Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pullman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Friends

I'm running iOS 7 on a 4S and like it a lot. I do notice that there is a slight lag or "hestitation" generally. Everything takes a fraction of a sec longer. Not a really big deal and likely a result of the slower processor of this phone but I am wondering if there would be a way to reduce the lag - would a fresh install solve it (and how do I do that?) or is there anything else (apart from getting a more modern phone...)?

Cheers and TIA
Philip

munakib

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2011
No, the lag will be there even if you restore. I was on the beta program all the way upto GoldMaster and I had shared the same opinion that if you have a 4S, its better to stick to 6.1.3 because iOS7 does take the pleasure away from using the phone. Die-hard apple fanboys who cannot take a simple criticism/advice and instead blow steam. I am on an iPhone 5 now, still on 6.1.4, waiting impatiently for JB by winocm. Unfortunately for you, you cant downgrade to 6.1.3 now either as Apple stopped signing iOS6.

Yet many more 4s owners report the opposite. Giving 4s owners this advice is really irresponsible considering this is a beta.

After having iOS7 on my iPhone 4s for over the past week or so, I have decided to downgrade back to 6.1.3. The OS just kept on getting slower with time which could be due to all the new animations/multitasking features but I feel its not at all feasible for the 4s even after it crosses the beta finish line. This is apart from the random crashes of apps (ie. Skype/Contra)which is completely expected for a Beta.

My suggestion to all iPhone 4/4s users is to stick to 6.1.3 if you want the smoother experience on these devices or else upgrade to 5/5s.

prk60091

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2011
Been running ios since @ least beta5 on my 4s . Absolutely no lag. If anything the os feels zippier ( could be the animations) but this is a very good update for me. Obviously that is not your experience. Try reinstalling or resetting network settings.

pullman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Just to update. I reset to factory settings and all is now well. In fact, great. Even battery time is better. I really like iOS7.

Now I just need to figure out how to get my sms and imessages back from a backup i made before the reset.

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
Friends

I'm running iOS 7 on a 4S and like it a lot. I do notice that there is a slight lag or "hestitation" generally. Everything takes a fraction of a sec longer. Not a really big deal and likely a result of the slower processor of this phone but I am wondering if there would be a way to reduce the lag - would a fresh install solve it (and how do I do that?) or is there anything else (apart from getting a more modern phone...)?

Cheers and TIA
Philip

You should try running it on a 4. Hilarious!

MagicHAM

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2013
Australia
Runs fine on my Iphone 4. I actually treat my phone as a phone to make phone calls and text. Therefore it runs fine with iOS7.

Last edited:

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
There is a lag I notice too on my 4S. The battery life is also worse but I've employed all the tricks to try and make it better.

I've customized iOS 7 so it feels better to me and I like the fact I can have fewer folders because I can have more items in the folders helps. iOS 6 did not have this so that there is a big plus in iOS 7 for me.

Even if I could I would not go back because I like some of the things I see. But my wife is still on iOS 6 and won't change nor will I force her to change. iOS 6 works for her and that is what is important.

No, the lag will be there even if you restore. I was on the beta program all the way upto GoldMaster and I had shared the same opinion that if you have a 4S, its better to stick to 6.1.3 because iOS7 does take the pleasure away from using the phone. Die-hard apple fanboys who cannot take a simple criticism/advice and instead blow steam. I am on an iPhone 5 now, still on 6.1.4, waiting impatiently for JB by winocm. Unfortunately for you, you cant downgrade to 6.1.3 now either as Apple stopped signing iOS6.

Lytefall

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2013
I am running it on a 4s with no lag here. Only issues I have (and impatiently waiting for a resolution) is the iMessage and FaceTime problems

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.

iOS 7 runs just as good on the 4S as it does in the iPhone 5.

NitinNike

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2012
Friends

Cheers and TIA
Philip

Rather in my case I see no difference in animations between my iPhone 5 and my iPhone 4s(Except some minor lag after a reboot) . Even the camera is as fast as iPhone 5 daamn!!!. And I did ota on both of my devices
Of course the games on iPhone 5 runs smoother than 4s due to its processor. But then too I see no difference except that.

pmcjr

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2013
After installing ios7 on my 4S, I lost wifi (on/off toggle greyed out...nothing worked to fix it), things slowed down a bit, and battery drain was simply awful. After living with this for three weeks and trying numerous fixes, three days ago everything miraculously improved or fixed itself somehow. I'm making the assumption that the problems were interrelated and, correspondently, so was the magic fix.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles

Looks like reset all settings fixed the lag issue according to the OP. Did you ever try that with all the beta "testing" you did?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.