to pay at that time so it would seem to be free.

Actually giving a customer something for free means you are working in the red. Businesses don't last very long if you do that. Grandparents give presents not Apple. :)

I think Mavericks is the closest thing to free Apple has ever done however it's not really free when it comes with prerequisites....

Edit : found the article I was looking for on mavericks

http://techland.time.com/2013/10/24/yes-os-x-mavericks-is-free-wait-no-it-isnt-or-is-it/

davehutch
Mar 29, 2014, 04:46 AM
For general route-finding and car navigation I find it fine (apart from the pastel colours), but for POIs I think it's still very poor

benji888
Mar 30, 2014, 10:51 AM
For general route-finding and car navigation I find it fine (apart from the pastel colours), but for POIs I think it's still very poor
I agree, the main problem with POIs is that Apple uses Yelp for POI data. I find Foursquare to be more accurate, more up-to-date, and their app is 1000x better. I wish Apple would integrate Foursquare instead of Yelp. Yelp still leads me to the middle of nowhere, when the business is 5 blocks down the street, or to a business that is closed, has been for a while.

T5BRICK
Mar 30, 2014, 11:13 AM
In the past few months, Apple maps has routed me to the wrong location 4 times. In every situation, I just fell back to Google maps and it was able to get me there.

Apple maps still needs a lot of work, even in the US; I live near Portland, Oregon.

jnpy!$4g3cwk
Apr 4, 2014, 01:49 PM
Apple Maps keeps reminding me of how detailed and up to date Google Maps is. In some ways, Apple's Maps is not that bad, if you are comparing it to that 10 year old Rand McNally paper road atlas you keep under the front seat for when your iPhone is out of range of your cell service. On the other hand, the Apple maps never seems to get the memo when some road or ramp has been closed off by a fence for major construction, or when some business moved two or three years ago. I admit that I have been surprised on numerous occasions that Google Maps knew about something pretty recent and insignificant.

One weakness that both products have is that they lack a consistent way to deal with areas that are closed off to the general public but open with permission (e.g. a military base). On the one hand, you don't want people to think they can drive through something they can't without permission. On the other hand, sometimes you do have permission.

greenapple3317
Apr 28, 2014, 09:39 PM
I travel quite a bit, iOS Maps has been so good I took Tom Tom off my iPhone. I would hate to see Apple get help from Google, last thing I want is anything google on my phone selling any information they can about me. I don't trust them one bit.

T5BRICK
Apr 29, 2014, 12:49 AM
I travel quite a bit, iOS Maps has been so good I took Tom Tom off my iPhone. I would hate to see Apple get help from Google, last thing I want is anything google on my phone selling any information they can about me. I don't trust them one bit.

I wish Apple would get help from someone, their directions are wrong about 20% of the time for me.

nj1266
Apr 29, 2014, 12:55 AM
Today I was stuck in freeway traffic and wanted to get off the freeway and use surface streets. Well Apple Maps does not allow me the option to do that. I was very upset and surprised. Google maps does, so does motion X. Why not allow such an important route option!!!!

kaielement
Apr 29, 2014, 01:07 AM
I find both google maps and apple maps have both given me wrong directions so it's a toss up and one time they both gave me same wrong directions. In the end I end up using one or the other.

edddeduck
Apr 29, 2014, 03:25 AM
I find both google maps and apple maps have both given me wrong directions so it's a toss up and one time they both gave me same wrong directions. In the end I end up using one or the other.

I have both installed just in case as I have had both give bad directions from time to time. I usually use Apple Maps but if it's somewhere away from civilisation I double check on Google maps, but that's just common sense. :)

Edwin

kaielement
Apr 29, 2014, 02:44 PM
I have both installed just in case as I have had both give bad directions from time to time. I usually use Apple Maps but if it's somewhere away from civilisation I double check on Google maps, but that's just common sense. :)

Edwin

Basically that's what I do. It's so sad that someone just can't get it right. Lol

edddeduck
Apr 30, 2014, 05:40 AM
Basically that's what I do. It's so sad that someone just can't get it right. Lol

It's a tricky problem but I do find 99% of the time both services are correct, it's only if I am looking for a strange location in a rural area when it send you up a dirt road ;)

cynics
Apr 30, 2014, 07:36 AM

Edwin

I do the same.

That's my problem with it though. I use Apple maps for its integration, Google maps for its accuracy. I wish one offered both (for me in the areas I travel).

Tom tom has always been terrible in my area. I bought a tom tom stand alone years ago and figured that's just how GPS's were. I then got a Garmin and found a world of difference especially when it's pin pointing and address.

cynics
Apr 30, 2014, 07:47 AM
Here is an example of my above post.

Google maps.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/30/qu5uhyme.jpg

Here is Apple maps.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/30/deha2ege.jpg

Things to note.

1. It's a common driveway, Google is pointing right by the house. While Apple is pointing at the wrong house. Technically that isn't even the correct drive way.

2. Google is providing traffic data where as Apple has none for that road.

3. Satellite imagine is clearer and more up to date then Apples.

I use a sat nav all day long and nearly every single time I can find a couple points of why Googles is better. There are circumstances that Google just screws it up. However I find that few and far between.

snappyfool
Apr 30, 2014, 08:22 AM
2. Google is providing traffic data where as Apple has none for that road.

Not defending Apple Maps here, just a tip which you may already know, but I think that's in Satellite mode rather than Hybrid - only Standard and Hybrid show traffic. Not to say you didn't check Standard/Hybrid, either :)

edddeduck
Apr 30, 2014, 09:14 AM
I use a sat nav all day long and nearly every single time I can find a couple points of why Googles is better. There are circumstances that Google just screws it up. However I find that few and far between.

I rarely find Google being better than Apple, I get the odd case either way but no major trend.

Edwin

Idefix
Apr 30, 2014, 09:44 AM
Here's a hilarious video from the Onion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQkZ2CV3Fb0

"Apple Promises To Fix Glitches In Map Software By Rearranging Earth's Geography"

All of a sudden, Apple Maps makes sense!

cynics
Apr 30, 2014, 10:14 AM
Not defending Apple Maps here, just a tip which you may already know, but I think that's in Satellite mode rather than Hybrid - only Standard and Hybrid show traffic. Not to say you didn't check Standard/Hybrid, either :)

You're right. However I missed two things. One is like you mentioned it was in satellite mode. Two I believe Apple maps doesn't show clear traffic, only blockages (could be wrong). When switching to standard view still nothing was shown.

That's another point however. If I have show traffic on I'd like to see if it's clear. That way I can distinguish which roads do and do not even receive traffic data. I'm really surprised google provides traffic data for that road pictured above (45-50 mph single lane lined with homes in a rural area). Looking at Apples traffic I would have assumed it was too small of a road to receive such data.

GlenK
May 1, 2014, 10:18 AM
I'm in the 40% of people that thinks Apple maps is great. Google maps doesn't even have the street I live on spelled correctly. Have written them three times in the last year and they still don't correct it.

Have found not mistakes on Apple maps in my area.

cynics
May 1, 2014, 10:36 AM
I'm in the 40% of people that thinks Apple maps is great. Google maps doesn't even have the street I live on spelled correctly. Have written them three times in the last year and they still don't correct it.

Have found not mistakes on Apple maps in my area.

Have any screen shots to contrast Google Maps vs Apple maps?

GlenK
May 1, 2014, 11:36 AM
Have any screen shots to contrast Google Maps vs Apple maps?

I could but I'm not putting a map to my house on the internet. Apple spells my street name correctly and Google maps does not. Have written them three times with no correction.

richwoodrocket
May 1, 2014, 02:14 PM
I could but I'm not putting a map to my house on the internet. Apple spells my street name correctly and Google maps does not. Have written them three times with no correction.

No one said it was your house...

iamMacPerson
May 1, 2014, 02:55 PM
I use to have Navigon (Garmin) on my iPhone 4 and it was very accurate. After getting my iPhone 5 with Apple Maps and Turn by Turn, I noticed that it was just as accurate, but vastly superior in some ways then Navigon. The one draw back is Traffic info, and for that I use Waze or Google Maps, but once I'm done with that, I go back to Apple Maps. I don't know why Apple is so lacking in traffic info, but I contribute it to them offering users to opt-in to being tracked. If everyone turned this feature on, I think their traffic data would be far more accurate.

I've also been using Apple Maps for just over a year and a half, and in that time period, I'd estimate I've used it a good 50-70 times, give or take a few. In that time period, it has misguided me twice. Once was when I was looking to find a place to eat and it said the restaurant was on the north side of the street when it was on the south side. The other time, I was looking for a repair shop and I put the address in my iPhone. Got me to the correct street, but it took me a mile and a half west of the actual address. It kept insisting I was at the correct location. I finally found the correct place (their sign was tucked away) and once I did I sent a report to Apple.