Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xeno78

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2013
[I apologise if this is posted in the wrong section, it is my first post]

So I have a 5th gen iPod touch, which I got last year. I really want the free iWork and iLife apps that come with new iDevices. My mom is getting an iPhone 5s next month. My question is that if I set up my mom's iPhone using my AppleID, will the iWork and iLife apps also be available for download on my old iPod?

Please answer ASAP. Thanks in advance :)

ziggie216

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
Do you and your mom plan to share the AppleID for purchasing all of the apps or keep the account separate?

nheilweil

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Redmond, WA
If you and mom want to always use the same Apple ID for your iTunes & App Store logins, you would both be able to share any music or apps with a single purchase. Lots of families do that for just that reason!

But you can't do it just to download a couple selective apps and then put her back to her own Apple ID. You have to choose one and stick with it or those apps will be deleted when you switch accounts.

One downside of sharing a single iTunes account is iTunes Radio, where you will share any stations that you create. So if mom creates a Smooth Jazz station, you'll end up with it on your iPhone as well.

BTW -- you probably know but even if you share an iTunes ID, mom can use her own separate Apple ID for iCloud login so that her email, contacts, calendar, PhotoStream, etc. are only for her.

johnmac59

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2010
Michigan
Yes, if you use the same Apple ID for your mom's iTunes & App Store login, you would both be able to have any music or apps with a single purchase. Lots of families so that for just that reason!

Thanks for the advice. I thought it was only free on newly purchased devices, but went to the App Store on my iPad and was just able to DL Pages/Keynote free.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.