PDA

View Full Version : Downloading in background - still 10 minutes system restrictions ?

PeterMac83
Sep 21, 2013, 10:38 AM
I have a question is still exist in iOS 7 restriction from Apple only 10 minutes downloading file in background, because I try to download file in different programs like iDownloader etc, and after 10 minutes of download file in background it stop itself, same situation if I lock screen.

PeterMac83
Sep 21, 2013, 11:52 AM
Nobody answer ?

WB2Colorado
Sep 21, 2013, 02:50 PM
The app probably hasn't been updated to take advantage of the new multitasking features in iOS 7.

PeterMac83
Sep 21, 2013, 03:04 PM
I also think that, so in iOS7 no more restrictions ?

Daveoc64
Sep 21, 2013, 03:05 PM
I have a question is still exist in iOS 7 restriction from Apple only 10 minutes downloading file in background, because I try to download file in different programs like iDownloader etc, and after 10 minutes of download file in background it stop itself, same situation if I lock screen.

Yes... but Apple no longer states the amount of time that an App can keep running.

Some Apps will run for less than 10 minutes

The app probably hasn't been updated to take advantage of the new multitasking features in iOS 7.

In terms of what the OP is describing, there aren't any changes to multitasking in iOS 7.0

PeterMac83
Sep 21, 2013, 03:12 PM
So now depends from app right ?

btw. do you know some downloader app which can run in background without this limit of time ?

Daveoc64
Sep 21, 2013, 03:20 PM
So now depends from app right ?

btw. do you know some downloader app which can run in background without this limit of time ?

No, because it's just not something Apple permits on iOS.

Since iOS 4, Apple has only allowed Multitasking in a limited capacity.

Some things like Audio in the background (e.g. Pandora or Spotify) or Voice Over IP - VOIP (like Skype or Viber) are allowed as long as the user is actively using them.

Other things, like downloads, aren't specifically permitted. Other types of App can ask iOS to let them keep running in the background when the user closes them, but when they do that, iOS will only let them run for a limited time - i.e. the 10 minute limit you've observed.

There's no way for developers to change that.

PeterMac83
Sep 21, 2013, 03:34 PM
Thank you for answer, so their multitasking is total useless for me :mad: I thought they change this in iOS7.