Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarcusCarpenter

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 18, 2013
London
Seeing as Apple have now stopped signing iOS 6.1.4 it appears the Battery plauge affecting iPhone 5 users will stay until 7.0.2

Downgraded yesterday to 6.1.4 however the Mrs decided to update my phone to 7 thinking it was hers :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Women, who'd have 'em

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
I have iPhone 5 runing iOS7 and I have not seen any problems with battery!! Have you tried all the tricks on the book? There are lots of helful advices in this forum in regard to the battery issues.

jDW194

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2013
Canberra, Australia
Seriously ? Am I the only person with an iPhone 5 that has no issues with the battery? Bluetooth on all day, LTE, background sync with fitbit, polar Bluetooth heart rate monitor and GPS run tracker? Sure-I charge it ever night but I don't consider that a plague?

I updated to iOS 7 and it's just the same.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
I have iPhone 5 runing iOS7 and I have not seen any problems with battery!! Have you tried all the tricks on the book? There are lots of helful advices in this forum in regard to the battery issues.

Me either. The first couple days after upgrading to gm I saw reduced battery but then it went back to normal.

borostef

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2012
Zagreb, Croatia
Seeing as Apple have now stopped signing iOS 6.1.4 it appears the Battery plauge affecting iPhone 5 users will stay until 7.0.2

Downgraded yesterday to 6.1.4 however the Mrs decided to update my phone to 7 thinking it was hers :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Women, who'd have 'em

Well... If that isn't a reason for divorce I don't know what is...:)
Shame about Apple not signing 6.1.4 any more... Glad that I downgraded in time...

MarcusCarpenter

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 18, 2013
London
I've tried everything from restoring/upgrading DFU install etc. maybe leave it a few days ? And yeah there's a benchmark that shows the iPhone 5 has much worst battery compared to any device (previously was the best) tried turning off settings also still see battery dropping very fast. When I downgraded yesterday to 6 I finished the day with 7 hours usage (3G) surfing with 80% battery. I'm on 80% battery right now and it's only been off charge for an hour ( no usage use music)

throys

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2011
London
I've tried everything from restoring/upgrading DFU install etc. maybe leave it a few days ? And yeah there's a benchmark that shows the iPhone 5 has much worst battery compared to any device (previously was the best) tried turning off settings also still see battery dropping very fast. When I downgraded yesterday to 6 I finished the day with 7 hours usage (3G) surfing with 80% battery. I'm on 80% battery right now and it's only been off charge for an hour ( no usage use music)

Did you try iOS 7 as a new device rather than restoring a backup to see results, also turn off background refresh on apps you don't use. I have a iphone 5 and don't see this issue.

jonasdamn

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2013
For me iOS7 on my iPhone 5 way better in any terms comparing with 6.1.4. Battery seems to be better after using for some days iOS7

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community

Women, who'd have 'em

That is why Apple offers a couple of colors for iPhones

In my family - I have always had a black color, wife has always had white (but now has gold 5S)

She doesn't touch the black phone and I don't touch the white phone
And the gold 5S works out well because the upper and lower front trim is still white.

It just works :D

MarcusCarpenter

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 18, 2013
London
Did you try iOS 7 as a new device rather than restoring a backup to see results, also turn off background refresh on apps you don't use. I have a iphone 5 and don't see this issue.

Yes of course, i never use backups they are turned off. seeing as all my data is in iCloud "contacts", "Application Documents" etc

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
Plauge, or plague, with the battery? My iPhone 5 has been on iOS 7 since it went live, and I'm seeing the same battery life as on iOS 6, if not slightly better.

MarcusCarpenter

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 18, 2013
London
Being a Paid registered Developer i've used iOS7 since jun, All the betas 1-6.
the GM is far worse on battery than B6 was. it don't matter if you do a clean install or upgrade from 6 (no backups) still resulted in the same issue. It's the same for 2 iPhones 5's however iP4/4s are completely fine

----------

OKAYYY ive fixed on of the iPhones 5's it was on 6.1.4 with loads of data (apps etc)

done OTA upgrade and everythings fine, is there any issue restoring iOS7 resulting in bad battery (dropping 5% per min)

The only thing i can think of would be that theres files left behind from 6 that keep the battery operating fine.

Shame i cant do that with the other iPhone 5 seeing as 6.1.4 isn't signed anymore

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Seriously ? Am I the only person with an iPhone 5 that has no issues with the battery? Bluetooth on all day, LTE, background sync with fitbit, polar Bluetooth heart rate monitor and GPS run tracker? Sure-I charge it ever night but I don't consider that a plague?

I updated to iOS 7 and it's just the same.

I am not having issues with the battery either

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
The battery life is a real and documented issue, it's not personal. All 5's are affected. It's not devastating per se, and if you aren't a real heavy user you probably won't notice it. But my phone gets consistently 20-25% less runtime, because I watch my usage stats like a hawk and am on my phone all the time.

Mike in Kansas

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2008
Metro Kansas City
My battery life on iOS7 with my iPhone 5 has actually improved. Could be because I went through ALL the settings and optimized what I could; I may have been sloppy on iOS6.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
The battery life is a real and documented issue, it's not personal. All 5's are affected. It's not devastating per se, and if you aren't a real heavy user you probably won't notice it. But my phone gets consistently 20-25% less runtime, because I watch my usage stats like a hawk and am on my phone all the time.

It may be a documented issue but it in no way affects all 5's. I did see some battery drain the firs two days but I discovered it was because I was picking up my phone all the time to play with the new OS. Now that the " new" has worn off some my battery is back to normal.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
That "I've been playing with my phone a lot because of the new o/s and that's why the battery is draining more" stuff is BS.

Usage time is usage time and whether you achieve 6 hours of usage time using your phone non stop, or you achieve 6 hours of battery usage time over the course of 24 hours, it makes absolutely no difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.