PDA

View Full Version : ibook radeon 9550 drivers?

mikey12784
Nov 28, 2005, 02:00 PM
do they exist? trying to make wow a bit more playable when i dont have my PC with me, right now its working, but fairly slow, just wondering if there is an update to the drivers for this ibook, as im sure the ones that are on it are very old. anybody know where i would go about getting some? thanks ;)

Daedalus256
Nov 28, 2005, 03:07 PM
There aren't really drivers for macs. You can download ATI Displays for your ibook and play around with the settings there. You can find that on ATI's site.

mikey12784
Nov 28, 2005, 03:10 PM
how can there be no drivers? the code is never updated or optimized? i dont understand how that coudl work, but hey, if thats they way it is, thats the way it is i guess (glad im still with PC's for gaming)

Dreadnought
Nov 28, 2005, 03:10 PM
There is also an app called AtiAccelerator II which let's you overclock any Ati graphics card. Mind you, push your card too far and it could fry!

mikey12784
Nov 28, 2005, 03:12 PM
o no, im not overclocking this thing, it gets way the feek too hot to start with (i think its the HDD, but still) so i was hoping for some optimized coding to help out.

MacsRgr8
Nov 28, 2005, 03:20 PM
how can there be no drivers? the code is never updated or optimized? i dont understand how that coudl work, but hey, if thats they way it is, thats the way it is i guess (glad im still with PC's for gaming)

There are drivers, but they are built in to the OS. These drivers get updated when the OS gets an update.
But fortunately ATi delivers also its own drivers & utilities:
ATi Displays (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/21573)
Also there is a software overclocking ATi util:
ATIccellerator II (http://mapage.noos.fr/campahunta/index.html)

Hope you get some results with these.

MacsRgr8
Nov 28, 2005, 03:22 PM
o no, im not overclocking this thing, it gets way the feek too hot to start with

eh.... ok.
I was a bit late in my reply, then :D

Patmian212
Nov 28, 2005, 03:24 PM
o no, im not overclocking this thing, it gets way the feek too hot to start with (i think its the HDD, but still) so i was hoping for some optimized coding to help out.
The drivers are usually included in the automatic software updates your mac does. They are included in the OS updates such as 10.4, 10.4.1, 10.4.2 ETC... There is new and optimized code but it updates automatically, also the biggest hog for WoW is antialiasing and terrain distance, turn those 2 completley off and it should run fine, I get 14-25 FPS on the ibook in my sig and its playable but if your one of those dude who need 30FPS+ then you can forget about using your ibook.

Damn, MacsRgr8 beat me too it, oh well ;)

mikey12784
Nov 29, 2005, 11:03 AM
its playable, but i am used to my fx 57 with 2 gigs of ram and 7800GTX. thanks for throwin the ati utilities my way also :)