PDA

View Full Version : Difference between iCloud sync and iCloud backup

petdebel
Sep 20, 2013, 01:05 PM
If you navigate to Settings -> iCloud you can activate sync for different standard apps like E-mail, contacts, calendars, reminders etc. In addition you can activate the iCloud backup function. My first question is; will these apps and their content be included in the iCloud backup?

I'm asking the question because I want to disable synching of my reminders (my reminders on my iPhone should not appear on any other device), but I still want to have my reminders backed up. Are the reminders included in the iCloud backup?
Thanks and regards,
Peter

petdebel
Sep 20, 2013, 03:27 PM
Any help on this question is appreciated.

Tankmaze
Sep 20, 2013, 03:33 PM
I'm asking the question because I want to disable synching of my reminders (my reminders on my iPhone should not appear on any other device), but I still want to have my reminders backed up. Are the reminders included in the iCloud backup?
Thanks and regards,
Peter

Short answer : Yes.
You can disable reminders in other device that's using the same apple id,
And when you use iCloud backup, it will backup the whole thing.

Armen
Sep 20, 2013, 03:35 PM
http://support.apple.com/kb/PH12519?viewlocale=en_US

petdebel
Sep 20, 2013, 03:48 PM
Ok, so if I enable synching of reminders in iCloud they are not included in the iCloud backup. And if I disable synching of reminders in iCloud they ARE included in the backup. Is that correctly understood?

petdebel
Sep 20, 2013, 11:48 PM
Anyone?

petdebel
Sep 21, 2013, 06:19 AM
Anyone to confirm if my statement is right or wrong?

petdebel
Sep 21, 2013, 12:14 PM
Nobody?

Defender2010
Sep 21, 2013, 01:19 PM
If you navigate to Settings -> iCloud you can activate sync for different standard apps like E-mail, contacts, calendars, reminders etc. In addition you can activate the iCloud backup function. My first question is; will these apps and their content be included in the iCloud backup?

Thanks and regards,
Peter

Ok Peter, let me try to explain in steps...

1. Email, Contacts, Reminders, Calendars, Safari, Notes and Passbook all automatically synced (and therefore saved) by iCloud and are shown on any devices with that iCloud account on them if all the above are turned on - This is done automatically, and each and every change you might make to any of them is almost immediately send to the cloud and stored -and shared to other devices...eg. Contacts from an iPhone appearing on an iPad.

2. If you don't want (in your case - Reminders) to see info from another device, you can turn it off in iCloud settings and the Reminders from another device/devices will not show up on that device, but remember, any Reminders (etc) you make on that device which has Reminders turned off will not show up on a different device via iCloud.

3. iCloud auto syncs all the above apps without you having to do anything.

4. An iCloud backup saves info from other Apps (eg.game progress or other info), Settings, Home screen layout, Messages, Camera Roll, documents etc...this too can/should be automatic when the device is plugged in and on Wifi. This backup is separate for each device you own. You can also initiate a backup manually in the iCloud Backup part of settings on a device.

So, if you bought a new device (lets say an iPod Touch) and set it up as new, but signed in with the iCloud account from your iPhone - all of the items mentioned in point 1. above would appear on the iPod as they are really the core apps for iCloud - keeping mail and notes etc synced across multiple devices. If you turn reminders off after the sign in - in settings, the reminders that you have on your iPhone can be kept or deleted - from that device only! It just stops the iPod pulling the info down for Reminders that is in the cloud.

umm,,,hope that helps! A lot of devices and reminder talk. lol

bobr1952
Sep 21, 2013, 01:27 PM
Ok, so if I enable synching of reminders in iCloud they are not included in the iCloud backup. And if I disable synching of reminders in iCloud they ARE included in the backup. Is that correctly understood?

Disabling synching of reminders (or anything else) does not prevent the items from being backed up with iCloud backups--they will be included in the backup.

Defender2010
Sep 22, 2013, 04:36 AM
Thanks OP- you are welcome.

petdebel
Sep 22, 2013, 04:53 AM
Thanks for the answers. So I guess the conclusion is, no matter if I choose to sync the reminders or not, they will be in iCloud, either synched - or backed up as part of the iCloud backup.

Zcott
Sep 22, 2013, 04:55 AM
Are you using reminders for nuclear launch codes or something?

petdebel
Sep 22, 2013, 05:43 AM
No not really, I just want to make sure they are backed up, even if I disable the synch function.