PDA

View Full Version : iOS 7 -- declining phone call

caesarp
Sep 20, 2013, 08:06 AM
So I notice that when the phone is locked, there is no decline button when a call comes in. You can only choose to:

1. answer

2. remind yourself in an hour

3. send message to caller

(when your phone is not locked when the call comes in, you get an option to decline call).

So if I don't want to send myself a reminder, how do I immediately decline the call when a call comes in while the phone is locked. Is there a way to do that, that I am missing? Some set up option or something?

Tyler23
Sep 20, 2013, 08:11 AM
So I notice that when the phone is locked, there is no decline button when a call comes in. You can only choose to:

1. answer

2. remind yourself in an hour

3. send message to caller

(when your phone is not locked when the call comes in, you get an option to decline call).

So if I don't want to send myself a reminder, how do I immediately decline the call when a call comes in while the phone is locked. Is there a way to do that, that I am missing? Some set up option or something?

Press the Power button twice. Once silences it, twice declines it.

John T
Sep 20, 2013, 06:17 PM
Press the Power button twice. Once silences it, twice declines it.

Exactly! As it has always been - since the year dot!

C DM
Sep 20, 2013, 06:32 PM
Too bad they got rid of that option when the phone is locked. And too bad they made the remind and message buttons just be plainly accessible when the phone is locked, something that goes against the whole concept of how things function on the lock screen. All are steps backward without any reason (aside from maybe purely aesthetical ones, which is a really poor approach to actual usability).

caesarp
Sep 20, 2013, 07:25 PM
Exactly! As it has always been - since the year dot!

I don't get it. What is the reason for no decline button when locked. But decline when unlocked?

C DM
Sep 20, 2013, 07:28 PM
I don't get it. What is the reason for no decline button when locked. But decline when unlocked?I guess with the current design they didn't want that to be available like the remind and message buttons where you can accidentally dismiss the call in your pocket/purse or while taking the phone out. When the phone is unlocked it's generally in use, so there's less of an accidental use of something. That said, if they kept the slider button to reveal additional choices (like they had in iOS 6) that would cover it.

KeanosMagicHat
Sep 20, 2013, 07:58 PM
I don't get it. What is the reason for no decline button when locked. But decline when unlocked?

It's yet another pointless removal of a useful feature by iOS 7.

t3chz0id
Apr 3, 2014, 11:25 AM
(edit) I just realized someone above said this already, but I'll leave it because I personally appreciate this change.

This actually makes sense to me.

At first, I was just as frustrated as the rest of you. However, I just remembered that with my last phone (HTC One), I was constantly accidentally declining calls while pulling my phone out of my pocket. This change in iOS eliminates the problem, but still allows me to decline the calls that I want to with the aforementioned method.

So...thanks, Apple! :cool:

C DM
Apr 3, 2014, 11:41 AM
(edit) I just realized someone above said this already, but I'll leave it because I personally appreciate this change.

This actually makes sense to me.

At first, I was just as frustrated as the rest of you. However, I just remembered that with my last phone (HTC One), I was constantly accidentally declining calls while pulling my phone out of my pocket. This change in iOS eliminates the problem, but still allows me to decline the calls that I want to with the aforementioned method.

So...thanks, Apple! :cool:In iOS 6 when Apple made decline available on the lock screen it was behind a pull up menu so it was fairly hard to activate it accidentally anyway, while the feature was still available if you wanted to use it.

t3chz0id
Apr 3, 2014, 11:44 AM
In iOS 6 when Apple made decline available on the lock screen it was behind a pull up menu so it was fairly hard to activate it accidentally anyway, while the feature was still available if you wanted to use it.

I see your point. Personally, I usually hit the sleep/wake button anyway to silence the ring/vibration, so one more tap to dismiss just works for me.

BillyMatt87
Apr 3, 2014, 02:27 PM
I would like apple to just get rid of "slide to answer" and just provide the same incoming call options when the phone is locked just as it is when it's unlocked.

C DM
Apr 3, 2014, 02:47 PM
I would like apple to just get rid of "slide to answer" and just provide the same incoming call options when the phone is locked just as it is when it's unlocked.Talk about a bunch of accidental declines or acceptances of calls then.

BillyMatt87
Apr 3, 2014, 07:25 PM
Talk about a bunch of accidental declines or acceptances of calls then.
I would just like some consistency and I hate that ios 7 removed a useful feature from 6.

I honestly don't see the need for slide to answer and how would it be accidental?

C DM
Apr 3, 2014, 07:46 PM
I would just like some consistency and I hate that ios 7 removed a useful feature from 6.

I honestly don't see the need for slide to answer and how would it be accidental?Things on the lock screen should require more than a simple tap to be activated, that's why pretty much everything there requires some sort of movement, be it to unlock, to go to a notification, to answer a call, etc. It's not really about consistency with how it works when it's unlocked, it's about how a locked phone should behave and pretty much everything requiring some deliberate action (like a slide) to activate it when the phone is locked.

As far as removing a convenient feature, I agree, it would have been nice to have it. It did only show up for one iOS version though, so not really something that was there for that long for so many people to truly rely on it, although that doesn't mean it's not useful. Still, even in iOS 6 it still required a movement action to even show up first.

d123
Apr 4, 2014, 06:28 PM

I honestly don't see the need for slide to answer and how would it be accidental?

If the phone is in your pocket and rings, taking it out your pocket could answer your call if it was a simple push button to answer, slide to answer can't be done all that easily by accident.

Odds are, if the phone is unlocked it's in your hand or on the desk, so a single answer button is more convenient.

It's just a bit of common sense in the planning ;).