PDA

View Full Version : CPU load averages - iOS 7 vs. iOS 6

glacies
Sep 22, 2013, 04:18 AM
So I've been wondering if the battery drain in iOS 7 is related to a high CPU usage. I used SysStatsLite to monitor the "load averages" of the CPU and "CPU usage" for both iOS versions after a clean install. I switched off most battery draining functions, such as Parallax.

I don't have a picture for this but generally the CPU usage is "normal" for both iOSes when idling. Both use roughly 3 percent of CPU.

However the load averages are drastically different. With iOS 6.1.4, it's about 0.05 to 0.30, but for iOS 7 it's about 0.80 to 1.50.

I'm interested in seeing your load averages. If have some time on your hands could you install SysStatsLite or a similar tool and report back?

Thanks guys!

:D

arcite
Sep 22, 2013, 04:40 AM
Good investigation work.
That would correlate to the increase battery drain.

Also, what about wi-fi use? iOS7 does all those background updates ect... all drain battery faster.

glacies
Sep 22, 2013, 05:09 AM
Good investigation work.
That would correlate to the increase battery drain.

Also, what about wi-fi use? iOS7 does all those background updates ect... all drain battery faster.

The load averages I quoted are with:

Background app refresh off
Reduce motion
Bluetooth off
Static wallpaper
System location services all off

Wifi on
Cellular data on (3G, no LTE)
iCloud on and one Gmail account set to hourly fetch

beej69
Feb 9, 2014, 08:02 PM
i'm currently trying to figure out why things have started feeling laggy on my 5s running iOS 7.0.4 (eg: Waze startups feel much more sluggish than they used to). i stumbled across this thread.

top is currently showing my load averages when the phone is pretty idle at:
Load Avg: 0.91, 1.21, 1.26
with a cpu usage of about 5% with most of that coming from top, itself. the load averages seem pretty high. would love to see others' load averages.

bkends35
Feb 9, 2014, 08:56 PM
i'm currently trying to figure out why things have started feeling laggy on my 5s running iOS 7.0.4 (eg: Waze startups feel much more sluggish than they used to). i stumbled across this thread.

top is currently showing my load averages when the phone is pretty idle at:
Load Avg: 0.91, 1.21, 1.26
with a cpu usage of about 5% with most of that coming from top, itself. the load averages seem pretty high. would love to see others' load averages.

I'm running 7.1 beta 5 and the lowest I've seen my idle usage is 3.5%, usually it fluctuates between 5-10% though. My load averages are 0.85, 1.06, 1.30. I find my battery is identical to 7.0.4.