PDA

View Full Version : What are the chances apple updates the Music app to split up albums?

DaGrandMastah
Sep 22, 2013, 08:54 PM
Anyone wanna take a guess? I think io7 is awesome but the music app is flawed as hell the way it's set up. Why do i have to scroll through a hundred songs of an artists to get to a specific album? They dropped the ball there and it's an easy fix.

Armen
Sep 22, 2013, 08:56 PM
Anyone wanna take a guess? I think io7 is awesome but the music app is flawed as hell the way it's set up. Why do i have to scroll through a hundred songs of an artists to get to a specific album? They dropped the ball there and it's an easy fix.

I'm not quite sure I follow. Why wouldn't you just go to an artist and then albums?

RobbyIdol
Sep 22, 2013, 08:57 PM
Not to mention you cannot add full albums of songs to a playlist you make on the phone anymore -- have to add each song individually. The music app is LACKING functionality that iOS 6 used to have! :mad:

And the white border around the album art when playing a song is really obnoxious. This app needs an update BAD.

DaGrandMastah
Sep 22, 2013, 09:13 PM
I'm not quite sure I follow. Why wouldn't you just go to an artist and then albums?

Sorry. I meant to say that you should be able to view a list of all the albums and click on each one. The way it's set up now is way too cluttered and makes it way too hard to search for the album/track you want.

darkfiber
Sep 23, 2013, 01:29 AM

I know exactly what you mean. I haven't the slightest idea why they thought it needed to be changed in iOS 7.

In iOS 6 and earlier when you were in the Music player and selected ARTIST it would show a list sorted by artist. When you selected the artist you wanted, it would show a list of their albums. Then you could select the album and see the list of songs. In iOS 7 after you select Artist, it displays the album and every track, so you have to scroll down through not only the album but every track on that album. That was a really stupid change on Apple's part. Makes no sense.

Here is the list of albums under iOS 6.x...

http://www.digitalcameraobscura.com/photos/iOS6_Music_Artist_List.jpg

and here is what is looks like under iOS 7.0

http://www.digitalcameraobscura.com/photos/iOS7_Music_Artist_List.jpg

In iOS 7.0 you have to scroll down through all the songs to see the other albums. That can be a really pain if you have a large music collection.

vastoholic
Sep 23, 2013, 02:20 AM
This is only major complaint with iOS 7 so far. I constantly use the music app so it gets pretty old pretty fast. I didn't realize at first that when you play an album, it will continue right into the next album (instead of just repeating that album by default or stopping, depending on if repeat is on or not) unless you tap the little bar icon in the top right of the app to show only the songs in that one album.

Iamjhil
Sep 23, 2013, 08:08 AM
Yes. I love ios7. I hate the music app with a passion.

those giant album artworks make it a pain in the ass to scroll to a artist or album.

I also love just diving into an individual album.

and lastly my biggest issue is the 'complete this album on itunes' don't push your music store into my own personal collection. it's just tacky. and annoying.

adder7712
Sep 23, 2013, 08:11 AM
Odd, there's an Album view on the iPad.

DaGrandMastah
Sep 23, 2013, 09:34 AM
Odd, there's an Album view on the iPad.

There is an album view on the iphone but it literally takes every single album you have and puts them in alphabetical order. They need to take the album view and incorporate that into the artist view for users who prefer (make it a toggle in the settings) to have their artists/albums incorporated like that.

darngooddesign
Sep 23, 2013, 09:57 AM
Album View:
What I do like about the new system is that my compilations aren't all jammed together because the artist is called "Various". It needs a toggle to decide if you want albums organized by Artist or listed Alphabetically.

Artist View:
I keep very few complete albums on my iPhone, a while back I decided I'd rather have a wider selection of music on my iPhone so I have a playlist with four or five maximum songs from each album/ep. This is what I keep on my phone. So even one of my favorite bands, Front Line Assembly only has 81 songs from 26 albums, and I'm as likely to shuffle all of their songs. This means that the current system works fine for me for the most part, but were my library to be centered around fewer complete albums I would like a toggle that allows me to see a list of FLA's albums, which upon selecting I would only see that album.

Basically the Music Setting pane needs finer control. This would allow them to experiment with new methods of organization because we can choose alternate methods.

chriscl
Sep 23, 2013, 03:47 PM
The other annoying thing for me about this new Music app and its odd album view is that you can no longer repeat *one* album - your only options are to "repeat Artist" (which repeats *everything* by that artist) or "repeat Song" (which just repeats the current song).

What I like to do - especially if I've just bought it - is to have one album on repeat, so I can listen to it, repeatedly!

I can't do that any more, unless I create a Playlist, and add the Album's tracks to that Playlist, and then repeat the Playlist.

Doable, but a nuisance.

Some albums - especially "live" works - are designed to be played as one long piece of music.

Sep 23, 2013, 03:55 PM

Fact is, the iOS Music app has ALWAYS been a train wreck, and most probably the worst Apple-native iOS app EVER (perhaps after Podcasts):

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-20122563-37/how-apple-screwed-up-the-ipad-music-app-with-ios-5/

macslayer118
Sep 23, 2013, 10:49 PM
The other annoying thing for me about this new Music app and its odd album view is that you can no longer repeat *one* album - your only options are to "repeat Artist" (which repeats *everything* by that artist) or "repeat Song" (which just repeats the current song).

What I like to do - especially if I've just bought it - is to have one album on repeat, so I can listen to it, repeatedly!

I can't do that any more, unless I create a Playlist, and add the Album's tracks to that Playlist, and then repeat the Playlist.

Doable, but a nuisance.

Some albums - especially "live" works - are designed to be played as one long piece of music.

You could use the "Albums" button under more to play one album. It's an alpha list and not sorted by artist which I HATE, but it seems easier than this method.

dannyyankou
Sep 23, 2013, 10:56 PM
I think the negative response will make them change the music app somehow. Almost everyone seems to hate it, and it's one of the only things I don't like about iOS 7.

anderszz
Oct 3, 2013, 06:25 AM

Doable, but a nuisance.

I actually found a way today of how (sort of) fix this problem without having to go to the "Album" section every time I want to repeat a specific album. This is how you can do:

1. From the "Artist" view choose the artist and album you want to play (like you mentioned you will now be able to read "playing song 1 out of (all the other songs performed by that artist - which we don't want)

2. If you now, while you are in the "Now playing" screen, double tap on the album cover or tap at the upper right icon you will get the option to choose another song from that particular album.

3. Choose another song than the one now playing. Done. You will now be able to only repeat that album.

I know it's not the ideal solution, but it's better than having to switch between artist and album-view. Hope it will be found useful :)