PDA

View Full Version : Messages Bug?

UnbornApple
Sep 21, 2013, 08:48 PM
Hey guys,

Anyone else seen your messages now taking up a lot of space?

After my restore to my new iPhone 5s I'm seeing messages taking up almost 1GB.

After deleting all of my messages and sending 2, I am taking up 20MB....

Anyone else seeing this now?

Eldiablojoe
Sep 21, 2013, 09:54 PM
Where does it tell you how much memory they're taking up?

UnbornApple
Sep 21, 2013, 10:01 PM
Where does it tell you how much memory they're taking up?

Settings>General>Useage

It may take a second to show up.

KoolAid-Drink
Sep 21, 2013, 10:12 PM
Not a bug. Starting with iOS 7, Messages usage is now part of the Usage list. It's to give your phone more transparency and to help people understand where their space is going on their devices. With iOS 6 and older, there was often a big chunk of memory being used up that people didn't know the cause of. That's why Messages was added as a visible usage-related item.

UnbornApple
Sep 21, 2013, 10:24 PM
Not a bug. Starting with iOS 7, Messages usage is now part of the Usage list. It's to give your phone more transparency and to help people understand where their space is going on their devices. With iOS 6 and older, there was often a big chunk of memory being used up that people didn't know the cause of. That's why Messages was added as a visible usage-related item.

I guess it's just insane that messages would take up almost 1GB. They are text messages.

DollaTwentyFive
Sep 21, 2013, 10:27 PM
I guess it's just insane that messages would take up almost 1GB. They are text messages.

It isn't the texts, it's the attachments. There was an earlier post about this. Sadly, it seems there is no easy workaround.

cynics
Sep 21, 2013, 10:29 PM
There was a bug in iOS 6, somewhere between 6.0 and 6.1.3 that if you deleted messages they'd disappear but you wouldn't get the space back. The bug was fixed but storage space was never recovered, so people like me with all my messages deleted in the app have 1.9gb of space being used. 20 mb? Ya I wouldn't worry about that.

Problem is messages are in the back up so Apples solution is to restore as new without using a back up.

UnbornApple
Sep 21, 2013, 10:33 PM
There was a bug in iOS 6, somewhere between 6.0 and 6.1.3 that if you deleted messages they'd disappear but you wouldn't get the space back. The bug was fixed but storage space was never recovered, so people like me with all my messages deleted in the app have 1.9gb of space being used. 20 mb? Ya I wouldn't worry about that.

Problem is messages are in the back up so Apples solution is to restore as new without using a back up.

I'm restoring and setting up as a new phone right now. Not anything that I need to save, I'll just have to take the time to log in to everything over again.

We'll see how the space taken up then.

hafr
Sep 22, 2013, 01:39 AM
- Make a backup in iTunes
- open iBackupBot
- go to the relevant backup
- hit Other Multimedia Files (you might have to click on the tab afterwards, in case it goes straight to camera roll instead)
- sort by filename by clicking the Filename tab
- go to MediaDomain/Library/SMS/Attachments and highlight all of them.

Now you can delete them all by right-clicking and choosing delete (you might want to export them first, up to you), close iBackupBot and restore to backup in iTunes.

Tadaa! Space recovered, texts/SMS/messages (whatever you call them) still there!

PerfectCr
Sep 22, 2013, 10:25 AM
- open iBackupBot
- hit Other Multimedia Files (you might have to click on the tab afterwards, in case it goes straight to camera roll instead)

Now you can delete them all by right-clicking and choosing delete (you might want to export them first, up to you), close iBackupBot and restore to backup in iTunes.

Tadaa! Space recovered, texts/SMS/messages (whatever you call them) still there!
Anyone else tried this? iOS needs to natively support removal of all media attachments from text (that take up space) but retain the actual text messages themselves.

charlituna
Sep 22, 2013, 11:31 AM
Anyone else tried this? iOS needs to natively support removal of all media attachments from text (that take up space) but retain the actual text messages themselves.

I've done just fine with the whole edit conversation button. Although I notice it's missing in iOS 7 and swiping is doing nothing. Already sent feedback about it

hafr
Sep 22, 2013, 12:18 PM

Agree, it's absolutely ridiculous that it's "all or nothing" in this day and age. Not even an export all option.

----------

I've done just fine with the whole edit conversation button. Although I notice it's missing in iOS 7 and swiping is doing nothing. Already sent feedback about it

The problem with dead space is ONLY for those who deleted message threads with attachments between iOS 6.0 and 6.1, because the attachments weren't actually deleted from the phone. The bug was fixed in iOS 6.1 and no longer exists.

The "edit conversation" in iOS 7 is found by pressing and holding a message bubble, then hitting "more" in the menu that comes up. If you want to delete a thread by swiping, it must be from right to left.

darngooddesign
Sep 22, 2013, 12:43 PM
The "edit conversation" in iOS 7 is found by pressing and holding a message bubble, then hitting "more" in the menu that comes up. If you want to delete a thread by swiping, it must be from right to left.

Thanks for this. Talk about buried.

briancomputer
Sep 22, 2013, 09:58 PM
- open iBackupBot

IT WORKED!!!! Thanks so much....I asked like 10 guys at apple store and they had no clue. THANKS AGAIN!!!!