PDA

View Full Version : Is it too late to go back to iOS 6?

jacobss
Sep 22, 2013, 08:35 AM
Is it too late to go back to iOS 6? :eek:

darngooddesign
Sep 22, 2013, 08:36 AM
Yep. That's what you get for waiting.

apple-cs
Sep 22, 2013, 08:37 AM
I have to fight the urge to go back to iOS 6.

Tyler23
Sep 22, 2013, 08:40 AM

You can't go back to iOS 6, Apple stopped signing it. Does that make it easier?

darngooddesign
Sep 22, 2013, 08:41 AM

Since Apple is no longer signing iOS6, your urge to go to 6 won't get you iOS6 any more than masturbation will get you sex.

Your only option is to buy a phone with 6 on it.

apolloa
Sep 22, 2013, 08:44 AM
You can always wait for the jailbreak to come out, then you will be able to customise the look more, I think you'll be able to get rid of the animations for example.

3bs
Sep 22, 2013, 08:46 AM
You can always wait for the jailbreak to come out, then you will be able to customise the look more, I think you'll be able to get rid of the animations for example.

God knows how long that's gonna take for the 5S (if ever).

Rodster
Sep 22, 2013, 08:49 AM
That's why I fought the urge to upgrade and I won. I'll wait for iOS 7 to mature a bit between now and the time the new iPads are released.

apple-cs
Sep 22, 2013, 08:50 AM
God knows how long that's gonna take for the 5S (if ever).

Yeah jail breaking slowly died out. I think those jailbreak teams said they wouldn't work with iOS 7.

darngooddesign
Sep 22, 2013, 08:51 AM
That's why I fought the urge to upgrade and I won. I'll wait for iOS 7 to mature a bit between now and the time the new iPads are released.

What's worse is that no one knew what iOS 7 looked and functioned like prior to its release so I can totally see how the OP was taken by surprise. /sarcasm

triptolemus
Sep 22, 2013, 08:52 AM

I fought the urge and lost... but fortunately was able to get 6 back on my devices before Apple stopped signing. Close call to be sure.

apple-cs
Sep 22, 2013, 08:53 AM
Since Apple is no longer signing iOS6, your urge to go to 6 won't get you iOS6 any more than masturbation will get you sex.

Your only option is to buy a phone with 6 on it.

I don't care that much it's just a little inconvenient. Wish there was more perks to having iOS 7.

triptolemus
Sep 22, 2013, 08:54 AM
What's worse is that no one knew what iOS 7 looked and functioned like prior to its release so I can totally see how the OP was taken by surprise. /sarcasm

What's funny about that to me is... if you go and read over some of the 7 beta threads, folks were concerned with the look and feel of the OS, particularly the icons. Lots of folks pretty much said that "hey, the OS is beta, Apple will polish that up soon enough" - those same folks are now defending the flat, drab, teletubbie-looking OS...

darngooddesign
Sep 22, 2013, 08:58 AM
... Lots of folks pretty much said that "hey, the OS is beta, Apple will polish that up soon enough" - those same folks are now defending the flat, drab, teletubbie-looking OS...

I'd be interest in your posting enough examples of that happening for it not to be considered an anomaly. Unless you're just making it up.

----------

I don't care that much it's just a little inconvenient. Wish there was more perks to having iOS 7.

Not caring that much is very different from having to fight the urge.

triptolemus
Sep 22, 2013, 09:15 AM
I'd be interest in your posting enough examples of that happening for it not to be considered an anomaly. Unless you're just making it up.
You're right... I made it up. :rolleyes:

darngooddesign
Sep 22, 2013, 09:23 AM
You're right... I made it up. :rolleyes:

You might be exaggerating. Some people may also have grown to like the new style.

Rodster
Sep 22, 2013, 09:28 AM
I fought the urge and lost... but fortunately was able to get 6 back on my devices before Apple stopped signing. Close call to be sure.
:D

I'll get the iPad 5 or mini retina when they are released and try iOS 7 at that time. I'll have 14 days to try it. If I don't like it i'll send it back. Hopefully Apple can polish and fine tune iOS 7 before the new iPads are released.

----------

I had a real good idea what it looked like which is why I decided to stay on iOS 6 until I have enough reason that the upgrade is an improvement on what I already have.

psingh01
Sep 22, 2013, 09:40 AM
There was a small window where you could downgrade to ios6 but I think that is over now. I did so on my iPhone 4. Got the os from here and did a restore:

http://www.icj.me/ios

That site tracks which updates are still approved by Apple, but now it seems only ios7 is approved.

cchunk
Sep 22, 2013, 10:12 AM
Yeah jail breaking slowly died out. I think those jailbreak teams said they wouldn't work with iOS 7.

You couldn't be more wrong. If anything jailbreaking has grown. The Evad3rs have even tweeted about working on iOS 7 and have said they have really high hopes that it'll be crackable.

KALLT
Sep 22, 2013, 10:14 AM

Believe it or not, but not everyone reads Apple-related news. I spoke to some friends who barely knew anything about the update, yet the device itself notifies the user of an available update. The update had no screenshots or showcase and only presented a feature list. I can imagine that the radical update caught people by surprise regardless.

darngooddesign
Sep 22, 2013, 10:20 AM
Believe it or not, but not everyone reads Apple-related news. I spoke to some friends who barely knew anything about the update, yet the device itself notifies the user of an available update. The update had no screenshots or showcase and only presented a feature list. I can imagine that the radical update caught people by surprise regardless.

It's not like it's been all over Apple's site, YouTube, etc for months and as soon as it dropped the regular news outlet talked about it. But let's keep it about this thread. Do you honestly think someone who posts on MacRumors is a regular ignorant user who had never seen anything about iOS 7 and was completely surprised by it?

Ashin
Sep 22, 2013, 10:46 AM
I have my SHSH blobs saved...

Very tempting to go back to iOS6 to be honest

Tyler23
Sep 22, 2013, 10:47 AM
I have my SHSH blobs saved...

Very tempting to go back to iOS6 to be honest

What device? Unless you're on a 4 or earlier SHSH blobs are useless.

Sep 22, 2013, 10:53 AM
Is it too late to go back to iOS 6? :eek:

Yes. No way to revert now (unless you are jailbroken, last I heard).

Tyler23
Sep 22, 2013, 10:58 AM
Yes. No way to revert now (unless you are jailbroken, last I heard).

iOS 7 isn't jailbroken, so that doesn't really make any sense.

There is no way unless you have an iPhone 4 or below, and had saved your blobs from 6.1.3.

KALLT
Sep 22, 2013, 10:59 AM
It's not like it's been all over Apple's site, YouTube, etc for months and as soon as it dropped the regular news outlet talked about it. But let's keep it about this thread. Do you honestly think someone who posts on MacRumors is a regular ignorant user who had never seen anything about iOS 7 and was completely surprised by it?

Again, you are presuming that everyone is interested in those kind of news. That's not the case. And even if you do follow the news on Macrumors, many issues have only really come forward since the release.

You don't even know for which reason the thread starter wants to go back. Might be design-related, might be feature-related, might be performance-related. There are ample issues with iOS 7 at this point, and I for one can understand why people want to go back. I did that too after all when it was possible to do so.

darngooddesign
Sep 22, 2013, 11:10 AM
Again, you are presuming that everyone is interested in those kind of news. That's not the case. And even if you do follow the news on Macrumors, many issues have only really come forward since the release.

You don't even know for which reason the thread starter wants to go back. Might be design-related, might be feature-related, might be performance-related. There are ample issues with iOS 7 at this point, and I for one can understand why people want to go back. I did that too after all when it was possible to do so.

We're not discussing some abstract general user. We're discussing someone who posts in macrumors.

If you post on macrumors you read at least one other thech blog. And you will know what it looks and functions like. You are right that there are several reasons why you might downgrade but ignorance of what 7 looks like/functions like is not one if them if you read MacRumors.