PDA

View Full Version : iOS 7 Random reboots/respring

Xytal
Sep 23, 2013, 03:16 AM
Anyone else have this issue? I'll be going along, doing something on my phone and all of the sudden, it seems to reboot. The screen goes back, I sometimes gets the working spinning wheel when the screen goes black, but mostly it shows me the apple symbol for a few seconds until it's back. It seems more like respring than a reboot, but I have no idea.

I have launch day 5s, and my friends girlfriend had it happen once on her phone as well. I've seen some posts (thanks to google) about other people having random restarts.

I'm just trying to figure out if it's my phone or if it's iOS 7. I think the issue (for me) might be exasperated by playing infinity blade 3, but I don't have any real hard proof of that.

Anyone have this happen or have some thoughts?

And before anyone asks, I did set my 5s up as a brand new phone; no restore done.

dieselm
Sep 23, 2013, 03:24 AM
It started happening to me today too. 3 times. Spontaneous 'reboot' to a white apple logo on black screen. Wasn't related to any specific immediate action or app. Just using it normally, not doing anything special and it happens.

Don't know if it's hardware or software.

Grey 64gb 5s.

bandofbrothers
Sep 23, 2013, 03:27 AM
Apple Genius Bar Appointment.

Make one.

emseven
Sep 23, 2013, 04:06 AM
7.0.1?

icemantx
Sep 23, 2013, 04:41 AM
This has happened to me too ok my 32GB iPhone 5. I think iOS 7 would still be in Beta were they not forced to release it along with the new iPhones. They may have been better off delaying the iPhone 5s and 5c launch to iron our some of these bugs before mass release.

syd430
Sep 23, 2013, 07:52 AM
Had a full reboot (Apple logo appearing) on my iPad 4 (iOS 7.0). I've also had my 5S respring immediately after opening settings on 2 separate occasions (iOS 7.0.1).

musika
Sep 23, 2013, 07:54 AM
I've seen this about 5 times since purchasing my 5s on launch day.

I've got a thread about it here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1643050

Xytal
Sep 23, 2013, 11:23 PM
Sorry for the late reply, it's been a Monday. =\

Make one.

I'd rather not if I can help it. Especially since they could "fix it" by giving me a new phone that turns around and does it because it's software. =\

7.0.1?
Yep, updated to it the afternoon I got my phone.

I've seen this about 5 times since purchasing my 5s on launch day.

I've got a thread about it here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1643050

Thanks, I'll check it out!

Max(IT)
Sep 23, 2013, 11:30 PM
I don't think it's software related, because I had none in my iPhone 5 and my iPad 4 (iOS 7 since release and pretty intensive use of them).

ELSELS
Sep 23, 2013, 11:46 PM
Anyone else have this issue? I'll be going along, doing something on my phone and all of the sudden, it seems to reboot. The screen goes back, I sometimes gets the working spinning wheel when the screen goes black, but mostly it shows me the apple symbol for a few seconds until it's back. It seems more like respring than a reboot, but I have no idea.

Hello:

Yes, I noticed it just a short time ago.

I have an iPad 4 - iOS 7 installed.

I'm relatively "new" to using the iPad. :) - There's a lot I don't know how to do using it yet, but enjoying the learning process.

I installed updates to my APPS - and/or installing "NEW" APPS, and then it all-of-a-sudden - POPS up the APPLE LOGO...

I was thinking that seemed "odd", but maybe that is how Apple iPads work, rebooting after an APP, (program) is installed?

I have (had) no clue that now it seems somewhat apparent, this issue is also occurring with other Owners/Users with their Apply devices too?

Is there any chance of corrupting the actual iOS 7 during these moments of "wild and unforeseen" reboots?

I wonder, hope not...

Thanks for reading,

Have a nice day...

Ed

syd430
Sep 23, 2013, 11:48 PM
I don't think it's software related, because I had none in my iPhone 5 and my iPad 4 (iOS 7 since release and pretty intensive use of them).

It's happened on my iPad 4 running 7.0 twice, and twice on my 5S running 7.0.1.

samanthas
Sep 24, 2013, 12:18 AM
My ipad 3 running 7.0 rebooted yesterday. I think I was just surfing the web while listening to itunes radio. Hopefully it doesn't happen again.

ELSELS
Sep 24, 2013, 12:28 AM
Hello:

Yes, I hope it doesn't re-occur again for you, others, and myself. :)

I am somewhat concerned, that, (if the iPad, or other iOS devices) are "based on computer" designs, as I think, you certainly wouldn't "want" any regular computer (PC and/or MAC), to periodically "reboot" (crash) without a way to fix/solve the matter.

I'm mostly concerned, what if during one of this random reboots, IT DOESN'T actually reboot, and doesn't restart? :eek:

Then what? Are we (I wonder). going to be able to connect to iTunes, hopefully have it detect our device and offer us the ability to restore?

I have been doing the iTunes "Back-Up" on a more than often basis now, since this rebooting randomly has been happening.

Ed

ZeldaFan2435
Sep 25, 2013, 05:52 AM
Hey I'm also having this problem but on my Ipod Touch 5g 32gb. I was scrolling through the home screen when the screen when black and showed the apple logo. I was wondering if there is a way to fix it or my software corrupted.

Juanefny
Sep 27, 2013, 11:32 AM
Any updates from anyone? I am beginning to think it's a hardware issue b/c the issue does not seem to be widespread. I read in another thread that getting rid of a dynamic wallpaper and getting rid of of the parallax effect would get rid of the problem, but my phone just rebooted again this morning despite me changing those settings. I'm running 7.0.2 right now fyi.

sbailey4
Sep 27, 2013, 12:13 PM
Any updates from anyone? I am beginning to think it's a hardware issue b/c the issue does not seem to be widespread. I read in another thread that getting rid of a dynamic wallpaper and getting rid of of the parallax effect would get rid of the problem, but my phone just rebooted again this morning despite me changing those settings. I'm running 7.0.2 right now fyi.

Same here but ONLY a few days ago it started. I was running iOS7 GM version since its release and no issues until a few days ago. Then did it about 3 times. I did a DFU restore yesterday (Thursday am) to iOS7 then 7.0.2 dropped shortly afterwards so OTA updated to that. So far hasn't happened since the restore. It is like a fast reboot as the apple logo shows for seconds then back up. Seems faster than a reboot or start from totally off. I am using a 4s for the record.

[Edit] I also read somewhere (cant remember where) that it could be due to background app refresh. I only had weather enabled on that one but did turn it off totally. Cant remember if I did that before or after the DFU restore. Probably worth a try before any restoring. I already had Parallax and auto app update turned off.

Juanefny
Sep 27, 2013, 12:15 PM
Same here but ONLY a few days ago it started. I was running iOS7 GM version since its release and no issues until a few days ago. Then did it about 3 times. I did a DFU restore yesterday (Thursday am) to iOS7 then 7.0.2 dropped shortly afterwards so OTA updated to that. So far hasn't happened since the restore. It is like a fast reboot as the apple logo shows for seconds then back up. Seems faster than a reboot or start from totally off. I am using a 4s for the record.

I am going to backup to itunes and try doing a hard reset of the phone. We'll see if it happens after that.

jbimler
Sep 27, 2013, 12:19 PM
I'm having the same problem except sometimes it just seems to lock up and I can't even get anything to show on the screen. I do the manual reboot holding power and home button and get the apple logo. I'm seeing panic.plist errors in the diagnostic area.

https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/u/0/?ui=2&ik=a5f0152c8f&view=att&th=141604b5c0ebf342&attid=0.1&disp=inline&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P9eSImGA3cQ7ySfPRu5nDqg&sadet=1380302354963&sads=z7dIJ3FXz3it8gHdO9zACU0mWLQ

charlituna
Sep 27, 2013, 02:41 PM
Sorry for the late reply, it's been a Monday. =\

I'd rather not if I can help it. Especially since they could "fix it" by giving me a new phone that turns around and does it because it's software. =\

But if it's not wouldn't you rather have it replaced now while they might be in failure analysis mode and would give you a fresh retail swap (which also resets your warranty date by those few days) etc.

Make the appointment, bring your whole box, have a current backup and see what happens. Don't do any kind of updates or restores so they have the full diags data. That might be what pushes you from 'it's just software' to hardware.

----------

I was thinking that seemed "odd", but maybe that is how Apple iPads work, rebooting after an APP, (program) is installed?

Nope. Only iOS updates require a reboot.

Random reboots will happen but it shouldn't be after all installs of store downloaded apps.

Make sure you are consistently backing up and you will be okay if it doesn't reboot one day.

But I would make any appt or call apple care all the same. Better to waste a little time and find out its a software corruption now than ignore it, have it crash and not reboot and when you try to get it replaced you find out that you waited so long thinking its 'normal' that you are past warranty and have to pay to get it fixed.

A lot of new owners don't want to go to the store cause they are afraid they will be seen as nit picking jerks. But that is only true if you act like one. Go in calling the products and the company garbage and demanding a new one, well just don't. Make a proper appointment, have a backup and be there intent to learn and you will generally be treated very well.

----------

I have been doing the iTunes "Back-Up" on a more than often basis now, since this rebooting randomly has been happening.

Ed

I would set up iCloud and turn on the syncing and the backups as well. And copy photos to computer, not just have them in the backup.

Reason I say this is that sometimes corruption on the device can get carried into backups and corrupt them. So having two backups is good. Let iCloud do it's daily automatic one and you can still manually backup to iTunes.

cdd543
Sep 27, 2013, 03:27 PM
I had a number of reboots on my ip5 running iOS7 GM, but nothing with my 5S.

zipster
Sep 29, 2013, 09:52 PM
YES! That has happened to me twice in the past week.

I'm on the 5s.

Juanefny
Sep 29, 2013, 10:37 PM
I posted this in another thread, but I got an apt. with the genius and they swapped the phone. I set up as new and downloaded apps from the app store.. it's happening in the new phone. I really think it's an ios issue.

gamesetmatch
Sep 29, 2013, 11:56 PM
If my experience counts, I have not had any single random reboot since upgrading my iPhone 5 to iOS 7 and then to 7.0.2.

All the best,

^MPY.

simon48
Sep 30, 2013, 12:05 AM

Just because it hasn't happened on different hardware doesn't mean it's not a software issue, it could be a software problem on specific hardware.

yogibeartacodog
Sep 30, 2013, 08:32 AM
I've experienced the random reboot on my 4s and now on my 5s. I'm in the "software problem" camp, and I'm counting on a fix in an update. Really, it's strange, but not too much of an issue.

Max(IT)
Sep 30, 2013, 01:04 PM
Just because it hasn't happened on different hardware doesn't mean it's not a software issue, it could be a software problem on specific hardware.

Specific hardware ??? iPad 4 and iPhone 5 are all the same ....

stooovie
Sep 30, 2013, 01:58 PM
Same here. Two reboots on both iPhone 5 and iPad 4. Both on 7.0.2.

simon48
Sep 30, 2013, 02:14 PM
Specific hardware ??? iPad 4 and iPhone 5 are all the same ....

No, they are not. They are similar.

The iPhone has a Proximity sensor.

The screens are different sizes and have different ppi.

The CPU and GPU are very similar, but they are slightly different (the iPad is slightly more powerful).

The cameras are different.

The cellular chipsets are slightly different (some iPads don't even have a cellular chipset).

Only one of them can make phone calls.

I could go on. All it takes is for the software to have a slight bug with one of these things and it will only happen on one and not the other.

myrtlebee
Sep 30, 2013, 02:26 PM
A few days ago I was using iTunes radio and it simply went to the black screen with the Apple logo and reloaded (iPod touch 5th gen, 16gb). I have not caught it doing it any other time, but it might at random points in the day when I am not using it. Definitely a software issue, as it never happened on iOS 6.

andrewsjra
Sep 30, 2013, 02:56 PM
Happened to me on my iPhone 5 while placing my Bluetooth in discovery mode

Nanookfan
Sep 30, 2013, 03:41 PM
Count me in. Had the respring a couple of times now. 5S set up as a new phone, no restores from backups, running 7.0.2

eclipse01
Sep 30, 2013, 04:20 PM
Just happened to me for the first time

black screen
spinning wheel
apple logo
unlock screen

side note, I am still on 7.0 was wondering if 7.0.2 had anything to do with fixing this, but poster above me just proved that wrong

Juanefny
Sep 30, 2013, 05:35 PM
side note, I am still on 7.0 was wondering if 7.0.2 had anything to do with fixing this, but poster above me just proved that wrong

Nope, I've been on the updated software all along as soon as they come out.

Londongal76
Oct 2, 2013, 10:11 AM
I've started getting this just in the last week. FYI i've had IOS 7 on beta for 3 months and it's literally only just started happening.

iphone 5 64GB.

rtr1985
Oct 2, 2013, 03:11 PM
I have had it happen several times on a new iPhone 5S 32GB

Probably just going to return it and buy a new one. It keeps happening after complete reset, setup as new phone.

bpp85
Oct 2, 2013, 03:47 PM
It happened on my iPhone 5 twice, once when i opened settings and once with the music app! I think it's a software issue!

indieover
Oct 2, 2013, 09:54 PM
yeah I experience that a lot of times in a day till my battery drained. so it is a big problem but then yesterday it went okay after many boots. last night i recharged my battery after it drained then after an hour turned the phone on, almost fully charged, but then it kept on rebooting.

but after ten reboots it became stable so now my phone is not rebooting any more for five hours or more already.

but i do expect to experience this problem every time i just turned on my phone. and sometimes in the middle of normal working of the phone that it would suddenly turned off by itself and so need to turn it on again and experience some rebooting again before it becomes stable once more.

need a jailbreak to OS 6 for my iphone 4

Kurso
Oct 2, 2013, 10:00 PM
I'm on 7.0.2 and I had my first crash today. I was in the multi-tasking screen closing apps and it just rebooted.

In 3 years my iPhone 4 never crashes. I never expected my iPhone 5s to be that reliable because I know iOS 7 is not complete and was rushed to market.

Only happened once so far so it's not bothering me.

Handsome Bacon
Oct 2, 2013, 10:28 PM
Yep doing it to me on an 8 week old iPhone 5. Seems to happen (occasionally) when texts come in.

westonm
Oct 2, 2013, 10:41 PM
Turing off background app updates fixed my black screen/reboots.

Hopefully fixed soon in 7.x.

Juanefny
Oct 3, 2013, 09:44 AM

I'll have to try this. However, I know that bsod after using pages still happens even after doing this method.

Juanefny
Oct 5, 2013, 11:34 PM

While I haven't used the phone quite as much it hasn't rebooted once since I turned off the background app refresh

pballbeast
Oct 6, 2013, 02:32 PM
For those who have fixed it allegedly... Did you turn off background app refresh under general settings or automatic downloads of app updates in the App Store settings panel. Just wanted to make sure.

westonm
Oct 6, 2013, 02:33 PM
Background refresh.

PerfectCr
Oct 7, 2013, 07:39 AM
7.0.3. Same issue here! It is always when multitasking and quickly switching between apps. I get the same quick reboot, where I see the Apple logo and then it's back. I don't think this is a hardware problem.

I should note that this is on a 32 GB 5S, and that its happened on all three versions of iOS 7 so far.

gardiboy
Oct 7, 2013, 08:46 AM
7.0.3. Same issue here! It is always when multitasking and quickly switching between apps. I get the same quick reboot, where I see the Apple logo and then it's back. I don't think this is a hardware problem.

I should note that this is on a 32 GB 5S, and that its happened on all three versions of iOS 7 so far.

Same here! I think there is a bug in the multitasking menu.

JaySoul
Oct 7, 2013, 11:21 AM
My iPhone 5 has started doing it.

Ironically 7.0 was perfect, and now 7.0.2 has all the problems for me.

nathdogg
Oct 7, 2013, 12:08 PM
My iPhone 4S has started doing this. It has rebooted twice that I've noticed in the past couple of days.

Considering this is happening with others running different devices, I would almost certainly say this is a software issue which will hopefully get fixed soon.

ad2san
Oct 9, 2013, 02:48 PM

it is software related. I have the problem on one iphone 4S, 2 ipad 2, one iphone 5 .... until now only my 5S does not reboot randomly. Note that one ipad reboots daily at midnight if used 00:00 .... if this does not sound like a firmware bug how do you call it ?:p

sandwicher
Oct 10, 2013, 03:29 AM
Mine also respring (not reboot, since the time it took to return to the home screen was very short - 5 to 10 seconds)

iPhone 5 here.

jonasdamn
Oct 10, 2013, 04:37 AM
after one week usage, also got respring on my iPhone 5, wanted to unlock iPhone, baam restarted

flashflooder
Oct 10, 2013, 09:16 AM
my 5s resprings a lot. Seems to happen pretty reliably whenever I'm doing something in iRadio.

IPhoneHelperPro
Oct 10, 2013, 06:41 PM
Okay so, I am not from apple but I DO have A solution to this problem. It is not something you can do manually I will talk to apple my first chance and hopefully they will put it in the next ios...
Any questions or comments email me at: spencer@fogal.ca
YouTube: CDMSStudios

thegrants82
Oct 10, 2013, 06:50 PM
okay so, i am not from apple but i do have a solution to this problem. It is not something you can do manually i will talk to apple my first chance and hopefully they will put it in the next ios...
Any questions or comments email me at: spencer@fogal.ca
youtube: Cdmsstudios

lol........

IPhoneHelperPro
Oct 10, 2013, 07:10 PM
lol........

Lol?

Fantasigraphic
Oct 10, 2013, 09:11 PM
Im wondering if its the com.apple.AdminLite.plist launch daemon...

This daemon tries to return control of your device to you if it thinks that you are waiting for a lengthly process to respond. It does this by force-quitting the process

haruhiko
Oct 10, 2013, 09:16 PM

Make one.

Genius bar can't fix software bugs.

Double press home button to call out the multitasking interface, swipe up several times, boom restart.

bozzykid
Oct 10, 2013, 10:34 PM
Genius bar can't fix software bugs.

Double press home button to call out the multitasking interface, swipe up several times, boom restart.
Hardware issues can cause reboots as well. And if it a software bug the Apple Store employees should know about it.

Tuksu
Oct 16, 2013, 04:39 AM
I have iPhone 4 and 5, iPad 2 and iPad retina. With iOS 5 and 6, no problems, no reboots. Enter iOS 7 -> boom. Judging by multiple forum threads and own experience, most problems seem to circle around multitasking menu and streaming video apps; might be co-incidental, though, both are common activities. Definately not a hardware problem, unless all my toys have turned sour overnight.

My most common reboot scenario: Watch several episodes from a streaming video service with a dedicated app -> one of the episodes ends -> app gets killed -> device becomes unresponsive -> device reboots.

Any other experiences related to streaming video and rebooting?

sandwicher
Nov 2, 2013, 02:38 PM
My latest reboot on my iPhone 5 (7.0.3) occurred when i received an iMessage. I slide to unlock, BOOM!! REBOOT

Seriously? :confused::eek:

westonm
Nov 2, 2013, 03:15 PM
7.0.3 fixed the reboots I was having. There is an occasional stutter when unlocking, but it used to freeze at that point. (Background App Refresh is enabled.)

richard371
Nov 3, 2013, 05:45 PM
I had a springboard reset on my 5s Thursday. Was having dinner with a friend last night and his 5 got the apple logo. My ipad air just had a springboard reset. I hope apple fixes this soon. It's reminding me of the Treo 650 days.

digitalfailure
Nov 4, 2013, 02:58 PM
Just had a springboard moment after deleting an image from camera roll.

jonnyb098
Nov 4, 2013, 03:18 PM
My iPhone 5S and iPad 4 have random reboots ALL the time when using iTunes radio. Not a coincidence. This is pretty hilarious since Apple wants to push their radio service yet it randomly cuts out, replays songs and crashes the springboard. At 7.0.3 these problems are just stupidly ridiculous.

gamesetmatch
Nov 4, 2013, 04:53 PM
I've also experienced a random respring this afternoon on my iPhone 5.

I was just changing my wallpaper. After that, the Apple logo on the white background showed up and I was directed to the home screen. This respring took about 4 seconds. First time since insalling iOS7.

Overall satisfied with iOS, but I want 7.0.4 or even 7.1 -- I haven't heard any news about them lately.

All the best,
^MPY.

ultmtfloydian
Nov 7, 2013, 11:51 AM
After reading the other people having the same problem, I don't think it's just isolated primarily to the 5S. My 4S is having an awful time with these sporadic restarts..mostly anything having to do with iTunes Radio.

stooovie
Nov 8, 2013, 10:41 AM
Same here. Mostly when using the multitasking UI. On iPad 4. Not happening on my iPhone 5.

Actually, I have seen this TWICE in 5 minutes on a new iPad Air in an Apple Store.

bjcskier
Nov 8, 2013, 11:00 AM
These resprings are obnoxious.

Pagemakers
Nov 8, 2013, 05:40 PM
Happens on my 5s and my mates iPad air

Ferc Kast
Nov 8, 2013, 06:05 PM
iOS 7.0.3 has just started randomly crashing on my iPad mini the last couple days, even when it is not doing anything. (I have always closed apps from multitasking when I am done using them.) I have never had this happen on any prior iOS device or iOS version.

Fantasigraphic
Nov 8, 2013, 06:23 PM
Maybe Restore via iTunes and setup as NEW?!?!

Pagemakers
Nov 8, 2013, 06:29 PM
Like many of the IOS 7 bugs apple need to fix it.

Ferc Kast
Nov 8, 2013, 07:12 PM
Maybe Restore via iTunes and setup as NEW?!?!

I have. Twice. Still random reboots on my iPad mini.

Juanefny
Nov 8, 2013, 08:05 PM
So this keeps happening on my third iphone. I really hope it's fixed in the next update.

Mark Booth
Nov 14, 2013, 06:29 PM
I've been getting the random reboots/respring on my iPhone 5S ever since I installed 7.0.3. It happens on an almost daily basis. Most frequently, it happens right after I wake up the phone (push the power button or push the home button) and then hold my finger over Touch ID. Just as the iPhone recognizes my fingerprint and brings up the home screen, BAM, I get a black screen followed by the white Apple logo in the middle.

It's not a FULL reboot because I can then unlock the phone with just my fingerprint. If the phone was fully reboot, then the passcode must be entered to unlock it.

I'm about to install 7.0.4 to see if it fixes the problem.

I'll add…. Up to this point, the iPhone 5S with 7.0.3 has been one of the most unreliable electronic products I've ever owned. These reboots/resprings are incredibly annoying!

BTW, I don't have Panic.plist data in my diagnostic listing but the iPhone does have SpringBoard crashes listed for today. It's done the reboot/respring thing twice today.

Mark

Juanefny
Nov 14, 2013, 11:03 PM
Was this fixed with 7.0.4?

Max(IT)
Nov 15, 2013, 12:57 AM
it is software related. I have the problem on one iphone 4S, 2 ipad 2, one iphone 5 .... until now only my 5S does not reboot randomly. Note that one ipad reboots daily at midnight if used 00:00 .... if this does not sound like a firmware bug how do you call it ?:p

It could be software related, but since it doesn't affect all of us, the software involved may not be iOS 7 but something else installed on your iDevice ...

Errk!
Nov 16, 2013, 11:37 PM
Was this fixed with 7.0.4?

No. I've got an iPad Mini and iPad Air still rebooting after updating to 7.0.4.

We also have two iPhone 5 on iOS 7 but I do not believe those have rebooted since updating.

All 4 devices have background app updates turned on (since that was mentioned earlier in this thread). Has it been 100% verified that turning this off eliminates the problem?

LxHunter
Nov 17, 2013, 02:21 PM
5S. 7.0.4
Turned Reduce Motion to off
48 hours no respring/crash
Owned apple products for 10+ years.
First time I have told my friends not to buy

Mark Booth
Nov 25, 2013, 09:25 AM
FWIW, iOS 7.0.4 did NOT fix the repeated respringing problem on my iPhone 5S. Yesterday, upon waking my iPhone, using Touch ID, and then attempting to launch Music app, it respringed three times in a row! I thought I was never going to finally get to use the darn thing.

I have an appointment with the Genius Bar this morning.

Mark

Mark Booth
Nov 25, 2013, 09:40 AM
I just found this topic:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/23627648#23627648

Supposedly, turning OFF Reduce Motion fixes the respring issue on the iPhone 5S (using TouchID). I did have Reduce Motion turned ON when all of these resprings occurred. I've turned it off.

I also looked at my crash data (Settings/General/About/Diagnostics & Usage/Diagnostics & Usage Data). The Springboard respring crashes all included: Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV). According to the topic above, that's the Touch ID error.

My resprings always happen immediately after using Touch ID to unlock the phone and at the very instant I go to touch an app icon (but before it actually launches).

We'll see if turning Reduce Motion OFF fixes the problem. But I still plan to keep my appointment at the Genius Bar to run this all by them and make sure there's one more data point for complaint (to hopefully get this fixed in the next iOS update).

Mark

Errk!
Nov 25, 2013, 10:50 AM
My resprings always happen immediately after using Touch ID to unlock the phone and at the very instant I go to touch an app icon (but before it actually launches).

Good luck, but I don't think that's it. I'm experiencing the issue on a first gen iPad Mini and an iPad Air, which, of course, do not have Touch ID. And motion control has always been off on both. Also, I'm not getting crashes the instant I touch an app icon.

mcfly88
Nov 25, 2013, 10:55 AM
never had this issue until I updated to 7.0.4, has a handful of times since.

Errk!
Nov 25, 2013, 01:18 PM
never had this issue until I updated to 7.0.4, has a handful of times since.

It did for me on 7.0.3 at least, possibly earlier versions of 7 as well.

dictoresno
Nov 27, 2013, 03:13 PM
i just got a 5S the other day and its resprung 4-5 times since i got it. it happened usually when opening an app such as mail, messages or Facebook. i restored it from my iPhone 5 which was not effected by resprings so i don't think its software related. there are crash report logs, but no one ever seems to be able to decipher them for us here.

digitalfailure
Nov 27, 2013, 04:08 PM
Mine resprings when deleting mails, I personally think it's a software issue with the 64bit side of iOS. My iPad 3 hasn't resprung once in all the time it's been on ios7.

bsage
Dec 1, 2013, 10:18 AM
I am having the same issue with my Ipad 4... Purchased a refurb Ipad 4 32GB from the Apple on-line store on 10/22/13 and it would crash to the white Apple logo about once a week, then a bit more often. Took it to my local Apple Store on 11/26/13 and the Genius there swapped it out for a "new" (brown box) unit immediately. Now the "new" iPad 4 is crashing once a day to the white Apple logo. I will have several apps open and running several Safari tabs.... I get the timer wheel running but nothing is loading or "lost connection to server" message and then a sun shade pull down effect on the screen. Then the screen goes black and the white logo appears. Boots me to the start screen... When I swipe in the apps and Safari are still open. The diagnostic logs show a panic.plist event when this happens.

So is this a software issue or a hardware issue?

FYI, I purchased an IPad Air 32 GB for my wife while we were at the store and she has had multiple apps and Safari screens open and no problems so far... Also no issues with our existing iPhone 5 and 5s at this time. All of them are running iOS 7.0.4

jonnyb098
Dec 1, 2013, 10:37 AM
This IS NOT a hardware issue. It's purely an issue with iOS7. Those who aren't having the problems, that's great news. But there are way too many coincidences among the crashes being reported. Touch ID, reduce motion, safari.
It's odd that Apple is not properly informing their techs to quit replacing perfectly good iPhones and iPads. Really after a couple years all the sudden there are all these hardware issues on older devices???? Come on.

For many many people restoring , replacing etc. has all been a waste of time only for the issues to still be there. So some common sense tells us what the issue is here and it's not hardware for 99% of these issues.

Another I've noticed, multitasking on ipad while using dynamic wallpaper crashes the springboard after a short while. Just try it. I'm sure it will happen after a couple of launches of multitasking and scrolling.

Max(IT)
Dec 1, 2013, 11:52 AM
Mine resprings when deleting mails, I personally think it's a software issue with the 64bit side of iOS. My iPad 3 hasn't resprung once in all the time it's been on ios7.

It could be .... Since I had only ONE respring in both my iPad and iPhone 5 in more than 2 months ...

T5BRICK
Dec 1, 2013, 05:02 PM
My 5s has had a few resprings right after unlocking and using TouchID. It has had a few other resprings while using safari. And finally, yesterday I had a respring when I was trying to use the Nike+ Move app.

When I contacted Apple support, the tech claimed that the iphone was just doing a "Soft reboot" after updating apps. He suggested that I turn off automatic app updates. I did, but I am doubtful because my wife has a 5s and it hasn't had any unexpected resprings, neither has my old iPhone 4s or my iPad mini.

Antgb84
Dec 1, 2013, 11:24 PM
Super annoying. Occasional respring and crashing as well more so on my retina iPad mini. I'm on my 2nd iPad it's definitely software to blame.

AeroZ
Dec 2, 2013, 02:02 AM
Same here. Turned ON Reduce Motion. Let's see how that goes.

pacha2
Dec 2, 2013, 11:59 AM
Twice my iPads rebooted to the Apple icon on black background.
Was using Safari once and App Store the other time.

Running 7.04 on my iPad Air.

Have just enabled reduced motion to see if that helps.

3bs
Dec 2, 2013, 12:16 PM
Super annoying. Occasional respring and crashing as well more so on my retina iPad mini. I'm on my 2nd iPad it's definitely software to blame.

My replacement 5S hasn't had a single reboot. Could be a combination of both software and hardware.

Max(IT)
Dec 2, 2013, 04:12 PM
My replacement 5S hasn't had a single reboot. Could be a combination of both software and hardware.

I think this is the most logical explanation.

oldmanmax
Dec 2, 2013, 04:46 PM
My 5s has rebooted randomly in the last week, also all notes have disappeared. Dd a manual reboot and nothing came back on notes, plus when hooking up iPhone to my MBP, was saying can not connect. Did a manual reboot and was able to connect.

stooovie
Dec 2, 2013, 07:25 PM
I have tons of random reboots on both my iPhone 5 and iPad air, none of which have Touch ID. They're not related. Same story with Reduce motion. I have it ON on phone, off on ioD and both reboot.

jonnyb098
Dec 2, 2013, 07:29 PM

What can possibly be wrong thats hardware related thats causing re-spring and reboots for people on iPads and older iPhones???? Sorry I'm calling BS on that. Thats Apples excuse for all the iOS 7 bugs.

Not saying its not possible but thats not a widespread conclusion for most. Its mostly likely software related for just about everyone.

Errk!
Dec 2, 2013, 08:37 PM
What can possibly be wrong thats hardware related thats causing re-spring and reboots for people on iPads and older iPhones???? Sorry I'm calling BS on that. Thats Apples excuse for all the iOS 7 bugs.

Not saying its not possible but thats not a widespread conclusion for most. Its mostly likely software related for just about everyone.

Especially considering a) it's happening on multiple models and devices and b) it's happening on devices that never had the issue before iOS7.

3bs
Dec 3, 2013, 01:31 AM

I don't know what the problem is. I just know that my first 5S constantly rebooted but my 2nd and 3rd didn't reboot a single time.

jonnyb098
Dec 3, 2013, 07:47 PM
I don't know what the problem is. I just know that my first 5S constantly rebooted but my 2nd and 3rd didn't reboot a single time.

Maybe there was some corruption somewhere. Thats possible. But its up to Apple to make sure things clean up and install properly on all other devices so that people dont have these issues. So far its been a crap shoot.

My iPad 4 likes to re-spring every now and then especially when entering multitasking or sometimes using iTunes radio. Many of my other apps I use constantly have worked perfectly fine in iOS 7 including many games. Its definitely and iOS 7 issue one way or another. All my crash logs indicate its a "springboard" crash. Thats core system interface issues.

E2EK1EL
Dec 4, 2013, 06:52 AM
FWIW, iOS 7.0.4 did NOT fix the repeated respringing problem on my iPhone 5S. Yesterday, upon waking my iPhone, using Touch ID, and then attempting to launch Music app, it respringed three times in a row! I thought I was never going to finally get to use the darn thing.

I have an appointment with the Genius Bar this morning.

Mark

Can anyone reproduce the Touch ID resetting and crashing on video?

Zmanbaseball2
Dec 4, 2013, 11:57 AM
My iPad air restarts 3-5 times a weeks. Once as I watched it charge (I was cleaning my room; not physically staring), it restarted. Happens randomly when using sometimes.

dabigone
Dec 4, 2013, 12:56 PM
I was having constant random reboots and getting stuck in a loop w/ my 64gb 5s. Just got it replaced and restored with the same backup. Doing the same things and it hasn't even rebooted once yet.

Errk!
Dec 4, 2013, 01:38 PM
I was having constant random reboots and getting stuck in a loop w/ my 64gb 5s. Just got it replaced and restored with the same backup. Doing the same things and it hasn't even rebooted once yet.

How long have you had the new device?

dabigone
Dec 4, 2013, 03:55 PM
How long have you had the new device?

It's been 3 days so far...

jmpage2
Dec 4, 2013, 08:10 PM
I have this problem with two ipad airs and an iPhone 5. Definitely gotta be software.

Hustler1337
Dec 7, 2013, 03:43 PM
My 5S hasn't had a single reboot in the 3 weeks I've owned it until today. I started the camera app and a few seconds later it rebooted. I'm pretty sure its a software issue/bug rather than a hardware issue.

wilky76
Dec 8, 2013, 09:39 AM
I've had my 5S since launch, it's never done a respring once until last week, where trying to unlock it using touch ID it crashed, then crashed again the otherday just by unplugging it from charge. :(

Since then it been fine, but i'm guessing it something to do with the 7.0.4 update, or an app that not playing nice with my phone.

christich99
Dec 8, 2013, 04:41 PM
This has happened to me quite a few times recently. In one night of using the Music app (a period of an hour or two), I had at least 5 re-springs on my iPad (3rd generation). I don't know exactly what caused them, but I've also had one or two re-springs on my iPhone 4s in the month or three that I've had it.

snowmoon
Dec 10, 2013, 09:35 AM
iPad 3rd Gen is crashing in a similar manner. I will return to the springboard and then a few moments later I see the Apple logo as it reboots. From the crashreports EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV).

Has only happened under iOS7 and I have had reduce motion "on" since it was introduced on the iPad. Going to try a "dynamic" wallpaper rather than the images I had been using to see if that makes any difference in reducing the footprint of springboard.

jonnyb098
Dec 10, 2013, 09:53 AM
iPad 3rd Gen is crashing in a similar manner. I will return to the springboard and then a few moments later I see the Apple logo as it reboots. From the crashreports EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV).

Has only happened under iOS7 and I have had reduce motion "on" since it was introduced on the iPad. Going to try a "dynamic" wallpaper rather than the images I had been using to see if that makes any difference in reducing the footprint of springboard.

Dynamic wallpapers will only make things worse.

kingdom23
Dec 11, 2013, 03:36 AM
I have this problem with two ipad airs and an iPhone 5. Definitely gotta be software.

I thought my iphone 5 was cured of the problem with 7.0.4 update, but today it did it for first time since update, when an imessage came through and as I hit the reply button I was greeted with black screen with apple logo. Most the other resprings were when using multi tasking.

caubeck
Dec 11, 2013, 03:43 AM
Same here. The Air reboots fast but it's still annoying. I've reset my iCloud data as suggested by another poster.

Abazigal
Dec 11, 2013, 09:16 AM
My ipad3 and iphone5s reboot about once every 1-2 days. Generally occurs when using Safari, or multitasking to Safari. At least the device is quick to boot...:p

jonnyb098
Dec 11, 2013, 09:23 AM
Yep, my 5S just respringed to the apple logo when trying to enter multitasking from safari. Same thing happened twice with my iPad 4 yesterday. So damn annoying. Other times its fone for days or even a couple weeks but I have an average of 2 resprings a week.

Unfortunately one of them even happened during an interview while multitasking and showing my portfolio. (Awkward).

Not sure how anyone at apple thinks this is ok.

Say what you will about Scott Forstall but iOS 6 crashed twice in two years I had it on my 4S. Now its a daily or weekly thing with iOS 7.

The sadder thing is that we are in week 3 of 7.1 beta. By now there should have been some progress made to beta 2. This is one of the longest waits ever with a single beta. Odd.

testman57
Dec 11, 2013, 09:55 AM
Hello, it seems like I am having this exact same problem on my iPad 4th generation, but I would link it to application updates / installations, as it tends to happen to me much more when I have a bunch of updates to do (more so if a 700 MB update is in the queue) and the random reboots during sleep could be the same thing when the device is trying to update apps automatically...

I can tell that before the respring it seems to freeze for some time first...

NY Guitarist
Dec 12, 2013, 12:41 PM
I just experienced this issue a few times in the last week on an Iphone 4S.

It happened once while I was using the phone, although I don't rememeber which app I was using at the time.

And I noticed it a few times respring while it wasn't being used. I leave it powered up while I'm working and it sits in my field of view on my desk, so it's very noticeable when it happens.

Each time I fully powered off the phone and back on. I can't correlate the respring to any specific action or state the phone is in.

slffl
Dec 13, 2013, 10:02 AM
'Random' resprings on both my iPhone 5S and iPad Air. Both on 7.0.4. I'm sure the bug will get fixed sooner than later.

I7guy
Dec 13, 2013, 01:46 PM
I get app crashes but no reboots on 5s. I have the plugged in all day on LTE, either streaming video content or listening to iradio or siriusxm and/or using safari. Heavy email usage as well.

For me ios 7 on the 5s is solid.

NY Guitarist
Dec 13, 2013, 07:36 PM
It happened once while I was using the phone, although I don't rememeber which app I was using at the time.

Happened again today. I was watching a video in iTunesU at the time and swiped up for the control panel and ZING... RE-SPRING!

endurion
Dec 17, 2013, 01:37 PM
This whole thing should be called respring-gate. If they fired Forstall over Maps, somebody should definitely set something handed to them for this iOS7 respring issue.

Both my iPad Air and my iPhone 5s respring pretty much any day that I use them more than a little bit. Sometime after just unlocking the device and pulling up the main screen. Most often when switching between apps.

It has to be one of the most annoying, disappointing things I've ever experienced with an Apple device - and Apple, as always, is a wall of silence.

Just last night I was composing a post on Google+, and was switching back and forth to an article, copying and pasting some of the content for commentary, when the iPad had a respring because I was multitasking. Totally unacceptable. The whole post was lost, since it had not been sent.

Thanks Apple.

MetalLord
Dec 17, 2013, 05:16 PM
Happened a number of times on my 4s.
At first I thought it was the battery.
then it showed 77 percent on the charge after a random reboot.

really annnoying.

I was already unhappy enough with the redesign.

Henno89
Dec 18, 2013, 06:11 AM
My 5s started crashing now, too...

I have been using it for over a week until today and didn't experience any problems so far.
Until yesterday my 5s runned with my good old iphone 4 backup, which is over 3 years old -> absolutely no crashes/reboots.

BUT - yesterday i just wanted to try something out. So, I made a complete clean restore and set the phone up as new. I just wanted to see whether this would improve battery life...

Instead my 5s crashed/rebooted at least 4 times until this moment... The Preferences app crashed/hanged, a so called "locationd-something" crashed, 1-2 springboard crashes.

Even entering dfu mode and restoring the phone again + setting up as new didnt solve these problems.

I dont understand why my old iphone 4 backup worked a 100 times better.

liteshow
Dec 19, 2013, 11:18 AM
I ran iphone 4s with ios 7 last few months and it was quite stable- Rarely rebooted by itself.

Just got a new iphone 5s the last few days and I have had the partial reboot (not as long as a full reboot) about 6 times already. I upgraded from 7.03 -> 7.04 and still notice the reboot. Turned off background refresh but that did not solve the issue either.

My 5s started crashing now, too...

I have been using it for over a week until today and didn't experience any problems so far.
Until yesterday my 5s runned with my good old iphone 4 backup, which is over 3 years old -> absolutely no crashes/reboots.

BUT - yesterday i just wanted to try something out. So, I made a complete clean restore and set the phone up as new. I just wanted to see whether this would improve battery life...

Instead my 5s crashed/rebooted at least 4 times until this moment... The Preferences app crashed/hanged, a so called "locationd-something" crashed, 1-2 springboard crashes.

Even entering dfu mode and restoring the phone again + setting up as new didnt solve these problems.

I dont understand why my old iphone 4 backup worked a 100 times better.

Michel Goldberg
Dec 22, 2013, 04:38 PM
Same for me. iPhone 5
A few observations :
Never occurs when inactive
Never happened with iOs 6
Resets elapsed time informations (in preferences/general)
All the best all of you.

NickRichyRich
Dec 22, 2013, 08:32 PM
It started happening to me today too. 3 times. Spontaneous 'reboot' to a white apple logo on black screen. Wasn't related to any specific immediate action or app. Just using it normally, not doing anything special and it happens.

Don't know if it's hardware or software.

Grey 64gb 5s.

Sounds like Springboard is crashing I would go ahead and do a full DFU system restore and you should notice that things should be normal!

yarz
Dec 28, 2013, 05:17 AM
Since 2 weeks this problem also occurs with my iPhone 5S 64 GB on 7.0.4 (no jailbreak)

It does not look related to any specific app. My phone resprings to the black screen with apple logo 1-2 times a day. It is restored from a backup of my 4S, but the first month of use I have not seen a single respring.

Michel Goldberg
Dec 28, 2013, 07:46 AM
It seems to have stopped for me, since a little while (till when ?).
Difficult to reproduce…
Apple : can you correct it ?
Please.

Max(IT)
Dec 28, 2013, 08:48 AM
Since 2 weeks this problem also occurs with my iPhone 5S 64 GB on 7.0.4 (no jailbreak)

It does not look related to any specific app. My phone resprings to the black screen with apple logo 1-2 times a day. It is restored from a backup of my 4S, but the first month of use I have not seen a single respring.

Do you realize this is not a normal behavior at all ??? :confused:
Why re you keeping an iPhone that resprings two times a day ???
You clearly have a defective unit or a corrupted os (maybe from your previous backup).

Michel Goldberg
Dec 28, 2013, 03:38 PM
Once a week (or a less more), it happens randomly.
Hope it not bad for hardware ore data's

Log of a crash :

Hardware Model:* * * iPhone5,2
Process: * * * * * * SpringBoard [33]
Path:* * * * * * * * /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/SpringBoard
Identifier:* * * * * com.apple.springboard
Version: * * * * * * 50 (1.0)
Code Type: * * * * * ARM (Native)
Parent Process:* * * launchd [1]

Date/Time: * * * * * 2013-12-28 20:33:00.359 +0100
OS Version:* * * * * iOS 7.0.4 (11B554a)
Report Version:* * * 104

Exception Type:* EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Subtype: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0xd000000c
Triggered by Thread:* 14

Regards.

ruddyman
Dec 30, 2013, 07:49 PM
Add me to the list; lots of resprings even after a restore on the ipad air. No resprings on my iphone 5 on latest os.

hankdu
Jan 1, 2014, 12:06 PM
Add me to the list of people having random resprings.

It is a 5s (16gb) and I have now restored it 3 times; each time it was set up as a new device. In another word, the respring issue is not related to backups in my case.

Initially I thought the 5s crashed because I had jailbroken'd my phone. As I wanted a perfect phone, I decided to forgo the jailbreak and restored the phone to factory setting and had it set up as a new device. This was my third restore and no JB had been installed.

After having not a single crash after a day or two, it crashed again for the first time minutes ago.

In all instances, respring occurred when I am switching app, pulling down the notification centre or when using iMessage. Strangely, my jailbroken'd iPad 3 on 7.0.4 had not crashed a single time, nor has my girlfriends iPhone 5 on iOS 7.0.4.

I have 10 months warranty left... I hope this respring issue gets resolved.

I have turned 'reduced motion' off as suggested in another's thread. Will see if this helps.

iOSBry
Jan 1, 2014, 01:00 PM
Folks, these are all most likely due to issues with iOS 7.0.x and not your hardware. Apple has resolved a large majority of them with iOS 7.1 beta 2 - I've been running it on my iPhone 4S, 5S and iPad 2 since its release and I've not had one respring in three weeks! I've also only had one crash and that's with Settings-> Notification Center which I can reproduce so I'm hoping Apple has fixed it in beta 3.

iOSBry

Futhark
Jan 2, 2014, 08:14 AM
Folks, these are all most likely due to issues with iOS 7.0.x and not your hardware. Apple has resolved a large majority of them with iOS 7.1 beta 2 - I've been running it on my iPhone 4S, 5S and iPad 2 since its release and I've not had one respring in three weeks! I've also only had one crash and that's with Settings-> Notification Center which I can reproduce so I'm hoping Apple has fixed it in beta 3.

iOSBry

Using iOS 7.1 Beta 2 and getting respring every few days on my iPhone 5S 64GB

iOSBry
Jan 2, 2014, 08:25 AM
Using iOS 7.1 Beta 2 and getting respring every few days on my iPhone 5S 64GB Sorry to hear. In my case, I perform a full restore of each device and setup as new for each point or full release build. Perhaps that's what allowed me to avoid all but one crash?

IOSBry

Futhark
Jan 2, 2014, 08:27 AM
Sorry to hear. In my case, I perform a full restore of each device and setup as new for each point or full release build. Perhaps that's what allowed me to avoid all but one crash?

IOSBry

That is quite possible :-)

kristoffer4
Jan 18, 2014, 03:47 PM
I experience resprings on my brand new ipad mini retina a couple times a week. I really hope this is fixed in 7.1 !

Max(IT)
Jan 18, 2014, 03:55 PM
I don't understand how it is possible that I yet have to see a SINGLE respring on both my iPad Air and iPhone 5s since purchase :confused:
Quite a few Safari crashes, mainly on the Air, but not a single respring, and I'm using both a lot of hours per day ....

Are my iDevices different from yours ? :confused:

Septembersrain
Jan 18, 2014, 03:59 PM
I've got a 5c and not a single respring unless I invoked it (I'm jailbroken).

Megalobyte
Jan 18, 2014, 04:44 PM
It's pretty obvious that much has to do with low memory. Either ios7 needs more RAM or, ios7 needs to tweak its memory allocation processes.

My 5s crashes in safari daily, and I'm not alone. It just runs out of memory. I can see it struggling with web pages, refreshing a page virtually every time I go back, my 5 didn't do this on ios6. Both phones have 1gb ram.

They'll figure it out in time, I hope.

In the past they always got away with less RAM than typical, and did just fine with it, I hope this time, with ios7, they really DIDN'T need a spec bump.

Cocorana
Jan 22, 2014, 11:44 AM
I have a friend who is an Apple genius. I asked him to take a look at my phone, and he told me what the issue is. The issue is with springboard and that's an issue that is common with people who upgrade from an iPhone 4 to a 5s.

I have an iPad retina display first-generation an iPhone 5s which I just upgraded from an iPhone 4 and I have this issue with both my iPhone my iPad and also my wife's iPhone and my wife's iPad are affected (My wife has an iPad mini).
Springboard is part of the operation system and what causes this is a corruption in springboard. From what he told me it cannot be solved just by synching or even doing a clean reinstall.
Yes it's a software issue but if there is a corrupt file in one of your apps then you are transferring that corrupt file every time you synch. That is why this problem apparently is very difficult to solve. He says that he has seen other Apple geniuses just give people new phones because they can't deal with the issue at that moment and the people come back again in two weeks with the same problem.
Basically the solution is the following:

You need to do at clean reinstall of the software as if it was a new phone, but do not do this from the software that you have in your computer. You need to re-download the OS. You also need to reinstall every app in your phone but do not do it through a synch. You need to download every app manually. If you synch your old apps, the problem will not go away. He also said not to download the apps directly through the phone, since sometimes when you do it that way files can become corrupt in the process.

He told me it's a pain in the ass but it's the only way to deal with it, and obviously most people don't want to go through that.

He also told me that it's probably not going to be something Apple fixes with an upgrade anytime soon. He said the issue is not that widespread or that common so Apple has not dealt with it through an upgrade.

I myself have not tried this. It seems like something that would require a great deal of time and I have not had time to do it. If somebody else has tried it please post the results.

I hope this helps.

simon48
Jan 22, 2014, 11:59 AM
I have a friend who is an Apple genius. I asked him to take a look at my phone, and he told me what the issue is. The issue is with springboard and that's an issue that is common with people who upgrade from an iPhone 4 to a 5s.

I have an iPad retina display first-generation an iPhone 5s which I just upgraded from an iPhone 4 and I have this issue with both my iPhone my iPad and also my wife's iPhone and my wife's iPad are affected (My wife has an iPad mini).
Springboard is part of the operation system and what causes this is a corruption in springboard. From what he told me it cannot be solved just by synching or even doing a clean reinstall.
Yes it's a software issue but if there is a corrupt file in one of your apps then you are transferring that corrupt file every time you synch. That is why this problem apparently is very difficult to solve. He says that he has seen other Apple geniuses just give people new phones because they can't deal with the issue at that moment and the people come back again in two weeks with the same problem.

You need to do at clean reinstall of the software as if it was a new phone, but do not do this from the software that you have in your computer. You need to re-download the OS. You also need to reinstall every app in your phone but do not do it through a synch. You need to download every app manually. If you synch your old apps, the problem will not go away. He also said not to download the apps directly through the phone, since sometimes when you do it that way files can become corrupt in the process.

He told me it's a pain in the ass but it's the only way to deal with it, and obviously most people don't want to go through that.

He also told me that it's probably not going to be something Apple fixes with an upgrade anytime soon. He said the issue is not that widespread or that common so Apple has not dealt with it through an upgrade.

I myself have not tried this. It seems like something that would require a great deal of time and I have not had time to do it. If somebody else has tried it please post the results.

I hope this helps.

That's not too hard, it's just doing a full clean install.

jonnyb098
Jan 22, 2014, 03:36 PM
This issue seems very common when using music and/or multitasking. I've never had it happen on any other app on my iPad Air or 5S. It's very consistently those two things. I encourage people to take note of what they were doing right before it crashes.

I can confirm that the music app is much more stable in the 7.1 betas. As are many other areas on 64 bit devices.

To those saying just reinstall from scratch is a huge cop out on apples part. If you like to play any games or have certain settings in apps then you will of lose all that data if the game doesn't support icloud syncing.

On a separate note there is noticeable lag on new iPads when the keyboard is up. 7.1 now has the translucency turned on for the keyboard. That's what's causing the lag. In fact if you want everything lag free and buttery smooth operation just turnon INCREASE CONTRAST in accessibility.

This is further proof that even in 7.1 Apple still can't get the same buttery smooth animations on everything due to the new blurring/transparency. Surprised that they had the guts to do this. I know most things are smooth but if you really want the same smooth as butter animations on EVERYTHING system wide just change the settings.

As a professional designer I know doing any sort of high resolution blurring is very very intense on the system. Here's hoping they figure it out in iOS 8 but it'll be a few more months.

jbachandouris
Jan 22, 2014, 07:02 PM
I brought my 5s to Apple for random reboots. (Two at the time) Genius Bar wiped the phone and said if it happens again they'll replace it.

After they wiped it, I set it up as new and loaded apps one by one. It blue screened and rebooted several times.

Today, I took it out of my pocket to use and had to enter my pass code as it had rebooted in my pocket. No programs were running when it rebooted.

Doubt I can go to Apple until Satirday. If they replace it, will that fix it?

C DM
Jan 22, 2014, 07:04 PM
I brought my 5s to Apple for random reboots. (Two at the time) Genius Bar wiped the phone and said if it happens again they'll replace it.

After they wiped it, I set it up as new and loaded apps one by one. It blue screened and rebooted several times.

Today, I took it out of my pocket to use and had to enter my pass code as it had rebooted in my pocket. No programs were running when it rebooted.

Doubt I can go to Apple until Satirday. If they replace it, will that fix it?No one really knows. One thing that is likely is that at least some part of this is related to iOS 7 in general, so, at least partially, if not more, it would need to be addressed on the software side (as it seems to be happening in 7.1, at least to some extent).

khha4113
Jan 22, 2014, 08:12 PM

I hope this helps.

Apple confirmed there is a bug with IOS 7 that causes random reboot and promised to fix this issue.
http://mashable.com/2014/01/22/iphone-screen-of-death/

"We have a fix in an upcoming software update for a bug that can occasionally cause a home screen crash," Apple spokesperson Trudy Muller told Mashable.

Normalo
Jan 29, 2014, 02:32 PM
Please try, what was working for me: random reboot meant at my i5 devices a restart of the GUI (springboard) : respring. It happened repeatable within scrolling fast in an app.
Did try the slow movement setting, but did not help.
Switched from dynamic background to static.
After scrolling like hell in the same app: no respring anymore.
Switched back to the dynamic background: no respring anymore.
(Did make both static and back to dynamic: lock- and homescreen)
Perhaps it's working for you, too..

mlfarrell
Jan 31, 2014, 01:02 AM
You guys are wasting your time going to apple store. It's the software (OS) not the devices. Apple rushed to get ios 7 out the door and it crashes far more frequently on the new 64 bit a7 hardware. I'm a software/app developer and there's no hardware defect aside from bad logic board/bad ram that can cause random crashes to happen this frequently, and those are RARE problems. Just wait for apple to get on the ball and fix all the bugs they created by being too ambitious with 7's release.

jbachandouris
Jan 31, 2014, 05:09 AM
I had my 5s replaced last Saturday. No reboots since. The issue may be both hardware and software related. So, no, going to the Apple store is NOT a waste if time.

Wando64
Jan 31, 2014, 06:28 AM
Switch the device off, than on again.

If my experience is anything to go by, dong this will fix the instability for a few weeks (at least). (I have an Air)
Initially I was making the mistake of thinking that a reboot (power and home button pressed) was sufficient, but that never made any difference.

jbachandouris
Jan 31, 2014, 06:38 AM
Switch the device off, than on again.

If my experience is anything to go by, dong this will fix the instability for a few weeks (at least). (I have an Air)
Initially I was making the mistake of thinking that a reboot (power and home button pressed) was sufficient, but that never made any difference.

Nope. Sorry. I turn mine off every night and it made no difference.

stooovie
Jan 31, 2014, 07:26 AM
It's rather simple - it occurs the most on 64bit devices like iPad Air and iPhone 5S. The 64bit-compiled code is just a bit buggy at this point. No amount of clean reinstalls will help.

Max(IT)
Jan 31, 2014, 09:28 AM
It's rather simple - it occurs the most on 64bit devices like iPad Air and iPhone 5S. The 64bit-compiled code is just a bit buggy at this point. No amount of clean reinstalls will help.

I still have to see a single reboot or respring on both my iPad air and iPhone 5S ....
The only real problem with iOS 7 so far is memory management, very poor in releasing ram after usage, and Safari.

youknome
Jan 31, 2014, 06:45 PM
Definitely not a hardware problem. Every since I updated iOS 7 to the latest iteration I've been getting random reboots.

So annoying, I'd try to open an app and it will switch off and turn back on.

On my 4S by the way.

jbachandouris
Jan 31, 2014, 06:49 PM
Definitely not a hardware problem. Every since I updated iOS 7 to the latest iteration I've been getting random reboots.

So annoying, I'd try to open an app and it will switch off and turn back on.

On my 4S by the way.

Really? Since my replacement I've had NO crashes or reboots on my 5s.

Max(IT)
Feb 1, 2014, 06:53 AM
Really? Since my replacement I've had NO crashes or reboots on my 5s.

Maybe it's related to the way you restored your backup on replacement unit.

Errk!
Feb 1, 2014, 11:26 AM
Maybe it's related to the way you restored your backup on replacement unit.

Or apps that weren't reinstalled that had memory leaks or whatever it is causing the resprings.

myusernamename
Feb 3, 2014, 09:11 AM
That's not too hard, it's just doing a full clean install.

How do I do a full clean install?

Max(IT)
Feb 3, 2014, 09:16 AM
How do I do a full clean install?

Restore it as new and download all the apps again (don't sync the app already downloaded on your computer: if one is broken, you are going to have it broken on your device).

jul14nfsc
Feb 8, 2014, 01:38 PM
Hello everybody, I hope this can be of any help: This respring issue has happened on mi iPad3 for about a month now. It started while using a specific App I use [rather frequently] for reading and annotating, therefore I strongly believe it is related to memory usage (perhaps GPU?) since I often load a full library of hefty .pdfs such as books on that app. It has not happened while using Safari, Netflix, Youtube or any other video app, unlike many of you, not even while swiping and despite dozens of tabs in Safari. I'm using iOS 7.0.4 and this started happening this year. Since I've had the iPad for more than two years now, I'd say it has to with iOS 7; I ran a previous version of that same app on iOS6 last year and it ran smoothly, never crashed. When I adressed the app's CS dept they referred me to this thread and said themselves it had to do with iOS. The # of times it resprings depends usually on how long I use the app or the processes that occur within the app, but on a busy day it can easily happen +5 times. Here r some frags of the reports:

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Subtype: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x00000008
Triggered by Thread: 12

Thread 12 Crashed:
0 CoreGraphics 0x308bf3b0 0x30819000 + 680880
1 CoreGraphics 0x308ae306 0x30819000 + 611078
2 CoreGraphics 0x3090aac2 0x30819000 + 989890
3 CoreGraphics 0x308e9bbc 0x30819000 + 854972 (and goes on...)

here's another crash report triggered by the same app:

Exception Type: EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)
Exception Code: 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000
Triggered by Thread: 12

Thread 12 Crashed:
0 libsystem_kernel.dylib 0x3b5dfc7c 0x3b5cc000 + 81020
1 libsystem_pthread.dylib 0x3b645dc6 0x3b645000 + 3526
2 libsystem_pthread.dylib 0x3b645c80 0x3b645000 + 3200

Thread 12 crashed with ARM Thread State (32-bit):
r0: 0x00000004 r1: 0x00000000 r2: 0x00000000 r3: 0x00000000
r4: 0x03f66000 r5: 0x00070001 r6: 0x00003187 r7: 0x03f65fe0
r8: 0x00000001 r9: 0x166c07a0 r10: 0x00000000 r11: 0x00000000
ip: 0x00000170 sp: 0x03f65fc8 lr: 0x3b645dcb pc: 0x3b5dfc7c
cpsr: 0x40000010

Curiously enough, the other [in my opinion] memory intensive app I've used recently is Microsoft Lync, on which I held a 2h conference call (A/V). Report:

Exception Type: EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000102, 0x000000009cd08582
Triggered by Thread: 0

Thread 0 Crashed:
0 Lync 0x009756ca 0x4000 + 9901770
1 libsystem_platform.dylib 0x3b643058 0x3b63f000 + 16472
2 ??? 0x0000039a 0 + 922
3 CoreGraphics 0x30826094 0x30819000 + 53396
4 libRIP.A.dylib 0x30b72bc6 0x30b6a000 + 35782
5 libRIP.A.dylib 0x30b7d1e8 0x30b6a000 + 78312
6 libRIP.A.dylib 0x30b70934 0x30b6a000 + 26932
7 libRIP.A.dylib 0x30b6f24a 0x30b6a000 + 21066
8 CoreGraphics 0x30823750 0x30819000 + 42832
9 CoreGraphics 0x308235e4 0x30819000 + 42468
10 UIKit 0x32fc4b54

Funny thing is although the app crashed, it wouldn't respring, so in my case [so far] I only get the apple logo, blackscreen quick reboot etc. only with that specific app (GoodNotes: great app, not sure they're to blame and must say they've been dilligent and helpful). I also own an iPhone 4S (2yrs +-) iOS 7.0.4, with the same app installed [but never really used it ~ seriously]. It has NOT resprung on a regular basis, nor can I say occasional [rare] reboots are related to any specific app; in fact I can't remember the last time it rebooted, so right now I'd say it's focused on the iPad.

I have not yet tried any of the solutions listed above, except for turning off background updates (which I just did), even though GoodNotes isn't even on that list, and must say I am not really expecting this to solve the matter. [I'll let u know if I must take back these words and swallow them]

Bottom line: I expect Apple addresses this issue soon enough and shed a bit more light regarding the alleged graphics-memory link, because right now I refuse 2 undergo such a pain in the ass process as full, clean reinstalling EVERYTHING.

Cheers, have a nice day.

myusernamename
Feb 10, 2014, 01:13 PM
My ip 5 still respring on 7.1 beta 5...