PDA

View Full Version : [iPhone] Gmail as exchange stopped working after switch to 5s

ddublu
Sep 20, 2013, 02:44 PM
Was working fine this morning before I switched the 5s. Was on ios7 today prior on my 5 as well. Did something change today?

MacDevil7334
Sep 20, 2013, 02:46 PM
Google stopped approving new Exchange connections for new devices after Jan 30. Your only option is to use a the gmail app if you want push notifications.

ohio.emt
Sep 20, 2013, 02:53 PM
Google stopped approving new Exchange connections for new devices after Jan 30. Your only option is to use a the gmail app if you want push notifications.

Yeah need to use the gmail app, or forward to iCloud to get push.

DollaTwentyFive
Sep 20, 2013, 03:11 PM

Or forward gmail to something that does support push like google business apps or outlook.com. Many threads about this.

Thierry ba
Sep 20, 2013, 03:18 PM
Was working fine this morning before I switched the 5s. Was on ios7 today prior on my 5 as well. Did something change today?

You cant use exchange on new device. Just add outlook.com account on the phone, and redirect gmail accounts to it. Works like a charm. :cool:

garylapointe
Sep 25, 2013, 03:30 PM

What a pain!!!! I thought since I was already using this that I'd get grandfathered in :(

How can they still be supporting this but not doing it for new users. Please Google, charge me a fee for this and make some money from me!!!

Gary

rwilliams
Sep 25, 2013, 03:40 PM
What a pain!!!! I thought since I was already using this that I'd get grandfathered in :(

How can they still be supporting this but not doing it for new users. Please Google, charge me a fee for this and make some money from me!!!

Gary

I think you can sign up for a Google Apps account and still use push on your new phone.

Carlanga
Sep 25, 2013, 03:41 PM

Gary

yes, your old device is grandfather in, not your new ones...

And, yes you can pay for google business cost $50 a year and you will get a new email address w/ your own @XXX.com that can do exchange. Free outlook is better.

I have mine setup as imap on the mail app and I have the gmail app also installed. I just use the notifications from the gmail app to see if I need to reply to something at that moment. While I also have a hotmail + outlook accounts, I don't like joining the MS and google emails into one since that was the whole point of me having 2 separate ones. I believe at one point google will cave and pay MS for the exchange service again.

Count Blah
Sep 25, 2013, 04:23 PM
yes, your old device is grandfather in, not your new ones...

Not 100%. There are several of us who are locked out of exchange with our older devices. YES, original owners/1st user of the phone, not refurb, etc...

Carlanga
Sep 25, 2013, 05:02 PM
Not 100%. There are several of us who are locked out of exchange with our older devices. YES, original owners/1st user of the phone, not refurb, etc...

yes 100% for older devices that were prev using gmail exchange like my post infers since the member had it already.... refurb is not an old device is new, second hand owners are new owners setting up after the cut off date for their new (but old hardware) phone, etc etc...

kwjohns
Sep 26, 2013, 12:31 AM
Over the past few days I've gradually just been switching my primary email address over to Outlook.com, after nine years on Gmail. It's a pain but I feel like I'm in the 21st century again with my email notifying me as soon as I get it without having to use a separate app. I've just decided to why continue using a service if it doesn't meet my needs? Outlook.com has been just fine and dandy.

Count Blah
Sep 26, 2013, 08:20 AM
yes 100% for older devices that were prev using gmail exchange like my post infers since the member had it already.... refurb is not an old device is new, second hand owners are new owners setting up after the cut off date for their new (but old hardware) phone, etc etc...
WOW!!! 100%. I guess any evidence of contrary is made up? People, like me, who are rebuffed in any attempt to validate through m.google.com with our same account and old/existing device that was "upgraded" to iOS7, are lying?

Carlanga
Sep 26, 2013, 09:31 AM
WOW!!! 100%. I guess any evidence of contrary is made up? People, like me, who are rebuffed in any attempt to validate through m.google.com with our same account and old/existing device that was "upgraded" to iOS7, are lying?
restore backup to get it

Ancaster
Oct 8, 2013, 11:49 PM
You cant use exchange on new device. Just add outlook.com account on the phone, and redirect gmail accounts to it. Works like a charm. :cool:

Gmail behaviours (delete/reply/send etc) sync across all devices using that method?