Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
And just think, the human brain does this all and more without even realizing it half the time...

It will be nice to see robots being able to move independently - but this is still a work in progress. Through work I've had practical experience with robots and 3D, and you basically have to still do a lot of work for them before they actually get it right.

Pretty cool though - even better if LEGO comes out with their own autonomous version - that would be slick.

D

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
Actually, humans can walk around even with sight in only one eye. I think the brain uses motion parallax to judge distance of objects in these cases.

The human body is an incredibly sophisticated thing. I doubt that humans will ever be able to duplicate much of its functionality.

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
Originally posted by cubist
The human body is an incredibly sophisticated thing. I doubt that humans will ever be able to duplicate much of its functionality.
The same applies to an amoeba....I mean, try telling the average mathematician that you have to divide in order to multiply! 1/2=2 :)

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by Mad Scientist
Score One for Taking over the world! First we get smart robots, then we give them weapons and now we give then real vision. Yay!
Next Step includes giving some insane scientist resorces to add these together and a sinister mind

me hate windows

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2002
I think Davron from Dr. Who would be a perfect mad scientist for the job. Create a few Daleks and take over the world.

bobindashadows

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2002
Originally posted by skunk

The same applies to an amoeba....I mean, try telling the average mathematician that you have to divide in order to multiply! 1/2=2 :)
An amoeba divides into two ameoba half the size of the original at the time of division, if i'm not mistaken. 1 amoeba spread over 2 amoeba means .5 of the original amoeba in each. meaning 1/2=0.5. ;-) How could a new amoeba grow from a parent without taking anything out of the parent? Obviously it isn't going to be 50/50 spread over each but obviously the amoeba takes something out of the original amoeba to bud off. Excuse me if I'm wrong, and amoeba simply start growing out the side of the original, taking in nutrients from the first second as if it were fully born.

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
You're right, of course: to start with each is 0.5 of the original in volume. However, in another sense, each is an integral whole, i.e. 1.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.