Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

srkmish

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 10, 2013
So, recently i hooked up my 7 in Chinese tab with a Tv and added mouse and keyboard to make it an "android desktop". I love how with such a cheap setup one can do all the general things a lappy/pc does- browse web, watch movies, play casual games. Of course it cant run photoshop or play skyrim.

I love how flexible android is that it allows us to use mouse cursor in its devices. Sadly ipads dont support it. In my search for the perfect 10 in tablet, this has become a deterrent.

Ideally i would like my tab to get converted into a laptop with mouse/keyboard whenever i require it. On the other hand, i love ipads and enjoy its appstore superiority over playstore. Again, i am in a dilemma now with imminent release of ipad 5 and New note 10.1. God!!!

Elit3

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
So, recently i hooked up my 7 in Chinese tab with a Tv and added mouse and keyboard to make it an "android desktop". I love how with such a cheap setup one can do all the general things a lappy/pc does- browse web, watch movies, play casual games. Of course it cant run photoshop or play skyrim.

I love how flexible android is that it allows us to use mouse cursor in its devices. Sadly ipads dont support it. In my search for the perfect 10 in tablet, this has become a deterrent.

Ideally i would like my tab to get converted into a laptop with mouse/keyboard whenever i require it. On the other hand, i love ipads and enjoy its appstore superiority over playstore. Again, i am in a dilemma now with imminent release of ipad 5 and New note 10.1. God!!!

Nexus 7 (2013) Nexus 10 (2013, when it releases in october, if you want the bigger screen)
Razer Edge (Pro) (A fledged tablet/laptop, best for gaming, bit pricey)
Microsoft Surface Pro 2 (A fledged tablet/laptop)
iPad
Asus (Windows 8 ones, wait a month or two for these guys, after Surface Pro 2 was announced ASUS will be around the corner).

The Galaxy Tablets aren't too good compared to these others
Really the few you should be looking at, though, for what you are looking for I would rule out the iPad, just on the keyboard/mouse thing.
The RT tablets lack apps so flexibilty nope, but pro are good
I might say the Razer Edge Pro is over the top in price and power, as it can run photoshop and skyrim so, refined list:

Nexus 7 (2013)
Nexus 10 (2013 TBA)
Surface 2 Pro
ASUS Windows 8 (with desktop/laptop windows TBA)

A few questions to narrow it down:

1. How much are you willing to spend?
2. What size did you prefer?
3. What OS do you prefer, Android or full windows 8?
4. Did you want functionality of an actually laptop/desktop
5. Do you mind waiting?

If you answer these, I could probably give you what I would get in your circumstance.

Last edited:

srkmish

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 10, 2013
Hi, Srkmish,
I saw your post this morning and it got me thinking ...... Can I do the same with my Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1?
But then I hit a snag.
How did you connect your tablet to a TV?

I have a hdmi port on my tab. doesn't note 10.1 have one?

----------

Nexus 7 (2013) Nexus 10 (2013, when it releases in october, if you want the bigger screen)
Razer Edge (Pro) (A fledged tablet/laptop, best for gaming, bit pricey)
Microsoft Surface Pro 2 (A fledged tablet/laptop)
iPad
Asus (Windows 8 ones, wait a month or two for these guys, after Surface Pro 2 was announced ASUS will be around the corner).

The Galaxy Tablets aren't too good compared to these others
Really the few you should be looking at, though, for what you are looking for I would rule out the iPad, just on the keyboard/mouse thing.
The RT tablets lack apps so flexibilty nope, but pro are good
I might say the Razer Edge Pro is over the top in price and power, as it can run photoshop and skyrim so, refined list:

Nexus 7 (2013)
Nexus 10 (2013 TBA)
Surface 2 Pro
ASUS Windows 8 (with desktop/laptop windows TBA)

A few questions to narrow it down:

1. How much are you willing to spend?
2. What size did you prefer?
3. What OS do you prefer, Android or full windows 8?
4. Did you want functionality of an actually laptop/desktop
5. Do you mind waiting?

If you answer these, I could probably give you what I would get in your circumstance.

Hi thanks for all the suggestions. I am looking for a 10 in tablet and surface pro 2 is out of my budget. I was actually eyeing the upcoming note 10,1 as it has a high resolution screen plus mouse support as i was looking for. Nexus 10 seems a great choice also, however it has not launched officially here in india.

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010

If you want Android "work" functionality go with a 10.1" android tab, then for Apple Appstore goodness, buy a used iPod touch or something (used mini?) to get all the iOS apps for the "fun" side of things.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
I'm probably going for the LG G Pad 8.3.

I want a tablet about that size with high resolution screen and this one is the first one to be released.

Nexus 7 is too small.

Elit3

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
I have a hdmi port on my tab. doesn't note 10.1 have one?

----------

Hi thanks for all the suggestions. I am looking for a 10 in tablet and surface pro 2 is out of my budget. I was actually eyeing the upcoming note 10,1 as it has a high resolution screen plus mouse support as i was looking for. Nexus 10 seems a great choice also, however it has not launched officially here in india.

Wow, I can't believe I left the Note's out. They are also apparently quite good. Yeah, it disappoints me how so many products aren't released it big markets like India!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.