PDA

View Full Version : What's YOUR best trick for battery life?

Legion103
Sep 21, 2013, 08:50 AM
I usually have Twitter, Messages, Phone running in the background, yet my phone drains pretty quickly...

Is there a way to longate my battery life on iOS 7?

Thanks

ElectronGuru
Sep 21, 2013, 10:30 AM
The best trick for keeping a battery healthy is unplugging power as soon as you hit 100%.

Tricks for elongating runtime on a given cell (as you've suggested) is about reducing load. Turn off as many antenna as you can, turn down screen brightness, and have as little going in the foreground and background as possible.

DowdyFick
Sep 21, 2013, 10:31 AM
Everyone on this forum is a battery expert.... Turn down brightness, use the phone.

TheRainKing
Sep 21, 2013, 10:34 AM
Disable location services
Screen brightness 1%

bandofbrothers
Sep 21, 2013, 10:38 AM
My top tip :

Turn off the battery % and enjoy your iPhone.

;)

pdqgp
Sep 21, 2013, 10:54 AM
I keep brightness to about 50%
Manual fetch of all emails
No background updates of apps (iOS7)
Minimize notifications to only apps I really need
basic stuff....

I can go from 5am to 1am without issues and barely coming close to draining my 4s.

And I am a heavy user of my phone.

tgmn
Sep 21, 2013, 11:01 AM
My top tip :

;)

This.

LearnIPhone
Sep 21, 2013, 11:22 AM
The best trick for keeping a battery healthy is unplugging power as soon as you hit 100%.

it doesn't work like this.

Ottoman1
Sep 21, 2013, 11:25 AM
My battery life is significantly less than prior to the upgrade.

I've turned off wallpaper movement, reduced brightness and turned off apps that I don't think need to run in the background.

I'm sure Apple will work on a solution quickly.

The new UI is growing on me for anyone keeping score. Shifting from the haters camp.

I wish this forum could have some balance in terms of positive and negative discussions.

ccmath
Sep 21, 2013, 11:26 AM
My iPhone's battery life suffers when I'm out of cell range (like all day at work). Otherwise, it's around 40% at the end of the day.

ElectronGuru
Sep 21, 2013, 05:00 PM
it doesn't work like this.

Sorry for the confusion, let me try again. There are three main things that reduce lithium ion cell life:

Number of cyces (500 is ideal)
Age since manufacter (they start to deteriorate before coming out of the factory)
Time spent away from ideal/storage voltage (4.0 volts)

Thereís not much to be done about cycles, its simply how much you need the device. Thereís nothing to be done about age, its simply how long youíve had it + how old it was when you bought it. But that last one can be helped. Lithium ion cells operate between about 3.0 and 4.2 volts. Depending on the nature of the particular chemestry and design of the device, 0% may be anywhere between 2.5v and 3.5v. 100% is 4.2v across most systems and chemestries. But all lithium ion cells prefer being around 4.0v most of the time. Above this voltage reduces cell life and below this voltage reduces cell life. Charging a cell to 4.1v instead of 4.2v, for example, can double the cellís life while only sacrificing about 10% of the cellís per charge runtime.

The problem is that Apple doesnít offer a Ďcharge to 4.0ví option, nor even the ability to know which % shown equals 4.0v. When you plug it in before a trip, it charges to 4.2. When you leave your iPad plugged in over the weekend, it charges to and stays at 4.2 for a weekend. When you leave your MacBook plugged for an entire month, it charges to and stays at 4.2 for an entire month. The more you do this, the sooner and farther your cell's capacity will fall. To reduce exposure to 4.2v, I unplug my devices as soon as they are charged. Natural use then reduces time above 4.0 and increases time near 4.0.

Damolee
Sep 21, 2013, 05:05 PM
Sorry for the confusion, let me try again. There are three main things that reduce lithium ion cell life:

Age since manufacter (they start to deteriorate before coming out of the factory)

Thereís not much to be done about cycles, its simply how much you need the device. Thereís nothing to be done about age, its simply how long youíve had it + how old it was when you bought it. But that last one can be helped. Lithium ion cells operate between about 3.0 and 4.2 volts. Depending on the nature of the particular chemestry and design of the device, 0% may be anywhere between 2.5v and 3.5v. 100% is 4.2v across most systems and chemestries. But all lithium ion cells prefer being around 4.0v most of the time. Above this voltage reduces cell life and below this voltage reduces cell life. Charging a cell to 4.1v instead of 4.2v, for example, can double the cellís life while only sacrificing about 10% of the cellís per charge runtime.

The problem is that Apple doesnít offer a Ďcharge to 4.0ví option, nor even the ability to know which % shown equals 4.0v. When you plug it in before a trip, it charges to 4.2. When you leave your iPad plugged in over the weekend, it charges to and stays at 4.2 for a weekend. When you leave your MacBook plugged for an entire month, it charges to and stays at 4.2 for an entire month. The more you do this, the sooner and farther your cell's capacity will fall. To reduce exposure to 4.2v, I unplug my devices as soon as they are charged. Natural use then reduces time above 4.0 and increases time near 4.0.

It's a strange one that, because I swear my battery will last the day longer if I let it charge for an extra 20 minutes after 100%.

Thanks for the info. My iP5 needs to last me until the 6 comes out, so I will follow your advice.

ElectronGuru
Sep 24, 2013, 11:13 AM
It's a strange one that, because I swear my battery will last the day longer if I let it charge for an extra 20 minutes after 100%.

Thanks for the info. My iP5 needs to last me until the 6 comes out, so I will follow your advice.

If we did what the battery most wanted, we'd never get any work done. So it's about finding a balance, what is reasonable for you that isn't to unhealthy for the battery.

One of the reasons apple recommends fully cycling the battery on occasion, is that the calibration may be off. If 100% on menu bar is not 100% of what the cells will take, then continuing to put in power, will yield more runtime - for the next cycle. But it also pushes the cells to a higher voltage, so 200 cycles later, it may not hold as much.

That said, the key strategy here is reducing the HOURS/DAYs kept at high or low voltage. If you're watching the MINUTES at these points, you're already way ahead of the game.

s2mikey
Sep 24, 2013, 12:29 PM

Tricks for elongating runtime on a given cell (as you've suggested) is about reducing load. Turn off as many antenna as you can, turn down screen brightness, and have as little going in the foreground and background as possible.

I want to believe this...but... its not always possible to do this. Most of us charge overnight or when the unit will be sitting idle for a while. I always thought Apple and probably others made "smarter" batteries that would be unaffected but being plugged for a long time.

So, its charge it to 100%...and then yank the plug right away? Hmmm....

qnssekr
Sep 24, 2013, 01:46 PM
My advice from experience is don't use your iPhone. Only way to save your battery life for now. I wish this was not the case.

matttye
Sep 24, 2013, 01:50 PM
Turn off background app refresh.

Waiting a few seconds for apps to load when I want to read something is infinitely better than my phone dying half way through the day!

gomoq13
Sep 24, 2013, 01:56 PM
Only enable 3G or LTE when necessary.

deep1
Sep 24, 2013, 01:58 PM
1.Disable background app refresh
2.Reduce motion -On
3. Static wallpaper

And 2 culprits which I have narrowed down from beta 1 to GM is turn off push notification of facebook messenger and sign out of facebook integration.

All other notifications are on, brightness auto and 50%, location on for main apps I need.

This is the setup I am using until apple patch it with next update, having a great battery life.

This is with about 35 mins calls with Bluetooth in car and rest is browsing on wifi.

pk7
Sep 24, 2013, 03:18 PM
Don't use a Dynamic Wallpaper, limit Background App Refresh, and on older devices, turn off Frequent Locations. Parallax seems to have no hit on my old 4S and my current 5s.

The 5s's (and possibly the 5's) battery can handle Frequent Locations it seems but if you turn on "improve maps" I've noticed that my battery goes down the drain.

As for charging habits. I leave my phone plugged in overnight. iOS gently discharges and charges the battery even when it's plugged in and showing 100%. I have never taken my devices off the charger as soon as they hit 100% and they still give me fantastic battery life for the life of the device.

Just charge it when you need to, don't worry about ruining anything. You won't.

gentlefury
Sep 24, 2013, 03:23 PM
Stop using your screen. It will last days!

Nyy8
Sep 24, 2013, 03:40 PM
Airplane Mode > WiFi ON. Perfect for no signal buildings like your school/work place :cool:

FelixDerKater
Sep 24, 2013, 03:42 PM
Insert the phone in a battery case. Problem solved...

Zaft
Sep 24, 2013, 03:50 PM
Don't use the phone unless I really need it

OldSchoolMacGuy
Sep 24, 2013, 03:54 PM

This doesn't matter. The firmware automatically cycles it up and down after hitting 100%. It has no ill affects on the phones battery life. This may have caused issues with charging systems years ago but not for a long time and certainly not with lithium-polymer batteries used today.

octatonic
Sep 24, 2013, 03:59 PM
Quitting apps properly, not just exiting them.
Makes a huge difference with GPS apps, Apple Maps, Google Maps etc.

BenTrovato
Sep 24, 2013, 04:15 PM
My best trick is going into notification center and removing as many items as possible. Once that is complete, go into your list, into each item, and make sure that even though it is not in notification center, all the switches are toggled to off. Sometimes apps that are not included in notification center are taking up battery. I haven't figured out if iOS 7 fixed this feature yet but it made a big difference in 6 so I just make sure of that from now on.

Also, I'll toss in one for the battery itself. I don't care to argue with people about how the device "cycles" when at 100%. So if you want to keep it plugged in, go ahead - I won't say you're wrong. However, I unplug mine right away. When I leave it plugged in, my device stays warm. If you want to argue that heat prolongs the life of electronics, that's your call! :)

Glockcubed
Sep 24, 2013, 04:22 PM
My top tip :

;)

bandofbrothers - absolutely correct

ELSELS
Sep 24, 2013, 04:40 PM
Quitting apps properly, not just existing them.
Makes a huge difference with GPS apps, Apple Maps, Google Maps etc.

Hello:

Could/Would you please explain the "Procedure/Method" you mean, for properly "(REALLY)" Quitting the APPS? :)

Thanks,

Have a nice day...

Ed

jr866gooner
Sep 24, 2013, 04:44 PM
My top tip :

;)

Agreed, used to watch my galaxy S2 plummet daily.. I thought I'd miss the percentage but I actually don't!

C DM
Sep 24, 2013, 04:51 PM
My best trick is going into notification center and removing as many items as possible. Once that is complete, go into your list, into each item, and make sure that even though it is not in notification center, all the switches are toggled to off. Sometimes apps that are not included in notification center are taking up battery. I haven't figured out if iOS 7 fixed this feature yet but it made a big difference in 6 so I just make sure of that from now on.

Also, I'll toss in one for the battery itself. I don't care to argue with people about how the device "cycles" when at 100%. So if you want to keep it plugged in, go ahead - I won't say you're wrong. However, I unplug mine right away. When I leave it plugged in, my device stays warm. If you want to argue that heat prolongs the life of electronics, that's your call! :)If your device gets/stays warm when you are fully charged, that's likely an issue of some sort, either with the charger, the cord, and/or the device itself.

C DM
Sep 24, 2013, 05:10 PM
My top tip :

;)In theory, that kind of works, in the sense that it makes you think about the problem less or perhaps even slower to realize that you might have one. But it doesn't actually make it work better or worse. ;)

The other downside with that approach (and a good part of the reason why I personally keep on coming back to using the %) is that once you are under 20% you have a hard time really knowing how much time you might have left to use your phone (and what you can really use it for). Sure, there are 20% and 10% reminders, but even with those when you are at 8% it's still different than when you are at 2% and you can have a hard time really knowing which is which without the actual number. Sure, perhaps it doesn't matter to a lot of people and/or a lot of the time, but when it might make a difference it's often a difference that can be important.

abshole765
Sep 24, 2013, 05:17 PM
My best trick is to charge my phone, and them immediately turn it off.

Believe it or not it saves all the battery.

betabeta
Sep 24, 2013, 05:20 PM
I get a nice boost by turning off frequent locations, I think it depends on your signal strength and how much you travel around, but it really helps me to have that OFF.

Tamagotchi
Sep 24, 2013, 05:51 PM
Didn't upgrade... :D

Ok, honest answer here: having tested all the betas, you should disable background app refresh and anything that pinpoints your location. Still, battery life will still suck, but atleast you'll make it better :D

sbailey4
Sep 24, 2013, 06:48 PM
Leave plugged in at least an 1-1.5 hours after it shows 100% will yield longer per charge time as the phone fast charges then goes to trickle after its "full".
Anyway here is a good write-up that I saw and I had pretty much already utilized most of these tips. Of course some you may not want depending on how you use your device. I always have system services off and iOS7 the background refresh is only weather. Standard turn off locations and notifications you don't really need. Anyway take a look. good info here

http://www.zdnet.com/how-to-improve-your-iphones-battery-life-updated-for-ios7-7000014902/#photo

Appler4
Sep 24, 2013, 06:53 PM

Honestly this isn't true. iPhones carry lithium ion batteries, this myth has been mistaken as true so many times, but lithium ion batteries can stand 3 days on the charger before damaging the battery.

C DM
Sep 24, 2013, 06:57 PM
Leave plugged in at least an 1-1.5 hours after it shows 100% will yield longer per charge time as the phone fast charges then goes to trickle after its "full".
Anyway here is a good write-up that I saw and I had pretty much already utilized most of these tips. Of course some you may not want depending on how you use your device. I always have system services off and iOS7 the background refresh is only weather. Standard turn off locations and notifications you don't really need. Anyway take a look. good info here

http://www.zdnet.com/how-to-improve-your-iphones-battery-life-updated-for-ios7-7000014902/#photoThat's not really true either. While it might still have a bit to charge in that last 100%, it certainly isn't something that takes even close to 1 hour, nor is it an amount of charge that will result any real noticeable lengthening of ("per-charge") battery life.

benji888
Sep 24, 2013, 07:11 PM

MYTH

Ever notice that your power plug gets warm while charging, but not warm when 100% or unplugged? That's because it is regulated. When it reaches a full charge, it goes into a trickle-charge mode. It makes no difference to battery health or longer life with this function along with Lithium Ion battery in iPhones.

So, this is a myth, carried over from electronics that had old Ni-Cad batteries, and "dumb" charging that needed to stay plugged in until fully charged and get unplugged once charged.

JorgeLomeli
Sep 24, 2013, 07:13 PM
my best trick:

http://i42.tinypic.com/why9vs.jpg

MEJHarrison
Sep 24, 2013, 07:39 PM
I don't use any tricks. I don't see the point in purchasing the smart phone, then turning off everything that makes it smart in the first place.

I use it and charge it when it needs it. If that means charging it twice a day (I don't), so what. It can charge while I sit at my desk. And while I know that's not the best for the battery, I'm not really keeping this phone long enough to have it be an issue. I'll be upgrading next year. So yeah, I pretty much keep it all turned on unless it's something I don't need and won't need or a security issue. But I leave bluetooth on, location services, keep my screen at a brightness that pleases me and so on.

About the only things I do turn off are for individual apps (No, you may NOT send me push notifications, no you may NOT have access to the microphone, no, you may NOT access my photos, etc). But that's because I don't want those apps accessing those services, not to save battery.

Anti-Lucifer
Sep 24, 2013, 07:54 PM
To preserve battery, these are my favorite tricks:

1) Turn off wifi
2) Turn off 3G/LTE
3) Turn brightness down to 0 and don't use auto brightness
4) Turn off all parallax and do not use live wallpaper
5) Turn off dynamic update/auto update apps/notifications
6) Turn off background app refresh
7) Don't use any GPS apps at all
8) Don't make phones calls on the iPhone
9) Do not facetime or iMessage period
10) Don't use any apps

iPhone should last nearly 24 hours this way! You're welcome!

Zerilos
Sep 24, 2013, 08:01 PM
Turn off background updates (it only takes a second to update website the old way),
Only use location services on the app you really need it for
Reduce motion
Set brightness to 40%

Sital
Sep 24, 2013, 08:03 PM
I just use my phone the way I want.

I have wifi and bluetooth always on and so far I have kept parallax and background app refresh on. I limit push notifications and location services only to apps that absolutely need them. So far my battery lasts the entire day and overnight, but I am by no means a power user. When I installed iOS 7 I did restore and setup as new without using a backup - just iCloud for mail, calendar and contacts.

Richardgm
Sep 24, 2013, 09:04 PM
1. Turn off Location Services (or leave it on for must have apps).
2. Turn off Cellular Data when not using it.
3. Turn off Auto Brightness (adjust brightness to low).
5. Turn off Parallax.

iAlphard
Sep 24, 2013, 09:26 PM
MYTH

Ever notice that your power plug gets warm while charging, but not warm when 100% or unplugged? That's because it is regulated. When it reaches a full charge, it goes into a trickle-charge mode. It makes no difference to battery health or longer life with this function along with Lithium Ion battery in iPhones.

So, this is a myth, carried over from electronics that had old Ni-Cad batteries, and "dumb" charging that needed to stay plugged in until fully charged and get unplugged once charged.

What he said is actually true. Read it here,
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_lithium_ion_batteries

There is also article about how to prolong lith ion battery life.

dragonjinse
Sep 24, 2013, 09:44 PM
I did a hard reset 2 days ago without restoring it.
And I can see the battery life improve!

kaielement
Sep 24, 2013, 10:23 PM
MYTH

This is true if using a proper charger. The problem is so many people go on ebay or amazon and by made in China junk that doesn't do that just to save a few bucks. I have seen this a lot. I hear people say why pay 20-30 dollars when I can go online and buy a cheaper one. It is really sad how much people don't know then blame the phone lol.

DollaTwentyFive
Sep 24, 2013, 10:51 PM

1) Turn off wifi
2) Turn off 3G/LTE
10) Don't use any apps

What's the point? No internet, no cellular = no data. Dim screen. No email. No GPS. No calls.

Might as well buy a dumb phone. . . . Oh. I see what you did there. :D

FFF84
Sep 24, 2013, 10:57 PM
Turn off Cellular Data when WIFI is available.

mavis
Sep 25, 2013, 02:29 AM
My top tip :

;)

Works wonders, doesn't it?

hafr
Sep 25, 2013, 03:33 AM

I've got two iPod touch, 4th gen, that I bought at the same time. One has been in a dock since I bought it, always on, used pretty much daily. The other was used by my wife, no more than a few hours per week, never being charged even overnight, and almost never hitting 0 %. We went on holidays earlier this year and brought both (I never bring smartphones on holidays, I get too distracted and the kids suffer, but I still want to play games and such in the evenings ;)).

The one that had been in the dock kept a charge a lot better than the wife's.

I've got an MBP, bought in 2011, that is plugged in pretty much 24/7 and used as a desktop computer. It still lasts me a full working day (about six hours) in the library when I need to do research. 93 % battery health after 283 cycles according to CoconutBattery.

My old, trusty 3GS still has (according to iBackupBot) 90 % battery health (1081/1200) after 542 cycles, and I've always charged it overnight, and kept it in the charger when I'm at the desk.

I might be lucky, but in case it really was that bad to charge the phone overnight, wouldn't Apple advise against it?

----------

That's not really true either. While it might still have a bit to charge in that last 100%, it certainly isn't something that takes even close to 1 hour, nor is it an amount of charge that will result any real noticeable lengthening of ("per-charge") battery life.

According to iOS 6 (that still had the plug), it took about 20 minutes to charge to full after hitting 100 %. Doing this increases the time it takes for the meter to hit 99 % after taking it off the charger, so even if it doesn't make a huge difference at the end of the day, it's definitely something that can make one believe that it does.

recklesslife85
Sep 25, 2013, 03:36 AM
I usually have Twitter, Messages, Phone running in the background, yet my phone drains pretty quickly...

Is there a way to longate my battery life on iOS 7?

Thanks

Best trick is not to use the phone. No better battery life trick. Being serious, just use the phone and charge it when your near a mains even if its at 60% or more it doesn't matter.

sbailey4
Sep 25, 2013, 04:43 PM
That's not really true either. While it might still have a bit to charge in that last 100%, it certainly isn't something that takes even close to 1 hour, nor is it an amount of charge that will result any real noticeable lengthening of ("per-charge") battery life.

Well I challenge you to do the test. Charge to 100% then immediately unplug and see how long it takes to drop to 99 or less (just use standby to be fair). The do as I mentioned and try again. It will last longer if you allow it to stay on charge for a while longer past 100%. Some of those battery utilities will show you this as a visual (yeah yeah I know those things don't improve battery or make battery better etc etc.) But honestly you can see a difference if you leave it on a bit after 100% to fully charge it.

C DM
Sep 25, 2013, 05:44 PM
Well I challenge you to do the test. Charge to 100% then immediately unplug and see how long it takes to drop to 99 or less (just use standby to be fair). The do as I mentioned and try again. It will last longer if you allow it to stay on charge for a while longer past 100%. Some of those battery utilities will show you this as a visual (yeah yeah I know those things don't improve battery or make battery better etc etc.) But honestly you can see a difference if you leave it on a bit after 100% to fully charge it.That's not really a test of much given that battery percentage is an estimate/approximation based on voltage and can be fluctuate even more between small percentage changes. A better measure (although still not exact as it can differ under different circumstances) is to unplug as soon as you get to 100% and use it that day until it dies vs. unplugging it some time after it hits 100% and using it the same way that day until it dies. All things being pretty much equal (although they never really are) it's not likely you will notice a meaningful difference, at least not really one that would be worthy of you worrying about unplugging it right after it hit 100% or some time later every time you charge the phone.

iMas70
Sep 25, 2013, 08:40 PM
I plug my phone in a lot. It's just a normal way of life. When I get in the car I plug it in. When I get home, I also plug it in. I try to keep the battery as close to 100% as possible so those times when I am away from a way to change it, I'll haven enough. But now, with the chargers being smaller than years ago, I carry a wall charger in my car. So if I really need to, I can just toss that and a cable in my pocket. There is always and outlet somewhere (unless your in the woods).

OneMike
Sep 25, 2013, 08:51 PM
Minimize apps running that are not being used.

ajay96
Sep 25, 2013, 09:10 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/26/panu6ujy.jpg

Used safari for a few mins, constant twitter refreshing, 3G always on with wifi for a half of the standby time. All on a 4S. I'm very pleased.

jredecop
Sep 25, 2013, 09:33 PM
my top tip :

Turn off the battery % and enjoy your iphone.

;)
👍

sbailey4
Sep 25, 2013, 09:44 PM
Image (http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/26/panu6ujy.jpg)

Used safari for a few mins, constant twitter refreshing, 3G always on with wifi for a half of the standby time. All on a 4S. I'm very pleased.

Something a little fishy here. Why is there a 1 on the battery switch? Seems that may have been in a beta?

wepiii
Sep 25, 2013, 09:47 PM
I'm pretty happy with mine.

Background refresh off except Navigation Apps

Privacy/Location Services - Off for apps I don't need using GPS

Privacy/Location Services/ System Services - All off

Spotlight - All off

Notification Center - Only what I actually need in NC, everything else all off.

Everything else on...

Oui
Sep 25, 2013, 09:48 PM

Absolute false information here.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Carlanga
Sep 25, 2013, 09:55 PM
location services and any backgrounding... brightness down also helps a good chunk

----------

This is not the 90s, you are wrong. Battery composition has changed, the more plugged in the better for capacity hold throughout the years. ;) For someone that calls themselves ElectronGuru I'm disappointed.

sunking101
Sep 25, 2013, 10:14 PM

1) Turn off wifi
2) Turn off 3G/LTE
10) Don't use any apps

You forgot to engage airplane mode too :-)

Blorzoga
Sep 25, 2013, 10:17 PM

Unplugging at 100% has zero to do with (e)longating battery life.

Cayennr
Sep 25, 2013, 10:21 PM
Not leaving Skype or Google Maps running in the background, disabling parallax effect, removing unnecessary items from notification center, allowing only few apps to use location services. I get around 5 hours usage and around 15 hours standby on my iPhone 5, 3G and Wi-Fi, no LTE coverage where I live. Using for browsing the net, messaging, email, phone, reading. No gaming.

dragonjinse
Sep 25, 2013, 11:21 PM
Well I challenge you to do the test. Charge to 100% then immediately unplug and see how long it takes to drop to 99 or less (just use standby to be fair). The do as I mentioned and try again. It will last longer if you allow it to stay on charge for a while longer past 100%. Some of those battery utilities will show you this as a visual (yeah yeah I know those things don't improve battery or make battery better etc etc.) But honestly you can see a difference if you leave it on a bit after 100% to fully charge it.

I agree with this! Do it so many times!

R.Stoychev
Sep 26, 2013, 12:12 AM
My top tip :

;)

The best tip I have ever read around here :) Thats right people should use their phones, not doing stupit things for 20 more min battery life :D

dekadent
Sep 26, 2013, 12:25 AM
Something a little fishy here. Why is there a 1 on the battery switch? Seems that may have been in a beta?

Very fishy indeed. Settings -> General -> Accessibility -> On/Off Labels

C DM
Sep 26, 2013, 03:40 AM
The best tip I have ever read around here :) Thats right people should use their phones, not doing stupit things for 20 more min battery life :DSometimes some of those things are not that stupid. Sometimes there is actually something that could be eating away at battery life quite a bit for some. Ignoring the issue won't get it resolved.

inselstudent
Sep 26, 2013, 04:00 AM

Don't think so. My iPhone 4, which I charged each night for roughly 6-11 hours was still perfect even after nearly 30 months of usage. Capacity was at 90% when I sold it a few days ago (that's what I describe as perfect anyway)

Tips for battery life:
Turn off services you don't use (location based stuff, Siri, refresh in background, Bluetooth)

Keep the light as low as it's still comfortable to use

And I also keep wifi on all the time, but it may be wiser in your case to turn it off if not needed or if you don't have wifi available anyway

isprocket
Sep 26, 2013, 04:37 AM
Each ios upgrade, each new phone Apple comes out with, this conversation about battery life is being talked about. Currently there may be two or three other threads about this same problem of battery life.
Apple, if your listening, put an end to the need for this reoccurring discussion by FIXING IT. Give us a bigger battery or a better operating system next time.
Apple's mission statement has always been focused on the "experience" of Apple product ownership. This is not the experience we hoped for.

matt larsson
Sep 26, 2013, 04:57 AM
This is the battery drain fix for 4s on ios 7

Network setting and sett it on manual instead of defult automatic net search .
Valaaaaa ....
There u go .
Enjoy this fix and pls let me know .

ajay96
Sep 26, 2013, 06:02 AM

I have the on off labels turned on

stepandy
Sep 26, 2013, 06:25 AM
My iPhone's 5 battery under iOs 7 improved quite considerably compared to iOs6.

Under 6, battery would barely last 8-10 hrs whereas under 7 it would go 24 and the some.

I am not using my phone any differently after the update.

Go figure
:confused:

DeLoMan
Sep 26, 2013, 06:32 AM
http://m.kiss107.com/articles/tech-news-478321/4-ways-to-increase-your-battery-11668330/

This seems to help:

"Now that you've installed iOS 7 with all of its new bells and whistles, you realize that new features come at a price - battery life. There is an extremely noticeable decrease in battery life based on consistent running of background processes.

To help you with having the newest software, and still having good battery life - we've put together 4 things you can do to help increase your battery life.

1) Disable Background Motion

The dynamic wallpapers and 3D parallax in iOS 7 are extremely visual effects, but also are very big battery killers. If you are willing to give us these two new effects, you will be on your way to a more efficient battery life.

Disable this by going into Settings > General > Accessibility > Reduce Motion

2) Stop Location Based Services

Almost every app you install will request access to your location. This along side location tracking, the compass, along with iAds for local advertisement placement all use the GPS to determine your location. They all also cause a decrease in battery life. Turning these features off, will make sure your phone isn't always trying to determine your location.

This is how you stop location based services: Settings > Privacy > Location Services > System Services

Make sure Location-Based iAds, Popular Near Me, Compass Calibration, Diagnostics & Usage, and Traffic is turned off.

3) Background Application Refresh

In iOS 7 comes the addition of background application refresh, this allows some of your apps to automatically update themselves with you are not using them. It's a great feature if you hate updating your apps, but also causes your phone to always be pinging the app store to search for new updates. If you are willing to give up this feature you will increase your battery life.

Turn off this feature here: Settings > General > Background App Refresh

4) Disable AirDrop

AirDrop is the new file sharing option for iOS 7. It allows you to instantly drop files between any other iPhone 5, 5C, or 5S running iOS 7. While it is a handy feature, it is consistently looking for other devices that could be around you. This causes a much higher usage of your phone and battery.

Disable this feature open up the control center by swiping up from the bottom of your screen, click AirDrop, and then Off."

rcancill
Sep 26, 2013, 08:38 AM
Battery life is just one more indicator in iOS 7 that Steve Jobs is dead and Apple is now run by total incompetent morons! Any more updates like iOS 7 and I'm headed back to Microsoft! From 24 hour charges to zero battery in under 8 hours with a Mophi???? No way to enjoy that!. You must keep your phone plugged in!

My top tip :

;)

wfoster
Sep 26, 2013, 08:45 AM
You have a few options:

Don't use it
Sell your iPhone and buy a Nokia 3310i
Don't use it

sunking101
Sep 26, 2013, 08:45 AM
Battery life is just one more indicator in iOS 7 that Steve Jobs is dead and Apple is now run by total incompetent morons! Any more updates like iOS 7 and I'm headed back to Microsoft! From 24 hour charges to zero battery in under 8 hours with a Mophi???? No way to enjoy that!. You must keep your phone plugged in!

I just don't understand all these posts from iOS7 users who are happy with their battery performance. Like you, I am experiencing the worst drain of ANY iOS update - and then some. It's like someone swapped my three month old battery for a five year old one whilst I was asleep. Silence from Apple as always, we don't even know if they're aware of the problem let alone working on a fix!!

C DM
Sep 26, 2013, 09:39 AM
I just don't understand all these posts from iOS7 users who are happy with their battery performance. Like you, I am experiencing the worst drain of ANY iOS update - and then some. It's like someone swapped my three month old battery for a five year old one whilst I was asleep. Silence from Apple as always, we don't even know if they're aware of the problem let alone working on a fix!!The issue isn't a widespread one which usually means it's something more likely related to various people's installs, configurations, and/or devices (rather than some actual bug or issue that Apple needs to address).

sbailey4
Sep 27, 2013, 07:34 AM
I have the on off labels turned on

Well DUH. Sorry I totally missed that one.

----------

Very fishy indeed. Settings -> General -> Accessibility -> On/Off Labels

Yeah I realize that now. My bad!

sunking101
Sep 27, 2013, 07:45 AM
The issue isn't a widespread one which usually means it's something more likely related to various people's installs, configurations, and/or devices (rather than some actual bug or issue that Apple needs to address).

Seems pretty widespread on the iPhone 5 to me. Clean installs, switching off all heavy drain settings and doing this numerous times has had no effect whatsoever. Same with my family and friends. It's only people on the internet who don't seem to be experiencing this problem and we can't all have defective devices if they worked perfectly prior to the installation of iOS7.

Ottoman1
Sep 27, 2013, 08:17 AM
The battery drain issue is real. A simple google search will show you.

For example:

http://www.abcactionnews.com/dpp/money/consumer/dont_waste_your_money/apple-appl-ios-7-battery-drain-how-to-fix-it1380196142251

sunking101
Sep 27, 2013, 08:25 AM

For example:

http://www.abcactionnews.com/dpp/money/consumer/dont_waste_your_money/apple-appl-ios-7-battery-drain-how-to-fix-it1380196142251

Indeed. It would seem that the best 'trick' for battery life is to stay on iOS6 or if you're unlucky enough to have upgraded already, then the best trick is to hope that Apple fix it.

I can't believe that they rushed out a 'fix' for the stupid passlock like it was some kind of priority!

C DM
Sep 27, 2013, 09:04 AM
Seems pretty widespread on the iPhone 5 to me. Clean installs, switching off all heavy drain settings and doing this numerous times has had no effect whatsoever. Same with my family and friends. It's only people on the internet who don't seem to be experiencing this problem and we can't all have defective devices if they worked perfectly prior to the installation of iOS7.And it's the other way around in my experience where my devices and those of my family members and friends don't seem to be experiencing anything noticeable and only some posts on the internet (which happen with practically every update) talk about them.

If this was an actual widespread probes there would actually be way more threads like this one with way more people posting in them. That alone is a good indicator of something at least possibly being widespread or not.

----------

For example:

http://www.abcactionnews.com/dpp/money/consumer/dont_waste_your_money/apple-appl-ios-7-battery-drain-how-to-fix-it1380196142251It would be much much more talked about and reported if it was truly widespread. Threads here and there and even some articles are almost always there with any update actually, it's nothing new and certainly isn't widespread with most of those updates yet some threads and articles exist for most of them.

AJ007
Sep 27, 2013, 09:17 AM
I have both a 5 and new 5S(both on iOS7). I find after testing 4g/LTE wifi on/off settings do seem to make a difference only because of what I believe the root of the problem to be. The all new re-vamped locations services and notification center constantly pounding your antennas. I turned off every thing in notifications center and turned off everything in location services and it seems to give slightly better battery life. But I do believe there to be a problem with iphone 5/5S, the 4's and 4S people I know don't seem to have as many problems.

Knockoutjosie
Sep 27, 2013, 09:46 AM
Do you guys think Parallex affects iphone 5s battery?

MacMan988
Sep 27, 2013, 10:00 AM
I keep my phone plugged in most of the time...

Mabus51
Sep 27, 2013, 12:11 PM
I feel like I'm using one of the older Droids now with iOS 7. Battery drain is insane. I've used my phone for 27 minutes and my battery is already at 90%. All I've done was answer a couple txt messages and listened to about 3 maybe 4 songs that are on the device, not Pandora or iTunes Radio. I can't make it thru an 8 hour day now without recharging. I used to be able to go a full day with ease. Now I bring a charging cable to work. :mad:

iPhone 5 iOS 7
Restored as new device, reset factory defaults
Bluetooth off, Location Services off except for Maps & Siri, Background Data off, Parallax effect off, LTE off, WiFi off, AutoUpdates off, AutoBrightness off. Mail is set to manual. Phone is 3 months old battery condition is good.

aepple
Sep 27, 2013, 12:16 PM
Just turn off the Battery Drains you don't use, if you don't use it, you won't miss it.

Maagus
Sep 27, 2013, 12:30 PM
It is definitely a bug. To people saying that it is caused by "using the phone more because of the new OS", that "it is normal for a smartphone" etc.: no it is not.

The battery percentage/usage ratio (as calculated by the phone itself not by some random estimates) is in iOS 7 MUCH lower than in iOS 6. Despite the fact that all iOS 7-only features are disabled.

There is definitely some bug plaguing some of the iPhones. Four hours of usage is the maximum I get with low brightness and nearly everything off (location services, background refresh, parallax etc). Again, this is not normal.

I am going to take my iPhone 5 to Apple next week.

hafr
Sep 27, 2013, 12:33 PM

Probably, but I still get over nine hours of on screen wifi action on my iPhone 5 with it activated.

Mabus51
Sep 27, 2013, 01:09 PM
Probably, but I still get over nine hours of on screen wifi action on my iPhone 5 with it activated.

How??? My iPhone 5 can't make it past 4.5 hours on standby with iOS 7 :mad:

ajay96
Sep 27, 2013, 01:16 PM
Well DUH. Sorry I totally missed that one.

----------

Yeah I realize that now. My bad!

Haha that's fine.

s2mikey
Sep 27, 2013, 01:27 PM
Still seems to me like this issue affects random people with various devices. If it was truly widespread then just about everyone would be freaking out. But, for many of us the battery use stayed the same or is trivially shorter. Most of that is due to the parallax and 3D effects which can be easily turned off.

I would also gues that there is some quality control differences with each battery in each device so some of us probably got "better ones" from the factory than others.

hafr
Sep 27, 2013, 01:37 PM
How??? My iPhone 5 can't make it past 4.5 hours on standby with iOS 7 :mad:

Replacement phone due to battery issues related in part to iOS 7 did the trick for me...

nefan65
Sep 27, 2013, 01:40 PM
I keep mine off all day, and turn it on each night at 10:00PM, look at if for 5 minutes, and then turn it right back off again. I get a month out of it, easy...

pear21
Sep 27, 2013, 01:43 PM
It is very simple dont use the phone you will have tons of battery life...haha.

For real i just have the brightness somewhat low, I keep bluetooth off and it usually last pretty good on my 5. I dont go through and close my apps very often, I dont think that helps increase the battery by much.

Ell2Cool
Sep 27, 2013, 02:47 PM
I've just notified something that's happening on my 5s pretty sure it's more to do with iOS 7 but its only a guess.

To all who have had poor battery life (mine has been particularly shocking today) do any of you have items in your passbook? I had an iTunes festival pass in it and noticed whenever I was at the lock screen passbook would be constantly using location services so see if I was close to the venue so it cold pop up with my ticket.

I've now switched off passbook location services and it doesn't show up that its being used anymore from the lock screen. I could of course just delete the ticket but I hardly use passbook anyway and I wanna keep it as a momento :)

I'll report back in a day or so.....

TimeLord517
Sep 27, 2013, 03:10 PM
My battery life (on an iPhone 5) SUCKED after installing iOS 7. My battery life is AWESOME now that I took my 2 exchange / active sync accounts (Gmail, and corporate) and set them to "fetch" every 15 minutes instead of "push." Can't believe that iOS 7 is apparently so bad at "push" e-mail accounts? I never had a battery life problem with the same accounts set to push in iOS 6...

Stuke00
Sep 27, 2013, 03:11 PM
I don't need a trick. I am 110% happy with the battery life on my phone just how it is.

cdd543
Sep 27, 2013, 03:25 PM
My battery life is essentially the same on my 5s as it was on the 5(last couple ios 7 betas). I find it pretty mediocre, but on par with the HTC one and gs4 I owned.

sunking101
Sep 27, 2013, 03:55 PM
I have done four clean installs and haven't used a backup. My email is set to fetch every 30 mins (when it was on fetch every 15 on iOS6) and aside from that EVERY setting is exactly how it was on iOS6. I have every single new iOS7 feature switched off......and yet still I only get 6 hours of battery usage *max*. On iOS6 I regularly achieved 9 hours+
This is a 3 month old iPhone5. Disgraceful!

appleii.c
Sep 27, 2013, 04:12 PM
iOS7 on my 4S is pretty good for me... now. When I initially installed it was a hog. Here are some of the settings I've tweaked:

Settings > General > Background App Refresh : Turn off almost all (left Maps, Reminders and Weather)

Settings > Privacy > Location Services : Again, turn off pretty much all of them.

Settings > Privacy > Location Services > (all the way at the bottom) System Services : All off for me.

Settings > Privacy > (all the way at the bottom) Advertising : Limit Ad Tracking

I have mail set to push (using iCloud which gets all my gmail pushed to), and i left Apps to Automatically Update... I love this feature.

Battery is pretty solid, about the same as iOS6. If I charge it to 100% overnight, I'll drop a percentage or two MAX in 8-9 hours. Phone lasts all day with decent charge at night (20%-40%) depending on my daily usage. Those Location/Privacy settings were eating up my battery.

----------

Not sure about the effect on Battery, but on my iPad 3 the dynamic background was causing some lag so I had to stick with the static backgrounds. I suppose all the parallax movements could somehow use more processor thus more drain on battery. Wont hurt to try.