PDA

View Full Version : A call for Apple to separate the apps from the OS

Kurso
Sep 21, 2013, 12:28 PM
I love Apple. I love iOS. I love the iPhone. But I really need the integrated apps to progress faster.

There has been a lot of people calling for Apple to enable some form of 'default app' into iOS; similar to Windows, Android, and even OSX. The reason people call for this is that the Apple apps in the iPhone are not the good.

I for one don't want a 'default app'. I want better apps from Apple.

In particular the two functions I use the iPhone for the most (other than a phone) are calendar and mail. Before upgrading to iOS 7 I used Mailbox for mail and Tempo for calendar. They are both superior to Apples default apps in may ways. But I'm a minimalist. I don't want to install other apps to replace functions I get with my iPhone. I love the integrated experience of the iPhone but Apple is forcing me to break that integrated experience by making the apps I use the most inferior, forcing me to look elsewhere.

If I'm going to be forced into an disjointed experience I might as well just pick up an Android.

Apple needs to start treating these apps as distinct value adds beyond the OS itself. If they don't I'll be adding myself to the list calling for 'default app' capability.

Vetvito
Sep 21, 2013, 12:30 PM
BiteSMS as default without Jailbreak would be sweet.