PDA

View Full Version : m4v

wicked23
Sep 20, 2013, 07:08 AM
I have a mac mini running my home theater. I am thinking about converting all my movies to m4v only so that I can easily transfer them to ipad and iphone. What are the pros and cons to doing that? Would I be giving up much on the quality end? Is there a faster way to convert them than using Handbrake? Thanks!

ekrem13
Sep 20, 2013, 07:12 AM
iflicks or ivi do their job well, considering both time efficiency and quality. subler is cool too.

mic j
Sep 20, 2013, 08:30 AM
I have a mac mini running my home theater. I am thinking about converting all my movies to m4v only so that I can easily transfer them to ipad and iphone. What are the pros and cons to doing that? Would I be giving up much on the quality end? Is there a faster way to convert them than using Handbrake? Thanks!
You don't mention whether your movies are dvd, BR or both. If they are dvd's you will have to transcode and HB is the best at that. If they are BR's you have 2 options (for most BRs), change the container only (full file size) or transcode (compressed). Again I think HB is best in class for transcoding. Since you want these files for use on iPad/iphone, it seems like compression would be a requirement. I assume you would keep your original (full size) files for playing off you mini and you will be creating a separate set of highly compressed files to be used on your iPad/iPhone. Not sure which works better the iPhone or iPad preset. You may have to try transcoding a chapter using both and check that you are satisfied with the output.