PDA

View Full Version : To applecare or not applecare (iBook): deep, small scratch on my screen

MUCKYFINGERS
Nov 28, 2005, 11:53 AM
Hey all,
Applecare fixed my logic board but now I noticed there is a small, deep scratch located on the screen. It is almost invisible but it is slightly noticeable when you look at the screen from the right angle or if the background is completely uniform (looking at the desktop background image, the default aqua one). I have a couple of questions:

A) If I sent it into Applecare, would they replace the screen if there was such a small scratch?

B) Is there a possibility that if they replaced it with another screen, seeing as how they use used/refurbished parts for repair, might I get a screen with dead pixels?

C) Since the scratch apparently happened from someone careless at applecare, if I waited till later on to get this fixed, would they somehow nix my chances of getting this fixed?

99% I can't even notice the scratch and it doesn't bother me, but I figure that still, it was a big investment that I made into my iBook and I shouldn't take this easy. But I'm sick of being without my laptop and it's such a hassle to keep sending my iBook in.

Comments, suggestions?

Will Cheyney
Nov 28, 2005, 12:31 PM
If the scratch wasn't there when you sent it to AppleCare but was apparent upon receipt, contact them and ask them what they are willing to do.

If they damaged the screen like you are saying, I don't see how they could say, "No".

MUCKYFINGERS
Nov 28, 2005, 01:45 PM
I'm going to call them up today and ask them what they are going to exactly do to fix the laptop (I already got a dispatch # for it, although they told me before after 30 days they expire automatically).

I'm thnking if they hypothetically replace the screen with a refurb/used screen, if they get a screen with dead pixels, I'll be stuck with it and they won't let me exchange that unless there's a certain amount of them. I'd rather have a screen with a small scratch in it than one with dead pixels.

I also need to ask them if they would let me send it in later on for repair instead of now . . . right now finals are coming up and I like being able to have my laptop with me at school. I'm afraid if I send it in later, they might try to argue that the scratch is from normal wear and tear, instead of them being at fault for handling it carelessly.

BUT nonetheless it is such a small, almost invisible scratch . . . and it doesn't bother me 99% of the time. It's just a matter of inconvienence having to send it in to get the screen fixed, and having to worry for one rason or another having my data lost.

buryyourbrideau
Nov 28, 2005, 01:47 PM
Well you kinda just answered your own question. Hehe

If its not an inconvience and you need your iBook for school, then why even bother sending it in if it does not bother you that much :confused:

MUCKYFINGERS
Nov 28, 2005, 01:48 PM
Well you kinda just answered your own question. Hehe

If its not an inconvience and you need your iBook for school, then why even bother sending it in if it does not bother you that much :confused:

'cause I shelled out $1200 for that iBook and in a matter of principle, it should be as perfect as can be.

buryyourbrideau
Nov 28, 2005, 01:53 PM
'cause I shelled out $1200 for that iBook and in a matter of principle, it should be as perfect as can be.

Yea I completely understand, however you just said that it does not really inconvience you and you need your iBook for the time being so I guess its not really worth it to send it in.

Unless you would really want to wait until your finals are over and then pay for another Apple dispatch. Which I really wouldnt recommend.

puckhead193
Nov 28, 2005, 01:55 PM
i just got my powerbook from damage caused by my original repair, see my thread about the lightsabor noise. I think what happens when they send it out under warrenty the company who repairs it just repairs everything they can possible do for that problem cause apple pays them back for the parts. When i sent my powerbook in, they replaced that latch when their was nothing wrong with it. Just have it sent out and it will more then likely be fixed, cause the company who repairs gets paid by apple....
This is what i think i may be wrong but from my one experience it looks plausible

If you can live without the computer send it in, the worst thing that can happen is that they won't fix it. It also depends on the genius you talk to. I was at the store and some girl spilled coke on her computer and they took it in for repairs (sent it out).

MUCKYFINGERS
Nov 28, 2005, 01:57 PM
Yea I completely understand, however you just said that it does not really inconvience you and you need your iBook for the time being so I guess its not really worth it to send it in.

Unless you would really want to wait until your finals are over and then pay for another Apple dispatch. Which I really wouldnt recommend.

i'm still under applecare so it's free

buryyourbrideau
Nov 28, 2005, 01:58 PM
i'm still under applecare so it's free

Well then I guess it would be worth it to send it out after you NEED it for finals.