Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Icons in iOS 7 are

• Beautiful, all of them

Votes: 22 22.9%
  • Moh, don't really care

Votes: 15 15.6%
  • Some are ugly

Votes: 34 35.4%
  • Apple should switch back the icon style

Votes: 25 26.0%

• Total voters

drenline

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2010
I had a pocketful of cash ready to buy a 2 month old iPhone 5 today, not knowing the seller had just updated to iOS 7, so I messed around with it trying my best to like it....I found it impossible, it is beyond ugly and I cancelled the transaction right there and then due to the new iOS 7.

I didn't know apple hired a bunch of 12 year old girls to design their iOS icons?

curiosity

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2013
Some icons are very ugly (Notes, Reminders...) but the flat and colorful style in general is not too bad IMO. What I dislike are other changes. They could have used flat buttons, but they removed them completely. Thus they removed intuitive parts of the interface. And another big mistake is to use all those white backgrounds. White + LCD = bad for your eyes. Not to mention the thinny fonts and generally low reading contrast. But I guess that's another topic.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Hi,

I was just wondering if there was any workaround in iOS 7 to get the old icons back. Especially the ones on white (kiosk, etc.). These are, in my taste, really bad. Really liked them in previous version, now it's just Android/Windows phone alike ugly.

Jailbreak. If there is one available yet.

TheBSDGuy

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2012
I really have to wonder what Apple is thinking sometimes. The icons now look like something you'd expect to from an old Mac made in the '80s (ie pretty much two dimensional). Additionally the scroll bar for items looks like it was done by a college student that didn't quite complete his project in time. It works, but, IMHO, it just looks dorky.

Some of the features they've added are definitely a plus, but why in God's name did they "improve" things that didn't need improvement?

Change for the sake of change can backfire on you.

I could list a whole lot of gripes, and they're all appearance (as in trivial) related, but never the less, annoying. Maybe it's time to start looking at other products on the market. It's not like I owe Apple anything....I certainly don't.

I actually attempted to restore back to IOS 6 but found I wasn't allowed to do so. This "we know best for your by dictum" attitude is also a little more than aggravating.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm mostly fine with them. At first, it was like ewww, but now I'm all but used to them. The only one I really don't like is the Safari icon, but the rest are ok

JaneRenee

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2012
Texas
Some icons are very ugly (Notes, Reminders...) but the flat and colorful style in general is not too bad IMO. What I dislike are other changes. They could have used flat buttons, but they removed them completely. Thus they removed intuitive parts of the interface. And another big mistake is to use all those white backgrounds. White + LCD = bad for your eyes. Not to mention the thinny fonts and generally low reading contrast. But I guess that's another topic.

As far as the thin font - turn on Bold Text under Settings>General>Accessibility. It helped me a lot!

XciteMePls

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2013
I love some of the functionality changes iOS 7 brings, but I really, really, truly dislike the new icons. I don't see myself ever liking them or having them grow on me... They are just so hideous. They look like something a 4th grader was hired to create on MS Paint.

pickaxe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2012
I think they are laughably bad and am truly shocked that Apple higher-ups gave them the green light.

chambone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Netherlands
I think the icons look fine. I like them better actually than those in iOS 6. I guess it's the simplicity that appeals to me. And call me crazy, but I also like the fact that the UI is more white. I was never really into the pinstripe backs, yellow notes etc.

I guess some folks simply will not stop complaining until it looks like the white on black Android UI. In other words, like some 2002 warez site.

What bothers me the most, visually, are the white battery icon's corners. It's just not tight and it's very easy to fix. The black icon looks fine though.

Last edited:

GlenK

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
St. Augustine, FL
When I first saw them I really hated them. But now I'm getting used to them. The same for me as a lot have mentioned a few of them are horrible.

The photos icon looks like the NBC logo, and notes, reminders, and calendar need some work.

Unhyper

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
Finland
I don't really care one way or another. Many of the native apps end up in a Junk Apps folder anyway, just as they did on iOS 6.

I can understand that people have different aesthetic preferences, but I'm surprised by how people can go on and on about the icons. I don't sit there admiring them, I only use them to launch apps and that's it. It's the functionality of the system and the apps I use that I care about. Some people are even willing to go so far as to switch to a different platform over the look of icons. Wow. I should set aside a few hours to stare at the icons and not waste time on work or entertainment. Maybe then I would understand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.