PDA

View Full Version : Apple have stopped signing iOS 6.

WeegieMac
Sep 21, 2013, 07:59 AM
Didn't notice a thread elsewhere, apologies if this is a duplicate thread.

iDownloadblog this morning tweeted that the signing window for iOS 6 is now closed. So as of now there is no means of restoring back from iOS 7 to iOS 6 via a simple iTunes restore.

Just a heads up for those this may affect.

Kargo
Sep 21, 2013, 08:03 AM
Restored just in time then! Now if only there was a way to stop those Software Update notifications for 7.0

crookadile
Sep 21, 2013, 09:01 AM
Restored just in time then! Now if only there was a way to stop those Software Update notifications for 7.0

Yes I agree, that red dot does my head in. I have stuck the settings icon on a page on it's own so I don't have to see it all the time.:cool:

FranksWildYears
Sep 21, 2013, 09:05 AM
Good. The fewer iOS 6 holdovers actively using their devices, the faster developers will update their apps to take advantage of iOS 7. :)

BvizioN
Sep 21, 2013, 09:16 AM
Well, quite pointless holding into something that is slipping away into the past IMO. Forward is the only way!!

bigjobby
Sep 21, 2013, 09:41 AM
Well, quite pointless holding into something that is slipping away into the past IMO. Forward is the only way!!

Forwards is worse than going backwards if it kills a given device's battery life. 4s in my case.

Damolee
Sep 21, 2013, 09:43 AM
Ah crap. Was going to move back today because of the battery life.

Oh well, new phone it is.

Carlanga
Sep 21, 2013, 09:45 AM

Yes I agree, that red dot does my head in. I have stuck the settings icon on a page on it's own so I don't have to see it all the time.:cool:

There is a tweak in cydia that removes software update notifications. ;)

redshovel
Sep 21, 2013, 09:49 AM
Ah crap. Was going to move back today because of the battery life.

Oh well, new phone it is.

Try a restore to fix ios7 battery life. It worked for me.

JackieInCo
Sep 21, 2013, 10:02 AM
Try a restore to fix ios7 battery life. It worked for me.

The 1.5 days I ran 7.0 on my 4S, there was nothing wrong with the battery life.

redshovel
Sep 21, 2013, 10:05 AM
The 1.5 days I ran 7.0 on my 4S, there was nothing wrong with the battery life.

Well for some users the upgrade has caused an issue that requires a restore - otherwise the battery seems to last less than half of normal use.

Bruins Fan
Sep 21, 2013, 10:09 AM
Amongst the reasons why I like to sit on the sidelines for a bit before upgrading. I'll let Apple work out some bugs, etc. and not be stuck with 7 while I wait.

After spending some time here reading all the iOS 7 threads I'm glad I'm staying with iOS 6 for a while. If it ain't broke...

MisakixMikasa
Sep 21, 2013, 10:11 AM
Holy crap... Wants to restore to iOS 6.1.3 because of the poor battery life.

redshovel
Sep 21, 2013, 10:14 AM
Holy crap... Wants to restore to iOS 6.1.3 because of the poor battery life.

Back up your iOS 7 install, wipe phone and then restore. This should repair the install and the battery life in ios7

MisakixMikasa
Sep 21, 2013, 10:15 AM
Back up your iOS 7 install, wipe phone and then restore. This should repair the install and the battery life in ios7

Nope... Wiped the phone, restored twice. Battery still very poor...

redshovel
Sep 21, 2013, 10:27 AM

Mmm... Not good! .....u tried DFU mode and then setting up as new?

thedeejay
Sep 21, 2013, 10:27 AM
It's been the opposite for me. I had 6.1.3, battery died in 5-6 hours. Got the GM, lasted the entire day (Usage hadn't changed). I ended up reverting back to 6.1.3 just cause of iCal though. Otherwise iOS 7 was smooth sailing

BvizioN
Sep 21, 2013, 10:31 AM
Forwards is worse than going backwards if it kills a given device's battery life. 4s in my case.

Yes, but just because it does it on yours (or some other people for that matter) it surely doesn't mean that it does it for everyone else. Not for me at least.

MisakixMikasa
Sep 21, 2013, 10:34 AM
Mmm... Not good! .....u tried DFU mode and then setting up as new?

Yes, I did...

redshovel
Sep 21, 2013, 10:38 AM
Yes, I did...

Well if it was my phone I would be straight down to apple store and looking it swapped out!

Shuri
Sep 21, 2013, 10:50 AM

How long did you use it? My first day on the update (on my iphone 5) had horrible battery, but on the second it was at least as good as on iOS 6, maybe even a little better. I guess the system has to do some background tasks for the beginning, like spotlight indexing or so (that's what happening on my MacBook Pro from time to time)

I was being sceptic about iOS 7 look, installed it for the new features mainly, but after the first day of use the new UI really amazes me every time I unlock my phone. Especially after I changed the wallpaper to the preinstalled blue water one, turning the homescreen into a light blue, what really matches my taste for now. :) iOS 7 look is really ultimately dependent of the wallpaper you use, some that used to be good for 6 look horrible and some look gorgeous.

HipHopTrex
Sep 21, 2013, 10:53 AM
Got it in time, but now iMessage refuses to work, after working for around 12ish hours on iOS 6 again.:mad:

MisakixMikasa
Sep 21, 2013, 11:38 AM
Well if it was my phone I would be straight down to apple store and looking it swapped out!

it is iPhone 4S, has been out of warranty for near one year.... Sigh...

moderngamenewb
Sep 21, 2013, 11:41 AM

It's really draining my battery on my 4S too.

Ethere
Sep 21, 2013, 12:22 PM
I wish I would have seen this yesterday. So just to be clear, there's absolutely no way of downgrading my 4S back to 6.1.3? :(

Carlanga
Sep 21, 2013, 12:24 PM
I wish I would have seen this yesterday. So just to be clear, there's absolutely no way of downgrading my 4S back to 6.1.3? :(
if they have really stopped signing it for the 4S then you are SOL...

-------

I can feel the seeds of the threads starting to sprout about not being able to downgrade! :apple:

TriJetHero
Sep 21, 2013, 12:36 PM
I can feel the seeds of the threads starting to sprout about not being able to downgrade! :apple:

Yep!

MacRobert10
Sep 21, 2013, 02:35 PM
As a matter of opinion, I don't think Apple's kill all support for previous devices is good. I use my iPhone for very specific tasks. I don't base my life on it. I'm not having a love affair with it. To me it's just a tool, nothing more. Quite honestly they've messed up or at least managed to "uglify" some of the things I use. I attempted to get the iOS6 "downgrade" last night, and before my eyes the site hosting them started marking them as "not approved" by Apple.

The oddity of this is that if you look at what's available for the iPhone 3, almost everything is. This web site lists all the installs you can put on iPhones, iPads, etc.:

http://www.icj.me/ios/all#iPhone31

The red mark in each row means not available, whereas a green check means available.

To me this doesn't seem logical. It's like they're trying to force their products down the consumers throat. This is a bad idea. Like I said, my life doesn't revolve around the iPhone. If they make it so I don't like it I'll just look at and get another product and wave bye-bye to the iPhone all together.

bbfc
Sep 21, 2013, 02:45 PM
As a matter of opinion, I don't think Apple's kill all support for previous devices is good. I use my iPhone for very specific tasks. I don't base my life on it. I'm not having a love affair with it. To me it's just a tool, nothing more. Quite honestly they've messed up or at least managed to "uglify" some of the things I use. I attempted to get the iOS6 "downgrade" last night, and before my eyes the site hosting them started marking them as "not approved" by Apple.

The oddity of this is that if you look at what's available for the iPhone 3, almost everything is. This web site lists all the installs you can put on iPhones, iPads, etc.:

The red mark in each row means not available, whereas a green check means available.

To me this doesn't seem logical. It's like they're trying to force their products down the consumers throat. This is a bad idea. Like I said, my life doesn't revolve around the iPhone. If they make it so I don't like it I'll just look at and get another product and wave bye-bye to the iPhone all together.

That's the way it's always been on iOS. Once a new version is released the previous version is usually discontinued.

Altis
Sep 21, 2013, 03:31 PM
It's really draining my battery on my 4S too.

My 4S died in 6 hours the first day. I had already done a fresh "restore", new phone, and restored backup.

Then I read to "Reset All Settings" and "Reset Network Connections".

Voila, I'm back to normal. It also got rid of some lag, it seems a bit quicker.

FranksWildYears
Sep 21, 2013, 03:35 PM

They haven't "killed all support". As has been stated, this is what always happens. If you weren't keen on iOS 6 for your 4S a few days after release? Too late!

bigjobby
Sep 21, 2013, 03:38 PM
Yes, but just because it does it on yours (or some other people for that matter) it surely doesn't mean that it does it for everyone else. Not for me at least.

Did I suggest anywhere in my post that it was happening to everyone's devices? There's already a significant amount of noise currently on the www saying that there's a battery draining problem with some devices and it wouldn't surprise me if Apple, given time, comments on this but I'm not holding my breath.

How long did you use it? My first day on the update (on my iphone 5) had horrible battery, but on the second it was at least as good as on iOS 6, maybe even a little better. I guess the system has to do some background tasks for the beginning, like spotlight indexing or so (that's what happening on my MacBook Pro from time to time)

I was being sceptic about iOS 7 look, installed it for the new features mainly, but after the first day of use the new UI really amazes me every time I unlock my phone. Especially after I changed the wallpaper to the preinstalled blue water one, turning the homescreen into a light blue, what really matches my taste for now. :) iOS 7 look is really ultimately dependent of the wallpaper you use, some that used to be good for 6 look horrible and some look gorgeous.

Mine completely drained overnight from 40% on the first night and so I turned off some of the eye candy stuff & other functions, quit all my apps etc to a point that its almost functionally defeating the object of the update. Since then the drain hasn't been near what it was but in general use, it still drains a lot quicker. Perhaps even holding the phone right might help. :)

I'm just going to monitor the situation, try out a few things and persevere (not that one has a choice anymore). But yes, I do like the UI.

Apple have stopped signing iOS 6.1.3 & 4 unless they re-open the doors (which I can't see them doing). So I guess its now officially a one-way street.

----------

Then I read to "Reset All Settings" and "Reset Network Connections".

Cheers pal. I'll give that a whirl too.

FranksWildYears
Sep 21, 2013, 03:40 PM
I would expect battery quirks to be ironed out soon, bigjobby. It seems to be something that crops up among a sizeable minority with each new version of iOS.

jamesnajera
Sep 21, 2013, 03:45 PM

If you did the restore, and set it up as new and are still getting poor battery, it might be related to the new features based on location awareness. Go to Settings → Privacy → Location Services → System Services and control the way the GPS is used. For example I disable Location-Based iAds, Popular Near Me, Frequent Locations, and Diagnostics & Usage. A) I do not want my battery wasted on using GPS for that stuff, and B) I don't need the phone to know where I am all the time.

Tubamajuba
Sep 21, 2013, 03:58 PM

I really don't understand how OS updates have anything to do with "love affairs" or whether or not your life revolves around a phone. Plenty of average, non-Apple obsessed people have updated their iPhones and like iOS 7. It's fine if you don't like iOS 7, but this has nothing to do with supporting "previous devices". Your device is still supported, just with a newer version of the OS.

Actually, supporting older devices is something that Apple does far better than their competition. A huge portion of iOS devices dating back to the iPhone 4 in 2010 and the iPhone 4S and iPad 2 in 2011 have already been updated to iOS 7, and that means developers can already begin taking advantage of new APIs and features contained in iOS 7. This means better apps for everybody.

But hey, if you don't care about any of that, more power to you. Android and Windows Phone are just over there.