PDA

View Full Version : So who is copying who?

MrGimper
Sep 23, 2013, 05:20 AM
Just for the people saying ios7 looks like android...

http://gizmodo.com/alleged-android-4-4-kitkat-images-suggest-a-flattened-1369918484

Shrink
Sep 23, 2013, 05:28 AM

http://gizmodo.com/alleged-android-4-4-kitkat-images-suggest-a-flattened-1369918484

I'm still trying to figure out why it matters.:confused:

If the device that you have meets your needs with it's various features...I can't imagine why anyone should care who "invented" it.

adder7712
Sep 23, 2013, 05:31 AM
Everyone is going flat nowadays. I honestly think it started with Windows Phone 7.

maflynn
Sep 23, 2013, 05:34 AM
Who cares, both android and iOS have taken features from the other platform and implemented them.

I've said this before, both Android and iOS have strengths and weaknesses. Pick the phone and platform that best fits your needs. Its not like you're making a life altering decision - its just a phone.

Tamagotchi
Sep 23, 2013, 05:35 AM
At least the design of the icons doesn't look as horrible as that of iOS 7.

Edit: oh, and if you don't like them, you can always download a theme from the Play store :)

watchthisspace
Sep 23, 2013, 05:35 AM
Everyone is going flat nowadays. I honestly think it started with Windows Phone 7.

Or if we go back further, the Zune.

In all honestly, it's just the changing trend. People are losing too much sleep from these things :P

kevinof
Sep 23, 2013, 05:36 AM
Well I think as others have said everyone is going flat these days. Android was never heavy on the 3D visual stuff anyways - never as much as Ios was, so it's not a big a leap to go the flat route.

As someone else said windows phone was probably the first to make the jump.

SandboxGeneral
Sep 23, 2013, 05:40 AM

Does it matter? I don't care if Apple takes things from Android, and I don't care if Android takes things from Apple. Just so long as what I choose to use works well for me.

viskon
Sep 23, 2013, 05:48 AM
I hope Google takes whatever iOS has implemented that's not in Android. I really don't care if they flat out copy it.

rillrill
Sep 23, 2013, 06:00 AM

those are just from an icon pack you can install to give your phone a flatter look. one of the many reasons android is the better os.

stevensr123
Sep 23, 2013, 06:16 AM
Huh? Have you seems how googles apps have been changing for the last year? They have been going for a nice card/flat us for over a year now. Infact google now was maybe the start of it? It's arguably apple that has copied from google/Microsoft/web os etc just looks at the way multitasking works etc how they merged the single search icon in safari. How a lot of the apps have sliding sides as a back option etc. all were brought to many of googles apps for a while now

thisMRguy
Sep 23, 2013, 07:33 AM
Huh? Have you seems how googles apps have been changing for the last year? They have been going for a nice card/flat us for over a year now. Infact google now was maybe the start of it? It's arguably apple that has copied from google/Microsoft/web os etc just looks at the way multitasking works etc how they merged the single search icon in safari. How a lot of the apps have sliding sides as a back option etc. all were brought to many of googles apps for a while now

This. Thank you.
Its blatantly obvious.

matttye
Sep 23, 2013, 07:54 AM
Everyone copies everyone.

Would people honestly want to have to pick between phones which have some cool features but not others, or would you rather have one that has it all?

I'm in the latter category.

rabidz7
Sep 23, 2013, 04:41 PM
After using a "downloaded" :cool: ios7 beta for months, and then switching to an HTC One, I can say that many parts look like they have been copied from Cyanogen Mod.

Michael Goff
Sep 23, 2013, 04:55 PM
Who is copying who?

Everybody is copying everybody.

JediZenMaster
Sep 23, 2013, 05:00 PM
There seems to be a blatant double standard going on here. When its apple that may have copied android then that's totally fine and it shouldn't matter but if its ever the other way around then there are at least a million threads made about it etc.

Lava Lamp Freak
Sep 23, 2013, 05:21 PM
those are just from an icon pack you can install to give your phone a flatter look. one of the many reasons android is the better os.

The thing is, these icons aren't from a pack. If these images are fakes, then they were done in Photoshop. No one has been able to locate these icons in any existing packs. That is the main reason I still believe these could be real leaks. These are unique icons that have never been seen before, and they look very professional. Google just released their new flat logo, which leads me to believe these could be legit.

musicjunky
Sep 23, 2013, 06:17 PM
You have a good idea that gains traction and everybody else plays catch up. The next thing seems to be the index finger button as seen on the LG G2.

Irishman
Sep 23, 2013, 06:27 PM

Everyone is copying everyone.

Next?

JohnLT13
Sep 23, 2013, 06:33 PM
There seems to be a blatant double standard going on here. When its apple that may have copied android then that's totally fine and it shouldn't matter but if its ever the other way around then there are at least a million threads made about it etc.

Yea they copied someone else's design. So what.:rolleyes:
Somebody is always first to do something, if that something sells well someone else is gonna do it to.

linkgx1
Sep 23, 2013, 06:55 PM
http://boston.com/community/blogs/rock_the_schoolhouse/zune01.jpg

Android and Apple. Pls go.:mad:

MattInOz
Sep 23, 2013, 09:34 PM
I say go a little deeper in to the design of both.

Look at the people involved their influences, their careers and movements between companies. The it's not overly surprising that there are similar features or design themes between them.

The real interesting stuff is how they differ.

Technarchy
Sep 23, 2013, 09:42 PM
"Flat" is not new. It's just the current design trend that is gaining traction for a couple of good reasons.

And it's key to a cleaner looking interface, which is always appreciated.

Google's iOS apps are especially clean looking and flat. I'm a fan.

Savor
Sep 23, 2013, 10:01 PM
Googleplex and Apple's homebase are close to each other in promixity and hire the same talent from each other.

One of Apple's engineers that brought the notification to iOS5 was an ex-Google engineer. Jon Rubinstein who helped develop Palm's webOS was an ex-Apple engineer. Matias Duarte who helped developed webOS already works for Android.

They hire the same talent and bring the same ideas to different companies. That is why you see an overlap.

matttye
Sep 24, 2013, 01:31 PM

Have you considered the possibility that the people who are saying it's fine now, are NOT the ones who say it's not fine when it's the other way around?

It seems like you're making the mistake of thinking of Apple/Android fans as single entities, when in reality different fans will have different opinions.

Lava Lamp Freak
Sep 24, 2013, 02:15 PM
Have you considered the possibility that the people who are saying it's fine now, are NOT the ones who say it's not fine when it's the other way around?

It seems like you're making the mistake of thinking of Apple/Android fans as single entities, when in reality different fans will have different opinions.

Yep. And some of us are just technology lovers and don't care who did something first.

Todd B.
Sep 24, 2013, 06:19 PM
I'm still trying to figure out why it matters.:confused:

If the device that you have meets your needs with it's various features...I can't imagine why anyone should care who "invented" it.

I love this line of thinking. :rolleyes:

When Apple comes out with a similar feature, Android cultists never shut up about it on Google+ but when Google comes out with a feature similar to Apple, they're all like "oh, does it really matter? Who cares".

gotluck
Sep 24, 2013, 06:36 PM

When Apple comes out with a similar feature, Android cultists never shut up about it on Google+ but when Google comes out with a feature similar to Apple, they're all like "oh, does it really matter? Who cares".

I love when this happens vice versa too

F123D
Sep 24, 2013, 07:48 PM
In this specific example, it's apple who's copying everyone else.

Stuntman06
Sep 24, 2013, 09:12 PM
I'm indifferent about the look of 4.4. The Hangouts and Chrome icons look the same as on my existing phone.

Dontazemebro
Sep 24, 2013, 09:23 PM
Those leaks are false anyway.

Nothing to see here people, move along.

onthecouchagain
Sep 24, 2013, 09:55 PM
The issue isn't so much about copying itself (at least not anymore). The issue is the double-standard.

It's true the double-standard has begun to happen on both sides, but it's largely and far more fervently practiced by one particular side. Not to mention, it really started with Apple in the first place. Wasn't Steve Jobs famous for saying everything about Android is stolen? It's the Apple-side that started the crazy litigations, too, or at least brought it to the forefront of both tech and general news. And then the fans follow suit.

Really, only recently (past year or so) has fans of Samsung and other competitors begun to accuse Apple of copying. And they'd be right.

I know what I'm saying amounts to basically a "he started it first" argument. But that's precisely what I mean to say.

Having said that, it'd be nice if everyone just gave up the whole copying thing. I've always said before, if anything, I wish they'd copy each other more! I'd love to see LG's knock to wake/sleep feature in other handsets. I'd love to see Apple take more inspiration from Android's flexibility, notifications, etc. And so forth.

Fanaticalism
Sep 24, 2013, 10:08 PM

Have you not looked at Gmail, Chrome, Google... Flat is not new for them.

soulreaver99
Sep 24, 2013, 11:21 PM
at this point who really cares? :rolleyes:

if you like what you are using then enjoying it. doesn't matter what people think.

theluggage
Sep 25, 2013, 06:43 AM

What was annoying was not so much whether or not it was "fine" for Android to copy Apple, but the people trying to insist that no such, shall we say, "inspiration" had taken place.

There certainly seem to be Google/Android influences in the new visual design - but there are also clear influences from the sparse design of Apple's packaging and advertising. It's also clearly a kickback against the whole green baize, woodgrain and faux leather fiasco.

The main bit of Android 'inspiration' is not the design so much as the functionality of the 'control center' which is pretty clearly inspired by the pull-down control panel on Android (or is it just Samsung?)

Irishman
Sep 25, 2013, 06:52 AM
The issue isn't so much about copying itself (at least not anymore). The issue is the double-standard.

It's true the double-standard has begun to happen on both sides, but it's largely and far more fervently practiced by one particular side. Not to mention, it really started with Apple in the first place. Wasn't Steve Jobs famous for saying everything about Android is stolen? It's the Apple-side that started the crazy litigations, too, or at least brought it to the forefront of both tech and general news. And then the fans follow suit.

Really, only recently (past year or so) has fans of Samsung and other competitors begun to accuse Apple of copying. And they'd be right.

I know what I'm saying amounts to basically a "he started it first" argument. But that's precisely what I mean to say.

Having said that, it'd be nice if everyone just gave up the whole copying thing. I've always said before, if anything, I wish they'd copy each other more! I'd love to see LG's knock to wake/sleep feature in other handsets. I'd love to see Apple take more inspiration from Android's flexibility, notifications, etc. And so forth.

So, apparently, Steve Jobs holds a grudge for a really, REALLY long time! Going back to when he gave Microsoft the benefit of the doubt with regard to early versions of Windows, and Gates stabbed him in the back on that. Jobs learned that lesson SO well (protect your IP at all costs), that he went thermonuclear on Samsung and Google to protect every trivial trademark or copyright with regard to iPhone and iOS.

Tinmania
Sep 25, 2013, 09:05 AM
Those leaks are false anyway.

Nothing to see here people, move along.
I can see this little fact had no effect on the hate-fest. Who cares if they were fake.... hate on!

Michael

Prototypical
Sep 25, 2013, 09:37 AM
It's true the double-standard has begun to happen on both sides, but it's largely and far more fervently practiced by one particular side.

You whine about double standards and the perpetuation of this argument... and then you say nonsense like the above. Stop acting like one side is guiltier than the other and MAYBE this foolishness will stop some day. I'm sure one side started it, but that's irrelevant now. It has become a tit-for-tat battle that is ruining the enjoyment of being into mobile tech. You act like you're not contributing, but anyone who reads this forum with any regularity knows how evangelically pro-Android (and anti-iOS) you are.

Not to mention, it really started with Apple in the first place. Wasn't Steve Jobs famous for saying everything about Android is stolen? It's the Apple-side that started the crazy litigations, too, or at least brought it to the forefront of both tech and general news. And then the fans follow suit.

...And nobody cared about that quote until Android came into its own, by doing exactly what Steve was talking about. Thank you for proving my point, though. Android people hold that quote over Apple's head like a scarlet letter, and the war will rage on until they learn to let it go. Steve could be a real jerk. Steve sometimes said inflammatory things. Steve is gone. Get over it.

dojoman
Sep 25, 2013, 10:24 AM

Being able to make icon packs does not make the OS better.

MRSucks
Sep 25, 2013, 11:18 AM
Got gold?

onthecouchagain
Sep 25, 2013, 01:33 PM
You whine about double standards and the perpetuation of this argument... and then you say nonsense like the above. Stop acting like one side is guiltier than the other and MAYBE this foolishness will stop some day. I'm sure one side started it, but that's irrelevant now. It has become a tit-for-tat battle that is ruining the enjoyment of being into mobile tech. You act like you're not contributing, but anyone who reads this forum with any regularity knows how evangelically pro-Android (and anti-iOS) you are.

...And nobody cared about that quote until Android came into its own, by doing exactly what Steve was talking about. Thank you for proving my point, though. Android people hold that quote over Apple's head like a scarlet letter, and the war will rage on until they learn to let it go. Steve could be a real jerk. Steve sometimes said inflammatory things. Steve is gone. Get over it.

I don't know how anyone can pretend it's not horribly uneven. I'm not the one creating threads about it. I'm merely responding and appropriately by pointing out the double standard.

Regarding your second point, no one is holding what Jobs said over people's head more than the certain Apple fans that really believe it and continue to reiterate it. I'm merely bringing it up to say that it all started with Apple. This whole "copying" thing was really brought to the forefront cause of Apple. There's no shoo-ing this away.

samcraig
Sep 25, 2013, 01:57 PM

The problem is - your line of thinking isn't the same as the spirit of the OP.

The point is - who cares. Not who does what and says what or thinks what. Use the OS and Phone that is best for you. End of story.

rillrill
Sep 25, 2013, 02:39 PM
Being able to make icon packs does not make the OS better.

http://cdn.ndtv.com/tech/images/gadgets/ios-7-mockup-635.jpg

nuff said.

Irishman
Sep 28, 2013, 04:28 PM
I don't know how anyone can pretend it's not horribly uneven. I'm not the one creating threads about it. I'm merely responding and appropriately by pointing out the double standard.

Regarding your second point, no one is holding what Jobs said over people's head more than the certain Apple fans that really believe it and continue to reiterate it. I'm merely bringing it up to say that it all started with Apple. This whole "copying" thing was really brought to the forefront cause of Apple. There's no shoo-ing this away.

It's horribly uneven....on a Mac forum site.

In the rest of the world? Not so much.

In the rest of the internet, even? Nah.

Picking THAT, of all things, to peeve about? Just make sure you never go to an XBox, PS3, Android, Crackberry, etc, fan/forum site. Your brain will explode from the hypocrisy and lack of objectivity.

onthecouchagain
Sep 28, 2013, 06:05 PM
It's horribly uneven....on a Mac forum site.

In the rest of the world? Not so much.

In the rest of the internet, even? Nah.

Picking THAT, of all things, to peeve about? Just make sure you never go to an XBox, PS3, Android, Crackberry, etc, fan/forum site. Your brain will explode from the hypocrisy and lack of objectivity.

It's definitely beginning to change. I notice people are less and less enamored by Apple.

Irishman
Sep 28, 2013, 08:20 PM
It's definitely beginning to change. I notice people are less and less enamored by Apple.

Why is that important to you? To make sure that people are less enamored by Apple?

onthecouchagain
Sep 28, 2013, 08:23 PM
Why is that important to you? To make sure that people are less enamored by Apple?

Who said it was?

Irishman
Sep 29, 2013, 08:23 AM
Who said it was?

When people's irrational love for Apple is something you peeve over (but no other tech company), there's more there than just correcting irrational behavior.

ReanimationN
Sep 29, 2013, 08:44 AM

Uneven on an Apple-based site? No way!

It's bizarre how obsessed you are over the 'double standards' here. It's a site dedicated to Apple products, people here are going to like and prefer Apple products, surprise!

It'd be like showing up at a PS3 forum and spending all your time in the 'Other consoles' section getting all stroppy over people there preferring Sony's products and not being enamoured by all the 'innovative, amazing' things Microsoft and Nintendo products have, or do.

Irishman
Oct 29, 2013, 08:20 AM
Who said it was?

I was hoping you'd had some time to think about your reply to my question.

The answer intrigues me.