PDA

View Full Version : Anybody buy an iPhone for the purpose of selling it?

appledes7
Sep 20, 2013, 04:01 PM
I bought a 5S today, but not to actually use it. I had an upgrade available and I know the Nexus 5 is coming soon. So my thought it buy at $200, sell for ~$650, buy Nexus 5 for $350-400 and pocket the rest. Anybody else doing something similar?

Apollo 13
Sep 20, 2013, 05:02 PM
hell no...good luck with your getting rip off goals of 2013. To many scammers to be wasting my time with that.

blackhand1001
Sep 20, 2013, 05:15 PM
I bought a 5S today, but not to actually use it. I had an upgrade available and I know the Nexus 5 is coming soon. So my thought it buy at $200, sell for ~$650, buy Nexus 5 for $350-400 and pocket the rest. Anybody else doing something similar?

I guess today would be the best day to do this since its launch and some people will be willing to pay full retail to get the latest and greatest.

JH-
Sep 20, 2013, 07:57 PM

Seems like a lot of effort for less than $100 profit considering the time invested.

tbayrgs
Sep 20, 2013, 08:31 PM
Seems like a lot of effort for less than $100 profit considering the time invested.

That's $100 and his phone of choice. The alternative would be to spend $350-400 and end up with the exact same phone. It's only just $100 profit if the OP is happy to use either phone.

JH-
Sep 20, 2013, 08:37 PM
That's $100 and his phone of choice. The alternative would be to spend $350-400 and end up with the exact same phone. It's only just $100 profit if the OP is happy to use either phone.

True. I overlooked that aspect.

appledes7
Sep 20, 2013, 10:38 PM
Ended up selling it for 760 today.

It was 215 after tax. So I got 545 to work with for a Nexus 5 :)

Not sure why people are being so judgmental of how I use my own upgrade. I was just curious to see if anyone else was going to do the same thing.

KentuckyHouse
Sep 20, 2013, 10:52 PM
I'm not sure why they're being so judgmental either. And you actually sold for less than I expected. There were ones going on eBay for $1000-$1500 (one gold one even went for...get this...$3050!) Crazy.

I've actually got two upgrades right now and thought about doing this, but in the end, I just didn't feel like of going through the hassle (even to make $500-$600 dollars). Plus, I'm saving my upgrade for future phones that I'm more impressed with.

Congrats on the sale, OP. I'll be picking up the Nexus 5 as well, so I'm patiently awaiting it.

appledes7
Sep 20, 2013, 11:12 PM
I'm not sure why they're being so judgmental either. And you actually sold for less than I expected. There were ones going on eBay for $1000-$1500 (one gold one even went for...get this...$3050!) Crazy.

I've actually got two upgrades right now and thought about doing this, but in the end, I just didn't feel like of going through the hassle (even to make $500-$600 dollars). Plus, I'm saving my upgrade for future phones that I'm more impressed with.

Congrats on the sale, OP. I'll be picking up the Nexus 5 as well, so I'm patiently awaiting it.

I was about 50th in line here and they sold out of all gold and silver models after only ~30 people had gone through. It was ridiculous.

In the end, I am happy I did it. Got to spend some time hanging out with friends and get enough money to easily pay for the Nexus 5 when it comes out.

KentuckyHouse
Sep 20, 2013, 11:14 PM
I was about 50th in line here and they sold out of all gold and silver models after only ~30 people had gone through. It was ridiculous.

In the end, I am happy I did it. Got to spend some time hanging out with friends and get enough money to easily pay for the Nexus 5 when it comes out.

Good deal. As long as you're happy, that's all that matters.

Stooby Mcdoobie
Sep 20, 2013, 11:32 PM
I thought about doing this as well - even stopped at Best Buy on the way home to gauge the line. Ultimately decided it wasn't worth the time/effort to me, but congrats on the quick turn and profit. I didn't leave the store empty handed, though; picked up a new Nexus 7!

daveathall
Sep 21, 2013, 12:35 AM
I too have done this in the past, it also gives one a chance of a look at the new phone before selling on. That is of course if not selling BNIB, but I found I got a good price and profit even though I couldn't resist a look. :)

Savor
Sep 21, 2013, 02:13 AM
I have thought about it actually because iPhones are the easiest to SELL. Apple marks up the prices anyway that they also maintain their value much longer.

I've sold 3-4 iPhones already and an iPod touch. I get the most responses since they are the most known and popular product line among phones. My Mom actually has a better hobby. Collecting Louis Vuitton bags and selling them off for a profit. She actually has a 6-year handbag that actually WENT UP in value after using it everyday. From $800 brand new to $1,800 but she can sell her used one for $1,200. Truly limited edition designs.

I might actually do this in my next upgrade in 2015. Philippines sells latest iPhones for 40k (near-$1000). I sell it for 30k brand new and then ask a relative to buy a Nexus phone from the Google Play Store with money left to spare. I also like the fact iPhones lack ANY carrier logos or branding or bloatware something I had to deal with the AT&T's HTC One. If I get a Samsung Galaxy S6 or Note 5 by 2015, I would still have to deal with carrier branding and bloatware.