PDA

View Full Version : Is iOS 7 on iPhone 5 terrible on the battery life?

DBZmusicboy01
Sep 21, 2013, 03:38 PM
Is it normal that with power saving settings I can only get around 7-8 hours ?

jkauff
Sep 21, 2013, 03:44 PM
My battery life is worse since the update. I've had enough of the animated wallpaper, though, so we'll see if turning that off helps. I think with the new UI I can also live with less brightness. WiFi, however, seems to have become a major drain.

Doublea6
Sep 21, 2013, 04:04 PM
Is that usage or standby? Because that's the most I've ever got with usage. I think my battery life has gotten better with ios 7, it's only when I use LTE that my battery suffers.

qnssekr
Sep 21, 2013, 04:32 PM
Should't we be able to get at least 8 hrs of mix use on iPhone? Isn't that what apple advertised? From my understanding the battery life is suppose to be better with ios7. When conserving my battery by shutting off most features I only get less than 6hs. I think thats pretty bad for a phone that is almost a year old.

DBZmusicboy01
Sep 21, 2013, 11:02 PM
I used to get 10 hours with ios 6
But with 7
I only get around 6 hours

KUguardgrl13
Sep 21, 2013, 11:23 PM
I used to get 10 hours with ios 6
But with 7
I only get around 6 hours

Yeah my battery life had gone down during weekend usage. It seemed normal during the week.

dictoresno
Sep 21, 2013, 11:24 PM
We already have a bunch of these threads already. And yes, battery life on 7 sucks.

kaielement
Sep 21, 2013, 11:27 PM
No difference on my end iPhone 5 but funny my signal in some places seems a tad better on AT&T or that could just be me.

Saileshbreaker
Sep 21, 2013, 11:39 PM
Battery life is so crap on the iPhone 5

Drunken Master
Sep 21, 2013, 11:49 PM
Yes, but I turned off some of the background app updating and it's been fine since.

daveghard
Sep 22, 2013, 08:05 AM
I thought that iOS 7 was made to be light and power efficient.....but its so terrible battery sucking...i restored to factory default, and turn off background updates seems it helps a bit

KPOM
Sep 22, 2013, 08:52 AM
The same thing happened last year. A bug fix made it better. I notice that the 5s seems to be holding up better than the 5 (both running on AT&T).

decafjava
Sep 22, 2013, 08:58 AM
Yea my iphone 5 is suffering with this update. But I love love love ios 7 though.

webitorgal
Sep 22, 2013, 09:07 AM
My battery life was fine for two days after the upgrade, but yesterday, I went from 60-something% down to 20-something% within an hour. I don't know what's going on! It's not like my phone is overheating!

AlterZgo
Sep 22, 2013, 09:13 AM
I had the same problem right after I upgraded my 5. I turned off all the obvious things like parallax effect, push email, location services, etc. but still had noticeably worse battery life than ios6. I would see 10% drops in battery life after only 30 minutes of use.

So I finally drained my battery completely - until phone dies and won't turn on, then recharged fully and that fixed the issue for me. I'm now at 2 days and 1 hour of standby with 2 1/2 hour usage and still at 51%. This is with wifi and bluetooth on as well.

Max(IT)
Sep 22, 2013, 09:16 AM
The same on every new iOS iteration: people noting worse battery life.
The problem in my opinion is people just playing around with new os features.

Said that, iOS 7 uses a new multitasking and a few new features that could affect battery life.

CTHarrryH
Sep 22, 2013, 09:20 AM
on my 4s so far is at least as good as on 6. I always have turned off a lot of lettings but run bluetooth all the time and live in a lousy carrier coverage area.

Who knows why some are fine and some are really bad.

RJCP
Sep 22, 2013, 09:25 AM
I'm getting much better battery life. Around 7, 8h of usage and 1 day of standby. This is 4G and WiFi browsing, Youtube and stuff.

I don't have app background refreshes on, though.

DollaTwentyFive
Sep 22, 2013, 09:41 AM
I have a Verizon iPhone 5 and am actually getting battery life that is just as good or better.

iapplelove
Sep 22, 2013, 10:00 AM
i have not noticed a drop in battery performance running gm ios7.

Zwhaler
Sep 22, 2013, 03:43 PM
The same on every new iOS iteration: people noting worse battery life.
The problem in my opinion is people just playing around with new os features.

Said that, iOS 7 uses a new multitasking and a few new features that could affect battery life.

My Ip4 gets a lot worse battery life in standby, but it did have some much needed bug fixes.

webitorgal
Sep 22, 2013, 04:08 PM
I've done a reset and the battery is STILL draining quickly - and I've disabled all "unnecessary" features, too.

luminouslight
Sep 22, 2013, 04:14 PM
Battery life seems to be good for me so far. Usually 7-8 hours usage. Thats with some light LTE use as well.

R4z3r
Sep 22, 2013, 04:17 PM
Battery life honestly seems better for me. On the full charge, I've so far had:

2 Hours, 48 Minutes usage with
8 hours, 21 minutes standby

yanki01
Sep 22, 2013, 04:23 PM
2nd cycle on iOS7 from a clean install.

Garyx24
Sep 28, 2013, 02:11 AM
http://i44.tinypic.com/2gsefbq.png

Lasted me a full day with GPS and taking pics. I also fetch with 2 email accounts and mostly use LTE

kot
Sep 28, 2013, 03:03 AM
I had no compaints about battery life when I was on 7.0 on my iPhone 5, but since upgrading to 7.0.2 my battery life is like halved. I don't want to restore the phone as new (too much to install and setup after) and what else to try I have no idea. Maybe a reboot.

masands
Sep 28, 2013, 06:43 AM
The battery life is better on cellular lasting the promised 8 hours of web browsing.

However, it is worse on WiFi getting the same 8 hours but less than 10 hours on iOS 6.

Anandtech noticed this too and the iPhone 5C which is the same as the iPhone 5 scores just 8.5 hrs in the Wifi browsing test, 2 hours less than the iPhone 5 with iOS 6.

If you are on Cellular most of the time, you won't notice a difference. Those on Wifi most of the time will notice.

So yes, battery life is worse and hopefully will be sorted in the next upgrade or too.

sunking101
Sep 28, 2013, 07:09 AM
My battery life has dropped 40% since installing iOS7. I've done four clean installs now, setting up as a new phone the past couple of times and there's still no improvement. I have every single battery saving option selected in settings. I have no idea why some people are reporting good battery life and yet mine is horrific.

----------

The battery life is better on cellular lasting the promised 8 hours of web browsing.

However, it is worse on WiFi getting the same 8 hours but less than 10 hours on iOS 6.

Anandtech noticed this too and the iPhone 5C which is the same as the iPhone 5 scores just 8.5 hrs in the Wifi browsing test, 2 hours less than the iPhone 5 with iOS 6.

If you are on Cellular most of the time, you won't notice a difference. Those on Wifi most of the time will notice.

So yes, battery life is worse and hopefully will be sorted in the next upgrade or too.

I only ever used to get 8.5 hours of WiFi browsing on iOS6 and on 3G that figure would be nearer 5 hours. On iOS7 I get 6 hours of WiFi browsing and 3.5 hours on 3G. Terrible!