PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to disable the new built in flashlight?

Overtoad
Sep 21, 2013, 08:20 AM
I tried to delete it but it won't allow it. Anyway to disable?

bbfc
Sep 21, 2013, 08:21 AM
I tried to delete it but it won't allow it. Anyway to disable?

Don't use it.

NinjaDuck
Sep 21, 2013, 08:28 AM
There's no way to disable the flashlight. Not that i know of.

Shrink
Sep 21, 2013, 08:30 AM
Don't use it.

What is going on here!?

A perfectly sensible suggestion...here!?

Really, if you keep this up you're going to ruin it for those who can't figure this stuff out and need apps to disappear rather than just ignoring them. :D

:rolleyes::p

(Readers please note...this is irony, a jest...I'm not criticizing bbfc's post, I am agreeing with it.)

Overtoad
Sep 21, 2013, 08:31 AM
There's no way to disable the flashlight. Not that i know of.

I couldn't find where to disable either. Thanks for the reply

firstapple
Sep 21, 2013, 08:41 AM
What are you trying to disable here? Do you not want there to be a flashlight icon in control center or something? If that's the case, no one is forcing you to click it. It's there for convenience sake. I personally use it all the time, and love that it's now included with iOS 7 in control center rather than having to use an app like in previous iOS versions.

darngooddesign
Sep 21, 2013, 08:49 AM
Without any snark. You can't edit what is in Command Center.

FFF84
Sep 21, 2013, 09:08 AM
Don't use it.

Apple Logic (don't use it, you are using it wrong, it's a beta).

Daveoc64
Sep 21, 2013, 09:12 AM
Apple Logic (don't use it, you are using it wrong, it's a beta).

While I understand what you're saying, the OP hasn't stated what their concern about it is...

Overtoad
Sep 21, 2013, 09:23 AM
While I understand what you're saying, the OP hasn't stated what their concern about it is...

It for some reason has caused my 3rd party flashlight app not to work. I like the 3rd party flashlight app better. Can dim and brighten it. I was hoping the forced built in app could be disabled. I deleted 3rd party app and reinstalled it but the problem was not corrected.

darngooddesign
Sep 21, 2013, 09:26 AM
It for some reason has caused my 3rd party flashlight app not to work. I like the 3rd party flashlight app better. Can dim and brighten it. I was hoping the forced built in app could be disabled. I deleted 3rd party app and reinstalled it but the problem was not corrected.

Have you emailed the app's developer to ask them what they think? It might need to be updated.

Appledict
Sep 21, 2013, 09:27 AM

Maybe your flashlight app hasn't been updated for ios 7 yet?

Overtoad
Sep 21, 2013, 09:31 AM
Have you emailed the app's developer to ask them what they think? It might need to be updated.

No I haven't yet.

darngooddesign
Sep 21, 2013, 09:35 AM
No I haven't yet.

Serious question. Why did you think we know more about the app than the developer in regards to Command Center having anything to do with the app or whether the app needs to be updated because if Command Center?

Overtoad
Sep 21, 2013, 09:42 AM
Serious question. Why did you think we know more about the app than the developer in regards to Command Center having anything to do with the app or whether the app needs to be updated because if Command Center?

I didn't ask about the app. I asked if anyone here knew if the ios 7 forced flashlight could be disabled. That's all I asked. I looked and thought I was missing where it could be disabled just like you can disable the camera.

scottish
Sep 21, 2013, 09:46 AM

To be fair to the OP, their initial question was whether the built in flashlight could be disabled, not about a preinstalled app and Command (sic) Centers impact on it.

sjinsjca
Sep 21, 2013, 09:56 AM
It for some reason has caused my 3rd party flashlight app not to work.

What makes you think the presence of a built-in LED toggle is what broke your 3rd party app?

There were a gazillion changes to iOS implemented under-the-hood between iOS 6 and iOS7. New frameworks, changes to old frameworks, new permissions, new this, new that, and oh: 64 bit. This was not just a cosmetic, My Little Pony makeover. Things have been hugely changed under-the-hood. And with the 5S the flash hardware itself has changed, with the color-correcting dual LEDs.

If one app breaks while another (perhaps a built-in one, as in this case) there is absolutely zero reason to blame the working app for the non-working app's misbehavior.

Contact the developer, if they're still in business and plan an update. Unfortunately, most of the flashlight apps were from one-off, flash-in-the-pan (heh) developers.

Over the next week or two, expect a few "My favorite app broke!" posts. It's inevitable, but what's most striking is how most every one Just Works despite the big changes internal to iOS 7.

Bottom line: Removing the Control Center's LED toggle would not magically allow your out-of-date app to work again. Sorry.

bbfc
Sep 21, 2013, 09:56 AM

I doubt thats what has stopped the app from working. It sounds more likely that the app you are using hasn't been updated to work with iOS 7.

I fail to see how the inbuilt flashlight could stop an app from working.

Saintdistic
Sep 21, 2013, 10:15 AM
I am amazed at the nasty replies the OP has received.

The OP asked a very simple yes or no question.

He asked if the flashlight included with IOS 7 could be "disabled" that is all he asked. You guys write essays and drill him on why etc. show some class guys. Some of these post you'd see on the Android forums.

To the OP. I looked and it can't be disabled unless its hidden. I myself don't like I can't adjust the brightness.

darngooddesign
Sep 21, 2013, 10:23 AM
To be fair to the OP, their initial question was whether the built in flashlight could be disabled, not about a preinstalled app and Command (sic) Centers impact on it.

And I answered that you can't modify those things. Then the OP said it was an issue with his app. This means he knew all along there was a problem with an app due to a brand new OS version. Logic dictates if it's an app issue you should ask the dev first because none if us know which app he is using nor do we know how the new OS affects an app we know nothing about.

Daveoc64
Sep 21, 2013, 10:23 AM

Yes, but that doesn't stop the question being the wrong one!

If the OP asked for help with the specific App (they still haven't said which one it is), then they might have got a solution to their actual problem, rather than to a problem that they think exists.

He asked if the flashlight included with IOS 7 could be "disabled" that is all he asked.

The answer to that question won't help the OP. The new flashlight feature does not disable or interfere with third party flashlight apps.

verwon
Sep 21, 2013, 10:37 AM
What is going on here!?

A perfectly sensible suggestion...here!?

Really, if you keep this up you're going to ruin it for those who can't figure this stuff out and need apps to disappear rather than just ignoring them. :D

:rolleyes::p

(Readers please note...this is irony, a jest...I'm not criticizing bbfc's post, I am agreeing with it.)

People really need to knock this logic crap off, it freaking confuses everyone! :eek:

chrisaster
Sep 21, 2013, 12:00 PM
Without any snark. You can't edit what is in Command Center.

Wish this was possible - I would swap airplane mode for 3g/4g toggle. It's not like I use airplane mode on a daily basis!