PDA

View Full Version : Desktop Monitors

Surreal
Nov 28, 2005, 01:57 PM
I have looked at the Roland micro monitors (DM10 and 20 i think) and the studiopro 4s

i listened to the studiopro 3's and i don't care for how it represents bass. (distorted pretty quickly)

i am not going to be listening at high levels. until now i've only worked with headphones and never above 4 out of 10 (unless the source is really low).

since i have a small small room, these would end up as my general use speakers too. (dvds etc) i know that there is a sweet spot to consider, that doesnt bother me when i am not working on mixing or tracking and such. but here is the real kicker, i do not want to spend more than 250 on the pair as that would mean not buying them now

3rdpath
Nov 28, 2005, 02:19 PM
i'd go with the small monitors from m-audio. depending on what type of discount you can wrangle, you might be able to get the 2.1 system or the bx5's for pretty close to your budget.

i've just never liked the rolands, they seem to crap out at a very low volume.

DDarkfire
Nov 28, 2005, 05:09 PM
A beautiful pair of active monitors are the Rokit RP5's. I have had the chance to use those in the past and they have a beautiful transparent-but-warm sound. They are trustworthy from extremely low to high SPL, and they have excellent sonic architecture. The catch is that a pair would cost around 300 instead of the 250... But they are certainly worth it.
http://www.jam.se/images/KRKRokitRP5.jpg

FFTT
Dec 7, 2005, 10:13 AM
I tried every powered nearfield they had at Guitar Center Pro audio
and it was no contest.

The best two in my opinion were the Mackie HR824's for $629.99 each
followed unbelievable close my the M-Audio BX8a for $499.99 each
THe BX5a's were also excellent for $299.99 each.

The difference was that these near fields sounded far more transparent
without coloring the sound.