PDA

View Full Version : Here is the reason for excessive battery drain(probably)

Poly
Sep 22, 2013, 01:48 PM
So i tried everything written here to improve my battery life. Nothing helped.

BY ACCIDENT i turned off the mobile data network(not 3G) and had only wifi turned on.
And BOOOM my 4S runs as long as with iOS6!

This basically shows that there is a bug in iOS7 with handling wifi/mobile data settings.

Maybe someone can try this out and confirm my findings.

SandboxGeneral
Sep 22, 2013, 01:50 PM
Which iDevice are you using?

MinEderPlayz
Sep 22, 2013, 01:51 PM
You read his post?

adamgbiggs
Sep 22, 2013, 01:52 PM
4S lol ;-)

SandboxGeneral
Sep 22, 2013, 01:53 PM
You read his post?

Yeah, okay I see it now. I don't have my glasses on.

MinEderPlayz
Sep 22, 2013, 01:55 PM
I think I read somewhere iOS 7 supports MCTCP so multiple connection types. If it is on WiFi it will still look for a fallback cellular network as soon as WiFi fails for a short time.

muuhamed
Sep 22, 2013, 01:56 PM
Yeah, okay I see it now. I don't have my glasses on.

Sure you dont

OP: I will give this a try

Altis
Sep 22, 2013, 02:11 PM
I had to "Reset All Settings" and "Reset Network Settings" for my 4S to have the battery life that it did on iOS 7.

I'm wondering if this resets the cellular data bug that's eating up the battery.

Definitely worth a try!

biosci
Sep 22, 2013, 02:13 PM
I think I read somewhere iOS 7 supports MCTCP so multiple connection types. If it is on WiFi it will still look for a fallback cellular network as soon as WiFi fails for a short time.

The multiple TCP thing I thought was for SIRI though since it needs to find the best way to get some of your voice data to servers for processing. Whether that be cellular or WiFi if available.

Poly
Sep 22, 2013, 02:21 PM
Sure you dont

OP: I will give this a try

When you are on the go you'll have to turn off wifi and switch mobile network on, of course :)

ajay96
Sep 22, 2013, 02:28 PM
Yeah it does save a lot. I've been doing this since the betas.

chriscl
Sep 22, 2013, 02:36 PM
When I upgraded to iOS 7, as soon as I rebooted my iPhone picked up a Cellular Network settings update (my network is EE in the UK).

I'm getting battery life just as good as I did on iOS 6 on my iPhone 5.

Poly
Sep 22, 2013, 03:12 PM
Well since my battery just instantly went from 22% down to 14% i don't know if my claim is true :/

TheRealVertical
Sep 22, 2013, 05:25 PM
I'm on an iPod Touch with no cell, obviously, and the battery drain is evident to me. So I don't think it's (solely) attributable to Cellular management.

Zcott
Sep 22, 2013, 06:02 PM
Breaking news, turning off features saves battery life. Who'd have thought it?

scottytwo
Sep 22, 2013, 09:38 PM
i thought this too. has anyone else noticed that wifi doesn't disconnect the way that it used to in 6.1.3 when screen is inactive? Perhaps apple need to work on a power save feature (oh please god).

timeout wifi / cellular data when screen inactive > defined period. I'd happily take a hit on push if it meant longer talk time and sms notifications until I checked my phone again.

apple-5cs
Sep 22, 2013, 09:40 PM
It's to the point now where I don't even use my 3G phone service any more. Too much charging.

Yes, now I am using an iPhone 5 with airplane mode and wifi everyday and VOIP wifi calling and texting.

Yes.

lobeyonekenobi
Sep 22, 2013, 09:47 PM
I'm on an iPod Touch with no cell, obviously, and the battery drain is evident to me. So I don't think it's (solely) attributable to Cellular management.

Same here seems to be going down a bit quicker:mad:

webitorgal
Sep 23, 2013, 09:58 AM
Tried pretty much everything. I think it's an app issue (but I just can't isolate which one - people seem to say FB, though) as I had decent battery life on Thursday and Friday, but things became worse on Saturday (as noted in other threads). I am pretty sure I updated a few apps either Friday evening or Saturday morning.

cpnotebook80
Sep 23, 2013, 10:03 AM
Tried pretty much everything. I think it's an app issue (but I just can't isolate which one - people seem to say FB, though) as I had decent battery life on Thursday and Friday, but things became worse on Saturday (as noted in other threads). I am pretty sure I updated a few apps either Friday evening or Saturday morning.

I agree, when i first updated, battery life tanked on my ip5. Then all the apps updated and battery life was good. So i think some of if has to do with app compatibility with ios7. I got 8 hrs of use till I charged it at 29% last evening.

nooaah
Sep 23, 2013, 10:06 AM
Could be background apps? My battery life over several devices (iPad Mini, iPhone 4, iPhone 5, iPhone 5s) has been outstanding with iOS 7. I used my 5s literally nonstop for 4 hours and it still had over 50%. The only thing that really kills it is Infinity Blade 3.

SandboxGeneral
Sep 23, 2013, 10:07 AM
If I recall correctly, under iOS 6 I had the auto-brightness turned off and kept it around 50% - 60%. I discovered the other day that auto was turned on in iOS, so I turned it off and set the brightness back down.

So far it seems to be holding up better. I would turn it down, then later the auto would turn it back up and I think that's where my drain was coming from.

Yptcn
Sep 23, 2013, 10:18 AM
As far as I'm concerned turning off the parallax effect has changed my battery in a huge way. After a bit over 3h standby and 30mn of use I'm still 100%

OK , I know 30mn of use isn't much , but still much much more that what I got before turning parallax off… and I can put my own photos as screens :cool:

SandboxGeneral
Sep 23, 2013, 10:20 AM
As far as I'm concerned turning off the parallax effect has changed my battery in a huge way. After a bit over 3h standby and 30mn of use I'm still 100%

OK , I know 30mn of use isn't much , but still much much more that what I got before turning parallax off… and I can put my own photos as screens :cool:

I had the opposite effect, turning parallax off didn't make any noticeable difference.

I wish these issues were more consistent. Too many of us have varying things that make a difference.

JeffNT326
Sep 23, 2013, 10:22 AM
Somehow iOS 7 turned back on some of my mail fetch settings. I have it set to manual with no push and and fetch. After discovering this, I regained what I thought was battery loss due to the upgrade.

After fixing this issue, battery life under iOS 7 has been pretty outstanding for me (using iPhone 5 64gb serial: 1G series).

TJ61
Sep 23, 2013, 10:31 AM
First off, I'll be the first to say that such anecdotal evidence of increased battery usage is VERY hard to pin down to any one particular source. But my experience over the weekend does suggest to me that I'm experiencing increased battery drain on my 4S with iOS7 in the following use case:

Biking for ~1.5 hours, same trail as before, with the following running
MotionX GPS in foreground, screen on all the time
Downcast playing podcasts, bluetoothing to my earbud

Battery used to go from the 90's % down to 40-50%, but yesterday it dropped below 20% (and started in the very high 90's).

So, whatever the reason, something is definitely different.

Todd B.
Sep 23, 2013, 11:14 AM
I have a 4S and an iPad Mini and haven't noticed any problems (aside from when I first installed; I assume that's because background app refresh is still learning).

The only thing I turned off was Bluetooth, because I have no use for it and it's nothing but a huge drain. I typically plug back in about once every 24 hours.