PDA

View Full Version : Still no multiple users or turning off all notifications

cyks
Sep 21, 2013, 04:03 PM
Here we are with another iOS release and still no support for multiple users or even a quick and easy way of turning off all notifications temporarily. That seems crazy to me.

The commercials are quick to show children using the iPad to learn and play games and adults using them for business presentations... 2 things I would never consider doing until I could ensure that a text or email wouldn't pop up at the wrong time.

Sadly, it seems that Apple's answer to the problem is to simply buy more devices and use each for different things/ people.

nikicampos
Sep 21, 2013, 04:17 PM
Here we are with another iOS release and still no support for multiple users or even a quick and easy way of turning off all notifications temporarily. That seems crazy to me.

The commercials are quick to show children using the iPad to learn and play games and adults using them for business presentations... 2 things I would never consider doing until I could ensure that a text or email wouldn't pop up at the wrong time.

Well, I don't see how Apple can benefit from multi-user, the way I think Apple sees this is that every member of the family should own an iOS device.

And for the notifications, under DO NOT DISTURB there's a new option ALWAYS (that means even when the phone is unlocked) it doesn't show a banner, only the little red badge of the app that just received a notification.

Beyinsis
Sep 21, 2013, 04:25 PM
Well, I don't see how Apple can benefit from multi-user, the way I think Apple sees this is that every member of the family should own an iOS device.

I would like to don't let my little 5 years old daughter mix my home screen. I just bought her a cheap android tablet. Ipad is a so expensive toy for a little girl ( or my budget).

hafr
Sep 21, 2013, 05:14 PM

Of course Apple want to sell as many units as possible, but the simple fact is that purchasing multiple (or additional) units might be impossible due to budget restraints, or simply unrealistic expectations.

For instance, I wouldn't purchase an iPad, new or used, to my 2.5-year-old who likes playing with mine when the weather is bad during weekends, but I would appreciate (i.e., it would increase my brand loyalty - which is a very important goal for Apple) being able to letting her play with it without me constantly having to watch over her since she thinks it's hilarious to delete and rearrange the apps.

This is something that came to cellphones in the mid-90's, and disappeared with the smartphones. Pretty un-smart if you ask me... ;)

cyks
Sep 21, 2013, 05:15 PM

Often enough, people want to borrow my iDevices for something relatively quick and easy, but, since they don't support multiple users or offer any way to lock down the settings/ apps/ documents, I won't let them out of my sight.

My 7 year old niece has a cheap Andriod tablet. My sister would love to let her use their iPad, but they're not about to let her on it unrestricted. So, instead of having multiple users and locked-down settings (like practically any computer offers), she uses her own device and Google, not Apple, makes money from the apps on it.

And for the notifications, under DO NOT DISTURB there's a new option ALWAYS (that means even when the phone is unlocked) it doesn't show a banner, only the little red badge of the app that just received a notification.

Thanks for pointing out the 'Always' option, that's exactly what I was looking for.

qtx43
Sep 21, 2013, 05:24 PM
... being able to letting her play with it without me constantly having to watch over her since she thinks it's hilarious to delete and rearrange the apps.

This is something that came to cellphones in the mid-90's, and disappeared with the smartphones. Pretty un-smart if you ask me... ;)
Multiuser would be nice, but you can prevent her from deleting apps at least, under restrictions.

hafr
Sep 21, 2013, 06:39 PM
Multiuser would be nice, but you can prevent her from deleting apps at least, under restrictions.

That would be a workaround for that specific problem, just as simply not using the iPad for any kind of embarrassing web surfing would be a solution for curious fathers with kids a bit older than mine (or a wife which frowns upon "exploratory surfing"). There will always be a simple, but different, solution to each and every problem imaginable, personally I'd rather have a unique simple solution that takes care of all of these issues at once.

djtech42
Sep 21, 2013, 07:28 PM
Multiple users should definitely be an option on the iPad. Since iOS is built on top of OS X, it shouldn't be too difficult to implement. It doesn't make sense for iPhone, but it makes perfect sense for the iPad where multiple people might use it.

Max(IT)
Sep 21, 2013, 07:37 PM
Of course Apple want to sell as many units as possible, but the simple fact is that purchasing multiple (or additional) units might be impossible due to budget restraints, or simply unrealistic expectations.

For instance, I wouldn't purchase an iPad, new or used, to my 2.5-year-old who likes playing with mine when the weather is bad during weekends, but I would appreciate (i.e., it would increase my brand loyalty - which is a very important goal for Apple) being able to letting her play with it without me constantly having to watch over her since she thinks it's hilarious to delete and rearrange the apps.

Using restrictions you can prevent your child to install or delete any application ....

NT1440
Sep 21, 2013, 07:39 PM
Just put it on guided access and let the kid play with it, problem solved.

Personally I don't understand the idea of having multiple user accounts on a device like a tablet, I still deal with people day in and day out that can't figure out the difference between the 8 user accounts they created on their PC.

All it does is create more options to keep track of, something that my job tells me everyday most people aren't capable of handling, which is incredibly sad

cyks
Sep 21, 2013, 08:34 PM
Just put it on guided access and let the kid play with it, problem solved.

If anything, THAT would only cause more trouble and issues.

The last thing I'd want is to have to sign in, disable it, and turn it back on every time they wanted to change games/ apps.

Just because you don't see the need to have multiple user accounts on a tablet doesn't mean the rest of us don't.

Why is it so hard to grasp that sometimes I'd like to lend my iDevices to people for multiple reasons, but I'd prefer them not to have complete access to my email, contacts, and photos?

Be able to share an iDevice but not have to constantly change all settings for Facebook?

Not have to have 10+ email accounts listed if everyone in the family shares the same device?

Hell, even for just myself, I'd love to have 2 sign-ins... one for personal, one for my business.

3bs
Sep 21, 2013, 08:40 PM
That would be a workaround for that specific problem, just as simply not using the iPad for any kind of embarrassing web surfing would be a solution for curious fathers with kids a bit older than mine (or a wife which frowns upon "exploratory surfing"). There will always be a simple, but different, solution to each and every problem imaginable, personally I'd rather have a unique simple solution that takes care of all of these issues at once.

The "exploratory surfing" part cracked me up :p

charlituna
Sep 21, 2013, 08:42 PM

What seems crazy to me is folks complain about something being missing that Apple has never promised to include.

At least with the whole iTunes Extras on the Apple TV there is the alleged Steve email

cyks
Sep 21, 2013, 08:59 PM
What seems crazy to me is folks complain about something being missing that Apple has never promised to include.

At least with the whole iTunes Extras on the Apple TV there is the alleged Steve email

Funny, I thought the whole point of a discussion forum was to, oh, I don't know, discuss things... including features that we would like.

charlituna
Sep 22, 2013, 11:18 AM
Funny, I thought the whole point of a discussion forum was to, oh, I don't know, discuss things... including features that we would like.

Discussing a feature you would like is far different than the 'stupid Apple still hasn't' tone you took.