Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 9, 2010
I really don't get this at all. The gf asked me why her iPod wouldn't turn off and I see that she set the auto lock to 'never' but as she has already set the passcode lock to 'off' she did not realise that 'auto lock' really means 'sleep'.

Why is 'sleep' referred to as 'auto lock'?

L T

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2013
UK
Because you aren't sleeping the device, you are just putting it on standby. Auto lock is fairly self explainitary, it's been used since iPhones began

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Because it's what happens, your phone locks automatically.

Your phone is locked when it doesn't accept input unless it's a specific action (e.g. slide to unlock).

Such states have been called 'locked' even on dumb phones for as long as I can remember.

Curun

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2013
I really don't get this at all. The gf asked me why her iPod wouldn't turn off and I see that she set the auto lock to 'never' but as she has already set the passcode lock to 'off' she did not realise that 'auto lock' really means 'sleep'.

Why is 'sleep' referred to as 'auto lock'?

I agree its confusing.

With a 5min timer on passcode lock. It doesnt activate that when "auto locking" after 2 min.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.