Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maclver

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 23, 2008
New Mexico
I have a 2013 Macbook Air 1.7 i7 and I am playing SimCity on it. But for some reason every time I play the fans go nuts and the computer heats up. I know this can be normal since the Macbook is using a lot of resources. But is it ok to play the game for a couple hours with all the heat and fans?

or can this do more harm than good?

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
You're fine. All Intel based Macs have a built in overheat protection circuit...if it hits the redline it will just shut down...playing intensive games and high fan speeds is perfectly normal...enjoy the game..:)

Coldsmoke

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2011
2013 MBA's run hot

I bought and then returned an I7 MBA because I could not stand how hot it was running. On my lap it was actually painful.
I have a 2012 MBA with an I7 which runs the same applications without the fans coming on And without running hot.
BTW, what I run most of the time is multiple copies of Excel with somewhat large spreadsheets. Regardless, the Haswell processor runs noticeably hotter than its predecessor for the same given load. I also noticed that when the 2013 MBA was taxed in this manner, battery life went to hell in a hand basket.

For now I am sticking with my 2012 vintage MBA.

Maclver

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 23, 2008
New Mexico
I have to ask, why are you using such a wonderful piece of ingenuity for stupid video gaming? Crappy Windozed is perfect for this.

Because I like Simcity and I like my Mac and since they made SimCity for Mac well you put the pieces together.

That and its fun... Thanks for the thought provoking post!

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
In Windows, there are utilities, sometimes even built-in to the machine to run the laptop in quiet mode. This mode tells the machine to never exceed a certain temperature, user-configurable, hence the need to reeve up the fan, this is accomplished by slowing down the clock dynamically. Depending what you are doing, u may not notice the slow down. Surprised Mac doesn't have similar.

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2012
Coming from a Gateway, I was shocked how quiet my July 2012 MBA is. I've heard the fans exactly once: when I was upgrading from Lion to ML. That said, YouTube is the most processor-intensive thing I do. I'm not into gaming.

ha1o2surfer

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2013
The laptop will not just 'shut down'. Once the CPU reaches 100c, the CPU will start to throttle until it hits it's lowest clock. This is so the cooling system can gain control over the heat. (usually 800mhz)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.