PDA

View Full Version : iOS 7 running on iPad 3...lots of design features missing

rahul247rocks
Sep 21, 2013, 10:15 AM
Hi guys,
I just want to confirm and know why Apple didn't incorporate the semi transparent notifications area, color adaptive control center and other small design changes in iOS 7 final version for iPad 3. This is so sad. what do you think?

sundog925
Sep 21, 2013, 12:11 PM
tweet @timcook and ask him.

sandwicher
Sep 21, 2013, 12:15 PM
Hi guys,
I just want to confirm and know why Apple didn't incorporate the semi transparent notifications area, color adaptive control center and other small design changes in iOS 7 final version for iPad 3. This is so sad. what do you think?

Clearly Apple didn't want to compromise the experience on the iPad 3 by adding those features that may cripple the system.

Maybe they could have added, then your battery life would have sucked, and more lags, stutters and crashes. That'll be more sad isn't it?

poplars
Sep 21, 2013, 12:18 PM
I feel like that merely represents a lack of efficiency.

Certain screens on the ipad 3 are blurred and there is no lag, I hope that apple decides to implement this feature in an efficient way, or atleast give us a better looking alternative please......

rrares1996
Sep 21, 2013, 12:46 PM
Hi guys,

Did you install ios 7? cause it's just a waste of time, ios 6 on ipad 3 rocks:cool:

poplars
Sep 21, 2013, 01:11 PM
The ipad 3 is definitely powerful enough to run ios 7 smoothly when it becomes optimized....

stevemiller
Sep 21, 2013, 03:25 PM
I was initially disappointed that a large design component of iOS 7 is seemingly being withheld from the 3rd gen ipad.

One thing I realized, however, that accounts for why we see translucency in certain places but not others, has to do with whether the blurred area behind is dynamic or not. For example, the translucent dock, and the translucency that appears behind the home screen icons when multitasking, are always going to be static wallpaper elements. The GPU only has to calculate the blur once, and then slide things around overtop of it. By contrast, the notification centre and Control Center shades are able to slide down over arbitrary content (websites, running apps, etc). So the argument can be made that processing overhead was the deciding factor.

All that said, I have to question the use of such a heavy post processing effect (that it can't even run on 1-generation old hardware) as a fundamental aspect of the OS visual design. Personally, I think translucency and parallax everywhere aesthetic is going to become dated more quickly than the skeumorphism that everyone has been complaining about.

Wayfarer
Sep 21, 2013, 03:37 PM
Reminds me of when translucent menu bars were introduced in OS X 10.5 Leopard. I was so furious, because Apple dropped support for certain machines, so instead I was greeted with a boring solid grey menubar. :mad:I wrote feedback to Apple, to no avail. :mad:

dannyyankou
Sep 21, 2013, 03:38 PM
tweet @tim_cook and ask him.

Fixed :D