Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrweirdo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2005
Just out of curiosity I was wondering it is posible to overclock the 12" ibook 1.33ghz G4 with a bus speed of 133mhz to a bus speed of 142mhz like the 14" module?

StealthRider

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2002
Here and there!
I think you'd have to overclock the processor as well, as it appears the iBook chipset runs on a 10x multiplier bus...I wouldn't want to throw that off...but i usually don't overclock my notebooks so I'm not the best person around to reply.

DanielNTX

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2005
mrweirdo said:
Just out of curiosity I was wondering it is posible to overclock the 12" ibook 1.33ghz G4 with a bus speed of 133mhz to a bus speed of 142mhz like the 14" module?

It's possible, but I haven't found the right resistors to work with yet.

mrweirdo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2005
the only reason I ask is because i noticed Apple cut the FSB down on 12" module it apears like they are basicly punishing those that want a more portable laptop by going with a smaller screen. I was thinking mayby it would be posible through firmware/software to up that FSB slightly on the mac like just about every pc can do these days though bios.

mikey12784

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2005
i would love to know if this is possible, if it turns out im to keep my ibook for a long time (the new one, 1.33Ghz) id love to give it a bit of a speed bump, as right now im kinda disappointed with its speed. (im a native windows user/gamer, and this thing slows down when browsing the internet, i mean come ON)

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
You would probably have to set a couple of jumpers on the motherboard instead of using software. Apple probably tuned it down because of heat problems. Also, you can overclock your videocard if it is an Ati through software. It's called Ati Accelerator II, use at your own risk! I have pushed the Ati graphic cards of my iBook and G5 both 20%.

DanielNTX

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2005
There are no jumpers on the mainboard, but rather 0-ohm resistors which are very small. You have to identify the right set of resistors though which is pretty tough with out documentation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.