Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 21, 2009
So which Apple TV subtitle style did you settle on ?
The default or custom

Is there an option to not have the box behind the text ? I don't see it

Settings/general/accessibility/style /edit styles

On some movies selecting the large font makes the text look huge and in other movies is the perfect size

Last edited:

steve-p

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2008
Newbury, UK
On Netflix the subtitles are now yellow instead of white, too small, and too far from the bottom of the screen. They don't look like any of the examples in the accessibility menu so maybe this is something specific to the Netflix app that can't be changed.

omni

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2008
You have to create a new style - and turn the transparency on the background to 0 (default is 50%).

I checked netflix and at least for what I was watching it didn't change anything. I think I remember seeing some option when creating a new one for video services to override. I may have messed with that but I'm not at home to double check.

netsped

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2008
Yes, it really bothers me that the size of the subtitles change depending on the size of the source.

If the source is 1280x720p they look pretty good on Medium. But if the source is, let say, 1280x528p they look to small and have to be changed manually to the Large size.

I think it's a good thing that they gave us options, but this is a major flaw. Also, I think the perfect size is between Medium and Large (comparing them to the pre-update size).

steve-p

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2008
Newbury, UK
You have to create a new style - and turn the transparency on the background to 0 (default is 50%).

I checked netflix and at least for what I was watching it didn't change anything. I think I remember seeing some option when creating a new one for video services to override. I may have messed with that but I'm not at home to double check.
Thanks, will have a look at that later. The yellow subtitles are a bit too in your face for me, although everything is subjective and others may say it's easier to read. With French or German I only need to refer to the subtitles about half the time so I like them to be easy to ignore but at the same time easy to read, a trick which they had got just about right before.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
If the source is 1280x720p they look pretty good on Medium. But if the source is, let say, 1280x528p they look to small and have to be changed manually to the Large size.
At least for me, the previous FW had the bad habit to show subs with normal font size for 720p movies, but for 1080p movies they were too small, for me at least.

SunshineFires

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2011
I'm surprised at the level of customization Apple gave us for subtitles in this update. I love it.

The Economist

Suspended
Apr 4, 2011
Mexico

So, can you override Netflix's yellow subtitles?

twintin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
Sweden
I'm surprised at the level of customization Apple gave us for subtitles in this update. I love it.

Same here. Previoysly the small white Netflix text was extremely hard to read (especially if the bacground also happend to be bright). Now, it is a joy to use Netflix again. All missing now is the possibility to adjust the sub position (just a minor detail).

I think I remember seeing some option when creating a new one for video services to override. *I may have messed with that but I'm not at home to double check.

Yes, there i an option letting the video services override your setting. With that off, at least for me Netflix uses my custom settings.

So, can you override Netflix's yellow subtitles?

Yes you can (I'm using Netflix right now with custom style).

Last edited:

nperei

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2010
Boston
I hate the new subtitles with the black box. Herr netflix subs. thankfully aren't yellow!

IOS 7 will let you create own subtitle. You can make new one with out black box just set opacity 0%. and you can make own font with color or size whatever you feel comfortable

I love it and perfect. I might agtee with some people about select Large it seem way too big for TV. Yikes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.