PDA

View Full Version : Not joking - How long will it take for Galaxy to adopt fingerprint sensor?

Kendo
Sep 20, 2013, 02:00 PM
Will we see it in their Galaxy S 5 and it will be called S Touch?

I know Android has fingerprint readers but this is solely via a software touch screen program and not a hardware sensor.

yanki01
Sep 20, 2013, 02:01 PM
Im sure for the s5 or whatever number is next?

spblat
Sep 20, 2013, 02:04 PM
It's not just *a* fingerprint sensor, but:

An accurate sensor
That's easy to register
That works quickly
And doesn't fail to recognize the proper user
And doesn't admit the wrong user
And properly safeguards the user's biometric data

APhillyApple
Sep 20, 2013, 02:09 PM
Considering that Samsung is trying its hardest to be an Apple clone and copycats most of its tech, I almost certain its next flagship will have along with all its other tons of phones it produces.

JH-
Sep 20, 2013, 02:26 PM
I could be wrong but I think one of the limitations are the apis available within android. One of the benefits of apple owning their own software and hardware is they can roll things like this out relatively quickly and can change hardware with software. That was the biggest issue with the atrix. The niche functionality of the product.

TheRealCBONE
Sep 20, 2013, 02:57 PM
I could be wrong but I think one of the limitations are the apis available within android. One of the benefits of apple owning their own software and hardware is they can roll things like this out relatively quickly and can change hardware with software. That was the biggest issue with the atrix. The niche functionality of the product.

This. Until the APIs are released AND picked up by developers, it's a niche gimmick. Apple isn't going to open theirs up for transactions where they wouldn't get a cut, because they could be cut out of the payment loop entirely in that scenario. Google would for the info they could sell access to and make it free.

Anyway: as we speak, security nerds are tearing that thing to hell and back to find some insecurity. Even stupid ones. It could end up dead in the water any day now. Doubly so once a jailbreak is rumored. Any fix would have to wait for apple to release a new version of iOS7.

appleisking
Sep 20, 2013, 02:57 PM

Couldn't they implement it into touchwiz?

Donvald
Sep 20, 2013, 02:58 PM
Of course there would no restriction of Samsung (if they wished) to introduce a fingerprint sensor as a feature of their skin.

As for whether they wanted to introduce it, it would depend upon the market; whether people appeared to like it or not and whether it was a popular feature.

People need to adopt a less juvenile way of looking at things; a good manufacturer is one that responds to the wants of the market, by ignoring things that customers have expressed they do not want and adopting those that they do. There is nothing wrong with implementing popular features, indeed, to ignore them in such a competitive market would be foolish. Apple with their iOS7 have clearly adopted Android features that are popular which, whilst may be 'copying' deliver what customers want. Thats good business practice.

MRSucks
Sep 20, 2013, 03:03 PM
They will implement it to various sizes. A 10 inch S5 will be released next month. Not all fingers have the same sizes. They will have one which will scan your entire hand.

/s

JH-
Sep 20, 2013, 03:17 PM

I assume they could but it would take a massive effort. What the need is google to release an api system side.

Technarchy
Sep 20, 2013, 03:19 PM

Like S-Voice and its aspirations of being a Siri Alternative?

Based upon that experience alone it would probably suck.

identity
Sep 20, 2013, 03:51 PM

Like Maps being and it's inspiration of Google Maps?

Keep flaming fanboy.

appleisking
Sep 20, 2013, 04:07 PM

Keep flaming fanboy.

Which still doesn't refute the actual notion that s-voice does indeed suck as do many of the features of touch-wiz, and why integrating it into that software is of questionable prudence. Why everyone has to immediately get on the defensive like you just did is beyond me.

----------

Hey not saying it would be done well just it's a viable alternative for samsung even without android api.

Donvald
Sep 20, 2013, 04:28 PM

A very myopic way of looking at things. Why single out S-Voice, when there are various other features taken from other devices on both Apple and Samsung implemented that do not originate with either? To suggest S-Voice aspires to be Siri is the same as Apple being accused of aspiring to simulate the first touch screen device, the first colour screen mobile device, the first capacitive screened device etc etc. The claim of aspiration then, is in your own mind.

Whether it 'sucks' or not is decided on the user experience and so far, Samsung's Touchwiz has and continues to prove popular with the wider public, since manufacturer's skins are often the main differentiator between Android devices.

adder7712
Sep 20, 2013, 04:52 PM
Considering that Samsung is trying its hardest to be an Apple clone and copycats most of its tech, I almost certain its next flagship will have along with all its other tons of phones it produces.

How did Motorola copy Apple with the Atrix that came out two years ago?

Technarchy
Sep 20, 2013, 04:57 PM
Hey not saying it would be done well just it's a viable alternative for samsung even without android api.

I have my doubts. Touchwiz is my favorite android skin, but my GS4 experience has made it clear that Samsung's software savvy lags by miles behind their hardware prowess.

Sure Samsung can add the feature, but the execution is what matters.

Jessica Lares
Sep 20, 2013, 06:35 PM
Do you guys even use S-Voice still?

Donvald
Sep 20, 2013, 06:44 PM

I don't use it, don't use Siri either. Doesn't feel natural for me to speak to a phone. Maybe its a generational thing as I think talking to electronic devices will be the norm in a few years time and no-one will think anything of it. But for me, I don't trust voice activated stuff so I babysit them to see if they understood what I said, which defeats the purpose of them in the first place.

Dontazemebro
Sep 20, 2013, 08:23 PM
No s voice, no Google now and no siri. They're all just battery drainers and gimmicks.

Technarchy
Sep 20, 2013, 08:30 PM

I tried the first week I got my S4 and it was so horrible that now I just use Google Now, but even that, it is no Siri Substitute and I used Siri daily. Not having Siri is a pain point.

Vegastouch
Sep 20, 2013, 10:04 PM
Dont care about a fingerprint reader. Not like it is new. Microsoft used it long ago.

----------

No s voice, no Google now and no siri. They're all just battery drainers and gimmicks.

I disabled S Voice long ago because it sucked. I dont know if it is better or not but Google Now doesnt drain my battery that much and it is a great "gimmick" Does a lot of things without asking it to. I never had Siri but ive heard many more complaints about it than not.

KentuckyHouse
Sep 20, 2013, 10:54 PM

Don't feed him, guys. Trust me...don't do it.

daveathall
Sep 21, 2013, 01:07 AM
TBH, I dont really need a fingerprint sensor and it is not something I will miss. I didn't use Siri and don't use S voice.

Savor
Sep 21, 2013, 01:55 AM
I say Samsung will adopt a fingerprint sensor and 64-bit faster than Apple can adopt an IR blaster, FULL HD, stylus pen, or 4K video recording.

For every NEW things that works correctly from Apple, they still have alot of areas they are catching up to.

I'm still waiting for the day the fingerprint sensor is on the SCREEN itself and the phone wakes up by gestures. I like that the Nokia N9 and BB10 phones can wake up without any mechanical button. Eliminates having to press the power button or home button all the time.

Android has a bigger problem because it lacks a home button. I had to use No Lock to wake up my Nexus on Gingerbead with volume buttons. I use Motion Actions app because my HTC One is on Jelly Bean and cant wake up with volume buttons. Saves the wear and tear of the power button.

Oohara
Sep 21, 2013, 08:11 AM
Of course there would no restriction of Samsung (if they wished) to introduce a fingerprint sensor as a feature of their skin.

As for whether they wanted to introduce it, it would depend upon the market; whether people appeared to like it or not and whether it was a popular feature.

People need to adopt a less juvenile way of looking at things; a good manufacturer is one that responds to the wants of the market, by ignoring things that customers have expressed they do not want and adopting those that they do. There is nothing wrong with implementing popular features, indeed, to ignore them in such a competitive market would be foolish. Apple with their iOS7 have clearly adopted Android features that are popular which, whilst may be 'copying' deliver what customers want. Thats good business practice.

This post should be made sticky. Discussing who "copied" who is completely pointless, it's really only about feeding fanboy ego.

As for Samsung putting fingerprint readers on their Galaxy devices, I'm not so sure they'll feel they need to. It may be a valuable comfort for some but most people probly won't miss it very much. Not to the point where the feature would be a primary deciding factor in their choice of device.

For me personally it really isn't. What sometimes makes me feel a slight urge for an Apple mobile device is their build quality/visual appeal, and the consistency/non-glitchiness of iOS and its ecosystem. But the fingerprint reader? Not having one of my future Note 3 just really doesn't bother me at all.

nick_elt
Sep 21, 2013, 08:14 AM

Have u used a samsung phone lately?? Obviously not.

Sodner
Sep 21, 2013, 08:16 AM
Considering 1. Apple bought the company that had the technology and 2. Implemented it to perfection. I think it will take a long time for Samsung to copy this one off Apple.

APhillyApple
Sep 21, 2013, 08:24 AM
How did Motorola copy Apple with the Atrix that came out two years ago?

Are we talking about Samsung or Motorola?

----------

Have u used a samsung phone lately?? Obviously not.

You are right I have not used a Samsung phone, however it doesnt take me using one to know that Samsung likes to copy Apple. No reason to get testy, they are just phones, not a lifes dedication.

TheRealCBONE
Sep 21, 2013, 10:49 AM
Considering 1. Apple bought the company that had the technology and 2. Implemented it to perfection. I think it will take a long time for Samsung to copy this one off Apple.

Perfection? Calm it down. Until there's a real world value and market for it outside of unlocking your phone and buying crap on iTunes, why would anyone else bother?

adder7712
Sep 21, 2013, 11:33 AM
You are right I have not used a Samsung phone, however it doesnt take me using one to know that Samsung likes to copy Apple. No reason to get testy, they are just phones, not a lifes dedication. Apparently you care too much. Also, some people would now ignore you for that very line.

As for that Motorola comment, the model I specified (the original Atrix) has a fingerprint sensor. And I think an older LG phone had one too.

Michael Goff
Sep 21, 2013, 11:43 AM
Are we talking about Samsung or Motorola?

----------

You are right I have not used a Samsung phone, however it doesnt take me using one to know that Samsung likes to copy Apple. No reason to get testy, they are just phones, not a lifes dedication.

So you don't really know, you're just guessing based on "common knowledge".

Got it.

APhillyApple
Sep 21, 2013, 12:23 PM
So you don't really know, you're just guessing based on "common knowledge".

Got it.

Not exactly guessing, just going from different tech articles that seem to tell that tale. ohh well I guess not really that serious.

Vetvito
Sep 21, 2013, 12:23 PM

Very wrong. Android is wide open. If something is not there, you just write it or fork it and make your own.

NASA even made there own version of Android.

APhillyApple
Sep 21, 2013, 12:27 PM
Apparently you care too much. Also, some people would now ignore you for that very line.

As for that Motorola comment, the model I specified (the original Atrix) has a fingerprint sensor. And I think an older LG phone had one too.

You dont know me well enough, I am not sure I care if people ignore me, i dont require likes, thumbs up, and positive quote reinforcement for my personal validation.

We are all here merely sharing our opinion, nothing more. When I turn off this MacBook I wont give this thread a second thought. We are all just faceless internet entities that come here to spout off, simply.

Switchback666
Sep 21, 2013, 12:32 PM
You dont know me well enough, I am not sure I care if people ignore me, i dont require likes, thumbs up, and positive quote reinforcement for my personal validation.

We are all here merely sharing our opinion, nothing more. When I turn off this MacBook I wont give this thread a second thought. We are all just faceless internet entities that come here to spout off, simply.

Sure buddy :rolleyes:

Michael Goff
Sep 21, 2013, 12:58 PM
Not exactly guessing, just going from different tech articles that seem to tell that tale. ohh well I guess not really that serious.

You do realize most tech articles these days are blogs, which are opinion pieces, right?

Carlanga
Sep 21, 2013, 01:03 PM

Keep flaming fanboy.

lol, I think you are the fanboy...

----

TS, if they can get their hands on some tech that works similarly to the one apple bought you might see something, but afaik there isn't one out there to buy as good as the one apple got. Android makers were worrying about bigger screen sizes and didn't even see it/think until too late when apple bought the tech.

onthecouchagain
Sep 21, 2013, 01:19 PM
Most Android flagship phones don't have physical home keys -- the only one is really Samsung, right?

If fingerprint does take off, it'll be interesting to see how they implement it. Will it be like the long rumored fingerprint sensor on the HTC One Max?

http://cdn.pocketnow.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Screen-Shot-2013-09-16-at-10.58.15-AM.png

http://cdn.pocketnow.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/one-max-scanner.jpg

I'm not sure. Or will it be something made on the software side, where you can place your finger anywhere on the screen and it'll read it?

I think HTC should've made the blank HTC logo on the front the home and/or fingerprint scanner.

Savor
Sep 22, 2013, 03:01 AM
Every OEM including Apple borrows or adopts ideas from others.

LG was the first at capacitive, dual core, quad core with LTE, and even 120fps slow motion of 2007's LG Viewty! LG tends to be the guinea pig of tech until Samsung and HTC refine the technology.

Samsung Galaxy Note wasnt the first phone at 5 inches. It was the Dell Streak which was a commercial flop the year prior. But they created interest in phablet market.

Android borrowed ideas from iOS and even Windows Mobile and Symbian. But iOS also borrowed ideas from the Palm Treo and iOS7 has borrowed and adopted many ideas from Android, Windows Phone, and webOS.

adder7712
Sep 22, 2013, 08:15 AM
Most Android flagship phones don't have physical home keys -- the only one is really Samsung, right?

If fingerprint does take off, it'll be interesting to see how they implement it. Will it be like the long rumored fingerprint sensor on the HTC One Max?

Image (http://cdn.pocketnow.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Screen-Shot-2013-09-16-at-10.58.15-AM.png)

Image (http://cdn.pocketnow.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/one-max-scanner.jpg)

I'm not sure. Or will it be something made on the software side, where you can place your finger anywhere on the screen and it'll read it?

I think HTC should've made the blank HTC logo on the front the home and/or fingerprint scanner.

I think a Chinese site confirmed that is indeed the fingerprint sensor. They tested it and said it was quite accurate.

turtle777
Sep 22, 2013, 09:04 AM
Perfection? Calm it down. Until there's a real world value and market for it outside of unlocking your phone and buying crap on iTunes, why would anyone else bother?

What is this magical "real world value" ?

Unlocking is what I do *all* the time.
There is no "real world" activity that I do more often.

So, suit yourself. For most people, unlocking with fingerprints is all they will want and need.

-t

----------

If that was to be as safe as Apple's (i.e., not being fooled by lifted fingerprints), it would be truly a feat. If Samsung could pull that off, my hat's off to them.
Alas, that would require true R&D, and lots of it.

-t

onthecouchagain
Sep 22, 2013, 09:33 AM
My understanding is that the Touch ID is strictly only for unlocking the phone and making iTunes purchases. There are times where you still have to input passwords, like when logging into iTunes Radio and a few other things.

That's what I read.

It should be consistent all throughout and be a full on password replacement. Maybe down the line it will.

----------

Every OEM including Apple borrows or adopts ideas from others.

LG was the first at capacitive, dual core, quad core with LTE, and even 120fps slow motion of 2007's LG Viewty! LG tends to be the guinea pig of tech until Samsung and HTC refine the technology.

Samsung Galaxy Note wasnt the first phone at 5 inches. It was the Dell Streak which was a commercial flop the year prior. But they created interest in phablet market.

Android borrowed ideas from iOS and even Windows Mobile and Symbian. But iOS also borrowed ideas from the Palm Treo and iOS7 has borrowed and adopted many ideas from Android, Windows Phone, and webOS.

Well said. Most people understand this. Few don't, usually on the Apple side, where there are fervent fans that are convinced everyone copies Apple and Apple invents everything. And when it's so blatantly obvious they didn't invent something, then Apple is only "justifiably adopting the trends" and/or "they're the first to get it right."

Both of these can be true, but it should be true in every direction. As you mentioned, a great example is the Note series learning from the Dell Streak.

Tsuchiya
Sep 22, 2013, 11:12 AM
I'm not sure if Samsung will put it in the next Galaxy flagship, but looking at their extensive and somewhat muddled range I wouldn't be surprised if they put it in one of their lesser phones to test the response.

You know this round their first priority with the S5 will be a 64-bit processor and better materials though.

Vegastouch
Sep 22, 2013, 11:32 AM
There are apps if you want to use a fingerprint unlock. This is not something new and cutting edge. Its old tech already

MRSucks
Sep 22, 2013, 11:36 AM
Your face is not good enough? :D

Faux Carnival
Sep 22, 2013, 02:13 PM
I ain't sharing my fingerprint with Apple or any other tech company for that matter.

onthecouchagain
Sep 22, 2013, 04:58 PM
Your face is not good enough? :D

It's a shame that didn't take off. If and when I get the Nexus 5, might give it another go. It was much improved, I heard.

EDIT: I forget I have it on my Nexus 7!

It's actually pretty impressive. It's been improved so that you can re-capture your face in different settings so it can scan it (for example you can do one with and then another without glasses). It's actually pretty seamless. Unlocks in a second and requires no real effort (like punching in a pin). Going to keep it on and see how it goes...

EDIT 2: Just tried it under extremely low light (lights in the room off, just the monitor reflecting off my face -- very dim) and it worked! No delay whatsoever.

I'm mightily impressed. The first time I used it on the Nexus 4 it was gimmicky, but this is now a viable unlocking option.

EDIT 3: Well duh, any 4.1+ phone will have face unlock, including my HTC One. I completely forgot about this. Going to use it on my One, too, for the next few days. See how it goes.

It's actually alarmingly fast. It feels as if it's not really taking the time to read my face at all, yet when you put someone else's face to it, it definitely fails to unlock. Very impressive.

onthecouchagain
Sep 22, 2013, 06:01 PM
Not wise to consider nor rely on fingerprint scannre as a means for security: http://www.phonearena.com/news/European-group-finds-a-way-to-get-around-the-Touch-ID-on-Apple-iPhone-5s_id47653

"We hope that this finally puts to rest the illusions people have about fingerprint biometrics. It is plain stupid to use something that you canīt change and that you leave everywhere every day as a security token. The public should no longer be fooled by the biometrics industry with false security claims. Biometrics is fundamentally a technology designed for oppression and control, not for securing everyday device access."

-Frank Rieger, spokesperson, CCC

OMAC83
Sep 22, 2013, 08:41 PM

Keep flaming fanboy.

Google invented maps? Lol I think maps are at least 30yrs old

Liquorpuki
Sep 22, 2013, 09:08 PM
Not too long

Samsung is the fastest second mover in the industry. Part of why they're successful is their engineering and supply-chain resources are ridiculously competent when it comes to rapid feature adoption

Apple OTOH is the slowest second mover in the industry. Yet they manage to get away with it because when they finally reach feature parity 2 years later, their marketing group goes into overdrive and throws around words like "magical" and "beautiful"

alex0002
Sep 23, 2013, 05:25 AM
I'm not sure if all those people lining up for the gold iPhone care about the fingerprint sensor. I'm sure most of them with neither know or care about the 64 bit cpu. Perhaps Samsung will offer a gold Galaxy S5 before they bother with adding a fingerprint sensor.

Vegastouch
Sep 23, 2013, 08:25 AM
I'm not sure if all those people lining up for the gold iPhone care about the fingerprint sensor. I'm sure most of them with neither know or care about the 64 bit cpu. Perhaps Samsung will offer a gold Galaxy S5 before they bother with adding a fingerprint sensor.

That gold color of the iPhone reminds me of my grandmother's car.

jrswizzle
Sep 23, 2013, 09:05 AM
Not wise to consider nor rely on fingerprint scannre as a means for security: http://www.phonearena.com/news/European-group-finds-a-way-to-get-around-the-Touch-ID-on-Apple-iPhone-5s_id47653

"We hope that this finally puts to rest the illusions people have about fingerprint biometrics. It is plain stupid to use something that you canīt change and that you leave everywhere every day as a security token. The public should no longer be fooled by the biometrics industry with false security claims. Biometrics is fundamentally a technology designed for oppression and control, not for securing everyday device access."

-Frank Rieger, spokesperson, CCC

Which is why it ISN'T the only way to get into the phone.

That article is click bait....EVERY security system in the world CAN be hacked by someone with the right amount of time and know how. As it is, if my 5S requires someone to both steal my phone, photograph my fingerprint at 2400 dpi (I routinely wipe my iPhone off anyways - always have), create a latex "double" to then bypass the fingerprint sensor I would have already locked it via Find My iPhone anyways.....at which point it would require the password I have set up.

I think people are assuming TOO much from this sensor. It's a way to bypass the numerous times daily one has to enter in a passcode to unlock the phone. Because I can "bypass" the code, I've now switched from a 4-digit code to the complex password. My phone is more secure because of this.

Same with the iTunes purchases. That one is a choice - you can either use the fingerprint scanner to verify purchases or not. And again, working in conjuunction with Find My iPhone and Activiation Lock, I dare ANYONE to find a more secure consumer mobile device.

There are also instances where the device automatically asks for a password - when you turn the phone on, for instance or after 48 hours of idle time.

Anyhow, I wouldn't see any problem with other OEMs implementing this type of thing provided they can integrate it as seamlessly as Apple has done. But with Apple now owning that tech, I wonder how it'll work.

I agree with a poster above - there should be a sticky thread telling people "Company X is copying company Y" threads are instant bans.....idiotic and mindless.

ReallyBigFeet
Sep 23, 2013, 09:24 AM
Not sure why none of the companies have turned their front-facing cameras into retina scanners yet really. I've seen some apps that sort of do it, but from what I've read, an Iris scanner scans something like 200 points for reference versus typical fingerprint scanners that only scan about 60-70.

Also works without gloves, although not sure what glasses/sunglasses and outdoor lighting would do to the camera.

On second thought, never mind...find it gimmicky on any platform.

The more prolific the phone, the more individuals will likely gravitate towards unique colors as a means of style selection. That's true of any product, smartphones included. And its the first time Apple has offered their flagship in anything but variants of black or white so its truly a unique color combo on every level.

onthecouchagain
Sep 23, 2013, 09:37 AM
Not sure why none of the companies have turned their front-facing cameras into retina scanners yet really. I've seen some apps that sort of do it, but from what I've read, an Iris scanner scans something like 200 points for reference versus typical fingerprint scanners that only scan about 60-70.

Also works without gloves, although not sure what glasses/sunglasses and outdoor lighting would do to the camera.

On second thought, never mind...find it gimmicky on any platform.

Actually, face unlock is mightily impressive. The improvements made to it since its first iteration have made it a pretty viable unlock option. I've recently started using it on my Nexus 7 and on my HTC One. It's faster than entering a pin, and slightly more secure now that it can't be fooled by pictures.

You can also scan your face multiple times to improve the facial recognition. So you can do one with and without your glasses, you can do one in optimal lighting and in non-optimal lighting, you can do one with and without a hat on, etc.

And you'd think this would muddle the facial recognition but it doesn't. I've tested it. Sure enough, if it isn't your face behind those glasses, it doesn't accept it.

It's also surprisingly fast, especially on the Nexus 7 where the front facing camera comes on right away the moment you wake your device (versus the HTC One that requires a swipe up first from it's main lock screen). It can unlock in less than a second if it's aimed directly at your face. In fact, it unlocks so fast that I sometimes wondered whether it was even really reading my face or not, but again, sure enough, if it's not your face, it won't unlock.

It'll also default immediately to your secondary unlock option (pin/pattern) if it fails the first time or detects that it's too dark to see you, which is nice as this only marginally interrupts you. A note on dimly lit situations: it's actually amazing how dim it can get before it will fail to recognize you. I tested it in a room with all the lights off except for the monitor -- very low light, my face is barely visible, and it unlocked.

Very impressive. If Google is continues improving this feature and as front facing cameras improve (go OEMs), this can only get better. It's a shame no one really talks about it anymore.

----------

Having said all that, I won't be surprised one bit if finger print sensors start finding their way back to Android devices.

It's already happening. The HTC One Max leaks came out well before the iPhone 5S announcement and it was sporting a finger print scanner on its back. Why HTC won't use their blank HTC logo on the front as the scanner is beyond me and a whole 'nother story!

jrswizzle
Sep 23, 2013, 09:58 AM
Actually, face unlock is mightily impressive. The improvements made to it since its first iteration have made it a pretty viable unlock option. I've recently started using it on my Nexus 7 and on my HTC One. It's faster than entering a pin, and slightly more secure now that it can't be fooled by pictures.

You can also scan your face multiple times to improve the facial recognition. So you can do one with and without your glasses, you can do one in optimal lighting and in non-optimal lighting, you can do one with and without a hat on, etc.

And you'd think this would muddle the facial recognition but it doesn't. I've tested it. Sure enough, if it isn't your face behind those glasses, it doesn't accept it.

It's also surprisingly fast, especially on the Nexus 7 where the front facing camera comes on right away the moment you wake your device (versus the HTC One that requires a swipe up first from it's main lock screen). It can unlock in less than a second if it's aimed directly at your face. In fact, it unlocks so fast that I sometimes wondered whether it was even really reading my face or not, but again, sure enough, if it's not your face, it won't unlock.

It'll also default immediately to your secondary unlock option (pin/pattern) if it fails the first time or detects that it's too dark to see you, which is nice as this only marginally interrupts you. A note on dimly lit situations: it's actually amazing how dim it can get before it will fail to recognize you. I tested it in a room with all the lights off except for the monitor -- very low light, my face is barely visible, and it unlocked.

Very impressive. If Google is continues improving this feature and as front facing cameras improve (go OEMs), this can only get better. It's a shame no one really talks about it anymore.

----------

Having said all that, I won't be surprised one bit if finger print sensors start finding their way back to Android devices.

It's already happening. The HTC One Max leaks came out well before the iPhone 5S announcement and it was sporting a finger print scanner on its back. Why HTC won't use their blank HTC logo on the front as the scanner is beyond me and a whole 'nother story!

Now I'm interested to try facial recog again - used it on my N7 and N4 for a bit, but didn't find it all that reliable (would fail a good portion of the time).

If it works now like you say it does, it might be worth a go again! Gonna try it out on my S4 now....

LOL at the fact it says its a low-security option....still more convenient than a passcode and more secure than NO security I guess.

EDIT: Well that was a complete fail....I set it up on my GS4. Then when I lock my phone and go to unlock it, I get the same swipe and no facial recog. So I figure, "Maybe I need to reboot for it to set in" so I do. Sure enough when the phone comes back it has the facial recog. Doesn't work the first time because it doesn't register my blink. So I go in, lock the phone and try again. Works the second time, albeit a tad slowly. Then it proceeds to go back to the "swipe to unlock" option.....no facial recog. Does it have to do with the s-view cover? Whatev - I prefer having my lockscreen apps on there anyways.

onthecouchagain
Sep 23, 2013, 10:27 AM
Now I'm interested to try facial recog again - used it on my N7 and N4 for a bit, but didn't find it all that reliable (would fail a good portion of the time).

If it works now like you say it does, it might be worth a go again! Gonna try it out on my S4 now....

LOL at the fact it says its a low-security option....still more convenient than a passcode and more secure than NO security I guess.

EDIT: Well that was a complete fail....I set it up on my GS4. Then when I lock my phone and go to unlock it, I get the same swipe and no facial recog. So I figure, "Maybe I need to reboot for it to set in" so I do. Sure enough when the phone comes back it has the facial recog. Doesn't work the first time because it doesn't register my blink. So I go in, lock the phone and try again. Works the second time, albeit a tad slowly. Then it proceeds to go back to the "swipe to unlock" option.....no facial recog. Does it have to do with the s-view cover? Whatev - I prefer having my lockscreen apps on there anyways.

The only thing I dislike when using face unlock on my One is that I have to swipe up from HTC's main lock screen first before the front camera comes on. I don't have to do this on the Nexus 7, and predict I won't have to for the Nexus 5 either, which I may get. However, I do like that I still have my four set apps in the HTC lock screen to go directly into once it's passed facial unlock.

Don't know what's going on with your S4. I have not run into any complications with my One using face unlock. Something on the TouchWiz end is my guess.

jrswizzle
Sep 23, 2013, 12:44 PM
The only thing I dislike when using face unlock on my One is that I have to swipe up from HTC's main lock screen first before the front camera comes on. I don't have to do this on the Nexus 7, and predict I won't have to for the Nexus 5 either, which I may get. However, I do like that I still have my four set apps in the HTC lock screen to go directly into once it's passed facial unlock.

Don't know what's going on with your S4. I have not run into any complications with my One using face unlock. Something on the TouchWiz end is my guess.

Ya - I'm sure its a TouchWiz thing. Don't have access to the lockscreen apps when the facial recog is on - but the camera comes on immediately without me doing anything.

I'm not concerned with extra security on my personal phone. If I was, I'd do the pattern thing. Doesn't override my preference for lockscreen apps in this case.