Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

earthian

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2013
Ahmedabad
Hello:
This is my first post and for help.
I have built a HT which has a Denon AVR 3313; Epsom projector and Paradigm Monitor speakers, along with cable TV, Blu Ray etc. I have a LAN with both WiFi and hard wire. The Denon, Sony BluRAy are hardwired to the LAN channels of the WiFi and my MAC is both hardwired to the WiFi as well as can work on WiFi.

The problem is that i am not able to access the MAC from the "Media Server" of the Denon and the Denon is also not seen in my MAC's network. If i connect a Windows PC to the network, the Denon and the PC recognise each other.

How do i make these two friends??

am at my wits end:confused:

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
go into system prefrences then sharing.
click flle sharing
on the options page make sure SMB sharing is turned on.

windows and macs share files differently on the network.
SMB is windows style sharing, and your receiver probably doesn't use AFP which is what macs natively use.

earthian

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2013
Ahmedabad
go into system prefrences then sharing.
click flle sharing
on the options page make sure SMB sharing is turned on.

windows and macs share files differently on the network.
SMB is windows style sharing, and your receiver probably doesn't use AFP which is what macs natively use.

Thanks, i tried that but it doesnt work.

earthian

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2013
Ahmedabad
Do you have the Mac connected via ethernet AND wifi? If so, disconnect the wifi on the Mac.

I have disconnected the Wifi and have just used the cable. yet it doesnt show up:confused:

----------

I have disconnected the Wifi and have just used the cable. yet it doesnt show up:confused:

and secondly, the Sony blu ray player also does not show up on the Mac and neither does the Mac show up on the sony. whereas when i used the windows PC all showed up everywhere.:mad:

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009

----------

and secondly, the Sony blu ray player also does not show up on the Mac and neither does the Mac show up on the sony. whereas when i used the windows PC all showed up everywhere.:mad:

Do you need a DLNA server for it all to work?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Can you see the Denon's web based interface by entering its IP address in Safari like in my screenshot?

nhvriuT.png

Also, check out this site. Batpig knows all about Denon receivers and his site has a lot of helpful info.

----------

Paul:
i am not sure about that. forgive my ignorance but what is a DLNA server?

It is server software you run on your Mac or PC to share media files with client devices like the Denon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dlna

earthian

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2013
Ahmedabad
Can you see the Denon's web based interface by entering its IP address in Safari like in my screenshot?

nhvriuT.png

Also, check out this site. Batpig knows all about Denon receivers and his site has a lot of helpful info.

----------

It is server software you run on your Mac or PC to share media files with client devices like the Denon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dlna

yes,
i can see th edenon thru the web but not from my mac. secondly i removed the DHCP and gave seperate IP addresses to denon, sony and linked them to the router address, like i did for the mac. when i go into finders ( in my mac)and ask it to locate the IP it says it can't???

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
yes,
i can see th edenon thru the web but not from my mac. secondly i removed the DHCP and gave seperate IP addresses to denon, sony and linked them to the router address, like i did for the mac. when i go into finders ( in my mac)and ask it to locate the IP it says it can't???

I don't think you will be able to see the Denon in Finder. I believe there is only a HTTP interface served up to the outside.

http://10.0.1.202/index.asp

So you can go to this link (with your Denon IP) and see the Denon in a browser on a PC but not in Safari on your Mac? I can see mine in OS X Safari.

earthian

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2013
Ahmedabad
I don't think you will be able to see the Denon in Finder. I believe there is only a HTTP interface served up to the outside.

http://10.0.1.202/index.asp

So you can go to this link (with your Denon IP) and see the Denon in a browser on a PC but not in Safari on your Mac? I can see mine in OS X Safari.

sorry: i worded that wrongly. what i meant is that when i go to the denon through safari, i can see it, but when i ask "finders" of my mac to show it in my network, it says it can't. the finders shows the wireless printer, shows my router "cisco" but does not show either the denon or the sony.

i removed the DHCL "on" to "off" and gave seperate IP addresses to all equipments, denon, sony, and the router. i connected everything and my denon started connecting to the internet. after that i connected the mac. now the denon does not connect. it starts hunting. to my limited knowledge, and let me assure you, it is very very limited, there seems to be an IP clash. this is not possible since i gave clear IPs to all? the second reason i say this is that when i try and connect the denon to internet radio, it sort of "hangs up". it does start registering the remote after say a minute or two but still says "no network connection" check config..."

am at my wits end.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
sorry: i worded that wrongly. what i meant is that when i go to the denon through safari, i can see it, but when i ask "finders" of my mac to show it in my network, it says it can't. the finders shows the wireless printer, shows my router "cisco" but does not show either the denon or the sony.

i removed the DHCL "on" to "off" and gave seperate IP addresses to all equipments, denon, sony, and the router. i connected everything and my denon started connecting to the internet. after that i connected the mac. now the denon does not connect. it starts hunting. to my limited knowledge, and let me assure you, it is very very limited, there seems to be an IP clash. this is not possible since i gave clear IPs to all? the second reason i say this is that when i try and connect the denon to internet radio, it sort of "hangs up". it does start registering the remote after say a minute or two but still says "no network connection" check config..."

am at my wits end.

STOP worrying about showing up in Finder. If you want it to see files from your Mac, setup an DLNA server on your Mac and load your files in. Or use itunes and Airplay.... Google DLNA server and go with it.

It won't show up in Finder. That's clearly obvious. Look at other options. Read what has been posted already in this thread. You keep trying to get something to work that most likely won't work at all, but the suggestions made that WILL work you aren't paying attention to.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
sorry: i worded that wrongly. what i meant is that when i go to the denon through safari, i can see it, but when i ask "finders" of my mac to show it in my network, it says it can't.

Finder is not going to show the Denon period as there is no file server on the Denon to be shown. If you can see the Denon at its IP in Safari, then it is on the network. Now you need to install a DLNA server application on the Mac and the Denon will see that, and through that your media files.

I believe the reason the Denon sees the PC is Windows includes a "media server" package that supports DLNA with it by default. You will need to add this to the Mac.

Try searching the forums here for "dlna server" and you will find some suggestions for what package is best. I don't currently use DLNA, so have no suggestions for you.

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
^ Yes, as stated above, your Denon is looking for a DLNA server. That is what is meant by "Media Server".

I have a DLNA server installed on my Linux box, but, frankly, I never use it. Why would I? I have Apple TV, and I can just AirPlay anything either to the Apple TV or (audio only) to my Denon receiver.

i removed the DHCL "on" to "off" and gave seperate IP addresses to all equipments,

I assume you mean that you turned DHCP off.

It's best never to do that. If you do, then you are taking responsibility for giving each piece of equipment a unique IP address (within your subnet) and setup is not always easy. If you want each piece to have a consistent IP address, there is a better way. Most routers give you the option of setting specific IP addresses in DHCP. You will need to know the MAC address (e.g. Ethernet address) of the equipment. How you set this up is router-dependent. I use OpenWRT (open-source router software) and it's quite easy to set-up. OpenWRT also runs a DNS server, so you can also add a convenient domain name.

This way, the equipment still makes a DHCP request, but it is given the same consistent IP address every time.

You can still have a pool of addresses for DHCP assignment of devices that haven't had a fixed-address set-up. I use this for guests.

Last edited:

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
there seems to be an IP clash. this is not possible since i gave clear IPs to all?

is it possible you gave out an address that was already assigned by the router?
possibly by a phone, or other laptop.

on your router you will have the DHCP start IP address and "maximum number of users" or something similar, i'm using the language from my linksys.
on mine, the start IP is 100 and the Max number is 50.
so any address from .100 to .149 (it doesn't' go to 150 because you have to count the 100) can be assigned by the router, if you are making static IPs you want to be outside that range.
.1 will be used by the router, so don't use that. otherwise anything up to .255 is valid.

earthian

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2013
Ahmedabad
Thank you, all of you. Shall try out all suggestions during the weekend. Am off, unfortunately, for a business trip, and hence i would have to wait.
But many thanks to all:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.