PDA

View Full Version : iOS7 Messages Storage Glitch?

Maskusee
Sep 22, 2013, 02:47 PM
I went into iPhone settings -> General -> Usage.

Then waited till storage loaded up and it shows Messages and it shows 5.7 GB saved?

Anyone have any clue what this is??

jr866gooner
Sep 22, 2013, 02:49 PM
Must be a glitch, restart your device

haydn!
Sep 22, 2013, 02:49 PM
I don't think it's glitch.

I'm guessing you have a lot of texts... and it will also include any images, videos, audio sent by MMS as well.

Maskusee
Sep 22, 2013, 02:52 PM
I don't think it's glitch.

I'm guessing you have a lot of texts... and it will also include any images, videos, audio sent by MMS as well.

Did a hard reboot, and deleted all my messages (MMS, SMS), still shows 5.7 Gigs under storage.

hafr
Sep 22, 2013, 02:53 PM
Did a hard reboot, and deleted all my messages (MMS, SMS), still shows 5.7 Gigs under storage.

- Make a backup in iTunes
- open iBackupBot
- go to the relevant backup
- hit Other Multimedia Files (you might have to click on the tab afterwards, in case it goes straight to camera roll instead)
- sort by filename by clicking the Filename tab
- go to MediaDomain/Library/SMS/Attachments and highlight all of them.

Now you can delete them all by right-clicking and choosing delete (you might want to export them first, up to you), close iBackupBot and restore to backup in iTunes.

Tadaa! Space recovered, texts/SMS/messages (whatever you call them) still there!

Nolander07
Sep 22, 2013, 02:56 PM
What worked for me was to reinstall iOS 7 and restore from a recent icloud backup. My message data went down to 5 mb, which represented the text messages I actually have on my phone.

Maskusee
Sep 22, 2013, 07:11 PM
Thank you guys for you responses.

I must have gotten lucky. Wiped the phone clean, and did a restore from a back up (pre iOS7), then did a reinstall of iOS7.

Now shows 57 mb under Messages.

----------

What worked for me was to reinstall iOS 7 and restore from a recent icloud backup. My message data went down to 5 mb, which represented the text messages I actually have on my phone.

Thank You !!!!
This worked for me.