PDA

View Full Version : iMessage: how do I view messages grouped by person?

opnancy
Sep 22, 2013, 06:31 AM
I am only seeing iMessages in a running list in order of arrival. How do I view the list grouped by person? I hope this is still possible! Thanks in advance.

Max(IT)
Sep 22, 2013, 06:56 AM
Something is wrong in your setup: on my iPhone / iPad iMessages are still grouped by contact.

Gav2k
Sep 22, 2013, 07:12 AM
Op force quit your app then reboot your phone.

opnancy
Sep 22, 2013, 07:23 AM
I tried the close app and reboot but still do not see messages grouped by person. I welcome all suggestions. Thanks.

Tyler23
Sep 22, 2013, 07:27 AM
I tried the close app and reboot but still do not see messages grouped by person. I welcome all suggestions. Thanks.

Can you post a screenshot so we can understand what you're seeing?

opnancy
Sep 22, 2013, 07:31 AM
I'm just seeing a running list of iMessages in the order received, with the name of sender or who I wrote to. But I do not have a view that shows the messages by person. Sorry, will not do a screen shot.

firstapple
Sep 22, 2013, 07:38 AM
I'm just seeing a running list of iMessages in the order received, with the name of sender or who I wrote to. But I do not have a view that shows the messages by person. Sorry, will not do a screen shot.

?? How do you expect us to help/understand what it is you're seeing?

Best two options at this point:

1) Restore phone

2) Take it to the apple store and speak with the genius bar

darngooddesign
Sep 22, 2013, 07:42 AM
Are you trying to see everything a person has said, even if its in multiple conversations? You can't do that. Or do you want your list of messages alphabetized instead of orgained by date, newest first? You can't do that. You can search for the person's name and it will show you all the conversations the person is in, but not every txt they have made in each of those conversations. If its something else I have no idea what you are asking.

Tyler23
Sep 22, 2013, 07:45 AM

That's how messages works..it shows you your message conversations, sorted by the most recent sent/received. Are you trying to sort these message threads alphabetically, by sender? If so, that's not possible. Are you seeing multiple message threads show up for the same person? If so, I've never seen it before.

I don't care what your messages say (I'm sure no one here does), but if you want help you'll either have to be more clear or show us what you're seeing.

Tommy Hewitt
Sep 22, 2013, 07:54 AM
I guess he sees all messages from every person in a single list and not sorted by sender.

Tyler23
Sep 22, 2013, 07:56 AM
I guess he sees all messages from every person in a single list and not sorted by sender.

I've never seen it before and no one has ever made a thread or anything about having that but before. That's why we need a screenshot or a better explanation.

opnancy
Sep 22, 2013, 07:58 AM
Right Tommy, that is what I see. Thanks everyone.

Tyler23
Sep 22, 2013, 08:00 AM

So each message you send is creating a new message thread? You don't click one, and have all of your messages from that person there?

This is a new one.

darngooddesign
Sep 22, 2013, 08:04 AM

Never seen that in six years of iPhones.

Talk to Apple.

Macuser421
Sep 22, 2013, 08:10 AM
Any idea how to get iMessage working with the latest update, mine says waiting for activation, I enter my password and get an error message saying could not sign in please check your network connection and try again. My wi fi is working fine.

JerseyDoug
Sep 22, 2013, 10:20 AM
A screenshot would really be helpful. However,...

When you open iMessage, you see a list of all messages in chronological order. So, if you had received a message from "Doug" @ 3:00pm, you replied at 3:01pm, Susan sent you a message at 3:02 and Doug replied to you at 3:03 your list would look something like --

Doug - blah blah blah
Susan- blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah ;)
You - blah
Doug - blah blah

As opposed to the normal view which would be --

Doug -blah blah blah
Susan - blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

Is that what you mean?

darngooddesign
Sep 22, 2013, 10:23 AM
I think he means it displays like a dumb phone with each text being a separate message instead of grouped in a conversation.

Doublea6
Sep 22, 2013, 10:53 AM
I think he's just lying, why can't he take a simple screenshot.

Puonti
Sep 22, 2013, 11:05 AM
I think he's just lying, why can't he take a simple screenshot.

Consider the private nature of messaging. Perhaps editing the screenshot to cover identities and contents of messages is beyond him. Or perhaps doing so would make the whole point of showing a screenshot moot.

Purex
Sep 22, 2013, 11:12 AM
A screenshot would really be helpful. However,...

When you open iMessage, you see a list of all messages in chronological order. So, if you had received a message from "Doug" @ 3:00pm, you replied at 3:01pm, Susan sent you a message at 3:02 and Doug replied to you at 3:03 your list would look something like --

Doug - blah blah blah
Susan- blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah ;)
You - blah
Doug - blah blah

As opposed to the normal view which would be --

Doug -blah blah blah
Susan - blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

Is that what you mean?

That happens to me, when " DOUG " texts me from his mobile number ( SMS ) and sometimes he iMessages me, from his email. That creates separate Threads, from the same NAME but diferent origins. Its a know bug...might be this whats happening to the OP

CB1234
Sep 22, 2013, 11:16 AM
Perhaps he is receiving messages as SMS??????

I wonder his iMessage is activated... That seems to be only explanation....

Are the messages in Green or White bubble???

charlituna
Sep 22, 2013, 11:22 AM
?? How do you expect us to help/understand what it is you're seeing?

Why the snappy. Messages are private info.

And I don't see why it's so had to understand what he's saying. The OP was rather clear in the description. I don't see a setting that could be wrong. I would try rebooting the whole phone, perhaps a reset all settings. Might be a quirk of software. Especially if one updated over iOS 6 rather than a restore/update. Hopefully a settings refresh will clear it up

CB1234
Sep 22, 2013, 11:27 AM
Why the snappy. Messages are private info.

And I don't see why it's so had to understand what he's saying. The OP was rather clear in the description. I don't see a setting that could be wrong. I would try rebooting the whole phone, perhaps a reset all settings. Might be a quirk of software. Especially if one updated over iOS 6 rather than a restore/update. Hopefully a settings refresh will clear it up

No one is being snappy, we just don't understand the exact problem that's why we need screen shot.

No one is interested in his message content - he can blank or fade out actual message, we just want to see what he is trying to say....

We are trying to help the OP, but can't as we do not understand the problem...

Tyler23
Sep 22, 2013, 11:29 AM
That happens to me, when " DOUG " texts me from his mobile number ( SMS ) and sometimes he iMessages me, from his email. That creates separate Threads, from the same NAME but diferent origins. Its a know bug...might be this whats happening to the OP

That's not a bug. SMS and iMessage are separate.

Purex
Sep 22, 2013, 11:35 AM

Ive seen people that receive iMessage and SMS ( from the same contact ) in the same thread ( merged )

Tyler23
Sep 22, 2013, 11:46 AM
Ive seen people that receive iMessage and SMS ( from the same contact ) in the same thread ( merged )

Sorry, I worded that incorrectly. Yes, SMS and iMessage will be in the same thread

However, contact from an email or a phone will not be in the same thread, even if it's from the same person.

Purex
Sep 22, 2013, 11:56 AM
Sorry, I worded that incorrectly. Yes, SMS and iMessage will be in the same thread

However, contact from an email or a phone will not be in the same thread, even if it's from the same person.

Ok thanks . Its a pity, because it could be useful, to have them together. It would help to keep track of the conversation.

I have a friend with weak data/wifi connection, and his messages come to me as SMS in a moment, and in the moment after, could arrive as iMessage...being difficult to keep on track.

MinEderPlayz
Sep 22, 2013, 12:00 PM
I really can't imagine what it looks like.
I beg you OP to make a screenshot and edit it with whatever GIMP, Photoshop etc. to blur private info but so we really know where your problem is. I'm afraid you are referring to notifications all the time...

joejoejoe
Sep 22, 2013, 12:06 PM

This is normal behavior. It's separated like this so if you want to iMessage his email versus his number you just have to hop to that conversation. Not a bug. It's always been like this.

----------

That's when you're iMessaging and texting the same number for a contact. When you iMessage a phone number, if there's bad service it will revert to SMS in the same window.

If you then iMessage their emails address, that's a new conversation, and no SMS is even possible here.

----------

Ok thanks . Its a pity, because it could be useful, to have them together. It would help to keep track of the conversation.

I have a friend with weak data/wifi connection, and his messages come to me as SMS in a moment, and in the moment after, could arrive as iMessage...being difficult to keep on track.

Tell him to make his phone number his default iMessage address. Then everything will be in same thread. He might as well remove his email address as an iMessage contact all together then you'll never run into the problem.

----------

I am only seeing iMessages in a running list in order of arrival. How do I view the list grouped by person? I hope this is still possible! Thanks in advance.

Post a screenshot and blur/black out the text of the conversations. In settings you can choose to have iMessage contact shown by first name only. Do both of these things and you'll have total privacy and we'll be able to fully understand your issue.

hafr
Sep 22, 2013, 12:38 PM

Not if the sender is using their phone number as caller id for iMessage, then it will be in the same thread.

Tyler23
Sep 22, 2013, 12:42 PM
Not if the sender is using their phone number as caller id for iMessage, then it will be in the same thread.

Yep, read my next post.

darngooddesign
Sep 22, 2013, 12:46 PM

Previously both were on the same conversation. SMS colored green. iMessage colored blue.

I just checked a conversation and it gas both colors so it looks like that us still true.

Tyler23
Sep 22, 2013, 12:50 PM
Previously both were on the same conversation. SMS colored green. iMessage colored blue.

I just checked a conversation and it gas both colors so it looks like that us still true.

Yes. As I mentioned to the other person that just quoted me, check my next post just after that one, I misspoke and corrected myself. I meant to say that messages from an email and from a phone will be in separate threads, even if they're from the same person.

hafr
Sep 22, 2013, 12:54 PM
Yep, read my next post.

Sorry, I totally messed up :)

darngooddesign
Sep 22, 2013, 01:04 PM
Yes. As I mentioned to the other person that just quoted me, check my next post just after that one, I misspoke and corrected myself. I meant to say that messages from an email and from a phone will be in separate threads, even if they're from the same person.

Whoops sorry.