Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lamerica80

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008
I agree, I miss that satisfying unlock sound!

But i also kinda like it without. I unlock my phone hundreds of times (i feel like) during a train ride for example and it feels more discreet this way.

They shouldve made it optional but thats not apple is it.

Smith288

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
Why do you need to know you unlocked your screen with an audio queue when you're looking at it?

I get locking...you could be placing it in your pocket and the sound confirms it's lockage but the sounds are meant as queues to a person. Unlocking a phone is an active action a user does as they are looking at the phone. You can't unlock a phone from your pocket or while not looking at it (at least for normal operation) so a sound to indicate it's been done seems out of place to me and apparently to apple as well.

The keyboard clicks sound is another I don't understand. The letter on the screen is the acknowledgment I need and doesn't require a sound which is why mine and about 98% of other iPhone users have it turned off. But I get the "why not give me the option" argument.

tgi

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2012
The keyboard clicks sound is another I don't understand. The letter on the screen is the acknowledgment I need and doesn't require a sound which is why mine and about 98% of other iPhone users have it turned off. But I get the "why not give me the option" argument.

I see nothing wrong with the clicks and have never disabled it. I guess I'm the 2% minority.

tgi

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2012
If you're in the privacy of your own home, sure - if you're in public, it's an incredible nuisance to those around you.

I have to disagree. You seriously get annoyed when you hear someone using their phone in public? Do you get mad at when you can hear the car's music next to you?

There are 2 things you could do if the noise of other people's phone bothers you.

1. Mind your own business.
2. Wear headphones.

Only places in public where I would get annoyed from the sound of someone's phone would be a library, movie theater, etc.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I have to disagree. You seriously get annoyed when you hear someone using their phone in public? Do you get mad at when you can hear the car's music next to you?

There are 2 things you could do if the noise of other people's phone bothers you.

1. Mind your own business.
2. Wear headphones.

Only places in public where I would get annoyed from the sound of someone's phone would be a library, movie theater, etc.

It's just common courtesy - same reason you don't talk in a movie theater. It's distracting, and no one wants to hear "click click click click" as someone just types away. How about the person typing wear headphones? That's why we use headphones to listen to music and don't walk around in public talking on our phones using speakerphone. No one else needs to hear everything that's going on with your phone.

Why should other people have to put on headphones just so they don't hear your keyboard clicking every time you text or search the web? I'm not saying anything is right or wrong, but it's just decent. Just because you don't find it annoying, it's not very courteous to assume that everyone feels the same way.

I'm going to guess you're no older than 18, based on your response. And if not, I hope someone in your work place has their keyboard click on and texts all day long.

Last edited:

tgi

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2012
It's just common courtesy - same reason you don't talk in a movie theater. It's distracting, and no one wants to hear "click click click click" as someone just types away. How about the person typing wear headphones? That's why we use headphones to listen to music and don't walk around in public talking on our phones using speakerphone. No one else needs to hear everything that's going on with your phone.

Why should other people have to put on headphones just so they don't hear your keyboard clicking every time you text or search the web? I'm not saying anything is right or wrong, but it's just decent. Just because you don't find it annoying, it's not very courteous to assume that everyone feels the same way.

I'm going to guess you're no older than 18, based on your response. And if not, I hope someone in your work place has their keyboard click on and texts all day long.

You are correct in assuming my age, bravo. Thanks for sharing your opinion. I can see that you are easily irritated. Now I know how a simple keyboard click would annoy you.

Oh yeah, I hear notification alerts from other's around me all day. Doesn't bother me one bit. Good luck getting your jimmies rustled over someone receiving a text message.

abshole765

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013

Im surprised you aren't bothered by the sound of yourself or others breathing.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
You are correct in assuming my age, bravo. Thanks for sharing your opinion. I can see that you are easily irritated. Now I know how a simple keyboard click would annoy you.

Oh yeah, I hear notification alerts from other's around me all day. Doesn't bother me one bit. Good luck getting your jimmies rustled over someone receiving a text message.

Let me clarify, I have no problem with text tones, nor ringtones when someone gets a call. Why? Because those are necessary. I have a problem with keyboard clicks. Why? Because they aren't necessary. There is no need whatsoever for them. And, a text message tone comes every few minutes, a call the same or even less frequency. Keyboard clicks are hundreds per minute.

I have nothing against youth - but there's something to be said for lack of understanding and common courtesy.

----------

As I said in my most recent post - I have no problem with things that are necessary. But again, keyboard clicks are completely unecessary. There is absolutely no reason to hear a click sound every time you touch your keyboard, and if there is, keep it to yourself. Breathing is natural and necessary, and most people's breathing can only be heard if you are right next to them, not across the room or down the subway car.

And, it's not just me. https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/564361/ Responders here even mention how they'll have it on when by themselves, but turn it off when it public as they realize it can be a nuisance. Some people have a lot to learn in life.

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
If you're in the privacy of your own home, sure - if you're in public, it's an incredible nuisance to those around you.

Oh man, agree 110%!!! I freaking HATE working and someone is clicking their phone all day!!! You can see the words your typing...do you have to share it with everyone around you??? It's a phone, not a typewriter!!

Smith288

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
The impaired.

Are you impaired? Because if so, then it would be understandable to have audio queues to when activities have occurred. If you're not impaired, what benefit is it?

----------

You are that clueless about practicing common courtesy of others around you?

Breathing, being a total natural instinctive activity, doesn't annoy people... keyboard sound effects, are one of the very few sounds that an iPhone emits that make me stare at the offender like they have farted in an elevator.

abshole765

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Are you impaired? Because if so, then it would be understandable to have audio queues to when activities have occurred. If you're not impaired, what benefit is it?

----------

You are that clueless about practicing common courtesy of others around you?

Breathing, being a total natural instinctive activity, doesn't annoy people... keyboard sound effects, are one of the very few sounds that an iPhone emits that make me stare at the offender like they have farted in an elevator.

Impaired? No. But having a sound effect for one thing but not the other is half assed.

And yeah, people breathing loudly does bother me, and I can guarantee I'm not alone on that.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
QUESTION: Only for those of you who already OWN an iPhone 5s: does the Touch ID give you audio feedback when it identifies your fingerprint?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.