PDA

View Full Version : We not getting a new iBooks app?

Joseph H
Sep 20, 2013, 11:31 PM
:confused:

Not even got the iOS 7 keyboard.

ElectronGuru
Sep 21, 2013, 12:57 AM
It looks like the design team had to choose between priorities. Somewhere, Ive is looking at it and cringing. They'll get it updated, after the fires are out.

gr8tfly
Sep 21, 2013, 01:06 AM
Thankfully not (and I hope it's not in the works). There something delightful about the page turning effect. If you don't like it, set it to full screen mode. It was a huge selling point for the iPad.

It's hypocritical of anyone to think simulating sliding frosted glass isn't the "S" word (I've grown to hate the term as its been overused and abused) or simulating a 3D object with the parallax effect. Even the current iOS 7 human interface guidelines describe when it's appropriate or not - it doesn't at all exclude use of simulated real-world objects.

viettanium
Sep 21, 2013, 01:07 AM
please wait for public releasing of Mavericks with iBooks for Mac. :D

mavis
Sep 21, 2013, 01:11 AM
iBooks and Find My Friends are the two big holdouts from Apple .. :(

djtech42
Sep 21, 2013, 01:12 AM
Thankfully not (and I hope it's not in the works). There something delightful about the page turning effect. If you don't like it, set it to full screen mode. It was a huge selling point for the iPad.

It's hypocritical of anyone to think simulating sliding frosted glass isn't the "S" word (I've grown to hate the term as its been overused and abused) or simulating a 3D object with the parallax effect. Even the current iOS 7 human interface guidelines describe when it's appropriate or not - it doesn't at all exclude use of simulated real-world objects.

If anything, the page turning effect will fit iOS 7 better as it more based on animation and motion than iOS 6. I don't really think Ive and the design team consider that skeumorphism, but the wood bookshelves will be removed to make the interface look better and more focused on content (iOS 7's ultimate goal).

lsutigerfan1976
Sep 21, 2013, 01:53 AM
Maybe "We" getting a new iBooks app, when "we" learn some grammar?!? Zing! :D

beautifulcoder
Sep 21, 2013, 04:12 AM
Good point, my biggest complain with "crap-apps" is they often fail to take advantage of the latest OS and here Apple has failed to deliver. Need to try harder Apple.

TommyA6
Sep 21, 2013, 07:23 AM

Who said they'll be removing the page turning animation? They'll just redesign the icon and get rid of the wood (+ probably some new features )

kappaknight
Sep 21, 2013, 08:10 AM
iBooks and Find My Friends are the two big holdouts from Apple .. :(

...and iMovie, Photobooth, and some other stuff.

But yeah, I'm guessing the new interface for iBooks will look like NewsStand.

bigjnyc
Sep 21, 2013, 08:18 AM
...and iMovie, Photobooth, and some other stuff.

But yeah, I'm guessing the new interface for iBooks will look like NewsStand.

I really hope not, newsstand looks horrible. It's like they just threw it together and didn't give it much thought. I don't mind because I never use it, but iBooks on the other hand I use all the time

aheying7
Sep 21, 2013, 08:21 AM
I think it's probably ready, but won't be updated until the new iPads come out. iBooks is more of an iPad app and it will be more fitting for them to show it off at that keynote and act like its a feature for the new iPads.

minimo3
Sep 21, 2013, 08:33 AM
Page turning is the ultimate skeumorphism - mimicking a physical page when there is no such construct in the digital realm. If you want to be consistent with the removal of the yellow legal notes and green felt then iBooks should scroll in one continuous vertical page, just like a web page.

I for one like skeumorphism but I'm in the minority.

age234
Sep 21, 2013, 08:38 AM
Page turning is the ultimate skeumorphism - mimicking a physical page when there is no such construct in the digital realm. If you want to be consistent with the removal of the yellow legal notes and green felt then iBooks should scroll in one continuous vertical page, just like a web page.

I for one like skeumorphism but I'm in the minority.

If they remove page turning, I won't update the app. I mean, the entire concept of "electronic books" implies skeuomorphism.

From A Buick 8
Sep 21, 2013, 08:45 AM
You may be missing the point of iOS 7. The letters will fly in from the corners and form the words on each page. :D