PDA

View Full Version : How to transfer G4 data to new iMac G5?

savar
Nov 28, 2005, 04:18 PM
Hey all--

I'm setting up a new G5 for my mom in a couple of days, and I'm wondering how best to get her old data moved over to the new machine. I'm planning on using the G4 in target disk mode and maybe just drag-and-dropping things like iTunes library, iPhoto library, address book, mail etc. But I'm wondering if there is an app which does all of this automatically? Seems like there should be but I couldn't imagine what to search for to find it. Thanks for any tips.

MantaNZ
Nov 28, 2005, 05:07 PM
You can do it automatically. OS X should ask you if you want to transfer from an existing Mac during installation when you first turn the new machine on. You then simply follow the firewire instructions and sit back :) MY Mum (or as you yanks say - Mom) just did this the other day from my G4 to her G5. Works sweet.

Macky-Mac
Nov 28, 2005, 07:09 PM
You can do it automatically. OS X should ask you if you want to transfer from an existing Mac during installation when you first turn the new machine on. You then simply follow the firewire instructions and sit back :) MY Mum (or as you yanks say - Mom) just did this the other day from my G4 to her G5. Works sweet.

yep.....just have a firewire cable ready the first time you turn on the new computer and the migration assistent will lead you through the whole process