PDA

View Full Version : Movies not playing in Videos App

gkarris
Sep 20, 2013, 10:16 PM
The Videos App only plays videos from the iTunes Store. Your own won't play - there's no play button. Plus I had used this app and would send them to view on an AppleTV.

I have an iPad 2.

Any solutions?

gkarris
Sep 21, 2013, 02:50 PM
Anyone?

chriscl
Sep 21, 2013, 04:33 PM
The Videos App only plays videos from the iTunes Store. Your own won't play - there's no play button. Plus I had used this app and would send them to view on an AppleTV.

I have an iPad 2.

Any solutions?

Hmmm - working fine for me (iPhone 5 here) - I've a few movies in iTunes (that I've manually converted to .m4v using iVI Pro, these are not films from the iTunes Store); if I drag one to my iPhone and then go into the "Videos" app, I can see them just fine, I select one and it has the movie info plus a play button, hitting play takes me into the normal "playback" window, and there is the AirPlay button in the bottom right-hand corner, I can tap that and send the video output to my Apple TV, which is exactly what I would have expected?

What format are the video files you are trying to play?

gkarris
Sep 22, 2013, 05:54 PM
Hmmm - working fine for me (iPhone 5 here) - I've a few movies in iTunes (that I've manually converted to .m4v using iVI Pro, these are not films from the iTunes Store); if I drag one to my iPhone and then go into the "Videos" app, I can see them just fine, I select one and it has the movie info plus a play button, hitting play takes me into the normal "playback" window, and there is the AirPlay button in the bottom right-hand corner, I can tap that and send the video output to my Apple TV, which is exactly what I would have expected?

What format are the video files you are trying to play?

They are .m4v - I also tried changing them to .mp4.

One was from Handbrake, the other from iMovie.

I got them working though. I had to change the type from "TV Show" to "Home Video". The files can now be played.

It seems like Apple has "clamped down" on playing Movies and TV Shows so that in the App will only play purchased shows in that area.

If you have your own video files, they can only be played in "Home Videos".

Thanks for helping!

Rigby
Sep 22, 2013, 06:06 PM
One was from Handbrake, the other from iMovie.

I got them working though. I had to change the type from "TV Show" to "Home Video". The files can now be played.

It seems like Apple has "clamped down" on playing Movies and TV Shows so that in the App will only play purchased shows in that area.I just tried it and was able to play a TV show that I ripped from DVD without problem in the TV section. I used Handbrake for encoding and MetaX for tagging.

gkarris
Sep 22, 2013, 10:28 PM
I just tried it and was able to play a TV show that I ripped from DVD without problem in the TV section. I used Handbrake for encoding and MetaX for tagging.

Yeah, I was thinking that iOS 7 now requires properly tagging videos so that it is considered a Movie/TV Show instead of a Home Video.

My work-around works for now.

Thanks - will give MetaX a try...