PDA

View Full Version : speed

sweetaction
Dec 30, 2002, 09:41 PM
I had to wipe off my powerbook to reinstall OS9 for my Protools and MBOX...

I forgot what it was like to have a really snappy experience on my mac...

Not to dis OSX, I love it. But its still too slow. OS9 screamed on my powerbook (ti 500 mhz) and OSX still chugs along. Its seems to get better from upgrade to upgrade, and I am sure it will continue to.

But what an experience! Going back to the old and have it be so much faster.

Sigh.

ChicagoMac
Dec 30, 2002, 10:25 PM
With progress comes pain.:p So you sacrifice a little speed (if that's really true) for a much more stable OS. I'll take OSX over OS9 anytime!

G4scott
Dec 30, 2002, 11:00 PM
OS 9 may feel snappy compared to OS X, but the transition is well worth it. With OS 9 on my new windtunnel dual 1ghz powermac, I feel like I have to wait an eternity for my apps to load, and when one app is doing something, I usually can't do anything else with any other app. The multitasking features in OS X outweigh the feel of speed in the interface for me. Even on my 600mhz iBook, OS X doesn't feel too bad, and it's much better than 9.

daveg5
Dec 30, 2002, 11:47 PM
I use OSX for everything but my music apps, cubase vst 5.1, protools le digi 001, Logic 4.7 among others and Games cause my voodoo card has no osx drivers. This will change soon as emagic has just released audiowerk drivers for my soundcard and hopefully yamaha will follow for my dspfactory card.
Os9.2.2 is much faster but of course it crashes more too and is not as pretty and has less and less coming out for it especially updates from apple. although i did find a way to get the OSX fonts, desktop icons and GUI in OS9 and classic so i would not have to look at the boring OS9 gui anymore. www.aquamakeover.com everything works fine but the adock kept crashing so i took it out.
OSX is the bomb 10.2.3 is much faster than 10.1 but there is still room for improvement. Those with faster newer macs or who use OSX exclusively will probably never notice a difference though. and i hope to join them with the ibm 970 whenever irt comes out.

alset
Jan 1, 2003, 04:45 AM
Originally posted by daveg5
I use OSX for everything but my music apps, cubase vst 5.1, protools le digi 001, Logic 4.7 among others and Games cause my voodoo card has no osx drivers. This will change soon as emagic has just released audiowerk drivers for my soundcard and hopefully yamaha will follow for my dspfactory card.

It's your lucky day. Emagic released new Audiowerks drivers two days ago. Waiting for pro-audio software is the worst. Have fun!

Dan

mymemory
Jan 1, 2003, 10:04 AM
I have OS 9 in my 3 machines and I have OSX in one of their partition and I haven't use it in a month or so. Most of my soft is for OS9 and even that a few of them are in OSX I can wait with no problem.

I'm waiting for Apple finishe to do their alpha testion with all their OSX costumers and when I can find EVERYTNIG for OSX I'll make the jump.

Never sooner than agust 2003.

OS 9.04 is the fastest, more than 9.2.2

Ryan Heid
Jan 19, 2003, 02:21 PM
I have no problem with OS X. It's snappy as hell compared to 10.0 or the PB.

daveg5
Jan 20, 2003, 01:43 PM
got the audiowerk driver it works good , a few pops, will soon get cubase sl, I also use stealth midi (freeware that lets me use my older opcode studio 3 and usb midiport interfaces) os9 still has better midi timing i am also waiting for yamaha to release its 24 bit 5 dsp dspfactory soundcard drivers. as it stands now i play all my games and music and a couple other os9 only apps in 9 and the rest in osx 10.2.3 which is much faster then 10.1 but no where near as snappy as os9.2.2 and far as the interface goes when using the builtin video(i am sure those with quartz extreme and newer faster machines probably will not see a difference), i think it is the multitasking because in os9 and classic i use WWW.aquamakeover.com without the dock so that i always have the anti-alias text,fonts and aqua gui and it is much faster. still waiting for the second (non-beta ) release of most major music apps. I am also debateing selling my 64MB dual processor 4Xanti aliasing video cards for a radeon 7000(i wish there was a faster 64MB pci card available), hopefully this will speed up OSX GUI and allow me to play OSX only games I doubt if it will compare to the 5500 in 9.2.2 RCW and Unreal look and play great no jaggies great texture.
My OSX and OS9 crash about the same requiring a restart i have gone about 2 weeks maxiumum with both. cubase 5.1 in 9.2.2 works absolutely great so i am in no rush in 2 months it crashes only twice with me uplugging in plugging in the midi and the support for dspfactory is great anyho both operating systems are great and iprefer both to windows. as soon as apple releases dual 970's or single powerbooks with2ghz i will take out a loan i am hoping fall 2003 when all the audio apps, drivers and mac OSX become more mature

Phazer80s
Feb 12, 2003, 12:47 AM
Testing.

daveg5
Feb 12, 2003, 03:46 AM
so far so good, absolutetly hate the usb key thing what happens if i lose mine and need work done right away. just give me a serial number. or require it for installation not every use jeez. looks good not as good as 5.1 too washed out slightly better then logic very clean easy to get interface still no dsp drivers works with most but not all os9 vst plugs, not audio units yet. i am tranfering some 5.1 files it gets some pan settings wrong and since some plugs dont work you have to try diff plugs otherwise seems pretty good will give better review later dont think i need to read the manual but i better.

Sol
Feb 12, 2003, 04:21 AM
While it is true that OS 9 is snappy compaired to OS X, the newer operating system does let you do a ridicilous amount of things at the same time, something that would never happen on OS 9. OS X can also utilise dual processors and when you are putting effects to multiple tracks in ProTools this can be very handy.

I know for a fact that in music production a lot of studios still use pre-G4 ProTools systems because they are stable and they work. Now that ProTools runs natively on OS X there is no point dwelling on the speed of OS X on a beige Mac. Go and buy a new Mac if you want a fast OS X.

.a
Feb 17, 2003, 10:34 AM
i used the *old* os since '95 and started fulltime with osX last year when ps 7 was released - and there is no way of going back - 10.2.4 is quite fast even with an old pm dual 450 (1gb ram) - right now there are 12 apps open - remember the crash-nightmare of os9 - almost every day...

sorry, but i rather "switch" to xp than going back to os9... even i hate windows a lot...

can't live without X ;O)

.a