PDA

View Full Version : App Background Refresh does the opposite for me (help)

madeirabhoy
Sep 23, 2013, 05:39 AM
im really confused by this. it seems like apple has advertised a feature that was always there, and removed it at the same time.

According to the advertising, ios 7 has a new feature App Background Refresh, where apps can update themselves and get new content when not at the forefront.

this isnt new. my daily newspaper and monthly magazines used to download happily in the background under ios 6.

now that they've promised this as a feature, it no longer does it.

i go into settings and the tickbox is ticked for it, but whenever i open my daily record app, i then have to twiddle my fingers for 5 minutes whilst it downloads. it wont even download when the ipad is on but that app isnt at te forefront, whereas under ios 6, the thing could be asleep with another app at the forefront and i'd wake up to my newspaper.

very annoying.

hafr
Sep 23, 2013, 05:44 AM
I know some things, such as subscribed calendars, need to be re-added in order to work properly. Have you tried logging out then back in (or deleting and re-installing) the apps in question? Might be worth a shot.

firstapple
Sep 23, 2013, 05:50 AM
Is it possible the app (or apps) in question haven't yet been updated for iOS 7?

allistera
Sep 23, 2013, 05:50 AM
Does anyone know if any third party alarms make use of this yet? Would seem the best type of app to use for this.

aDRock1154
Sep 23, 2013, 06:13 AM
I noticed Pocket (for me anyways) isn't working correctly. Everytime it opens I see "downloading" at the top. It's been updated for iOS 7 and uses background app refresh.

Nikhil72
Sep 23, 2013, 08:18 AM
Background refresh for pocket and Evernote started working perfectly when I Realized I can't force close them. If you let them exist in the background, they update.

My nytimes app loads perfectly every morning. I had to do a reinstall though. And they did release an iOS 7 version.

madeirabhoy
Sep 23, 2013, 09:41 AM
Is it possible the app (or apps) in question haven't yet been updated for iOS 7?

but thats my point, under ios 6 they did this already, so apple touts it as a new feature and its not. under ios 7 it doesnt work for this app, ill try deleting and reinstalling

Zcott
Sep 23, 2013, 09:46 AM
but thats my point, under ios 6 they did this already, so apple touts it as a new feature and its not. under ios 7 it doesnt work for this app, ill try deleting and reinstalling

In iOS 6 it worked only for certain newsstand apps that opted to support it. Now, it's open to all apps if the developers want to use it. iOS 6ís version of this seemed to have been a trial run for this technology.

Depends really on your definition of 'new' but this is a new service for app developers to utilise.

darngooddesign
Sep 23, 2013, 10:06 AM

Has that app been updated for iOS7?