They always remove some nice thing.
Next, the ringtones!

mcooke
Sep 22, 2013, 11:09 PM
They always remove some nice thing.

Boooooo. I liked the unlock sound.... I will miss it

jaenicky
Sep 23, 2013, 02:53 AM
I don't miss it but it's strange they didn't give you an option to have on and off

lamerica80
Sep 23, 2013, 09:20 AM
I agree, I miss that satisfying unlock sound!

But i also kinda like it without. I unlock my phone hundreds of times (i feel like) during a train ride for example and it feels more discreet this way.

They shouldve made it optional but thats not apple is it.

Smith288
Sep 23, 2013, 09:47 AM
Why do you need to know you unlocked your screen with an audio queue when you're looking at it?

I get locking...you could be placing it in your pocket and the sound confirms it's lockage but the sounds are meant as queues to a person. Unlocking a phone is an active action a user does as they are looking at the phone. You can't unlock a phone from your pocket or while not looking at it (at least for normal operation) so a sound to indicate it's been done seems out of place to me and apparently to apple as well.

The keyboard clicks sound is another I don't understand. The letter on the screen is the acknowledgment I need and doesn't require a sound which is why mine and about 98% of other iPhone users have it turned off. But I get the "why not give me the option" argument.

mrmarts
Sep 23, 2013, 09:58 AM
I know it's not the place, but I do like the new battery charging chime.

MykullMyerz
Sep 23, 2013, 10:02 AM
I didn't even notice it was gone until I read this post. Now I miss it.

abshole765
Sep 23, 2013, 10:33 AM
Why do you need to know you unlocked your screen with an audio queue when you're looking at it?

The impaired.

CyBeRino
Sep 23, 2013, 11:43 AM
The impaired.

The visually impaired do not have this problem, so long as they are using voiceover.

tgi
Sep 23, 2013, 11:46 AM
The keyboard clicks sound is another I don't understand. The letter on the screen is the acknowledgment I need and doesn't require a sound which is why mine and about 98% of other iPhone users have it turned off. But I get the "why not give me the option" argument.

I see nothing wrong with the clicks and have never disabled it. I guess I'm the 2% minority.

Tyler23
Sep 23, 2013, 11:54 AM
I see nothing wrong with the clicks and have never disabled it. I guess I'm the 2% minority.

If you're in the privacy of your own home, sure - if you're in public, it's an incredible nuisance to those around you.

tgi
Sep 23, 2013, 12:05 PM
If you're in the privacy of your own home, sure - if you're in public, it's an incredible nuisance to those around you.

I have to disagree. You seriously get annoyed when you hear someone using their phone in public? Do you get mad at when you can hear the car's music next to you?

There are 2 things you could do if the noise of other people's phone bothers you.

1. Mind your own business.
2. Wear headphones.

Only places in public where I would get annoyed from the sound of someone's phone would be a library, movie theater, etc.

Tyler23
Sep 23, 2013, 12:08 PM
I have to disagree. You seriously get annoyed when you hear someone using their phone in public? Do you get mad at when you can hear the car's music next to you?

There are 2 things you could do if the noise of other people's phone bothers you.

1. Mind your own business.
2. Wear headphones.

Only places in public where I would get annoyed from the sound of someone's phone would be a library, movie theater, etc.

It's just common courtesy - same reason you don't talk in a movie theater. It's distracting, and no one wants to hear "click click click click" as someone just types away. How about the person typing wear headphones? That's why we use headphones to listen to music and don't walk around in public talking on our phones using speakerphone. No one else needs to hear everything that's going on with your phone.

Why should other people have to put on headphones just so they don't hear your keyboard clicking every time you text or search the web? I'm not saying anything is right or wrong, but it's just decent. Just because you don't find it annoying, it's not very courteous to assume that everyone feels the same way.

I'm going to guess you're no older than 18, based on your response. And if not, I hope someone in your work place has their keyboard click on and texts all day long.

tgi
Sep 23, 2013, 12:39 PM
It's just common courtesy - same reason you don't talk in a movie theater. It's distracting, and no one wants to hear "click click click click" as someone just types away. How about the person typing wear headphones? That's why we use headphones to listen to music and don't walk around in public talking on our phones using speakerphone. No one else needs to hear everything that's going on with your phone.

Why should other people have to put on headphones just so they don't hear your keyboard clicking every time you text or search the web? I'm not saying anything is right or wrong, but it's just decent. Just because you don't find it annoying, it's not very courteous to assume that everyone feels the same way.

I'm going to guess you're no older than 18, based on your response. And if not, I hope someone in your work place has their keyboard click on and texts all day long.

You are correct in assuming my age, bravo. Thanks for sharing your opinion. I can see that you are easily irritated. Now I know how a simple keyboard click would annoy you.

Oh yeah, I hear notification alerts from other's around me all day. Doesn't bother me one bit. Good luck getting your jimmies rustled over someone receiving a text message.

chirop
Sep 23, 2013, 12:45 PM
Had it turned off anyway , just sucks battery for a useless (for me) feature.

abshole765
Sep 23, 2013, 12:48 PM

Im surprised you aren't bothered by the sound of yourself or others breathing.

Tyler23
Sep 23, 2013, 12:50 PM
You are correct in assuming my age, bravo. Thanks for sharing your opinion. I can see that you are easily irritated. Now I know how a simple keyboard click would annoy you.

Oh yeah, I hear notification alerts from other's around me all day. Doesn't bother me one bit. Good luck getting your jimmies rustled over someone receiving a text message.

Let me clarify, I have no problem with text tones, nor ringtones when someone gets a call. Why? Because those are necessary. I have a problem with keyboard clicks. Why? Because they aren't necessary. There is no need whatsoever for them. And, a text message tone comes every few minutes, a call the same or even less frequency. Keyboard clicks are hundreds per minute.

I have nothing against youth - but there's something to be said for lack of understanding and common courtesy.

----------

As I said in my most recent post - I have no problem with things that are necessary. But again, keyboard clicks are completely unecessary. There is absolutely no reason to hear a click sound every time you touch your keyboard, and if there is, keep it to yourself. Breathing is natural and necessary, and most people's breathing can only be heard if you are right next to them, not across the room or down the subway car.

And, it's not just me. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=564361 Responders here even mention how they'll have it on when by themselves, but turn it off when it public as they realize it can be a nuisance. Some people have a lot to learn in life.

gentlefury
Sep 23, 2013, 01:00 PM

Oh man, agree 110%!!! I freaking HATE working and someone is clicking their phone all day!!! You can see the words your typing...do you have to share it with everyone around you??? It's a phone, not a typewriter!!

Smith288
Sep 23, 2013, 08:51 PM
The impaired.

Are you impaired? Because if so, then it would be understandable to have audio queues to when activities have occurred. If you're not impaired, what benefit is it?

----------

You are that clueless about practicing common courtesy of others around you?

Breathing, being a total natural instinctive activity, doesn't annoy people... keyboard sound effects, are one of the very few sounds that an iPhone emits that make me stare at the offender like they have farted in an elevator.

abshole765
Sep 24, 2013, 05:15 PM
Are you impaired? Because if so, then it would be understandable to have audio queues to when activities have occurred. If you're not impaired, what benefit is it?

----------

You are that clueless about practicing common courtesy of others around you?

Breathing, being a total natural instinctive activity, doesn't annoy people... keyboard sound effects, are one of the very few sounds that an iPhone emits that make me stare at the offender like they have farted in an elevator.

Impaired? No. But having a sound effect for one thing but not the other is half assed.

And yeah, people breathing loudly does bother me, and I can guarantee I'm not alone on that.

moldy lunchbox
Sep 24, 2013, 05:31 PM
Had it turned off anyway , just sucks battery for a useless (for me) feature.

You really think it's sucking battery by hearing an unlock sound when you turn it on? :rolleyes:

benji888
Sep 24, 2013, 05:55 PM
QUESTION: Only for those of you who already OWN an iPhone 5s: does the Touch ID give you audio feedback when it identifies your fingerprint?

applegirlz
Sep 24, 2013, 07:16 PM
I liked the lock sound. But now that it's gone, I like that it's gone :)

Smith288
Sep 25, 2013, 11:48 AM
Impaired? No. But having a sound effect for one thing but not the other is half assed.

Unlocking isnt the same as locking. They are two different actions with two different expectations and use cases.

And yeah, people breathing loudly does bother me, and I can guarantee I'm not alone on that.

Uh, ok then...

I gave a very sound and reasonable explanation behind the removal of the unlock sound. If you can think of a better one, I'd be happy to hear it.

Cougarcat
Sep 25, 2013, 11:54 AM
Unlocking isnt the same as locking. They are two different actions with two different expectations and use cases.

Help me understand the difference. Why would they remove one and not the other? I think they are both pointless, personally.

DDustiNN
Sep 25, 2013, 12:02 PM
QUESTION: Only for those of you who already OWN an iPhone 5s: does the Touch ID give you audio feedback when it identifies your fingerprint?

Nope, nothing other than the home screen appearing.

Thierry ba
Sep 25, 2013, 12:03 PM
I liked the lock sound. But now that it's gone, I like that it's gone :)

Lock sound isnt gone. :D

Tyler23
Sep 25, 2013, 12:05 PM
Help me understand the difference. Why would they remove one and not the other? I think they are both pointless, personally.

The lock sound I can understand (although I don't use it and too find it nearly pointless). Some people will start moving their phones to their pockets, and even putting them in (if their pockets are big enough) before locking the phone. The lock sound lets them know it was locked, since they're not looking at it.

The unlock sound I never understood.

DDustiNN
Sep 25, 2013, 12:08 PM
As for the unlocking sound and keyboard clicks, I just have to say... this argument is completely ridiculous. You guys are absurd. Seriously. Arguing over someone's preference?? Get over yourselves.

I liked the unlock sound because I often switch silent mode on/off throughout the day for various reasons. When I unlock my phone and hear the click, it's an instant indication to me that the sounds are on. No click, I know I'm on vibrate.

"Uhhhhh you could just check the the switch on the side, DUH!"

Yes, of course I could, but why should I need to? The sound is a nice and simple reminder.

As for the keyboard clicks, I doubt that "98% of users" have them disabled. I personally like the clicks because it makes typing feel more satisfying. Do you hate hearing someone typing on a keyboard two cubicles away at work? Why is the phone any different?

For your stupid "common courtesy" complaint... No, turning off your clicking sounds is not common courtesy. Common courtesy is not texting in front of other people. I can't stand when people are glued to their phones, texting back and forth, while around other people. It's 100% rude and annoying.

If you are in a position that you feel a keyboard click would be rude to someone, then you should not be texting at that moment in the first place. And if you still feel the need to, why not just hit the silent mode switch? It's not hard. Bonus: the other person won't have to hear your stupid text notification every 20 seconds.

gentlefury
Sep 25, 2013, 12:10 PM
Useless feature. Gone with the linen and leather.

Smith288
Sep 25, 2013, 12:11 PM

As I said earlier in the thread:

I get locking...you could be placing it in your pocket and the sound confirms it's lockage but the sounds are meant as queues to a person. Unlocking a phone is an active action a user does as they are looking at the phone. You can't unlock a phone from your pocket or while not looking at it (at least for normal operation) so a sound to indicate it's been done seems out of place to me and apparently to apple as well.

Cougarcat
Sep 25, 2013, 12:28 PM
As I said earlier in the thread:

I don't really buy that theory. I keep my phone on silent almost all the time and never have I wondered if I've locked my phone in my pocket. Pressing the button is pretty obvious.

joejoejoe
Sep 25, 2013, 12:31 PM
Let me clarify, I have no problem with text tones, nor ringtones when someone gets a call. Why? Because those are necessary. I have a problem with keyboard clicks. Why? Because they aren't necessary. There is no need whatsoever for them. And, a text message tone comes every few minutes, a call the same or even less frequency. Keyboard clicks are hundreds per minute.

I have nothing against youth - but there's something to be said for lack of understanding and common courtesy.

----------

As I said in my most recent post - I have no problem with things that are necessary. But again, keyboard clicks are completely unecessary. There is absolutely no reason to hear a click sound every time you touch your keyboard, and if there is, keep it to yourself. Breathing is natural and necessary, and most people's breathing can only be heard if you are right next to them, not across the room or down the subway car.

And, it's not just me. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=564361 Responders here even mention how they'll have it on when by themselves, but turn it off when it public as they realize it can be a nuisance. Some people have a lot to learn in life.

Wow man, you're really anal.

I'm much older than 18, and don't have a problem if I hear keyboard clicks, unless, like he stated, it's in a movie theater, library, museum... somewhere where silence is the status quo.

Someone using keyboard clicks and not abiding by your definition of common courtesy does not mean they have a lot to learn in life. It simply shows that you like to impose your codes and values onto other people. Most people I know don't care. In fact, I've never once met someone who voiced so much annoyance towards keyboard clicks as you have. You are in the minority, in my experience. And in my experience, keyboard clicks aren't annoying. I see how in your experience, they are.

See how people can have different perspectives and views on life? It's really eye opening once you think about it, that people feel differently towards the same thing, and common courtesy does not extend universally (even though the words common courtesy suggest otherwise).

I think it's great you have an opinion and you like to share it. I think it's offensive for you to impose your beliefs on others, and assume that others have a lot they need to learn in life by analyzing their reaction to sound coming from a phone that you find annoying.

If anything, my dear macrumors forums comrade, you should learn not to judge and speak of other peoples' lives and what they need to learn unless you have at least met them and know them well. It's rude. And it's not common courtesy.

Tyler23
Sep 25, 2013, 12:42 PM
Wow man, you're really anal.

I'm much older than 18, and don't have a problem if I hear keyboard clicks, unless, like he stated, it's in a movie theater, library, museum... somewhere where silence is the status quo.

Someone using keyboard clicks and not abiding by your definition of common courtesy does not mean they have a lot to learn in life. It simply shows that you like to impose your codes and values onto other people. Most people I know don't care. In fact, I've never once met someone who voiced so much annoyance towards keyboard clicks as you have. You are in the minority, in my experience. And in my experience, keyboard clicks aren't annoying. I see how in your experience, they are.

See how people can have different perspectives and views on life? It's really eye opening once you think about it, that people feel differently towards the same thing, and common courtesy does not extend universally (even though the words common courtesy suggest otherwise).

I think it's great you have an opinion and you like to share it. I think it's offensive for you to impose your beliefs on others, and assume that others have a lot they need to learn in life by analyzing their reaction to sound coming from a phone that you find annoying.

If anything, my dear macrumors forums comrade, you should learn not to judge and speak of other peoples' lives and what they need to learn unless you have at least met them and know them well. It's rude. And it's not common courtesy.

I have travelled much of the world and dealt with people from many walks of life. I understand what you are saying and appreciate how you laid it out. I understand that people have different opinions - I like blue, and I hate the color yellow. My fiancee loves the color yellow - so we compromise on things.

We have differing opinions, I still find it inconsiderate to use keyboard clicks out in public. I don't listen to music through speakerphone when I'm on a plane, in a bus, on a subway, etc..I use my headphones. Why? Because I know not everyone wants to hear my music. I also don't use keyboard clicks because they annoy me, yes. But even if they didn't, I would turn them off when others could hear them as I could understand how they would be annoying to others. Same reason I also turn down my stereo in my car when stopped at a light.

I appreciate your response - seems level headed, and I admit the issue irks me so my previous responses may have not been level-headed. I'm not attempting to offend anyone, just stating my opinion on the matter.

joejoejoe
Sep 25, 2013, 01:05 PM
I have travelled much of the world and dealt with people from many walks of life. I understand what you are saying and appreciate how you laid it out. I understand that people have different opinions - I like blue, and I hate the color yellow. My fiancee loves the color yellow - so we compromise on things.

We have differing opinions, I still find it inconsiderate to use keyboard clicks out in public. I don't listen to music through speakerphone when I'm on a plane, in a bus, on a subway, etc..I use my headphones. Why? Because I know not everyone wants to hear my music. I also don't use keyboard clicks because they annoy me, yes. But even if they didn't, I would turn them off when others could hear them as I could understand how they would be annoying to others. Same reason I also turn down my stereo in my car when stopped at a light.

I appreciate your response - seems level headed, and I admit the issue irks me so my previous responses may have not been level-headed. I'm not attempting to offend anyone, just stating my opinion on the matter.

all good pal!

Smith288
Sep 25, 2013, 01:08 PM
I don't really buy that theory. I keep my phone on silent almost all the time and never have I wondered if I've locked my phone in my pocket. Pressing the button is pretty obvious.

You don't have to buy it. Im just saying that's what audio queues are for. If you are in silent, then you don't care for the audio queue since you bypassed it.

Small White Car
Sep 25, 2013, 01:19 PM
See how people can have different perspectives and views on life?

And sometimes someone's perspectives are just plain wrong.

Chewing food with your mouth open: wrong
Talking on the phone in a movie theater: wrong
Wiping your boogers on a stranger's sleeve: wrong
Leaving the typing sounds on in public: wrong
Running over dogs with your car on purpose: wrong

It's great that you everything as an opinion, but I'm saying that some things just aren't.

(And I'm someone who loves the keyboard click sounds.)

Cougarcat
Sep 25, 2013, 01:25 PM
You don't have to buy it. Im just saying that's what audio queues are for. If you are in silent, then you don't care for the audio queue since you bypassed it.

That's a good point.

gentlefury
Sep 25, 2013, 01:36 PM

It's already been discussed. The lock sound is an aural confirmation that your screen has locked. Say you lock it after its away from your face. You know it locked because you heard it. Unlocking requires a visual confirmation since you have to actually look at the screen. You know it unlocked BECAUSE YOU CAN SEE IT! Having a sound cue is completely redundant and only there to say...LOOK AT ME, I HAVE AN IPHONE!!!! Same with the pointless and annoying keyboard clicking.

C DM
Sep 25, 2013, 02:28 PM
The lock sound I can understand (although I don't use it and too find it nearly pointless). Some people will start moving their phones to their pockets, and even putting them in (if their pockets are big enough) before locking the phone. The lock sound lets them know it was locked, since they're not looking at it.

The unlock sound I never understood.As I said earlier in the thread:It's already been discussed. The lock sound is an aural confirmation that your screen has locked. Say you lock it after its away from your face. You know it locked because you heard it. Unlocking requires a visual confirmation since you have to actually look at the screen. You know it unlocked BECAUSE YOU CAN SEE IT! Having a sound cue is completely redundant and only there to say...LOOK AT ME, I HAVE AN IPHONE!!!! Same with the pointless and annoying keyboard clicking.I would say that kind of lock case is probably fairly slim as most people don't do that kind of thing with their phone and/or don't really wait for some sort of audible confirmation. I'm sure that some do, but it's probably a comparable number to those who might have accidentally unlocks in their purses or pockets and would love to hear an audible alert about that, or those that like to hear the unlock sound for whatever other reason. If there's some reasoning for lock sound over unlock sound, it doesn't seem to be really that much bigger of a reason that would justify leaving one sound but removing another sound (assuming it was an actual design decision).

Smith288
Sep 26, 2013, 07:43 PM
If there's some reasoning for lock sound over unlock sound, it doesn't seem to be really that much bigger of a reason that would justify leaving one sound but removing another sound (assuming it was an actual design decision).

It's been repeated numerous times. You don't really need to hear an unlock when you are visually looking at the screen where as a lock typically occurs while you are looking away so audio confirmation is a nice feature.

Go ahead and try it. Turn on your sounds and put the phone to your side and hit the lock. It's a warm cuddly feeling knowing it's no longer accepting input so it can be placed in your pocket.

Now unlock it and put it to your side and don't lock it yet put it in your pocket. Feel that creepy crawling feeling?? That's what the lock sound avoids.

C DM
Sep 26, 2013, 10:47 PM
It's been repeated numerous times. You don't really need to hear an unlock when you are visually looking at the screen where as a lock typically occurs while you are looking away so audio confirmation is a nice feature.

Go ahead and try it. Turn on your sounds and put the phone to your side and hit the lock. It's a warm cuddly feeling knowing it's no longer accepting input so it can be placed in your pocket.

Now unlock it and put it to your side and don't lock it yet put it in your pocket. Feel that creepy crawling feeling?? That's what the lock sound avoids.I understand that, but that warm feeling of a lock sound isn't all that more important than the warm feeling some get from an unlock sound. It might be a bit more useful by not exactly by so much that if something warranted removing the unlock sound then it would more than likely similarly warrant remiving the lock sound. Then again, Apple isn't exactly consistent in many aspects anyway, and hasn't been for some time.

Smith288
Sep 27, 2013, 03:01 PM
I understand that, but that warm feeling of a lock sound isn't all that more important than the warm feeling some get from an unlock sound. It might be a bit more useful by not exactly by so much that if something warranted removing the unlock sound then it would more than likely similarly warrant remiving the lock sound. Then again, Apple isn't exactly consistent in many aspects anyway, and hasn't been for some time.

Apple values the lock sound more than the unlock sound... That's who's opinion of what's important matters more I suppose.